Lions @ Packers GDT: Sunday, Jan. 8th, 7:20 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

German_Panzer wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:35
Drj820 wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:25
Just listened to the rodgers presser..he done done. Bye bye.
He sounded like its retirement vs another Pack season. And I do not think he will throw away how many $$$?

What do you say to texas‘ considerations about Rodgers‘ thumb being his main problem, reasoning that he did well early, then our losing streak coincidencing with his thumb injury as well as today where he supposedly re-aggrevated it?
Perhaps. During our winning streak he looked more like his old self. Tonight before he reinjured it his WRs had the dropsies.

But as I think about tonight IMO the turning point in the game was Jones' fumble. We were marching down the field and in a good rhythm until then. We never really got it back after that...

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
He sounded like its retirement vs another Pack season. And I do not think he will throw away how many $$$?

What do you say to texas‘ considerations about Rodgers‘ thumb being his main problem, reasoning that he did well early, then our losing streak coincidencing with his thumb injury as well as today where he supposedly re-aggrevated it?
The thumb didn’t make the defense suck, the thumb didn’t make the offense abandon the run for long stretches, the thumb didn’t make 12 toss up desperation deep balls on third downs…if anything the thumb should have prevented some of that stuff and it did not. The thumb may have affected his accuracy, but we could have still won many of those games. We lost games against terrible teams with terrible qbs like the commanders and jets because we are really bad when in a dog fight. We have to pounce early like we did against the Vikings. We are great front runners. Only games all year we responded well to adversity at all was cowboys game and Miami game after Tuas brain was scrambled eggs
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:42
lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:27
German_Panzer wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:16

This is why I see MLF play MiLF to Rodgers and sell house to keep him. Before this game I was kind on his side but this one opened my eyes. This was Playoffs, do or die, and Rodgers did look old. This Rodgers is like the late Favre: not carrying a team anymore and collapsing in crunch time. If!!! Rodgers stays we need to find a way to mega p.iss him off for that seems to be the only fuel left working to make him an above average QB.
If they keep Rodgers the whole offense needs an overhaul. For as good as Watson is he’s a rookie. Doubs looks just like a possible good WR2 if he can be consistent with his hands. Gotta get rid of Lazard. He’s awful. Cobb is an average slot at this point at best. This is the worst TE group in the league by far IMO. Dillon is average at best as well. There are pieces to work with at OL.

Something drastic needs to happen at WR for this offense to get back to where it needs to be.
I don't think Lazard is awful. He is a nice WR to have around doing the dirty work (he is a great blocker and should be a TE) but he isn't a #1. Watson could be that guy in the future. (Adams wasn't so hot early on either.) Doubs has potential. I hope WR is a priority in this upcoming draft. Cobb isn't even average. He disappears a lot. TE is an area we must address. Most of the top teams today have a good to great pass catching TE. Tonyan isn't the answer. I'm still not happy with RT. They had to sit Nijman and Tom struggled too.
Lazard is at best an average WR3. He has a possession skill set with hands that are questionable. He doesn’t separate well and he’s been bullied by DBs in press quite easily. You can’t make as many mistakes as he does and not be an explosive player. He would be out of the league in a year if he wasn’t in the Packers.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:46
German_Panzer wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

The thumb didn’t make the defense suck, the thumb didn’t make the offense abandon the run for long stretches, the thumb didn’t make 12 toss up desperation deep balls on third downs…if anything the thumb should have prevented some of that stuff and it did not. The thumb may have affected his accuracy, but we could have still won many of those games. We lost games against terrible teams with terrible qbs like the commanders and jets because we are really bad when in a dog fight. We have to pounce early like we did against the Vikings. We are great front runners. Only games all year we responded well to adversity at all was cowboys game and Miami game after Tuas brain was scrambled eggs
The defense did suck. Later in the 4th when we still had a lead they couldn't get off the field to even give the thumb a chance.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

If the thumb was that bad, then it would have been better to play Love for 3 games while the thumb got 100% and then had healthy thumb the rest of the way. That would have been great…we could have seen what Love is all about, and let rodgers get healthy for a late season push. Either the thumb wasn’t the cause of all these issues…or someone didn’t have the stones to sit rodgers down for a few games so we could do what was best for the team. Which is also part of the problem..Rodgers does what he wants, rodgers runs the O, rodgers has neutered “Matt”, as rodgers likes to call him.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Some horrible play calling this game

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:53
German_Panzer wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

If the thumb was that bad, then it would have been better to play Love for 3 games while the thumb got 100% and then had healthy thumb the rest of the way. That would have been great…we could have seen what Love is all about, and let rodgers get healthy for a late season push. Either the thumb wasn’t the cause of all these issues…or someone didn’t have the stones to sit rodgers down for a few games so we could do what was best for the team. Which is also part of the problem..Rodgers does what he wants, rodgers runs the O, rodgers has neutered “Matt”, as rodgers likes to call him.
Or perhaps they think right now AR is the better QB so you go with the better player when you are in a playoff drive?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:53
Some horrible play calling this game
There were some terrible plays called but the execution was horrendous at times too. This loss was a total team effort. :P

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Very happy to read Drj's posts this morning. The thumb is a terrible crutch. It is an excuse with no substance.

Beyond the accuracy issues, I am most disappointed in the decision making. That 3rd down where the Lions brought a 2 ILB blitz and Rodgers heaves it down the sideline for a 0% chance catch rather than know that Allen Lazard will be screaming open over the middle due to the bltiz. A veteran quarterback should have destroyed that blitz. We should have welcomed it. And yet we see this time after time of poor and panicking decision making.

It is time to move on. One year too late. But it is time.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:49
Pugger wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:42
lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:27

If they keep Rodgers the whole offense needs an overhaul. For as good as Watson is he’s a rookie. Doubs looks just like a possible good WR2 if he can be consistent with his hands. Gotta get rid of Lazard. He’s awful. Cobb is an average slot at this point at best. This is the worst TE group in the league by far IMO. Dillon is average at best as well. There are pieces to work with at OL.

Something drastic needs to happen at WR for this offense to get back to where it needs to be.
I don't think Lazard is awful. He is a nice WR to have around doing the dirty work (he is a great blocker and should be a TE) but he isn't a #1. Watson could be that guy in the future. (Adams wasn't so hot early on either.) Doubs has potential. I hope WR is a priority in this upcoming draft. Cobb isn't even average. He disappears a lot. TE is an area we must address. Most of the top teams today have a good to great pass catching TE. Tonyan isn't the answer. I'm still not happy with RT. They had to sit Nijman and Tom struggled too.
Lazard is at best an average WR3. He has a possession skill set with hands that are questionable. He doesn’t separate well and he’s been bullied by DBs in press quite easily. You can’t make as many mistakes as he does and not be an explosive player. He would be out of the league in a year if he wasn’t in the Packers.
it's as though some grade our receivers as though they never look at other teams receiver position, where teams have more then just one great receiver, thats been our situation here for half a decade, instead it's all Rodgers fault for not turning our jags into HOF talent.

Lazard does do the dirty work, he's usually dependable, but we've needed better receivers then him for 5 years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

You could make a "blame" argument for any number of failures.

Dropped passes: Doubs, Dillon, and Lazard at key times from the top of my head.

Poor play calls: wtf was that end around call on 4th and inches from our own 30?? The defensive alignment was SCREAMING for a QB sneak. That was the most egregious from a long list of them.

Poor defensive assignments/tackles: the Justin Jackson run through two defenders for a 1st down on 3rd and long stands out. So does Jaire playing 6 yds off on 4th and 2 and making the tackle too late. Savage half trotting to keep up with his motion responsibility on another 4th down call. It's like they have no sense of situational urgency.

Turnovers: Jones' fumble while driving for halftime two-score lead. Rodgers panics and heaves up another 3rd down INT when pressured. Stars players not playing like stars.

Stupid, STUPID penalties.

This was a total team failure. The "big-time" players making crucial mistakes. Role players not fulfilling their roles. Immature players displaying a complete lack of discipline. A HC choosing to be cute rather than just get the gimme 1st down.

All the right things done to bring this team back from the brink of extinction 4 weeks ago came back to bite them in the ass last night. It's like the focus they had to get back into the playoff picture went totally out the window when they had the opportunity in hand.

That's a leadership issue and it starts with Matt LaFleur. He has shown a persistent inability to keep this team focused in big moments. It doesn't end there, though. It extends through those veteran players and locker room "leaders". Rodgers, Cobb, Lewis, Campbell, Amos, Alexander. They all failed in reeling in a young team who aren't good enough to just show up and win.

A disappointing end to a tumultuous but, in the end, competitive season.

The team that played against the Vikings last week could've beat anyone in the playoffs. Would've loved to see what that team could have accomplished. The one that showed up last night, though, had no business even in the playoffs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

pretty much encapsulates my thoughts, good post APB.

total team loss, from coaching to just about every position group, we left our A game on the field against the Vikings and reverted back to the disappointing team we had been most of the season

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
09 Jan 2023 08:09

Dropped passes: Doubs, Dillon, and Lazard at keys times from the top of my head.

Poor play calls: wtf was that end around call on 4th and inches from our own 30?? The defensive alignment was SCREAMING for a QB sneak. That was the most egregious from a long list of them.

Poor defensive assignments/tackles: the Justin Jackson run through two defenders for a 1st down on 3rd and long stands out. So does Jaire playing 6 yds off on 4th and 2 and making the tackle too late. Savage half trotting to keep up with his motion responsibility on another 4th down call. It's like they have no sense of situational urgency.

Turnovers: Jones' fumble while driving for halftime two-score lead. Rodgers panics and heaves up another 3rd down INT when pressured. Stars players not playing like stars.

This was a total team failure. The "big-time" players making crucial mistakes. Role players not fulfilling their roles. Immature players displaying a complete lack of discipline. A HC choosing to be cute rather than just get the gimme 1st down.

All the right things done to bring this team back from the brink of extinction 4 weeks ago came back to bite them in the ass last night. It's like the focus they had to get back into the playoff picture went totally out the window when they had the opportunity in hand.

That's a leadership issue and it starts with Matt LaFleur. He has shown a persistent inability to keep this team focused in big moments. It doesn't end there, though. It extends through those veteran players and locker room "leaders". Rodgers, Cobb, Lewis, Campbell, Amos, Alexander. They all failed in reeling in a young team who aren't good enough to just show up and win.

The team that played against the Vikings last week could've beat anyone in the playoffs. Would've loved to see what that team could have accomplished. The one that showed up last night, though, had no business even in the playoffs.
When it’s a “total team failure” there is someone that gets assigned the blame…the head coach.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
.Poor play calls: wtf was that end around call on 4th and inches from our own 30?? The defensive alignment was SCREAMING for a QB sneak. That was the most egregious from a long list of them.
This!

After the Lion defense shifted, there was a wide gap for our QB to sneak through for what should’ve been an easy first down. We couldn’t have asked for any better. But if our HOF QB isn’t bright enough to see that and make it happen, then he isn’t as good as we would hope.

Tragically, he did that very same thing (run a sneak) just a little later! And it worked for the first down too!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This game has irony written all over it. It was a virtual repeat of the first game. We didn’t have the three interceptions. But it was otherwise almost identical. We didn’t learn how to defeat that the first time. And we didn’t learn how to defeat it again the second time.

Rodgers put the burden on his shoulders by the fourth quarter. But he clearly didn’t or couldn’t do enough. That’s what has happened in so many Januaries recently. The offense goes to sleep.

Jared Goff is a better QB than Rodgers right now. He exemplifies how to make sustainable passing and drives happen. So, he forces defenses to honor the play action. Rodgers still has terrific passing ability. But he trusts himself too much, so he wants to go downfield too much. I think the defenses realize that and bait him into seeing things that just aren’t there (because they’ll react and cover what they “reveal” as a weakness).

I have no ill feelings if Rodgers wants to continue to play in 2023 - somewhere else. I will always be a fan of his. But I’m ready for Love!

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:

Dropped passes: Doubs, Dillon, and Lazard at keys times from the top of my head.

:clap:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

At least the kid owned up to it and didn't make excuses

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Jan 2023 08:39
This game has irony written all over it. It was a virtual repeat of the first game. We didn’t have the three interceptions. But it was otherwise almost identical. We didn’t learn how to defeat that the first time. And we didn’t learn how to defeat it again the second time.

Rodgers put the burden on his shoulders by the fourth quarter. But he clearly didn’t or couldn’t do enough. That’s what has happened in so many Januaries recently. The offense goes to sleep.

Jared Goff is a better QB than Rodgers right now. He exemplifies how to make sustainable passing and drives happen. So, he forces defenses to honor the play action. Rodgers still has terrific passing ability. But he trusts himself too much, so he wants to go downfield too much. I think the defenses realize that and bait him into seeing things that just aren’t there (because they’ll react and cover what they “reveal” as a weakness).

I have no ill feelings if Rodgers wants to continue to play in 2023 - somewhere else. I will always be a fan of his. But I’m ready for Love!

:-)
Rodgers didn't have the pass protection Goff had, those down field throws while looking bad where the result of no one open on the first read and having to heave it some where a split second later, at least with most that I remember.

our OL got beat by the Lions DL, imo that was the crux of of our offensive problems, yes we had some dropped passes and a costly fumble, and a few errant throws, but mostly stuff we could have over come if the line just blocked a little better.

Rodgers appeared worn out, I think he's going to retire.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 09:00
At least the kid owned up to it and didn't make excuses

Hope he learns to think and not react blindly in between the whistles. :nono:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

The most disappointing part of the game for me was I had convinced myself that the o-line issues early in the season were the main reason we weren't playing well on offense. Last night we had our preferred o-line for the 2nd time this year and they got manhandled. I'm not sure if it's talent or if they just are taught that way, but it sure looked like the Lions were off the ball faster and playing with more fight. Everyone one of them had a pile of mistakes including Jenkins and Bak. Even in run blocking we were just standing guys up instead of attacking them.

I wish I knew if it was Rodgers or play design but the Lions did the same thing on defense last night that they did in the first game, which is have the ILBs attack lhe LOS and leave gaps behind them. Once Jones fumbled we stopped dinking and dunking and went for the big play again!

I'm beginning to hate head coaches who call the plays. I would rather our HC be the game manager and let the OC & DC call the games. I have been consistent with my feelings that MLF is not a good play caller even when we won 13 games each year.

Lastly, teams reflect their coaches and we are a soft team. Every time we get bullied we lose.