2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Nov 2022 12:12
BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2022 08:37
uses that size. Reminds me of a Garrett Wilson, but damn his COD and get off on the line is impressive.

Quentin Johnston TCU, This year's freak, not sure his size without looking it up, but looks like a 6'4" 230 with a 4.3 speed and not fair COD for the size. Seems like a pretty damned polished WR as well, route running, he could learn to catch better, but everything else is so impressive.
We have one of those.
And I would love another.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2022 12:21
wallyuwl wrote:
BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2022 08:37
uses that size. Reminds me of a Garrett Wilson, but damn his COD and get off on the line is impressive.

Quentin Johnston TCU, This year's freak, not sure his size without looking it up, but looks like a 6'4" 230 with a 4.3 speed and not fair COD for the size. Seems like a pretty damned polished WR as well, route running, he could learn to catch better, but everything else is so impressive.
We have one of those.
serious now, why do you think Guty will spend another high pick on a receiver, the guy has neglected to do that till just this year, I could see a later round guy, but not before round 3 or 4.

Bahk has been to inconsistent with his knee for me to have faith he has more then a year or so left, and while Nijman has played well he seems limited as a run blocker, to me this is a good time to take a tackle.

we may need a safety or two, minus Smith and we can add edge rusher to the list also.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
30 Nov 2022 12:37
BF004 wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

We have one of those.
serious now, why do you think Guty will spend another high pick on a receiver, the guy has neglected to do that till just this year, I could see a later round guy, but not before round 3 or 4.

Bahk has been to inconsistent with his knee for me to have faith he has more then a year or so left, and while Nijman has played well he seems limited as a run blocker, to me this is a good time to take a tackle.

we may need a safety or two, minus Smith and we can add edge rusher to the 1list also.
Not sure what direction we will go, but I don't think WR is a big need anymore. Watson, Doubs, and Lazard are looking to be a formidable 3. Toure is still a wildcard. But we should have Tonyan back to normal and 2 of the better receiving backs in the NFL.

I'm thinking OL, DL, S, OLB in that order. I believe a change at DC will be a bigger help than any on-field talent that we might bring in.

Mostly, I would look for someone with some on field leadership qualities for the defense. Whatever position he might play - it is sorely missing out there. Someone with some emotion and energy out there getting guys fired up. Seems they are always flat emotionally. Reacting and not attacking.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

AmishMafia wrote:
30 Nov 2022 13:29
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

we may need a safety or two, minus Smith and we can add edge rusher to the 1list also.
Not sure what direction we will go, but I don't think WR is a big need anymore. Watson, Doubs, and Lazard are looking to be a formidable 3. Toure is still a wildcard. But we should have Tonyan back to normal and 2 of the better receiving backs in the NFL.

I'm thinking OL, DL, S, OLB in that order. I believe a change at DC will be a bigger help than any on-field talent that we might bring in.

Mostly, I would look for someone with some on field leadership qualities for the defense. Whatever position he might play - it is sorely missing out there. Someone with some emotion and energy out there getting guys fired up. Seems they are always flat emotionally. Reacting and not attacking.
when so much is going wrong it's hard to find a inspiring player, someone to fire others up, Gary is that type, so is Campbell, so is Clark, Alexander, Douglas, the formula for that stuff to happen more is success, thats why Barry needs to go, his game plans are enough to quiet even the most boisterous of players.

OLB depends on the ability to resign Smith, and the progress of Gary from acl, we are seeing good stuff from Enagbare and this new guy Holland.

at safety Ford has looked like a starter, so a lot depends on keeping Amos, Agree a safety would be a hard pass if we lose him.

DL, I sure expected more from Wyatt, it's a tough position for a rookie to do well, but he's been mostly invisible, some of our issues are Barry related, but another big guy that can shed a blocker would help.

DEquara runs hot and cold, one play he destroys the DE, the next he's destroyed, same with his route running, about the same with Tonyan, so a better prospect would obviously improve that situation.

geesh I hate thinking about the draft so early, we still have 5 games to play, and then the play offs, Love is gonna take us to the promised land :clap: :clap: :lol:

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Wyatt looks really good. He hasn't played much, but he is doing some really good reps against some really good OL. He has been playing actively and smartly. It takes at least a year for a DL. Kenny Clark wasn't playing this well as a rookie. About year 3 he blossomed and took the step. I think Wyatt takes the step next year and will be above average. Year 3? He could be an impact player.

But we need someone to be the leader on the field. Encouraging the troops, firing them up. We have some very talented guys on defense, but none of them are pushing the team to kick some butt. Obviously adding a Micah Parsons will boost the team with the talent. But his leadership, I believe, has an equally big impact on the rest of the defense.TBs White, for example. Our starting LBs are about as good - but he has a charisma and attitude that is infectious to all his teammates. We need that.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

AmishMafia wrote:
30 Nov 2022 15:17
Wyatt looks really good. He hasn't played much, but he is doing some really good reps against some really good OL. He has been playing actively and smartly. It takes at least a year for a DL. Kenny Clark wasn't playing this well as a rookie. About year 3 he blossomed and took the step. I think Wyatt takes the step next year and will be above average. Year 3? He could be an impact player.

But we need someone to be the leader on the field. Encouraging the troops, firing them up. We have some very talented guys on defense, but none of them are pushing the team to kick some butt. Obviously adding a Micah Parsons will boost the team with the talent. But his leadership, I believe, has an equally big impact on the rest of the defense.TBs White, for example. Our starting LBs are about as good - but he has a charisma and attitude that is infectious to all his teammates. We need that.
Quay needs to be that guy but he can’t when he is a bad player.

If you don’t have it on the field you gotta have it in the sideline. We don’t have that either with a soft DC and HC.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Quay is just a rookie. Hel be fine.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Nov 2022 16:49
Quay is just a rookie. Hel be fine.
Had a good stretch there before last week.

Had a couple decent games right out of the gate as well.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

We have one of those.
I have no expectations, don't really think you can have any from Gute. I think WR is just one of many possibilities, in round 1, and each round after. So I'm not claiming we are gunna take one early, but I think he's shown it'll be on the table.

I just enjoy 'scouting' WR's the most and think its the one I'm probably best at. I have proven god awful at QB's, RB's, CB's and safeties, so I've basically quit. Every guy I've pound the table there has been bad and visa versa.

At least more than a handful of WR's I've went to bat for have been really really good (DeAndre Hopkins, OBJ, AJ Brown, CeeDee Lamb, etc.). So I just like watching the WR more than most positions, and at least since about 2012, it's been a position of need for the Packers in some capacity.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

AmishMafia wrote:
30 Nov 2022 15:17

Is Campbell a leader like you are describing?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The good news is the Packers appear well positioned talent-wise to really take advantage of whatever BPA opportunity presents itself. :banana: :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pick 15 it is.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'd still like a OT, that can also move inside, David B isn't going to last forever, Nijman lacks run blocking ability, he's sooo slow, and I don't care what the stats show, to often we have trouble establishing a ground game against the better DL's in the league, doesn't have to be a slot 15 pick, second round may have a good prospect available.

at slot 15 we should be in position to take BPA, which most likely will be a pass rusher or WR, never have to many of either in my book, but if there is a blue chip TE prospect I think that would also help this Lafleur offense ( if he's still the coach) TE's take a season to groom, but it sounds like we will have a new QB next year so it's time to build our skill positions around him.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

From a positional standpoint (not from the view of talent that is actually available in the draft), my priorities would be:

1. Edge. Get another pass rusher, so that Gary (coming off major injury) isn’t the only one.
2. WR. Doubs and Watson (even Toure) might have great futures ahead of them. But we need to stock the cupboards for our next QB.
3. Safety. Amos is getting older and might not be back anyhow. I don’t want the others as our starters long-term.
4. DLine. Prepare to have a D that actually can dominate.
5. CB. Stokes coming off major injury and I don’t want Rasul any more.
6. QB. Rodgers will be gone. Love needs support.
7. OLine. We seem to always find good OLine players in the mid rounds.
8. Head Coach. Since that can be done now, trade for Peyton. We know what he can do. Let go of MLF as he doesn’t motivate or discipline his players well enough.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

A lot depends on whether they can resign Lazard and Tonyan and Amos.

The elephant in the room is whether they finally trade Rodgers or he retires. If they don't and he doesn't there is no way they keep Love as he has to be royally pissed about the way the team has screwed him over/

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:32

8. Head Coach. Since that can be done now, trade for Peyton. We know what he can do. Let go of MLF as he doesn’t motivate or discipline his players well enough.
I don't want another Mike McCarthy. I see no advantage of Sean Peyton more than simply a name. He is literally the same track record as Mike McCarthy who for some reason is viewed as "better" than Mike McCarthy.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:49
Scott4Pack wrote:

I don't want another Mike McCarthy. I see no advantage of Sean Peyton more than simply a name. He is literally the same track record as Mike McCarthy who for some reason is viewed as "better" than Mike McCarthy.
Look at his offensive schemes vs McCarthy’s and maybe you can figure it out
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:49
Scott4Pack wrote:

Noted. McCarthy is currently employed and isn’t likely available. Peyton might be. And whether we liked them or not, they both have been very successful and that is nothing to dismiss. I personally think that Peyton might be a little better, as he is less risk averse than MM. And that is an issue that has bugged me about MLF.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Another loss on the season would have only put us to Pick #13. So really getting that extra win didn't mean anything in terms of draft selection.

The real way we could have jumped the draft boards was losing two more games. NE, CHI, DAL and MIA are probably the games that coulda/shoulda lost but didn't.

Overall we don't have that 2018 "Jets" moment to complain much about this year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

1.) Safety

A playmaker at S does wonders for a defense. We have lots of solid guys but I want a star player here.

2.) Tight End

Not only does the Kubiak system run way better with a TE that can make plays, Love has shown he actually throws over the middle of the field, so we might actually use the position for a change.

3.) D-Line

Loved what I saw from Wyatt and Slaton late, and Clark is a stud, but we can use another player in Wyatt's mold. DL is the most important position group IMO after QB, look at Philly's resurgence.

4.) EDGE

Gary is our #1, Enagbare looks like he can be a #2 guy, but you need rotational depth. Hollins was solid but after him we have nothing.

5.) reeSEEEEver

Watson is our WR1 of the future. Although I feel good about Doubs and Toure at the other spots, neither have not shown quite enough for me to rule out drafting a WR high, and we will need depth regardless. Also, it would be awesome if in our first season without Rodgers we finally draft a Round 1 receiver (not that I think Rodgers has had a lack of good talent at WR for most of his career).

6.) Returner

We saw this importance of a good one, let's not go back to neglecting this. Ideal position for this IMO is RB because we will need to move on from Jones in the not-too-distant future, and even if we want to roll with Dillon as our workhorse 'back, I would like a #2 guy who's more electric with the ball.

All other positions, we can use depth, but I don't see them as "needs" in the sense that they will likely need guys who would foreseeably start or take significant snaps.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto