Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I totally agree. Quay was sorry. He was just keyed up and acting like a killer. We need more guys who think they are killers. He said he was sorry. If I’m coach I’m secretly telling him “Job well done”
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
09 Jan 2023 14:15
APB wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:34
texas wrote:
09 Jan 2023 04:22
People are going to &%$@ on Quay but he has the type of attitude that we have been missing in GB for a long time. Happy to see him get ejected for going after a non player for the 2nd time this season. We want guys who do that every once in a while rather than losers who wax poetic or hang their heads in their towels.

I also want to know what that Lions trainer was doing to make both Quay and Wyatt angry with him. Sounds like he did something to have it coming!
There’s playing tough and being an enforcer on the field…and then there’s shoving a 170 lb trainer trying to gain access to his injured player.

You’re so hell bent on this “thug” mentality thing, you’ve lost sight of what it actually means.
Nope you guys are all wrong.

Would I rather Quay did this off the field or after the game so that he didn't get ejected? Sure. But this type of thing is a sign that he lacks the emotional control and forethought of the type of guy who would let the big moments get to him. He also is motivated to violence by revenge and perceived slights. He has a high time preference. That's exactly the type of mentality we are usually missing because we pick the lovable losers (or "Packers people") who tend to get shellshocked.

As The Seahawks GM said when he picked the LOB, he wants guys who would win in a street fight. Hard to win a street fight when you have the type of personality who never gets into street fights.
Uga didn’t win a National title for almost 40 years because they wanted choir boys. Then Kirby came in and recruited some killers and…surprise…uga wins a title with quay and Wyatt. It’s no coincidence.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If Lafleur really wants to get froggy about what quay did and he wants to cut him, quay would be picked up tomorrow and starting for another team. He’s a good player.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I said a similar thing when Quay got flagged for the body slam; I was fine with that.

I can't agree on this one, though. The play was over long ago when he got the ejection. Players should be attentive between plays, not aggressive. For one thing, they need to be paying attention to what the other team is doing. For two, the more obvious part, aggression between plays leads to penalties/ejections.

I am for over-aggression, but there has to be an On/Off switch. If it's always On then it becomes counter-productive. See the 2015 playoff game where Burfict and Pacman cost Cincy a playoff game in 2015 because of personal fouls. Cincy has yet to win a SB, never did with those two.

In truth, that's what the Reed/Quay penalty combo reminded me of, and was the point at which I realized GB was probably going to lose last night.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 14:29
texas wrote:
09 Jan 2023 14:15
APB wrote:
09 Jan 2023 10:34

There’s playing tough and being an enforcer on the field…and then there’s shoving a 170 lb trainer trying to gain access to his injured player.

You’re so hell bent on this “thug” mentality thing, you’ve lost sight of what it actually means.
Nope you guys are all wrong.

Would I rather Quay did this off the field or after the game so that he didn't get ejected? Sure. But this type of thing is a sign that he lacks the emotional control and forethought of the type of guy who would let the big moments get to him. He also is motivated to violence by revenge and perceived slights. He has a high time preference. That's exactly the type of mentality we are usually missing because we pick the lovable losers (or "Packers people") who tend to get shellshocked.

As The Seahawks GM said when he picked the LOB, he wants guys who would win in a street fight. Hard to win a street fight when you have the type of personality who never gets into street fights.
Uga didn’t win a National title for almost 40 years because they wanted choir boys. Then Kirby came in and recruited some killers and…surprise…uga wins a title with quay and Wyatt. It’s no coincidence.
this is beyond idiotic, ya don't want either of these types, what Walker did said more about his IQ, and lack of ability restraining himself in a charged up atmosphere then it does anything else, it was stupid.

who cares what the GM said from Seattle, that team is hardly a team I'd value duplicating, besides over all great coaching is what made them great, during the legion of boom years not a bunch of deplorable thugs on the roster, this is Texas little fantasy, and nothing but his personal feelings, it's hardly the make up of winning teams, anyone can correlate stupid over emotional players into thuggery being a good thing, doesn't mean it's true, typically what you get is thrown out of the game, being a tough aggressive player who doesn't act like a teen age fool is what ya want.

I don't know where this choir boy BS comes from, seriously, why people think that of any of our players, or even Lafleur is more childish crap, people have always viewed losing with being weak, and one usually has nothing to do with the other, this is the kind of talk ya here from people that have no freaking idea why losses happen, and try and sell this macho bs crap as though it's real. :box:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

In reality, there were 3 personal fouls on that play. Reed hit the RB with a forearm/ Quay pushed the trainer. And then Wyatt elbowed the trainer also. If Quay got ejected, so should Wyatt. What do you guys think? Is a suspension for Walker and Wyatt coming?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 14:51

If Lafleur really wants to get froggy about what quay did and he wants to cut him, quay would be picked up tomorrow and starting for another team. He’s a good player.
why would you jump to the conclusion Lafleur or Guty would cut him, everyone knows Walker is a very good player, but he fked up, ya don't get to pull that BS and not get your ass chewed for it, you and Tex are way out and pissing in the pasture if you think this crap is what coaches and GM's are looking for, to funny :rotf:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Re Quay, he is a ROOKIE. Time will tell if he is coachable or not. He clearly has athletic ability for his position. Show me how he is taking plays off and I think we can discuss bigger problems.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

So what is the reasoning behind seemingly all of Packer Nation wanting Joe Barry fired? I know everyone has been in lockstep, but what are the specific instances of things which led to this conclusion? I sort of avoided the debate all year, but at no point did the defense perform badly enough for me to think that he should be fired.

What I saw was:
1) A general regression to the mean of a lot of players
2) Some injuries, particularly Devondre (notice that our defense magically declined when he got hurt and then magically became decent again when he came back)
3) An offense that was tremendously bad at times and thus made the defense stay on the field a lot

Were there some specific head-scratchers that cause you all to feel this way? Or was it because you don't like his scheme? I honestly don't know the reasoning because everyone seems to have skipped that part of the argument and just gone straight to the conclusion. And everyone is in unanimous agreement.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

TheSkeptic wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:02
In reality, there were 3 personal fouls on that play. Reed hit the RB with a forearm/ Quay pushed the trainer. And then Wyatt elbowed the trainer also. If Quay got ejected, so should Wyatt. What do you guys think? Is a suspension for Walker and Wyatt coming?
I just want to know what that trainer said to our guys to make more than one of them respond with such hostility.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Why fire Barry:
1. Took 3/4 of the season to bench Savage, at which point Savage realized it was serious and came to play better
2. Continued off coverage and not challenging receivers with our corners (didn't change until after bye, and then reverted last night)
3. Lack of evolution in stopping the run, played mainly 2 gap style which little 1 gap until the last several weeks
4. Lowry over Wyatt and Slaton
5. Didn't listen to what his players were telling right after the first Viking game, took until the bye
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:28
TheSkeptic wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:02
I just want to know what that trainer said to our guys to make more than one of them respond with such hostility.
come on Tex, the Reed hit had absolutely not a damn thing to do with what Walker did, and probably not with the Wyatt bump either,

If anything, if we draft any more Georgia Bull dog players we should probably enroll them in sensitivity training so they consider and have some compassion for there peers

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

texas wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:26
So what is the reasoning behind seemingly all of Packer Nation wanting Joe Barry fired? I know everyone has been in lockstep, but what are the specific instances of things which led to this conclusion? I sort of avoided the debate all year, but at no point did the defense perform badly enough for me to think that he should be fired.

What I saw was:
2) Some injuries, particularly Devondre (notice that our defense magically declined when he got hurt and then magically became decent again when he came back)
3) An offense that was tremendously bad at times and thus made the defense stay on the field a lot

Were there some specific head-scratchers that cause you all to feel this way? Or was it because you don't like his scheme? I honestly don't know the reasoning because everyone seems to have skipped that part of the argument and just gone straight to the conclusion. And everyone is in unanimous agreement.
To start off, now that we are eliminated, we can get dibs on the best candidates.

More to the point, the D never played like the sum of its parts other than one game, Week 17. And given what we lost on offense (Davante and MVS), we needed the D to be that dominant this year to keep games within reach for a lesser offense and put them in position for easy scoring drives through turnovers and such (or scoring FOR them if necessary).

It's less about how bad the unit was and more about the fact that they were not great, after we had built it up to be great. Barry is probably just not a good enough defensive mind to ever lead a great defense. His solid-but-not-spectacular defense last year is probably the best you are gonna get from him. At his best, he's decent. At his worst, he's REALLY bad (0-16 Lions due in no small part to awful defense).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:26

What I saw was:

I have no problem at all with keeping Barry. After so many coordinators not working out, I start to look at the HC. I agree that a lot of players just came back to the mean. Also, we had like one good pass rusher. I don’t think Barry was high on the list of problems. A problem sure, but we lost due to rodgers, new OC, new OL coach, and Lafleur.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Lovey Smith is available!

;-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:33
Why fire Barry:
1. Took 3/4 of the season to bench Savage, at which point Savage realized it was serious and came to play better
2. Continued off coverage and not challenging receivers with our corners (didn't change until after bye, and then reverted last night)
3. Lack of evolution in stopping the run, played mainly 2 gap style which little 1 gap until the last several weeks
4. Lowry over Wyatt and Slaton
5. Didn't listen to what his players were telling right after the first Viking game, took until the bye
Barry thrilled everyone last year. I remember threads about how we should appreciate him and making those of us who didn’t like the hire (me) eat crow….if after one bad year we can the coordinator, NOBODY of any reputation will sign up to be our coordinator. We lost because of the O. The d was fine, just not as good as we all hoped and dreamed.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We lost mostly because of the offense, but the D was not fine. Bottom half by most accounts is not fine.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 09 Jan 2023 16:29, edited 2 times in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 16:27
We lost mostly because of the offense, but the D was not fine. Bottom half by most accounts is not fine.
“We lost mostly because of the offense” and your arrows are out for the DC?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Defense performed far below expectations.

Offense on thin ice.