Matt LaFleur

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:09
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Jan 2023 13:13
Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Jan 2023 12:19
The nagging question in my mind this morning (after Packer loss to Lions) is, “What is different about this year than the last year of McCarthy’s tenure?”

The one thing I would say is different is that injuries hit us very hard at the start of this year. Otherwise, the trajectory of the team seems to be going in the same direction. Would love other opinions about this.
I've tried to wipe 2018 from my memory, but at first glance, this team has a lot more talent. We basically did not have a RG that year and our #3 tackle was Spriggs. Outside of Davante and a rookie MVS, the receivers gave us very little. Jimmy Graham was our top TE (barf). Safety was a mess. We had no viable #2 ILB either.
Yup. And yet we were arguably more competitive in that year than in this one.
I don't think anyone can legitimately say 2018 was a more competitive year than this past one. 2018 was just not good. There was never any fight there. As much as this last loss stings, we did fight and claw our way back into a win and in situation.

My biggest question is, why did we go away from what had worked against Miami and MN?
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 09 Jan 2023 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

3 things:

1) Rodgers' thumb clearly made his throwing suck
2) WRs were as bad as we feared
3) OL also sucked

Improve those 3 things and we're back to being the top dawg in the NFC. MLF doesn't appear to be on the same level as Kyle Shanahan (who is maybe the best coach in the NFL), but we really don't know enough about MLF yet and won't until Rodgers leaves and he can make his own scheme.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:15
Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:09
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Jan 2023 13:13

I've tried to wipe 2018 from my memory, but at first glance, this team has a lot more talent. We basically did not have a RG that year and our #3 tackle was Spriggs. Outside of Davante and a rookie MVS, the receivers gave us very little. Jimmy Graham was our top TE (barf). Safety was a mess. We had no viable #2 ILB either.
Yup. And yet we were arguably more competitive in that year than in this one.
I don't think anyone can legitimately say 2018 was a more competitive year than this past one. 2018 was just not good. There was never any fight there. As much as this last loss stings there we did fight and claw our way back into a win and in situation.

My biggest question is, why did we go away from what had worked against Miami and MN?
Yeah I agree, in what world did things look better in 2018 lol

That team was a team lacking in talent who also lost all their fight and gave up. Reeked of dysfunction all over the place. Rodgers was in a clear decline for no obvious reason and no reason to think he would necessarily get back into form.

This team has lack of talent at a couple positions but other than that, no similarities.