Black Monday - Coaching Changes

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:08
Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:03
Jim HARBA is a favorite to land the Broncos HC job:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ne ... c6d6af5a83

If so, we gotta go after Evero hard for D-Coord.
I agree, but why would Evero leave Denver, except to land a HC gig?
We'll see if he gets any offers for HC, but part of MLF's job is to hire quality coordinators; that includes selling them the idea of coaching here where they may not have otherwise been interested.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:20
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

We'll see if he gets any offers for HC, but part of MLF's job is to attract quality coordinators; that includes selling them the idea of coaching here where they may not have otherwise been interested.
The more we fire coordinators...the harder it is going to be to attract coordinators.

"Hey welcome to Green Bay where I have fired 2 STs Coordinators and 2 Defensive Coordinators in 4 seasons. Oh and I think I might be demoting my Offensive Coordinator too....so when do you want to start?"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:20
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

We'll see if he gets any offers for HC, but part of MLF's job is to hire quality coordinators; that includes selling them the idea of coaching here where they may not have otherwise been interested.
thats not as simple as it sounds, I'am thinking Matt had to corner Russ Ball in his office and threaten bodily harm to land Bisaccia, imo it's why we do so much of the promote from within, we start them with low pay, and they accept what we give to stay, as soon as the recognized they leave for better money, not always obviously, but I still think it's the driving for for promoting Stenavich over bringing in a better , more experienced OC last year.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jan 2023 09:17
AmishMafia wrote:
09 Jan 2023 08:55
MLF has made some mistakes. But he is young and extremely successful. He is evolving and will get better as the years go on. There is no way we let him go.

Gute has likewise been very successful. His drafts have been very bold - still am impressed with the Jaire draft as the best "working if a draft board" by a GM. His FA moves have been well above average. His biggest black mark is resigning Rodgers. Going back in time we trade him to the broncos for 2 1s and 2 2nds. Which would likely be top 10 picks and we would be sitting very nicely.

Berry - yup gotta go. Off coverage on 4th and 2? I just don't get it. I understand he has a "don't get beat deep concept" - but change it up on 4th and 2!

Rodgers - he just plain old lost it. His excuses are getting old and he knows it. A couple of nice throws but a few really bad ones that got picked. Doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy beyond 20 yds. Time to hang them up.

Going forward I think what we need most of all on defense is some player leadership.
Let’s see how successful these guys are without 12.
Prior to MLF, Rodgers led team won 13 games in 2 seasons. Rodgers wasn't able to carry the team then and he certainly can't now. With MLF they won 13 in each of the next 3 seasons.

I'm not worried. With Rodgers we are below 500 and he is at a point where he can't elevate his team. Bring on the Love.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Panthers should hang on to interim HC Wilks. He took over a dumpster fire and went 6-6 after they dumped one of the greatest players they ever had in McCaffery

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

What's taking the Packers so long to hire Sean Payton?
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 16 Jan 2023 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Jan 2023 19:04
What's taking the Packers so long to hit Sean Payton?
Should have kept MM.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
11 Jan 2023 20:08
I hope Ed Donatell makes that list.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Jan 2023 20:16
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Should have kept MM.
Because...?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Half Empty wrote:
16 Jan 2023 08:46
wallyuwl wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Should have kept MM.
Because...?
Because LaFleur's football vibe is rated a D. There's nothing left to get excited about. He lacks the ability to inspire greatness.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

How long until Matt hires mike for some role on the staff
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
16 Jan 2023 13:59
Half Empty wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Should have kept MM.
Because...?
Because LaFleur's football vibe is rated a D. There's nothing left to get excited about. He lacks the ability to inspire greatness.
from who, in order to inspire greatness first you have to have players capable enough to be great, and that sure as hell wasn't Lazard or MVS, nor is it guys like Dequara or the other jags that have revolved through the doors of 1265

don't know why fans think Lafluer isn't a capable coach, or that the offensive schemes he brought to the team are less then sound ball management schemes that better skill position players or blocking can't produce better success.

If fans can't see the similarity" between what was on display from the 49ers Saturday and Lafluers offenses even with just Adam and Jones prior to this dismal season go buy some glasses.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
16 Jan 2023 13:59
Half Empty wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Should have kept MM.
Because...?
Have you forgotten about Mike "Massage" McCarthy? 2017 and 2018 were something to get excited about?

I don't understand the pining for Mike McCarthy, not even a little. I liked the guy as a person and coach, but his time here became very stale.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Sean Payton is an elite coach. I beg to differ with this idea that Payton is just McCarthy, he's head-and-shoulders better than Mac. I would love to have him here.

NO has his rights though and wants a 1st for him. Not that coaching isn't important, but player talent is still significantly more important to team success. I would love to have him over MLF.

I don't give up a 1st for him. I could maybe do it if we traded Rodgers within the next few days (i.e. before some team acquires Payton) if we got a late 1st for him, but that ain't happening.

And yeah, it would not be a good look to other coaches we may want to hire at HC in the near future or coordinator positions. Like it or not, MLF has earned some job security. I do think there's reason to believe he's a better coach than you see when Rodgers subsumes his playbook to go play hero ball.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not saying i disagree or not, but why is Peyton better than McCarthy?

Other than just the grass is greener. What does he, has he, will he do that is better than McCarthy? Anything tangible? Or just because.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Payton's record is pretty much the same as MM's. When MM got here he was a great coach although he definitely tailed off.

Imo, the best coaches right now are Shanahan, McVay, and Belichick. I'd probably go with Shanahan overall tbh. I think we did well to get someone from that group, and it entirely remains to be seen what happens when he gets full control of a team, because no, him being HC but also having Rodgers means that he does not have full control. He can tweak certain things and make certain personnel calls but this offense is a result of a negotiation, and until it's not, we won't know if MLF is good or not.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Sean Payton quit (not fired) and team wants a first rounder for him.

MM was booted before the season was even over. (Low as it gets)

Tells ya all ya need to know
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Payton is better despite similar records on-paper because Payton's side of the ball (offense) always performs well, even in their down seasons.

His offenses were good, even great, in losing seasons; it's just that NO's defenses those years were historically bad (and they correctly fired the coaches responsible, i.e. the D-Coords, not Payton) so his good offenses couldn't outscore the opponent.

In McCarthy's bad years, the offenses (his responsibility) were bad. Not sure if that was the case in Dallas last year; I was not paying attention. And frankly, he got away with a lot of mediocrity after 2011, Rodgers winning with pure talent after we would get off to slow starts every year, until we could no longer rely on 12 going Godgers mode.

If Payton comes back and his offense sucks, it will be a first for him.
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
16 Jan 2023 17:52
Payton is better despite similar records on-paper because Payton's side of the ball (offense) always performs well, even in their down seasons.

His offenses were good, even great, in losing seasons; it's just that NO's defenses those years were historically bad (and they correctly fired the coaches responsible, i.e. the D-Coords, not Payton) so his good offenses couldn't outscore the opponent.

In McCarthy's bad years, the offenses (his responsibility) were bad. Not sure if that was the case in Dallas last year; I was not paying attention. And frankly, he got away with a lot of mediocrity after 2011, Rodgers winning with pure talent after we would get off to slow starts every year, until we could no longer rely on 12 going Godgers mode.

If Payton comes back and his offense sucks, it will be a first for him.
It could be said that it was mostly Brees for Payton as 2006 to 2020 were all top 10ish offenses, but 2021, without Brees, was a bottom half offense.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."