YoHo's Early Draft Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

YoHo's Early Draft Thoughts

Post by YoHoChecko »

Season has ended. We're picking 15th

There will be loads of time and threads about various high-profile decisions that need to be made by the team or players, including of course Rodgers, but also big contracts like Bakhtiari, and a decision on Aaron Jones' contract which jumps this year.

Some free agents, too, though not many. Amos, Nixon, Reed, Tonyan, Big Dog

While it's impossible to fully map an offseason blueprint without speculating about them, it's pretty easy to talk draft without doing so. And the SENIOR BOWL is coming right up, so it's time to start paying attention to these guys

Here's what I'm looking for in terms of team needs; obviously can't fill 'em all through the draft, but they're all options to be drafted. This is very early; I need to look, watch, read, much more. But I always like to start with some guys on my radar. I've bolded my favorites

Safety
Whether or not Amos stays or goes, it's time to find someone else for the back end. Amos definitely lost a step this year; Savage was up and down and all around (including the slot). Ford was a really nice pick-up, if he returns, but could be upgraded still
Guys I like:
  1. Brian Branch This is really a one-safety class in terms of high-value, do-it-all guys. That doesn't mean there aren't any other options for role players or developing players, but Branch, projected to be picked right around 15th, is the guy to come in and contribute right away
  • J'Yair Brown (Penn St) and Chris Smith (UGA) are nice 3rdish round options who can play a role early and develop into starting caliber players
  • Brandon Joseph (Notre Dame) might be an under-the-radar guy who's a jack of all trades, master of none. Maybe an Amos-type (4th rounder initially) who is just assignment sure and smart with good instincts
Tight End
Tonyan and Lewis are free agents. Deguara is just a role player. Tyler Davis looked lost on offense in the preseason. The developmental guy on the PS they just signed is a flier. The position could be empty
  1. Darnell Washington: I am obsessed with the notion of this guy joining the team, though his draft stock may be no-man's land for us (late first, early 2nd). If he's there with our second round pick, I run to the podium. He's got Big Dog size and is a blocker for UGA, but he also has Big Dog athleticism--from when he was drafted. His receiving game will need development, but all TEs need development. The upside is outstanding. I can't even imagine what could happen if he spends a year as Lewis' understudy and internalizes that type of mentality and then blossoms into a much much bigger receiving threat over the course of his rookie contract
  • Michael Mayer: Obviously we have to talk about TE1 in the draft class. He's an all-around type like Hockenson was, but not quite as good at blocking as a rookie. He's expected to be drafted around the middle of round 1, so we're in range and we have a need. I was a HUGE Hockenson fan, but this guy is lacking that edge that had me excited. He seems safe, but not special
  • The class is deeeeeep so if we miss out early, there are a ton of options, and it's hard to know how they'll stack in terms of draft order and draft stock. Luke Musgrave (yes, the coach's son) is a really good all around option as a Tonyan replacement, but after missing most of the year with injury, he could be a 2nd rounder (too rich) or a 5th rounder (outstanding value). Sam LaPorta (Iowa) is kind of similar, but a step down for me
  • I am all the way out on Dalton Kincaid. He's like 25 and still has major development in terms of blocking and strength
Offensive Line
Face it: when push came to shove this year, we got no push. Josh Myers is starter-quality, but certainly a disappointment. Jenkins is locked in for a while and seems better at LG than any other position (though Isaiah Buggs ate his lunch last weekend). We can keep Nijman on a tender one more year, and Tom should get much better as he adds strength, but... I'm really looking for a RT with some fire who could be shifted inside to OG in the event that Caleb Jones or Rasheed Walker actually develop. And then a back-up plan for Myers. He might just not be it. I liked the idea of a big center who has strength and guard size, but he's not executing. The good thing about Cs with guard size is they provide interior depth at multiple positions (I remember Hanson; but yeah)
  1. Cody Mauch is my current top choice for "firey RT who could possibly play G if we don't need him outside. He's a finisher. He has Green Bay lineman hair. He's talented enough. He's another NDSU guy so we have those championship bloodlines. He's projected to go somewhere around our second pick, so I now have a conflict of interest between Darnell Washington and Mauch. Given the hoice, it's Washington for me. But this is a name to watch
  • Broderick Jones (Georgia) and Dawan Jones (Ohio St) might be options in round one (D. Jones more of a second rounder to me, but who knows). Dawan is huge, Broderick is more technically sound. They have both had good college careers, though Broderick is safer and Dawan is more projection. I didn't include Paris Johnson here, who is also a round one option and is Dawan's more refined teammate, because 1) I think he's OT2 and off the board before we pick and 2, I just don't love him. He got abused by Georgia's freshman backup EDGE in the playoff game and while that guy is likely a 2025 first-round pick.... meh
  • As always my ideal for the OL position is to mine the middle rounds for athletic outliers and I won't really have a handle on that until measurables start coming in. But expect a LOT more names at this position
  • Steve Avila (TCU) might be a good guard-sized C option in the mid rounds; I hold it against you less if you're abused by Georgia defenders who are going to go top 3 overall in THIS draft and if you're projected to go in the mid-rounds, not round one
EDGE
Enegbare was a nice surprise, but we still need one more piece here to pair with Gary and push Preston Smith into a rotation. Prior to week 10 or so, this was a HIGH level need, but now it's just a premium position where you can upgrade and never can have too much
  1. BJ Ojalari, Nolan Smith, and Dylan Horton are all very talented, second-round edge players with high motors. I would flip for any of the three. Horton MIGHT even last until round 3. Smith is a bit undersized weight-wise, but is actually the best run defender of this group, so I'll allow it. I should probably include Hamilton from Ohio St in this RANGE, but I need to know more about why his intense talent and skills didn't translate to production. That's not necessarily bad (Gary), but it might be.
  • This is another deep position, so I'm focusing a bit more outside of round one, but also because 15th is a weird spot for this year's edge class. Myles Murphy is probably gone, I have questions about Tyree Wilson, who is also probably gone but shouldn't be, and it's too rich for my blood for Luke Van Ness. Jared Verse was a big target for me until he decided to go back to school
  • I genuinely could have included twice as many names for those second round edge players, so I just highlighted my favorites (bold, you see), but it does make me hopeful that some quality edge talent slips into round 3. Doubtful, but hopeful
Wide Receiver
Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs will be a nice core to the corps, if you will. Hopefully we keep (or add) at least one veteran around to keep the learning and development going. But we could use a third option--maybe a dynamic slot (though I'm not going small) or maybe someone good enough to push Doubs into the slot. Preferably someone who can line up anywhere
  • Xavier Hutchinson and Andrei Iosivas are two guys I can't help but gravitate toward. They're both playing at the Senior Bowl I think, so this could change. Hutchinson is a prototype WR, can line up wherever, has good size, gives good blocking effort, is fast enough. He may lack a single elite trait to push him into day one, so he's looking more around a mid-to-late second round choice. He's a guy who may rise in the process if he runs well, because he does everything pretty darn well. Iosivas is almost definitely going to rise. He's baby Watson. Raw, lower level of competition, 6'3" and elite track speed. He's projected around the 4th/5th, but will almost certainly rise. The way our offense relies on the threat of Watson, I want to develop another. Both guys are over 200 pounds and both guys have a physical element to their game. They would fit in perfectly
  • Jaxon Smith-Njigba is someone I can't nail down. On one hand, he could be the dynamic slot weapon I want. On the other, he might go in the first round after a full year of being hampered and mostly completely out with a hamstring injury. On the third, also bad hand, all the write-ups say he lacks a second gear and really elite speed. But, like, I watched him play in 2021 and he was amazing. I wanted him so badly. I'll have to keep processing these emotions to figure it out. The last thing I want is another guy who felt like a dynamic slot, but is actually just a mediocre athlete with perfect college usage.

Stay tuned for more throughout Senior Bowl week. I'll probably just start stringing names into a list like I usually do as guys catch my eye in positive or negative ways. Even this was very limited to what I happen to remember this morning.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
10 Jan 2023 12:27
Good to “see” you YoHo!
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

thanks for contributing your draft analysis, it's about all we have to look forward to now :aok:

I really think getting more consistent play from the OL will help , whomever the QB or RB's are will benefit with that.

And I think Lafleur could max out the ability of a more talented TE.

thanks for posting.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Darnell Washington is a guy who must absolutely be a high risk, high reward guy at TE. He’s a fascinating guy, for sure. Would GB use our pick at 15 for him? I doubt it. But part of me hopes they would. This guy could potentially become dominating like few TEs.

If we compare him to Mercedes Lewis, we need to remember that Lewis was a very viable receiving threat when he was younger.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't think I can ever justify high draft picks on Tight Ends. The correlation of draft value to production just seems to be so skewed at TE. I think TE is better with the volume approach.

But that's always been my theory and it may be outdated.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Top receiving TEs this year within top 50 receivers:
Kelce - 1338
Hockenson - 914
Andrews - 847
Engram - 766
Kittle - 765
Freiermuth - 732

2021:
Andrews - 1361
Kelce - 1125
Pitts - 1026
Kittle - 910
Goedert - 830
Schultz - 808
Gronkowski - 802
Gesicki - 780
Ertz - 763

In my opinion it isn't necessarily where you draft them, but how you use them. I honestly think way too many coaches in the NFL are neglecting the use of the TE.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

At this point in the draft, I think my favorite player in terms of need and likely draft value is Brian Branch. I didn't go into this draft thinking safety with our first pick, but the dude brings a lot of toughness to the position, is a punt returner, and has a lot of plays of breaking up passes / interceptions. He also is not afraid to get his nose dirty by defending the run, blitzing the quarterback or breaking up WR screens.

I'm very intrigued by Branch at pick 15.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

No thanks on Branch. Might as well just keep a Savage. They’re the same player. Small safety that plays small. Branch is slightly more physical but he shys away from contact just as much as Savage and has to deal with it less because of the team he plays for. No thanks. You can get away with taking safeties later and them having impacts. I’m not taking a small safety that early.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Jan 2023 21:23
No thanks on Branch. Might as well just keep a Savage. They’re the same player. Small safety that plays small. Branch is slightly more physical but he shys away from contact just as much as Savage and has to deal with it less because of the team he plays for. No thanks. You can get away with taking safeties later and them having impacts. I’m not taking a small safety that early.
Everything I've seen contradicts this. :idn:
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Last edited by Pugger on 11 Jan 2023 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Huh. Everything I have read and the clips I have seen boast about his tackling.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I agree with a lot of the comments here. That TE in Rd one feels like a luxury; that Branch isn't who I initially imagined as a fit for us. I will say that the idea of "drafting another Savage," though, isn't a bad bargain. Imagine Savage with better football IQ and instincts. Savage's size is not the issue with him. It's his play discipline and finishing.

As for Darnell Washington, I would never at 15. And I would have to talk myself into Mayer at 15 too (likely something like "he's safe and solid and this was widely considered his value).

The team typically prefers to take elite athletes at premiere positions in round one, but the scope of "premiere position" is tricky. Walker plays ILB; not typically a premiere position, if you look at salary scale. S and TE, as well. And we took Savage.

It just so happens right now that we have roster holes at TE and S and high draft capital at those positions feels tricky unless you REALLY hit, so it raises expectations. Bonehead shoving aside, I'm pleased with the Walker results. I'm still wait and see on Savage which is a shame because this was really the year that it often clicks for guys--second year in a system, 4th year in the league. Should have been good. But maybe the benching forced some change.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. I just wanted to pop in and mention this mid-round edge guy from Fresno St who has had two straight very productive years and doesn't seem to be getting any love:

David Perales

Just another name to chew on.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

After further thought, make sure that whomever the Packers draft must be durable, to withstand a long career. Because we sure don’t seem to be going anyplace next year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Tight End round 1 makes sense if it's for Jordan Love. Tight End round 1 for another shot at it with Aaron Rodgers doesn't make sense because Rodgers doesn't utilize tight ends.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
12 Jan 2023 12:23
Tight End round 1 makes sense if it's for Jordan Love. Tight End round 1 for another shot at it with Aaron Rodgers doesn't make sense because Rodgers doesn't utilize tight ends.

is it Rodgers or is it the TE talent? MCCarthy was building his offense around Finley till he was hurt, I remember him saying that, if we brought in a talent TE Lafleur would design plays to use him whomever the QB is.

I've felt for years that position was neglected as much as WR.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2023 13:40
go pak go wrote:

is it Rodgers or is it the TE talent? MCCarthy was building his offense around Finley till he was hurt, I remember him saying that, if we brought in a talent TE Lafleur would design plays to use him whomever the QB is.

This is true, but McCarthy also said that it was wrong in retrospect. Building an offense around a TE forced them to completely reinvent once Finley got hurt. WR's are a little more plug and play. I have always wanted a game breaking TE in this offense and would spend highly to get one, but just saying that I also understand the hesitancy.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
12 Jan 2023 13:45
Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2023 13:40
go pak go wrote:

This is true, but McCarthy also said that it was wrong in retrospect. Building an offense around a TE forced them to completely reinvent once Finley got hurt. WR's are a little more plug and play. I have always wanted a game breaking TE in this offense and would spend highly to get one, but just saying that I also understand the hesitancy.
true, but a Issue Billy B. never had a problem with, his 2 TE schemes where unstoppable, imo NCF if your going to be a running offense which we tend to be increasingly attempting to be, then a receiving TE that can also block seems a must have ingredient.
Last edited by Yoop on 12 Jan 2023 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
both of Savage and Branch are CB's that college made safety's, we new that in Savages 2nd season when he played tjhe star for the last 6 or 7 games, when you look at his coverage stats for that time frame imo it stands out.

Draft tek the bastion of everything football :rotf: has Branch slotted #25 as a CB