What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 08:49
Rodgers wasn't bad in the first half. There were two drops by WRs, so the stats suffered, but Rodgers played fine individually.

Second half he was straight garbo NFCCG Rodgers, which seems to come a week or two earlier every year since 2021.
Agreed. Rodgers did look very good in the first half. Only mishap I saw was the great evasion on 3rd and goal but then missed the throw to Dillon. Otherwise I thought he played great.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So is there anyway to get the team that may or may not trade for 12 to take on some of his dead cap???

Because if Rodgers retires...thats on him i guess.

But if its the orgs decision to move on...somebodies head has to roll right? For giving him a contract that is crippling beyond 22, when he was already under contract for '22? I mean the dead cap is awful. I think its rediculous to give a guy a multi year deal who is threatening retirement anyways...but I guess I could at least stomach that if its 12 that walks away.

But if the org decides they want to move on, after they restructured his deal...thats either one of the most egregious moves ive ever seen.....or maybe this is all just fan chatter and the org def wants 12 back. We know Lafleur does. Maybe they are scared to go on without him and want him under center next year, no matter how ready we are to see what Love is all about.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I actually think there are circumstances where it would be acceptable for Rodgers to return.

He can be no more than a game manager. Either his skills are diminished or his receiver corps just isn’t up to snuff, or his support from leadership isn’t adequate, or all of the above. We can’t humanly expect him to go out and perform up to standards that we had seen in past years, even while he’s still in the shadow of his most recent MVP award. Seems like that was forever ago. But he still had problems scoring points in January, for whatever reason. Anyhow, if GB wants to bulk up our offense more and TRULY feature the running game in a way that it never has since the 60s, then Rodgers could probably captain that well enough. My problem is that I don’t see that happening under MLF.

If this doesn’t occur and the GB Packers don’t commit to this by next week (Mid January 2023), then Aaron should either retire or be traded. He won’t be able to play to his own personal goals. And the team will be hard-pressed to win 9 games in 2023. Adding one more stud WR or TE wouldn’t make that much difference. Would it?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im kind of just tired of Rodgers. Hes the coolest guy in the room when things are going good, but he turns cringe quick when things go bad. The smug looks, cussing out rookies, demeaning the coaches, speaking in word riddles, talking retirement every other week, skipping offseason work, bragging about hallucigenics..just all seems like a guy who isnt ready to grow up...or isnt all in on football. We all know the result at the end of the year already, id rather lose some find our way on a new path.

Of course this is all pretending his cap number wasnt a huge deal
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Considerations for the possible return of Aaron Rodgers to the Packers in 2023.

1. Would it matter if they add one or more stud WRs and/or a stud TE? Our RBs seem good enough, as long as they can hold onto the ball. The OLine is okay and even very good at times.

2. Should 2022 be written off as a freak year? Injuries were incredible to start the year. And it’s plausible to say that the OLine never found its sync for more than a game once the same guys lined up on the field.

3. What about Aaron’s own skill set? It seems he doesn’t see and anticipate what he used to see and anticipate. He misses many open receivers. He doesn’t manipulate the pocket as well as he used to. (He used to be magical at that!) His arm talent is still superb. And yet he misses more passes than ever too. He doesn’t run unless necessary any more. He wouldn’t win a talent matchup with Josh Allen, for sure. But he still does do many things well.

4. What level of desire does he truly have? Did he do enough with his new WRs last off-season? Did he do anything with them prior to TC? Would he do the same this year? Is that okay? If he wants into the playoffs and knows the WRs still need to grow and develop, then he needs to spend the time with them in February and so on. Anything else is make believe.

5. Jordan Love. This kid is as ready as he ever will be by now. Just a few months ago, Rodgers said he was a “master of the playbook” already. I think he makes a strong case to start, or at least have some significant and meaningful playing time. How can he get that if Rodgers is on the same field?

6. Physical. How does this old QB feel physically? I know only he can answer that. But we know that he is getting more dinged up, seemingly every year. He’s as tough as they come too. But is there a point when too much is too much?

7. Intangibles. This entire year, our offense has been BAD in the Red Zone. Yeah, we need more weapons, consistency on the play calling, and on the OLine. But this was just BAD. What can change that, if Rodgers is under center? It used to be that he could carry the team. Not any more.

There’s more that I can’t think of here. I’m not insisting he should retire. But he needs to summon the greatest desire he’s ever had if he wants to return. There is no space for a half-hearted QB on this team. Can he do that, more than in 2022?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Jan 2023 13:41
I actually think there are circumstances where it would be acceptable for Rodgers to return.

He can be no more than a game manager. Either his skills are diminished or his receiver corps just isn’t up to snuff, or his support from leadership isn’t adequate, or all of the above. We can’t humanly expect him to go out and perform up to standards that we had seen in past years, even while he’s still in the shadow of his most recent MVP award. Seems like that was forever ago. But he still had problems scoring points in January, for whatever reason. Anyhow, if GB wants to bulk up our offense more and TRULY feature the running game in a way that it never has since the 60s, then Rodgers could probably captain that well enough. My problem is that I don’t see that happening under MLF.

If this doesn’t occur and the GB Packers don’t commit to this by next week (Mid January 2023), then Aaron should either retire or be traded. He won’t be able to play to his own personal goals. And the team will be hard-pressed to win 9 games in 2023. Adding one more stud WR or TE wouldn’t make that much difference. Would it?
of course it would Scott, look at the change Watson provided.

I've never understood why folks here refused to accept that, 1 (one) player can turn a team around, can instill more confidence from the QB, will garner more first read routes, those are reality's, and we see it happen all the time, instead people point out a open receiver that Rodgers didn't notice and neglect to admit that same receiver rarely is open, or has a poor catch ratio, which means lack of confidence from his QB.

people see a fall off in production, a few errant passes, and rather then accept that poor chemistry will lead to some of that an d just blame Rodgers

I'am fine either way, but I want to win, and I think Rodgers still gives us the best chance to do that.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
10 Jan 2023 13:56
Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Jan 2023 13:41

of course it would Scott, look at the change Watson provided.

I've never understood why folks here refused to accept that, 1 (one) player can turn a team around, can instill more confidence from the QB, will garner more first read routes, those are reality's, and we see it happen all the time, instead people point out a open receiver that Rodgers didn't notice and neglect to admit that same receiver rarely is open, or has a poor catch ratio, which means lack of confidence from his QB.

people see a fall off in production, a few errant passes, and rather then accept that poor chemistry will lead to some of that an d just blame Rodgers

I'am fine either way, but I want to win, and I think Rodgers still gives us the best chance to do that.
What you said is why MLF will still be 100% on board with Rodgers returning. He won’t blink on that. As I’m just a fan, I am not on board with that. Yeah, I still see Rodgers making great reads at the LOS and some of his passes still just have “wow!” All over them. But that isn’t the whole picture for me.

IF we start Love, there is probably some QB digression for a time. But if your offensive scheme is solid, that shouldn’t be a problem. Remember, we’ve seen third string QBs come in and win in this league. Love has done everything that he could to instill confidence.

I suppose the answer lies more in whether the Packers buy in for 100% this year, or long term. If they go for 2023, then they absolutely need to get Rodgers another solid WR and a TE. The current stock of our guys still needs to grow.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Jan 2023 13:27
So is there anyway to get the team that may or may not trade for 12 to take on some of his dead cap???

But if its the orgs decision to move on...somebodies head has to roll right? For giving him a contract that is crippling beyond 22, when he was already under contract for '22? I mean the dead cap is awful. I think its rediculous to give a guy a multi year deal who is threatening retirement anyways...but I guess I could at least stomach that if its 12 that walks away.

But if the org decides they want to move on, after they restructured his deal...thats either one of the most egregious moves ive ever seen.....or maybe this is all just fan chatter and the org def wants 12 back. We know Lafleur does. Maybe they are scared to go on without him and want him under center next year, no matter how ready we are to see what Love is all about.
Again, I don't really think Aaron's contract and the numbers are 'real'. He was pretty adamant, at first, that his contract was never a 3 year $150M contract. I'm guessing his agent and the NFLPA pleaded with him to stop saying that.

I think all we know is that we need to account for about $40.3 million in money we already gave him. Should we cut him or trade him against his will, I think we get slammed with $99M in dead cap. Which was, in my opinion, was the intent of the contract by Aaron. Basically gives him protection from being forced to retire or traded somewhere he doesn't want to go (Like Favre to the Jets).

So again, I think retire, stay or trade, I think the contract will be ripped up and we'll start a new one from scratch. Pretty much only starting point will be the $40.3 is cap we still need to account for from prior years.

If he wants to stay, he will want to reduce his '23 cap hit to a minimum. If we mutually want to part ways, he can make his new contract work with is future team that allows us to trade him. If he retires, I think he'll still rip it up and let us build it however makes sense for both parties.

Some guessing, but I think just looking at sportrac and take those numbers as gospel likely won't be reality.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

There's no way in Hades that Rodgers will retire for real. He may fake it for a short time at most. He is still a viable starter and competitive athletes cannot live without having that challenge in their lives, least of all when he will get $60 mil to do it.

We can safely check that one off the list.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:
Rodgers wasn't bad in the first half. There were two drops by WRs, so the stats suffered, but Rodgers played fine individually.

Second half he was straight garbo NFCCG Rodgers, which seems to come a week or two earlier every year since 2021.
Fully concur. The 2nd half was disgusting. The Packers offense is disgusting right now. The D only gave up 20 points versus Detroit, which is good enough for me. Rodgers needs to go.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
10 Jan 2023 14:19
Drj820 wrote:

Again, I don't really think Aaron's contract and the numbers are 'real'. He was pretty adamant, at first, that his contract was never a 3 year $150M contract. I'm guessing his agent and the NFLPA pleaded with him to stop saying that.

I think all we know is that we need to account for about $40.3 million in money we already gave him. Should we cut him or trade him against his will, I think we get slammed with $99M in dead cap. Which was, in my opinion, was the intent of the contract by Aaron. Basically gives him protection from being forced to retire or traded somewhere he doesn't want to go (Like Favre to the Jets).

So again, I think retire, stay or trade, I think the contract will be ripped up and we'll start a new one from scratch. Pretty much only starting point will be the $40.3 is cap we still need to account for from prior years.

If he wants to stay, he will want to reduce his '23 cap hit to a minimum. If we mutually want to part ways, he can make his new contract work with is future team that allows us to trade him. If he retires, I think he'll still rip it up and let us build it however makes sense for both parties.

Some guessing, but I think just looking at sportrac and take those numbers as gospel likely won't be reality.
I thought this contract could not be restructured...
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
10 Jan 2023 17:09
BF004 wrote:
10 Jan 2023 14:19
Drj820 wrote:

I thought this contract could not be restructured...
Not saying you are wrong, but I have never heard or seen that.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I hope he returns and I think he will. I really don't think he was that bad this year. The only WR on this roster who would have even made the 2010 or 2011 roster is Watson. The OL sucked donkey balls and they look underweight. Rodgers was fine when his thumb was fine. It's not like he's 2015 Manning or 2020 Brees or 2022 Matt Ryan throwing up nothing but ducks. He can still zip it in there.

I was a big proponent of forcing him to adapt to an offense without a #1 WR, and I still think that is a good idea, but I guess we went too far in the opposite direction by giving him only #5 WRs to work with and a line that is worse than it has really ever been for him here. I didn't really see him improve mentally at all, by which I mean that he still had the same bad habits that he always has had which tend to show up in big games, but the other fact of the matter is that we can win a Super Bowl even with those bad tendencies, if everyone else plays well enough. Obv we don't prefer a situation where we are covering up for a guy with a huge salary, but QB (and particularly this QB) is a special situation because he plays at an MVP level for the majority of games usually. I bet Love might even play better right now in cold weather big games, but idk if he could get us to those cold weather big games yet. So I would be in favor of not ripping the band-aid off for another season.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ouch.

Just saw Aaron has only two playoff wins since 2017.

A sentence that’ll make you crinkle your nose.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

texas wrote:
10 Jan 2023 17:36
I hope he returns and I think he will. I really don't think he was that bad this year. The only WR on this roster who would have even made the 2010 or 2011 roster is Watson. The OL sucked donkey balls and they look underweight. Rodgers was fine when his thumb was fine. It's not like he's 2015 Manning or 2020 Brees or 2022 Matt Ryan throwing up nothing but ducks. He can still zip it in there.

I was a big proponent of forcing him to adapt to an offense without a #1 WR, and I still think that is a good idea, but I guess we went too far in the opposite direction by giving him only #5 WRs to work with and a line that is worse than it has really ever been for him here. I didn't really see him improve mentally at all, by which I mean that he still had the same bad habits that he always has had which tend to show up in big games, but the other fact of the matter is that we can win a Super Bowl even with those bad tendencies, if everyone else plays well enough. Obv we don't prefer a situation where we are covering up for a guy with a huge salary, but QB (and particularly this QB) is a special situation because he plays at an MVP level for the majority of games usually. I bet Love might even play better right now in cold weather big games, but idk if he could get us to those cold weather big games yet. So I would be in favor of not ripping the band-aid off for another season.
No way Texas. His attitude was terrible, his performance in the clutch in the 2nd half versus Detroit was terrible. His accuracy is gone. His mobility is gone. His decision making is gone. Plus he's just a strange dude. Time to jettison the fellow as far away from Brown County on a non-stop flight can travel.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
10 Jan 2023 18:02
Ouch.

Just saw Aaron has only two playoff wins since 2017.

A sentence that’ll make you crinkle your nose.
True, right? And yet, we wonder how much of those losses was on Aaron’s shoulders. I think the most common sense approach is that he generally played well enough and that the bigger problems were with other people. We’ve seen that for at least four years running. It’s so unexpected that we almost have to wonder if there’s a curse on the Packers. It’s literally uncanny how we could do so well for the regular season and then face a team that is a notch better than we are. And we still wonder why Aaron Jones fumbles, Rodgers throws poorly, the stout OLine becomes porous, or the D gives up the big plays. It IS more than Rodgers. Yet, Rodgers is a piece of that.

If somebody, anybody could figure how how to right this ship…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
10 Jan 2023 16:57
Labrev wrote:

Fully concur. The 2nd half was disgusting. The Packers offense is disgusting right now. The D only gave up 20 points versus Detroit, which is good enough for me. Rodgers needs to go.
Jimmy, you blasphemer you :rotf:

the digger was the pick, but we both saw Favre end games like that far more often, it was a throw he shouldn't have made, under pressure though, in fact he didn't get his body into the throw, the rest of the game he did alright, others made more mistakes and contributed to this loss more then Rodgers.

I've noticed your dislike for a while, thought it mostly revolved around his Diva attitude and personal stuff, which I don't care for either, but as a player he's gotten the short end of straw when it comes to receiver help.

I do blame him for the lack practice time for him and these new receivers prior to the season, no ota's, or PS games to build some sort of chemistry, the comments that he looked at times as though he didn't care don't escape me, but I think it was more frustration then lack of desire for the team or the game.

I've seen the great 3, the patient game managing of Bart Starr, the unpredictability and durability of Farve, and now the end of the most surgical of the three, when he had a stable of receivers there was hardly a defense that could stop him, thats a heavy torch to pass on to Love, lets hope he's up to the task.
Last edited by Yoop on 10 Jan 2023 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
10 Jan 2023 18:03
texas wrote:

His accuracy is gone. His mobility is gone. His decision making is gone.
Lol no they're not. You see what you want to see.

He's definitely a weird dude though, I'll give you that.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

texas wrote:
10 Jan 2023 18:33
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
10 Jan 2023 18:03
texas wrote:

His accuracy is gone. His mobility is gone. His decision making is gone.
Lol no they're not. You see what you want to see.

He's definitely a weird dude though, I'll give you that.
I saw it live for 4 quarters Sunday night. He should be a goner. But I've read he'll make $59M to stay next year. Could be a turnaround season with only 3 or 4 tough opponents.