Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jan 2023 14:48
Yoop wrote:
10 Jan 2023 13:40
Money isn't the reason we've been losing play off games, the direction our GM has been drafting is, seriously why is that so hard to understand?
yoop: OMG the FO is so stupid, they keep neglecting OL and reeSEEverr, anyone who can't see that is lickin gute's balls!
Yoop wrote:
If Rodgers wants to stay, the FO will most likely let him, why? because they do actually know why this offense struggled this year, and it wont revolve around his contract. your reaching
also yoop: doubling-down on Rodgers at QB is smart because the FO (the one that I just said is stupid and don't know what they're doing) think it's a good idea.
when you have a QB with the skills Rodgers has had, it's not only stupid not to supply him with the best receivers you can possibly get, it a slap in the face of the fans that support this team, you simply dont get that, rather you bow to the insanity of spending most resources on the continuously failed effort to build a top 5 defense, imo Guty squandered the last few years of the best QB the franchise ever had and possibly even a SB birth because of the direction he took with his drafts, I wont blame Ted because by 2016 or so I believe someone else was helping him to finalize his drafts, possibly Russ Ball, who knows, point is the team let that position go to long with out ready to play talent insertion.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
10 Jan 2023 15:47
Yoop wrote:
10 Jan 2023 12:38
Captain_Ben wrote:
10 Jan 2023 12:25

Labrev, I agree with the top half of your post but I disagree with what you say about Rodgers. I don't think he needs a loaded roster in order to win. Think about the Miami game. Our defense was able to force a couple of turnovers. By objective NFL standards, it was a very good defensive performance. To many of us Packers fans who've long been deprived of anything resembling a very good defense, it looked like snow in the Sahara.

I think that most QB's and their offenses are able to rely on their defense to be able to produce a turnover or two per game. That performance we saw in Miami wouldn't be an anomaly for a Tom Brady-led team. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I feel like I could count on one hand the number of times our defense forced 2+ turnovers this season, or over the past 2 seasons for that matter.

It's been said many times, but I really believe that if Rodgers had anything close to a reliable, consistent defense, he'd have more rings, and he'd still contend for a Super Bowl.
well said Ben, you explained that better then I've been trying to, our defense over the years has made it much harder for this offense to win games, specially so against teams with better defenses.

this season to many things didn't click on offense, first the inconsistent ability of the OL then the lack of experience at WR, I feel confident to say if Adams had still been on this team we'd have a few more wins, and probably be playing next week.
Agree. I also think that he was not given enough credit for playing through injury. He played half the season with a broken thumb. When Favre did the same in 2004 (?), we heard every week about how durable he was and how admirable it was that he was playing with a broken thumb. With Aaron it was kind of an asterisk at the bottom of the page- "oh by the way he broke his thumb against NYG and has been playing with it ever since."
again I agree with ya Ben, people that don't think the thumb was the cause of some of the accuracy issue don't want to because it weakens the argument that Rodgers skills have drastically declined :lol: obviously they've declined somewhat, but not to the point that it wouldn't improve (and has) as these young receiver build some chemistry with him.

either way I'am fine if he stays or goes, part of me would like to see him have a very good receiver which I believe Watson will be, and the OL should be better next year, and I still think he's the best option between he and Love to win it all, If he retires or we trade him, so be it, good luck.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

2003, and he did pretty well. If AR couldn't throw decently with that thumb, it's up to somebody to realize that 100% of an untried QB is a better option than 50% of a aging pro.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
10 Jan 2023 16:42
when you have a QB with the skills Rodgers has had, it's not only stupid not to supply him with the best receivers you can possibly get, it a slap in the face of the fans that support this team, you simply dont get that, rather you bow to the insanity of spending most resources on the continuously failed effort to build a top 5 defense, imo Guty squandered the last few years of the best QB the franchise ever had and possibly even a SB birth because of the direction he took with his drafts, I wont blame Ted because by 2016 or so I believe someone else was helping him to finalize his drafts, possibly Russ Ball, who knows, point is the team let that position go to long with out ready to play talent insertion.

This has nothing to do with your pet topic, yoop. Focus.

You said this:
Yoop wrote:
If Rodgers wants to stay, the FO will most likely let him, why? because they do actually know why this offense struggled this year, and it wont revolve around his contract. your reaching
So let me get this straight.... when people criticize Rodgers's on-field play, you assume that this means they endorse the FO/Gute's team-building strategy on O. This is a total fallacy, thinking that Rodgers played poorly in a certain moment does not automatically make you agree with things that the FO/Gute does.

But you insist people who breathe an ill word of Rodgers must be some kind of blind defenders (pot/kettle at its finest) of the FO/Gute and insult their intelligence for going along with the "insanity" of how they build the team.

Well now the joke is on you. This same FO and Gute that you think are so idiotic at team building are the ones who also think Rodgers should remain QB as they build the team. And you are going along with their plan, despite statistical struggles on O while we've followed this plan.

So I guess people who don't disagree with keeping Rodgers at QB are also just blind loyalists of the FO and Gute, who are stupid, which by extension makes their pro-Rodgers loyalists stupid. 8-)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Money is important.

Had the Packers traded Rodgers when Denver wanted him, they could have kept Z and Adams and had 2 extra 1st round picks.

Even without the picks, Z + Adams + Love are much better than what we saw from Rodgers this year, before and after the thumb.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Jan 2023 07:00
Money is important.

Had the Packers traded Rodgers when Denver wanted him, they could have kept Z and Adams and had 2 extra 1st round picks.

Even without the picks, Z + Adams + Love are much better than what we saw from Rodgers this year, before and after the thumb.
Adams was leaving whether Rodgers stayed or didn’t. Same goes for Z.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jan 2023 17:30
So let me get this straight.... when people criticize Rodgers's on-field play, you assume that this means they endorse the FO/Gute's team-building strategy on O. This is a total fallacy, thinking that Rodgers played poorly in a certain moment does not automatically make you agree with things that the FO/Gute does.
what you don't get is WHY they kept Rodgers, or why they may do so again, it's not as much about Money, rather that he may still be the best option, the goal is to win, and how long the window for that will stay open, it's why we should fire Barry, or even Lafleur, and certainly why we should bring in a better OC, we have very good players on the cusp of decline, we wont be able to replace all of them, as they say ya have to make hay when the sun is shining.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Half Empty wrote:
10 Jan 2023 17:28
2003, and he did pretty well. If AR couldn't throw decently with that thumb, it's up to somebody to realize that 100% of an untried QB is a better option than 50% of a aging pro.
Fine to say that. And I concede truth to it. But it isn’t the whole picture either. When a team has an “aging pro” there must be a near-future transition point. That point is never a black and white type of thing. A team has to make a best guess of when to move on from the aging pro to the next QB. When they know this, then they have a fuller picture to work with.

So take the point with the Rodgers/Love example. No doubt in many minds that Rodgers would still outplay Love most of the time. And maybe a case can be made that Love is actually better most of the time now. The team still needs to decide 1) when to bench/trade the aging pro, 2) How to make more opportunities to be better informed of when the young buck is truly ready, 3) whether to trade the aging pro and when, 4) a lot of other stuff. The Pack did that when they traded Favre and he still had two of three great years in him. Maybe Rodgers has five great years in a new setting. Nobody really knows.

If I can borrow a Lombardi-ism, it’s better to let go of a player too early than too late. I think Ron Wolfe said the same thing too.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Jan 2023 07:55
TheSkeptic wrote:
Money is important.

I do not believe this. I think if Rodgers was clear he was staying and playing for another 3 years, adams would have come back. I think he left due to Rodgers being fickle and the org waiting to hear from Rodgers before they dealt with his own contract. I also think he did not want to be stuck playing with Love.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Jan 2023 10:28
lupedafiasco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Money is important.

I do not believe this. I think if Rodgers was clear he was staying and playing for another 3 years, adams would have come back. I think he left due to Rodgers being fickle and the org waiting to hear from Rodgers before they dealt with his own contract. I also think he did not want to be stuck playing with Love.
Rodgers signed his extension on March 15 and Adams was traded 2 days later. Z signed with MN on March 22.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
11 Jan 2023 12:51
Drj820 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Rodgers signed his extension on March 15 and Adams was traded 2 days later. Z signed with MN on March 22.
not to be rude, but im not sure what that is supposed to change. the trade talks and decision to make the trade could have been made much earlier than the actual execution date of the trade

It was pretty obvious the team was done with Z
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Jan 2023 13:05
Pugger wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

not to be rude, but im not sure what that is supposed to change. the trade talks and decision to make the trade could have been made much earlier than the actual execution date of the trade

The team was done with Z because they could not afford him. They could not afford him because they paid Rodgers instead.

I also disagree that Adams left because he was not sure whether Rodgers would stay. IMO Adams, like Jennings before him and apparntly like Lazard now, could not stomach him taking all the credit for their hard work and throwing someone under the bus when things went badly. The evidence says that Adams hates Rodgers with a passion just as Jennings did. Others may disagree with my opinion, and it is just my opinion, but so is their disagreement. The difference is that there is evidence to support my opinion. Players do not take less money to leave, as Adams did, without an emotional reason, and it wasn't to play in Las Vegas. Jennings said things after he left that he did not need to say and would not have said if he liked Rodgers.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Jan 2023 13:36
Drj820 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

The team was done with Z because they could not afford him. They could not afford him because they paid Rodgers instead.

I also disagree that Adams left because he was not sure whether Rodgers would stay. IMO Adams, like Jennings before him and apparntly like Lazard now, could not stomach him taking all the credit for their hard work and throwing someone under the bus when things went badly. The evidence says that Adams hates Rodgers with a passion just as Jennings did. Others may disagree with my opinion, and it is just my opinion, but so is their disagreement. The difference is that there is evidence to support my opinion. Players do not take less money to leave, as Adams did, without an emotional reason, and it wasn't to play in Las Vegas. Jennings said things after he left that he did not need to say and would not have said if he liked Rodgers.
The Packers couldn’t afford Z because they kept pushing money on bad contracts they had. They didn’t need to keep Turner. They didn’t need to resign King. They didn’t need to keep Lewis. Or Lowry. Or Crosby. They could have have utilized their 2021 draft picks better so they didn’t get an entire crop of backup players.

There were ways to keep Adams and Z. We just made worse decisions along the way that forced our hands.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Money is important.

Rodger didn't know for sure what Guty would do, Adams made his mind up to leave a month prior, out of Z, Adams or Rodgers who would you have kept, if you don't say Rodgers your being less the truthful.

Taking Gary all but assured Z he's never see a extension from us and the acl sealed his fate, Adams bought a house in vegas a month before Aaron's contract, and again with all the talk of trading Rodgers, why would Adams stick around?

Rodgers didn't get traded because Love didn't show enough improvement for Guty to have faith he could start him, simple as that, and just because the word out of the FO is they think Love can be a starter in this league doesn't mean that he's expected to be ready for that even next year, thats still to be determined.

ya can second guess this stuff forever, but what the FO did is exactly what most would have done.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Adams knew Rodgers was returning but Devante decided to go to Vegas anyway. Adams said he wanted to play for the team he grew up a fan of and his buddy Carr. I wonder how he feels about that decision now...

Yes, management moved on from Z for financial and health reasons. We could have used him, especially after Gary got hurt.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
11 Jan 2023 14:48
Drj820 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Rodger didn't know for sure what Guty would do, Adams made his mind up to leave a month prior, out of Z, Adams or Rodgers who would you have kept, if you don't say Rodgers your being less the truthful.

Taking Gary all but assured Z he's never see a extension from us and the acl sealed his fate, Adams bought a house in vegas a month before Aaron's contract, and again with all the talk of trading Rodgers, why would Adams stick around?

Rodgers didn't get traded because Love didn't show enough improvement for Guty to have faith he could start him, simple as that, and just because the word out of the FO is they think Love can be a starter in this league doesn't mean that he's expected to be ready for that even next year, thats still to be determined.

ya can second guess this stuff forever, but what the FO did is exactly what most would have done.
Rodgers didn't get traded to Denver because Gute would have been the 1st GM in league history to trade away his reigning MVP. Not many foresaw Rodgers' decline in his play this season.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Jan 2023 14:21

The Packers couldn’t afford Z because they kept pushing money on bad contracts they had. They didn’t need to keep Turner. They didn’t need to resign King. They didn’t need to keep Lewis. Or Lowry. Or Crosby. They could have have utilized their 2021 draft picks better so they didn’t get an entire crop of backup players.

There were ways to keep Adams and Z. We just made worse decisions along the way that forced our hands.
And yet, they still ended up with an $11.4 million cap hit this year while he was playing for a division rival.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Jan 2023 21:57
lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Jan 2023 14:21

And yet, they still ended up with an $11.4 million cap hit this year while he was playing for a division rival.
Yup. $33M in dead cap for the year. But the fans bitch about Rodgers taking up too much money.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Good conversation on Twitter about veteran next steps and regression. It was honestly hard to find any veteran on the team that took the next step where you were like, yes, that guy got better from last year. For me, maybe TJ Slaton and Myers come to mind, but it wasn't such a large jump that it is definitive.

Regression on the other hand, can point to many many players where that was the case.

Rookies this year gave a good effort. There were a handful that played well.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."