What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wahhh, wahhh, wahhh.

ya kick the can down the road because your in a window where most of the talent is peeking, and if they decide to keep Rodgers again it's for the same reason, and this team has never let fan opinion influence there decisions, like it or not, thats been the history at 1265

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Jan 2023 09:28
That has to start with trading Aaron Rodgers.
Many here act like Rodgers is done. 2 years ago the same and then he comes back to win the MVP. Its not like the guy is physically finished. I could still see him play 4-5 years. I mean his QBR in this (rotten) season is still 91.1 which is decent. If Love is not the second coming of Christ it is possible that we ride horse #12 till it literally drops dead in a couple of years.

I am also frustrated about #12, esp. that we pay him superstar money but he doesnt show up when superstars show up, i.e. in crunch time. But as some pointed out in the Favre vs. Rodgers Thread, Favre was worse than Rodgers. If you give Rodgers one go-to-guy like Watson, two reliable receivers and a good run game, i.e. if you can give him a team even K. Cousins or J. Garoppolo could win SBs with, then Rodgers even more can do it.

I also have to say I am a bit sentimental here. I wanted to see Favre retire as a Packer (I would have welcomed him back in 2008 despite now in hindsight it would have cost us a SB), I want to see Rodgers do it. I just want to end fairy tales like they are supposed to end. :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

German_Panzer wrote:
13 Jan 2023 10:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Jan 2023 09:28
That has to start with trading Aaron Rodgers.
Many here act like Rodgers is done. 2 years ago the same and then he comes back to win the MVP. Its not like the guy is physically finished. I could still see him play 4-5 years. I mean his QBR in this (rotten) season is still 91.1 which is decent. If Love is not the second coming of Christ it is possible that we ride horse #12 till it literally drops dead in a couple of years.

I am also frustrated about #12, esp. that we pay him superstar money but he doesnt show up when superstars show up, i.e. in crunch time. But as some pointed out in the Favre vs. Rodgers Thread, Favre was worse than Rodgers. If you give Rodgers one go-to-guy like Watson, two reliable receivers and a good run game, i.e. if you can give him a team even K. Cousins or J. Garoppolo could win SBs with, then Rodgers even more can do it.

I also have to say I am a bit sentimental here. I wanted to see Favre retire as a Packer (I would have welcomed him back in 2008 despite now in hindsight it would have cost us a SB), I want to see Rodgers do it. I just want to end fairy tales like they are supposed to end. :lol:
He's done for the Packers. Both the cost and status of the team as a whole are prohibitive to keeping Aaron Rodgers. The last 3 seasons was the window and it is firmly shut now. Aaron Rodgers may even be done physically, but that is up in the air. This isn't the same as THREE years ago when it was wondered about as he was coming off of 2 middling seasons, but was still only in his mid-30s. Now he will be turning 40 at the tail end of next season. Tom Brady aside, there are hardly any QBs who have found success when they are 40+. Here is the list of 40+ year old QBs who have started 12 or more games in a season:
image.png
image.png (56.83 KiB) Viewed 453 times
https://stathead.com/tiny/JJRmi

While a passer rating of 91.1 isn't bad, it isn't particularly good in today's NFL. That ties him for 15th on the season. He very well could play 4-5 more years. I don't see it at all. He doesn't seem to love the game as others have who try to play past 40. He could be better next season with a more stacked supporting cast, but the Packers can't provide that for him.

Even if Love isn't going to be the guy it is still time to move on from Rodgers. If the Packers try to ride Rodgers until he drops dead, it will be a major mistake and just prolong the inevitable without any benefit.

Favre was not worse than Rodgers. Favre played in a different era. Both were/are very good in their respective eras. It would be like saying Bart Starr was worse than both of them. Different era, he was a great in the time he played.

There is an inherent nostalgia going on with the thinking behind Aaron Rodgers. He isn't this head and shoulders above everyone else QB any longer. And if he needs such a stacked supporting cast, it just can not be with the Packers.

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

QBR or completion % is inconclusive when rating the ability of a QB, we all know this stuff, ya also have to consider the other important factors such as pass rush pressure, pass pro, and obviously the receivers and dropped basses, or I should say catchable passes that fell incomplete, which where 3 times (guessing) the recorded drops, a few for TD's and a bunch for first downs, when ya take some of that into consideration, those two stats would have been higher.
and Rodgers is use to being the Villain, been that for every play off game we ever lost

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jan 2023 10:24
ya kick the can down the road because your in a window where most of the talent is peeking,
A "window" of mediocrity and fluke playoff berths maybe. Anyone who thinks we are in a window to be any kind of legitimate contender is in Lala Land.

This team just faced the WORST defense in the league in a must-win situation to try to sneak into the playoffs as a 7th seed (a seed that probably only exists so the NFL can maximize revenue rather than any sensible reason to believe that seventh team will be a worthy opponent), against a team that won't be in the playoffs playing solely for pride...

... and they lost. That is not a team that is "just a few players away."
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
13 Jan 2023 11:38
Yoop wrote:
ya kick the can down the road because your in a window where most of the talent is peeking,
A "window" of mediocrity and fluke playoff berths maybe. Anyone who thinks we are in a window to be any kind of legitimate contender is in Lala Land.

This team just faced the WORST defense in the league in a must-win situation to try to sneak into the playoffs as a 7th seed (a seed that probably only exists so the NFL can maximize revenue rather than any sensible reason to believe that seventh team will be a worthy opponent), against a team that won't be in the playoffs playing solely for pride...

to many injury's, lack of experience, and probably one of the most incompetent DC's in the league led to our demise this season, , and the 6th seed has won a few owls, it will be the same with the 7th seeded teams.

you and a few others keep making what you think are accurate statements, you'll use any stat you can dig up to state your case, and none of then are concrete evidence of anything, ya wanna play the negative Nancy part so be it :thwap:

whatever I don't see a team void of talent, what I see here is you and others demanding change simply because you project doom unless it happens, ya act like capoligest, when I don't think teams even care about the cap any more as a bunch have and are using back end loaded contracts as much as we are, which is exactly how I expect next year will be the case again.

and I don't necessarily agree with any of that, never did like using tomorrows money concerning this stuff, but thats how it's down these days.
I won't be shocked whatever we do.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

@Pckfan23: It looks to me fallacious to argue with his age of 40 and old data bc it oversees a very recent development.Yes, up to now 40 was a gamechanger, but I argue that his generation is the first where 40 is the new 35 bc of rule changes. Favre neither had those QB friendly rules and that makes all the difference. Brady is not an anomaly, Brady is the start of a new trend!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

German_Panzer wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:06
@Pckfan23: It looks to me fallacious to argue with his age of 40 and old data bc it oversees a very recent development.Yes, up to now 40 was a gamechanger, but I argue that his generation is the first where 40 is the new 35 bc of rule changes. Favre neither had those QB friendly rules and that makes all the difference. Brady is not an anomaly, Brady is the start of a new trend!
Brady is the only one, so at this point there is no trend, he is the anomaly of 1. That is quite literally the epitome of an anomaly, 1. You may want to wish it or it might even be true in the future, but right now the data says that 40+ is not kind to QBs. Rodgers' season at 39 didn't bring much to suggest otherwise either...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
To be a trend, you need to have more than one player buck the old trend. Right now Brady still is an anomaly.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:05
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:

to many injury's, lack of experience, and probably one of the most incompetent DC's in the league led to our demise this season, , and the 6th seed has won a few owls, it will be the same with the 7th seeded teams.

you and a few others keep making what you think are accurate statements, you'll use any stat you can dig up to state your case, and none of then are concrete evidence of anything, ya wanna play the negative Nancy part so be it :thwap:

whatever I don't see a team void of talent, what I see here is you and others demanding change simply because you project doom unless it happens, ya act like capoligest, when I don't think teams even care about the cap any more as a bunch have and are using back end loaded contracts as much as we are, which is exactly how I expect next year will be the case again.

and I don't necessarily agree with any of that, never did like using tomorrows money concerning this stuff, but thats how it's down these days.
So when we are agreeing with you that the team around Rodgers isn't to the caliber to win a championship you now disagree with that?!

Good lord you just argue to argue.

Strongly disagree on the injury thing too. Our team honestly was very healthy all year. Especially by December. Only real hole was Rashan Gary.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
...ya kick the can down the road because your in a window where most of the talent is peeking, ...
The window closed after the 2021 season. We should have been 1 season into a rebuild by now!
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:20
So when we are agreeing with you that the team around Rodgers isn't to the caliber to win a championship you now disagree with that?!

Strongly disagree on the injury thing too. Our team honestly was very healthy all year. Especially by December. Only real hole was Rashan Gary.

:rotf: when I saw him say that I was like :shock:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

go pak go wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:18

To be a trend, you need to have more than one player buck the old trend. Right now Brady still is an anomaly.
Sure. And I am predicting that the trend just started with Brady and will continue. And isnt that reasonable considering the latest QB friendly rules?

@Pckfan23: But from your POV, arent you worried? Because a trade will only happen if Rodgers promises to play at least 2-3 years for his new team, nobody will trade for a one-yearer. So esp. you have to hope that the league shares my opinion on 40+ or there won‘t be a trade.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

German_Panzer wrote:
13 Jan 2023 13:09
go pak go wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:18

Sure. And I am predicting that the trend just started with Brady and will continue. And isnt that reasonable considering the latest QB friendly rules?
Well, then the data is not false, you are just hoping that Brady starts a new trend that has no data to back it up. River, Brees, etc... played in the same era and didn't follow this supposed new trend.
@Pckfan23: But from your POV, arent you worried? Because a trade will only happen if Rodgers promises to play at least 2-3 years for his new team, nobody will trade for a one-yearer. So esp. you have to hope that the league shares my opinion on 40+ or there won‘t be a trade.
No, not worried at all because we do not have the team or financial means to take advantage of those 2-3 years. I would think most teams that would trade for Rodgers realize that it is more like 1-2 as a viable Championship QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:20
Yoop wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:05
Labrev wrote:

quit trying to say what you remember wrongly what I said, your just twisting this up to suit your bs narrative

we know the injury's consisted of OL and WR on and off all season, and we did have the talent but injury, and lack of experience with receivers held us back, you want to blame Rodgers for issue not of his making..

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:14
German_Panzer wrote:
Brady is the only one, so at this point there is no trend, he is the anomaly of 1. That is quite literally the epitome of an anomaly, 1. You may want to wish it or it might even be true in the future, but right now the data says that 40+ is not kind to QBs. Rodgers' season at 39 didn't bring much to suggest otherwise either...
Brady, Favre and Brees. Rodgers could do it, but like others have said he doesn’t appear to have the same commitment to adjusting his game to match his age or his surroundings. Seeing him chuck it up to Watson like he used to chuck it up to Davante wasn’t inspiring. Might work in Miami if Tua is done.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
13 Jan 2023 12:32
Yoop wrote:
...ya kick the can down the road because your in a window where most of the talent is peeking, ...
The window closed after the 2021 season. We should have been 1 season into a rebuild by now!
we are, where 1 year into rebuilding the WR position, the OL has seen some rejuvenation as well the last several years, and we been rejuvenating the defense since my my first great grandchild was born 10 years ago :lol: and we jump started ST's a year ago with more fortification with Nixon this year, or when you say rebuild are you mostly just talking about QB?

the FO says AR has time to make up his mind, so it sounds like they have, I know thats not popular, may not even be wise, but they seem committed, and when ya look at the make up of this team it's understandable, any way ya want to look at it Love is still a unknown talent, very few snaps in live games, Rodgers is a more proven player, and this seasons issue with inconsistency at OL and WR made him look far worse then he is.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Packers org want Rodgers back because they know he is one of the best qbs in the league and clearly the best qb option they have.

They also know the deficiencies of the wr and online group.

The coaches know how hard it was with qbs not knowing how to run routes or catch balls. They also know any other qb with this online would be highest szcked qb in the league.

Rodgers carries this 5eam and they will hold on to that as long as possible.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

bud fox wrote:
13 Jan 2023 16:39
Packers org want Rodgers back because they know he is one of the best qbs in the league and clearly the best qb option they have.

The coaches know how hard it was with qbs not knowing how to run routes or catch balls. They also know any other qb with this online would be highest szcked qb in the league.

Did Yoop ghostwrite the last two paragraphs? :)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
13 Jan 2023 16:39

Ya not much arguing at this point…gutey and Lafleur know their job is same with 10 wins, playoffs, and no super bowls.

They think this year was an outlier and most years that will be close to automatic with Rodgers at QB.

They are terrified to see life without him. They know their job could be on the line quick.

Gutey and Lafleur begging Rodgers back multiple times after Rodgers has disrupted business for them and held them hostage so much tells one all one needs to know about how they feel about handing the keys of the car over to Jordan Love
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur