What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
18 Jan 2023 22:50
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2023 16:33
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rob-gronko ... 30458.html
Do I still think I can play? Of course. Of course,” Rodgers said in his first postseason appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show." “Can I play at a high level? Yeah. The highest. I think I can win MVP again in the right situation. Right situation, is that Green Bay or is that somewhere else? I’m not sure, but I don’t think you should shut down any opportunity.”
The retired tight end made an appearance on FanDuel TV’s “Up & Adams” and was asked his take on Rodgers’ statement.

“I’m totally fine with everything he said except for one major part — and that’s the ‘MVP again,’” Gronkowski said. “Bro, why are you thinking MVP? Don’t you want Super Bowls?”

He went on to critique Rodgers’ priorities, adding that “Super Bowls are, I think, five times greater than an MVP award.”
Gronk does have a bit of a point.
How come this sentence from Tuesday's podcast is never included?

“There’s no point in coming back to play football unless you think you can win it all.”

He has repeatedly said he wants no part in a rebuild and I don't blame him. At this point in his career he knows he only has a couple more shots at a ring so he can't stick around until a team is playoff ready. If he is contemplating a trade or retirement he may feel GB isn't a playoff team anytime soon and he might be right. I can't imagine Brady would want any part of that either.
But Green Bay could have been a playoff team in 2022 if Rodgers had played up to the challenge. So maybe I take the sentence as meaning "if I Aaron Rodgers no longer have the skills to win it all (as I showed in 2022), then there is no point to me playing in the NFL anymore".

DrJ820 is right ............ he's a tool. :idn:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

My gut says Rodgers will take the same path as Brady and go to team ready to make a run. Whether that's the Jets, Raiders, hell even Tampa, who knows? I suspect it'll be either a dome team or in a warm weather market as Rodgers has clearly regressed as an effective cold weather QB.

The body language - and actual spoken language - has been pretty clear from both sides. Effusive praise while remaining non-committal and "open" to future possibilities. I mean, it's happening before our eyes already.

I do think the possibility of Rodgers retiring is small. Reason being is I believe Brady will call it a career. I don't think there's any way Rodgers retires same year as Brady and takes undercard billing come HOF induction time. Rodgers has competed - and lost - against Brady practically his entire career. No way he's gonna willingly be second fiddle to him, again, going into retirement.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Jan 2023 20:43
“This game is about relationships,” Rodgers said. “It’s about the guys you rely on, even if they don’t show up huge in the stat book. A guy like Marcedes Lewis, he’s an important cog in the wheel of the locker room and the momentum of the team. That’s a guy I want to finish my career with, you know? If I’m playing, I want that guy next to me. I want the Randall Cobbs of the world, if he wants to keep playing, in my locker room.
This crap drives me crazy.

No, Aaron, it's not about your personal relationships. It's about winning championships for the organization and fan base. Sure, you make friendships and build relationships along the way but the focus should be squarely on obtaining and retaining players who give you the best shot at winning, not who you enjoy going to dinner with.

I'm sure Cobb and Lewis (and you can add Crosby to that list, as well) are great guys but if you can't produce on the field then it's time to move on.

Combine this with his "win another MVP" statement and it's clear Aaron's priorities do not align with the organizational priorities...or the fan base, for that matter.

Side note: makes you wonder what really happened with Davante's exit. If relationships are such a big priority for Rodgers then what the hell happened...?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Jan 2023 07:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
“This game is about relationships,” Rodgers said. “It’s about the guys you rely on, even if they don’t show up huge in the stat book. A guy like Marcedes Lewis, he’s an important cog in the wheel of the locker room and the momentum of the team. That’s a guy I want to finish my career with, you know? If I’m playing, I want that guy next to me. I want the Randall Cobbs of the world, if he wants to keep playing, in my locker room.

No, Aaron, it's not about your personal relationships. It's about winning championships for the organization and fan base. Sure, you make friendships and build relationships along the way but the focus should be squarely on obtaining and retaining players who give you the best shot at winning, not who you enjoy going to dinner with.

I'm sure Cobb and Lewis (and you can add Crosby to that list, as well) are great guys but if you can't produce on the field then it's time to move on.

Combine this with his "win another MVP" statement and it's clear Aaron's priorities do not align with the organizational priorities...or the fan base, for that matter.

Side note: makes you wonder what really happened with Davante's exit. If relationships are such a big priority for Rodgers then what the hell happened...?
I suppose you hang with the interns at work.

human nature to act exactly as Rodgers is, when I'am hanging by the seat of my pants in a harness 20 floors off the pavement siding a building I prefer a work partner I can depend on to not drop me, that type of confidence builds relationships, and what does a 40 yr old Rodgers have in common with these rookies and other youngsters, I doubt much of anything.

Back in the middle of the McCarthy era it was beyond obvious that Rodgers was a team player, again what has this team done for him since? not a hell of a lot, they've asked him to succeed with 2 RB's one quality receiver, quality production for one season from the TE position for over a decade, why anyone thinks he snubbed the team with his MVP comment should actually take a better look at what the FO did for him the last 8 years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
19 Jan 2023 09:16
APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

human nature to act exactly as Rodgers is, when I'am hanging by the seat of my pants in a harness 20 floors off the pavement siding a building I prefer a work partner I can depend on to not drop me, that type of confidence builds relationships, and what does a 40 yr old Rodgers have in common with these rookies and other youngsters, I doubt much of anything.

Back in the middle of the McCarthy era it was beyond obvious that Rodgers was a team player, again what has this team done for him since? not a hell of a lot, they've asked him to succeed with 2 RB's one quality receiver, quality production for one season from the TE position for over a decade, why anyone thinks he snubbed the team with his MVP comment should actually take a better look at what the FO did for him the last 8 years.
:lol: :lol:

This is absolutely laughable. Do you really think employees should get to pick and choose who they work with??

I crew with whomever the company pairs with me that has been trained and certified to get the job done safely and effectively. Perhaps you and Rodgers would do well to take the same approach rather than hold the success of the organization hostage to your own personal preferences.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

the longer the rodgers saga goes on.....combined with the draft selection of love by Gute, and the expectation that Lafleur should develop him...the more absolutely cowardly bending the knee to Rodgers looks worse and worse for the front office. He was already under contract for the 2022 season, there was no reason to bend the knee and sacrifice the future further with giving him a new contract unless the org is admitting

1) they dont want to live life without 12 because they dont believe they can win without him
2) Love cant play and was a whiff of a draft pick
3) Lafleur has failed to develop Love.

All three are major indictments on Lafluer and Gute and things a real local media would ask them directly about.

BF has repeatedly said he somehow thinks the last contract was basically fake. I guess we will see, because the obvious answer is to move on from the guy who has no interest in titles. He wants to hang with buddies and win MVPs. He should be traded as we see how well Lafleur has developed Love.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Jan 2023 10:12
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

This is absolutely laughable. Do you really think employees should get to pick and choose who they work with??

I crew with whomever the company pairs with me that has been trained and certified to get the job done safely and effectively. Perhaps you and Rodgers would do well to take the same approach rather than hold the success of the organization hostage to your own personal preferences.
don't add qualifiers, of course we work with people who are trained, are you saying Doubs or any of these youngsters are, or some of the non union scabs I've flat out refused to work with, trained and certified is different then some rookie or UDFA. or scab off the street wannabe sheet metal worker, or a poorly trained pilot, or a drunken Captain of a ship, again with your off time what age gap people do you hang with, which is more about what Rodgers comment was about.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
19 Jan 2023 10:28
APB wrote:
Do you really think employees should get to pick and choose who they work with??

don't add qualifiers, of course we work with people who are trained, are you saying Doubs or any of these youngsters are, or some of the non union scabs I've flat out refused to work with, trained and certified is different then some rookie or UDFA. or scab off the street wannabe sheet metal worker, or a poorly trained pilot, or a drunken Captain of a ship, again with your off time what age gap people do you hang with, which is more about what Rodgers comment was about.
OMG Yoop. The lengths you'll go to to try and justify an absurd argument.

None of that nonsense above even begins to correlate to the situation Rodgers has demanded of the organization.

And off time is off time. I give a rip who he prefers to hang with on his off time. That has nothing to do with what Rodgers is demanding of the organization. He is dictating who the Packers should keep rostered based upon his personal relationships. That is complete &%$@.

And for the record, I spend a great amount of my off time with my neighbors who are younger than my wife and I by nearly a decade and a half. It's amazing how much you have in common with people when you're willing to de-prioritize ridiculous issues like age.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think the comparison between whatever line of work yoop is describing versus The NFL is one of apples to oranges to begin with.

Sure, you probably want coworkers with experience over youth for the first job.

For the second, you want playmakers/Blues, which is invariably guys who are younger and otherwise in their physical prime. Yes you also want some savvy vets with experience and Reds sprinkled in but they are not what you build your team around.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Jan 2023 10:41
Yoop wrote:
19 Jan 2023 10:28
APB wrote:
Do you really think employees should get to pick and choose who they work with??

OMG Yoop. The lengths you'll go to to try and justify an absurd argument.

None of that nonsense above even begins to correlate to the situation Rodgers has demanded of the organization.

And off time is off time. I give a rip who he prefers to hang with on his off time. That has nothing to do with what Rodgers is demanding of the organization. He is dictating who the Packers should keep rostered based upon his personal relationships. That is complete &%$@.

And for the record, I spend a great amount of my off time with my neighbors who are younger than my wife and I by nearly a decade and a half. It's amazing how much you have in common with people when you're willing to de-prioritize ridiculous issues like age.
you and everyone else are making a mountain out of a mole hill, seriously what would you expect Rodgers to say? and what he said echo's what Brady said and did, or any other older QB or player for that matter.

Bakh is a great friend and player, Cobb had excellent stats per % of snaps, of course he wants that reliability back, when you compare a player like Cobb to all the jags this GM has brought in you'd say the same thing, and he hasn't demanded a damn thing, this is you reading into a simple comment.

your in your 50's, 15 years isn't the same as 40 to a 20 plus wet behind the ears kid, you know that, huge mentality swings the last 20 or so years as well, I see 20 plus ers in a restaurant conversing with one another texting each other, really, no kidding, sitting right across from each other, and never a spoken word, how would you relate to that?

your whole point revolves around a fallacy, unless we have a player to force Cobb, Bakh, Lewis, or even a Lazard off the team or improvements upon them, then Rodgers has a good point, reliability, and locker room cohesion is important.

imho the team has needed to build the team around Rodgers for years now, our failures are partly because they havn't, I bet you don't get that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
19 Jan 2023 10:56
I think the comparison between whatever line of work yoop is describing versus The NFL is one of apples to oranges to begin with.

Sure, you probably want coworkers with experience over youth for the first job.

For the second, you want playmakers/Blues, which is invariably guys who are younger and otherwise in their physical prime. Yes you also want some savvy vets with experience and Reds sprinkled in but they are not what you build your team around.
safety and reliability amount to about the same thing, obviously my job required the safe part, Rodgers wants the reliability that usually requires a vet player because they tend to make less mistakes. :idn:

again Rodgers doesn't always get his wishes, obviously, when ya look at the direction the GM's have used building this team.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Rodgers trying to influence personnel decisions isn't anything new. Talking up players who didn't deserve to be talked up is one of the biggest mistakes he has made in his career. The way he would praise Cobb and James Jones circa 2012, you'd think both those guys were blue chip WR1's. It's no wonder the front office neglected to spend a top pick on WR for so many years.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

I've been working at the same institution for over 33 years now. The people my age that I worked with when I was young are mostly gone. I have no problem working with people considerably younger than me. That's the way life works. You either deal with it or move on.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
19 Jan 2023 16:24
Rodgers trying to influence personnel decisions isn't anything new. Talking up players who didn't deserve to be talked up is one of the biggest mistakes he has made in his career. The way he would praise Cobb and James Jones circa 2012, you'd think both those guys were blue chip WR1's. It's no wonder the front office neglected to spend a top pick on WR for so many years.
He’s as bad as evaluating personnel as lebron james, at least lebron has 4 titles though.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/rel ... it-of-ring

This was Rashan Gary in June... Marked difference in focus.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

His whole hesitation to go all in with some runs the last couple of years shows me he wants longevity. I think he comes back next season to us, of course we choke it one way or the other, and then he will leave for 2-3 years to a loaded team, ending his career with 44/45. Isn‘t that the (objectively) most likely scenario?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

again, stats depend on who does the grading, PFR has Gary with only half the PFF pressures for 2021,
a year ago when I used PFF to exalt Z ya shot me down with the much lower PFR grades, same with Aaron Donalds 120 pressures, you dig up grades, accurate or not, that support whatever position you have, we all like what Gary brings to this defense, however we waited long enough for his game to provide the production, and we didn't need either grading system to see it happening

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ryRa00.htm
Last edited by Yoop on 20 Jan 2023 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
20 Jan 2023 09:41
His whole hesitation to go all in with some runs the last couple of years shows me he wants longevity. I think he comes back next season to us, of course we choke it one way or the other, and then he will leave for 2-3 years to a loaded team, ending his career with 44/45. Isn‘t that the (objectively) most likely scenario?
I don’t think he has the drive related to the game to play into his mid 40s. I predict he plays another year or two. Whether that’s here or elsewhere. I hope it’s elsewhere so we can find out if Love, Gute, and Lafleur are worth a **** without him. I’m ready for that question to be answered.