Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Jan 2023 06:21
Gary has helped the team one of his 3 years, but anyways…that’s fine…we also selected savage over Deebo
The bigger problem is if we had drafted Deebo, we wouldn't know what to do with him.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
19 Jan 2023 06:47
Drj820 wrote:
Gary has helped the team one of his 3 years, but anyways…that’s fine…we also selected savage over Deebo
The bigger problem is if we had drafted Deebo, we wouldn't know what to do with him.
fair. we are far less creative. We give 4th and 1 sweeps to the slowest receiver on the team (lazard).
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Imagine how everyone would feel here if we wasted 3 firsts on Love instead of just a 1 and a 4. :lol:

49ers are a fun team to drool over now, with a big win streak.

But they F up too and we’ve won 2 Super Bowls since they’ve won their last one.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

ya, well, bu bu but :rotf: we didn't have any extra picks for QB's, WR's either, where trying to build a top 10 defense for cripe sacks, stay focused :lol:

I love what Shanahan has been able to do with the likes of Deebo, he for sure has been the missing piece Lafleur lacks, imo we saw what the far less talented Irving was able to accomplish with the snaps he got, the jet sweeps, motion, and stacked sets improve with better talent.

as soon as we started using Watson for some of that his speed brought life back to that scheme, I expect we'll see a lot more of that from him next year.

to think Lafleur wont do that stuff, or the reason we see Lazard trying to pull that off has to do with the lack of available talent to do it, ya can't keep using the same players all the time, defenses aren't dumb, ya have to at least try to add deception.

Lafleur brought everything Shanahan does in SF, he just couldn't bring the talented players to go with it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I think people are overstating how much better of a team SF is. If they should be considered a top team, we rationally shouldn't be considered far behind them.

They have good pieces, sure, but so do we, and our success over the same period has been about the same. They have a SuperBowl appearance on us but that's about it. If they actually won one recently, then one could argue they are what we need to be, but like us they are still trying to crack the code.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jan 2023 07:51
Imagine how everyone would feel here if we wasted 3 firsts on Love instead of just a 1 and a 4. :lol:

49ers are a fun team to drool over now, with a big win streak.
:evil: :evil:
But they F up too and we’ve won 2 Super Bowls since they’ve won their last one.
Everything above is 100% true.

It is also true that SF is not afraid to swing and miss.

In addition to the Lance trade, in recent years they have sent premium draft picks (rounds 1-3) away for Garappolo, WR Emmanuel Sanders, LT Trent Williams, McCaffrey and maybe others I am not recalling to try and win another Super Bowl.

They have also been to 2 Super Bowls and beaten us 4 times in the playoffs since our last Super Bowl appearance. :evil:

I also agree that many Packer fans would have caniption fits if GB ever shipped a treasured draft pick away for an existing NFL player the way John Lynch has traded them away in SF (or Howie Roseman has in Philly, Les Snead has with the Rams, or Brett Veach has in KC for that matter).

Perhaps the questions that ought to be considered are (1) why have the Packers not traded a single premium draft pick for a player during the 12 seasons since the last Super Bowl appearance and (2) why do some Packer fans seem to applaud this record?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
19 Jan 2023 09:15
Yeah I think people are overstating how much better of a team SF is. If they should be considered a top team, we rationally shouldn't be considered far behind them.

They have good pieces, sure, but so do we, and our success over the same period has been about the same. They have a SuperBowl appearance on us but that's about it. If they actually won one recently, then one could argue they are what we need to be, but like us they are still trying to crack the code.
right, imo we have done more with less, they had the ability do to losing, to draft top 10 slot players, there defense is top 5 because of that, I have to applaud them for using and hitting on offensive draft picks, the results show the difference this season, while we hope Watson and Doubs compare to Deebo and Aiyuk there not as good yet.

the Niners are playing the way we hoped we would be, not a Niner fan as a rule, but I love that offense.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I think the difference is Shanahan. I don't know how much better their players actually are at a position by position comparison. I think their lines are better but our 2021 LB-based pass rush is sort of comparable to their D Line. Deebo is better at his role than anyone we have by far, but then again Watson is elite at a skillset that they do not have. McCaffrey is better than Jones, but it's not like Jones isn't sort of top tier either. Rodgers is a better QB than anyone they've got.

What they do have is a system where they can plug a subpar QB (but not terrible QB, evidenced by Nick Mullens and whoever else they've had in their off years) and have him throw to wide open guys. Do those guys get wide open because of scheme or are they good at getting wide open? I tend to think highly of their coach when it comes to this question.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
19 Jan 2023 14:29
I think the difference is Shanahan. I don't know how much better their players actually are at a position by position comparison. I think their lines are better but our 2021 LB-based pass rush is sort of comparable to their D Line. Deebo is better at his role than anyone we have by far, but then again Watson is elite at a skillset that they do not have. McCaffrey is better than Jones, but it's not like Jones isn't sort of top tier either. Rodgers is a better QB than anyone they've got.

What they do have is a system where they can plug a subpar QB (but not terrible QB, evidenced by Nick Mullens and whoever else they've had in their off years) and have him throw to wide open guys. Do those guys get wide open because of scheme or are they good at getting wide open? I tend to think highly of their coach when it comes to this question.
all healthy our OL is better, but the future will tell if WAtson and Doubs are equals to Deebo and Aiyuk, and McCaffery plays bigger then Jones, we havn't had the skill position players of the Niners in a long time, they have arguably one of the best TE's in the league to boot, and a defense we can only dream about, I think you might be selling Lafleur short, the best jet sweep player we've had is Irving, cripes I had trouble remembering his name, a issue no one would have with Deebo Samual.

in 2021 against the Bucks, we had Jones and Adams, why people focus on a missed open Lazard and over look that skill position limitation, or the beyond lousy defense, and blame Rodgers for not being other worldly, or his less then stellar performance escapes me, the QB is only as good as the supporting cast, same as the coach.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/354 ... -next-year
The 2022 NFL season's rookie class was truly impressive. Two running backs broke 1,000 rushing yards, while two receivers hit 1,000 receiving yards. Seven players scored at least five times from scrimmage. Twelve first-year defenders had three or more sacks, four had 100-plus tackles, and nine had three or more interceptions. Eight quarterbacks started at least one game, and one currently has his team in the divisional round of the playoffs.

So how did the rookies stack up this season? Let's rank the top 10, taking only the regular season into consideration. We polled our own Matt Bowen, Jeff Legwold, Matt Miller and Jordan Reid for their personal lists and combined them to make a consensus ranking of the top 10 rookies. Our experts then weighed in on each player who made the list, along with a few who fell just short. Finally, they picked out a riser to watch, an underperforming first-rounder, an overperforming late-rounder and someone who could break out in their sophomore campaign. We begin with a fairly obvious top-ranked player.
8. Christian Watson, WR, Green Bay Packers
Stats: 41 catches, 611 receiving yards, 7 carries, 80 rushing yards, 9 total TDs
Drafted: No. 34

Why he's here: Watson proved his ability over the final eight games of the season and is a clear building block for the Packers' offense. He grew more comfortable in the offense as the year progressed and was a legitimate threat down the field, consistently placing stress on the third level of opposing defenses. Watson averaged 14.9 yards per catch (third among rookies), and his 6.4 yards after the catch per reception paced all first-year pass-catchers. -- Reid

Going forward: The second half of the season tells us that the arrow is pointing up on Watson. With his vertical stretch ability and improved route running, the rookie will be a consistent threat to create explosive plays in the Green Bay offensive structure. -- Bowen
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
18 Jan 2023 23:13
Drj820 wrote:
17 Jan 2023 14:26
Reality Check Related on the Niners:

Everyone that makes their offense amazing...the Packers could have on their roster. The niners have simply ran circles around the Packers in terms of draft success and offensive personnel development.

Deebo Samuel? He went in the second round. We chose Gary and Savage over him. I desperately wanted Deebo.

Brandon Aiyuk: he went one slot ahead of Jordan Love. The niners traded BACK and got him. We traded UP to get Love. Obviously we could have traded to secure Aiyuk if we had the desire. Tee Higgins was also available until the start of the second round that night.

George Kittle-5th round draft selection, available to all other teams that may have wanted him

Brock Purdy-7th round selection-could easily be the Packers backup instead of Love.

McCafrey-If the niners can trade for him, so could we...if we really wanted to win. Like the niners obviously do.

Kyle Juschyck-4th round pick

Point being, they are dangerous because they have found GOLD outside of the top half of the first round of the draft. Deebo, Aiyuk, McCafrey, Kittle...can play anywhere on the field..and they do in Shanahans scheme. makes it so hard to defend.

Purdy would have no chance in our scheme with out players...Niners players and scheme makes Jimmy G a QB capable of a SB appearance.
Niners built the D with incredible draft capital and high picks. They built the O by their offensive minded coach and the GM hitting homeruns. Homeruns our GM and offensive minded head coach are yet to make. cough cough, deguara cough cough sternberger, cough cough, equanamious st brown
Deebo is great but I have no qualms about Gute drafting Gary.
I too would have preferred Deebo over Savage.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Jan 2023 08:53
Lower than I expected - ranked 22nd overall - but I suppose I’m letting the late season progression cloud the early season struggles.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

22nd is probably fair based on the blocked kicks and fumbled returns.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Jan 2023 08:45
22nd is probably fair based on the blocked kicks and fumbled returns.
After watching Amari Rodgers return kickoffs and punts in 2021, the Packers somehow allowed him to continue in that role for more than 1/2 of the 2022 season.

Rodgers was an even bigger disaster as a returner, leading the NFL in fumbles, this year than he was under former Special Teams Coordinator Mo Drayton in 2021.

I do not believe for 1 second that Bisaccia preferred Rodgers over Keisean Nixon, a guy Bisaccia obviously lobbied to have come to GB with him from the Raiders.

I do believe Rodgers was trying, and badly failing, to return kicks for the Packers in 2022 because the GM used his 3rd and 4th picks to select him in the 2021 draft and, as Rodgers could not get on the field as a WR, the organization was desperate to justify his selection.

GB has had some truly bad Special Teams Coordinators over the past 15 years, but Bisaccia is not one of them.

And, as with the Amari Rodgers over Keisean Nixon as lead returner debacle, the responsibility for the poor Special Teams play over the years can not solely attributed to the poor coaching m.

Anyone recall the name of the 198 pound long snapper who got bowled over leading to the blocked punt TD in last season’s playoff loss to the Niners?

I’d say Bisaccia did a great job in beginning to turn around the awful Special Teams culture that had been in place in GB for many years before his arrival.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
22 Jan 2023 08:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Jan 2023 08:53
Lower than I expected - ranked 22nd overall - but I suppose I’m letting the late season progression cloud the early season struggles.
They started out very bad at the beginning of the year. If you only count the games from the second half of the season, it’s an entirely different thing.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I do believe Bootybumst and LaFleur forced Rodgers on Bisaccia. I believe the Packers made so many mistakes with Rodgers. He would have been fine in the slot but they made moves for Cobb and preferred Lazard in the slot as well. Aaron Rodgers wanted Cobb because the franchise miserably failed to acquire weapons so he felt he needed to force their hand which was correct but they player he wanted was not. Then they tried to force Amari to have a role as a returned which he clearly wasn’t and it forced their hand to cut him.

He actually wasn’t terrible with the Texans as a real receiver. I had said all along if the Packers just stayed patient and let him play that role next year he would be fine. Instead they cut him because he couldn’t be the returner they were forcing him to be.

A true disaster of a move from a dog &%$@ GM.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Jan 2023 14:53
I do believe Bootybumst and LaFleur forced Rodgers on Bisaccia. I believe the Packers made so many mistakes with Rodgers. He would have been fine in the slot but they made moves for Cobb and preferred Lazard in the slot as well. Aaron Rodgers wanted Cobb because the franchise miserably failed to acquire weapons so he felt he needed to force their hand which was correct but they player he wanted was not. Then they tried to force Amari to have a role as a returned which he clearly wasn’t and it forced their hand to cut him.

He actually wasn’t terrible with the Texans as a real receiver. I had said all along if the Packers just stayed patient and let him play that role next year he would be fine. Instead they cut him because he couldn’t be the returner they were forcing him to be.

A true disaster of a move from a dog &%$@ GM.
Correction: The Packers cut Rogers because he continued to cough up the ball.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!