YoHo's Early Draft Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I wouldn’t mind Branch if I needed a slot CB and got him in the 2nd. Taking him top half of the first round to me is stupid.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Jan 2023 15:31
I wouldn’t mind Branch if I needed a slot CB and got him in the 2nd. Taking him top half of the first round to me is stupid.
depends on your value of the slot (star) position, myself I rank it high, in fact I rank it just as high as safety, or ILB, often there tasked with covering the best WR, RB's or TE's and they have to play stout enough to play in traffic, Branch sounds like a perfect fit for that, but as you said we already have Savage for that next year, for that reason I wouldn't use a top 20 pick on him either.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

100% with Lupe on this

barf barf on branch. no thanks

johnson is the stand alone best S by a mile imo. branch is a day 3 guy for me.

TE is deep. love some later guys

Rashee Rice is the best hands catcher in the draft. he wows me how he attacks the football. a good combine hes a top 40. Boutte my number 1 and it isnt really close.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Jan 2023 15:23
Top receiving TEs this year within top 50 receivers:
Kelce - 1338
Hockenson - 914
Andrews - 847
Engram - 766
Kittle - 765
Freiermuth - 732

2021:
Andrews - 1361
Kelce - 1125
Pitts - 1026
Kittle - 910
Goedert - 830
Schultz - 808
Gronkowski - 802
Gesicki - 780
Ertz - 763

In my opinion it isn't necessarily where you draft them, but how you use them. I honestly think way too many coaches in the NFL are neglecting the use of the TE.
Gesicki is a prime example. that dude is good and he was under used this year. I get the addition of Hill but he was an afterthought this year. I would take that guy in a heartbeat

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just heard from Ben Fenell that of all players in college football with at least 90 tackles the year, Brian Branch had the lowest missed tackle rate at 3.3%

Sooooo

Also had a higher PFF run defense grade than pass defense grade (90 to 87)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Jan 2023 14:30
Just heard from Ben Fenell that of all players in college football with at least 90 tackles the year, Brian Branch had the lowest missed tackle rate at 3.3%

Sooooo

no way this kid is around on day 3, or likely slot 25 either, slot corner is now a starting position, even in base he probably stays on the field, and Nickel coverage gets the majority of the snaps, but again we have Savage, and his best position is the slot.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

We’re talking about Branch at 15. Not on day 3 [mention]Yoop[/mention]

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Jan 2023 14:50
We’re talking about Branch at 15. Not on day 3 @Yoop
sorry, I was referring to BTP Forevers day 3 comment

Branch is mocked at 17 to Detroit in one mock and 30 in another, course thats expected now.

3 Mocks I've seen have us taking Notre Dame TE Mayer

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Jan 2023 14:30

Sooooo

It's like someone posted that in this very thread ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Another draft thought: this draft class stinks.

I'm looking at a lot of these prospects and guys slotted to go top 20 or so compare to past class' second rounders.

Keely Ringo reminds me of Kevin King--tall, fast, athletic but actually boom or bust in coverage. Darnell Washington isn't much more of a "unicorn" than Jelani Woods (better blocker right now, though). Quentin Johnson screams Day Two all day--maybe the kind that works out nicely, but still. Will Levis (thought by many to be top 10) feels a lot like Jordan Love coming out (physical tools, disappointing senior year, total project)

There are just very few prospects who combine the elite athleticism with experience/production and technique. Usually I feel like the first round is about 22-26 deep. This year, it's honestly maybe 16 deep.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I also think this is a bad draft class. CB is pretty stacked I think. TE is very deep. It’s a very bad WR class IMO. QB is getting a lot of love but I don’t see why. Personally I would swing for the fences and take Richardson. He’s the only one with the potential to be great. Levis possibly but I don’t like him being as old as he is already and still underdeveloped. There’s some decent edge talent.

But yes there’s really only a handful of players I have any interest in and they will likely all be gone. Sadly I think we end up with an OT the way I’ve kind of looked at it so far. The way WRs go I just can’t see Johnston or JSN being there and I have no interest in Addison. I can’t imagine going defense in the 1st again after how poorly the offense performed all season.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Jan 2023 22:10
I also think this is a bad draft class. CB is pretty stacked I think. TE is very deep. It’s a very bad WR class IMO. QB is getting a lot of love but I don’t see why. Personally I would swing for the fences and take Richardson. He’s the only one with the potential to be great. Levis possibly but I don’t like him being as old as he is already and still underdeveloped. There’s some decent edge talent.

But yes there’s really only a handful of players I have any interest in and they will likely all be gone. Sadly I think we end up with an OT the way I’ve kind of looked at it so far. The way WRs go I just can’t see Johnston or JSN being there and I have no interest in Addison. I can’t imagine going defense in the 1st again after how poorly the offense performed all season.
TE and EDGE are both very deep, but also kind of weak at the top. Mayer is a poor man's Hockenson and is the consensus top guy.

I agree that the QB class is nothing special. The ones with the higher ceilings (Richardson and Levis) are such gambles that it's tough to justify early; you better trust your coaching and the plan. Stroud versus UGA is an All Pro, but it's the best he's ever looked, so also a gamble. Young is safe but I could see him being more Tua-ish, for worse and for better.

Agreed WR class stinks. JSN is the only guy I'd think of as a clear first round guy, and even he is coming off of a lost year of hamstring issues that are worrying. There are guys I like but their draft stock may get pushed above their real value due to scarcity.

I also hate the second tier safeties I've looked at thus far; maybe the third tier has some more useful guys, but I feel like of our needs, EDGE and TE will be easy to add a decent prospect. WR and S we have to find the right diamonds. OT should be fine.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Put it this way regarding a possible TE. If the TE in question had the foreseeable impact of a guy like Kelse, would that make it worth drafting a TE in round 1?

My first impression is that it would. That said, we can’t really foresee with perfect ability. Also,
If you also need an impact WR and one you value is available in round 1, you pick the WR.
If an impact DT/DE/Edge is available in round 1/2, you pick the DT/DE/Edge.
If an impact S who can generate turnovers and be reliable in various facets of a dynamic defense, you pick the S.

In other words, you probably only pick that TE as a luxury pick, as in if you feel strong at those other positions. That, even if you “know” he will be great. If those other guys are likely to be great as well, then that’s where you go, I think. (Unless you are a certain coach from New England.)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Jan 2023 15:04
In other words, you probably only pick that TE as a luxury pick, as in if you feel strong at those other positions.
This is the general narrative, but it's wrong. Kittle and Kelce showcased it again this weekend.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Jan 2023 22:01
Darnell Washington isn't much more of a "unicorn" than Jelani Woods (better blocker right now, though).
We will have to see how he runs. I like him from what I have watched so far. I like him better than Mayer.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
23 Jan 2023 15:48
Scott4Pack wrote:
In other words, you probably only pick that TE as a luxury pick, as in if you feel strong at those other positions.
This is the general narrative, but it's wrong. Kittle and Kelce showcased it again this weekend.
Tonyan was a huge contributor 2 years ago, 52 receptions, 11 TD's, lots of 1st down completions, only about 400 yrds, but the over all yrds palled compared to moving the chains and the red zone prowess, we've surely missed Big Bob these last 2 seasons

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
I’ll accept your Kittle and Kelce and raise you a RichRodge and a host of “can’t miss” TEs.
:-)

But a special TE is too tantalizing to pass up, right?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Jan 2023 17:13
NCF wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
I’ll accept your Kittle and Kelce and raise you a RichRodge and a host of “can’t miss” TEs.

Richard Rodgers was labeled a can't miss TE??
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jan 2023 17:15
Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Jan 2023 17:13
NCF wrote:

Richard Rodgers was labeled a can't miss TE??
No. I figured somebody might chime on that. I meant RichRodge and then the “can’t miss” TEs. Sorry I didn’t explain that better. Would’ve been better served to not mention RichRodge at all in that sentence anyhow. But I was thinking about him and so, there it is. Lol.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Jan 2023 21:23
No thanks on Branch. Might as well just keep a Savage. They’re the same player. Small safety that plays small. Branch is slightly more physical but he shys away from contact just as much as Savage and has to deal with it less because of the team he plays for. No thanks. You can get away with taking safeties later and them having impacts. I’m not taking a small safety that early.
I don’t see a player that plays “small” here. I also see a player vastly different than Savage. If anything, I see a guy with the same swag as Jaire.

Yeah, these are highlights but Branch clearly hits with enthusiasm and plays with aggression. Not sure where you see “soft” in his game. Now, I’m not pining for Branch but I think he’s got talent and would add to the Packer secondary.