Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

^^ - thanks, that's really interesting as far as 2023 opponents
IT. IS. TIME

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

It's not a football season unless the LA Rams are coming to Lambeau!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Jan 2023 19:10
Falcons hired Coach Jerry Gray as Assistant Head Coach. Sigh.
I'm not heartbroken that we lost the guy who couldn't get the talent we have in the secondary to actually communicate until the end of the year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
01 Feb 2023 12:52
Rodgers gave a big endorsement of Bisaccia:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 860452007/
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers might not know if he'll play in the NFL again but he's certain about one thing: Rich Bisaccia should be an NFL head coach.

"If anyone ever called me as a reference, one name that has been floating around out there who I would give a ringing endorsement to is Rich Bisaccia," Rodgers said during his Tuesday appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show," referencing the Packers' special teams coordinator. "I'm a tremendous, tremendous fan of his."
thanks for the article, my last free one, guess it's time to take the 3 months 3 bucks intro off er again, then forget to cancel, and pay full ticket till I remember :lol: good read.

I hate to lose this guy, in one year he tuned our ST's up, another season of finding gem cast offs and we could take another giant step towards respectability.

snipit
Among them includes Bisaccia's "incredible" ability to control a players' room through accountability and respect. Bisaccia is "very thoughtful, very sharp" who brings "love" to his relationships, which Rodgers said, is the "perfect combo."

"He's a prototypical leader who wants to be respected more than he's liked," said Rodgers.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2023 12:52

I’m already planning to go to the game in Denver. Wife is a Bronco fan. At least that’s a good stadium. And easy enough to get to.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
01 Feb 2023 16:17
Scott4Pack wrote:
I'm not heartbroken that we lost the guy who couldn't get the talent we have in the secondary to actually communicate until the end of the year.
No but he was the one that ignited the defense when they were stinking it up.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Acrobat wrote:
01 Feb 2023 16:17
Scott4Pack wrote:
I can understand this viewpoint but I think the disfunction went deeper than just Gray. It sounds like there were philosophical differences between Gray and Barry that bled into the locker room and players. You don't see the player comments we saw this year when everybody is on the same page.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

total disfunction on defense, players quitting on the coach for over half a season, finally something happens, no one really knows what exactly, but inside of 2 weeks we saw vast improvements, players giving 110% again, adjustments to coverage schemes, less reliance on a pass rush that had declined drastically after the loss of Gary.

imo there was a battle between status quo from Barry, and a defense of his secondary players from Gray, in which the pass rush was so poor that coverage ability was compromised, Gray won out with support from the players and probably Lafleur and we used less cover 3 and used more cover 6 which is more friendly to pass coverage

Lafleur intends to keep Barry, and Gray is being interviewed for a DC job with the Colts, strange times we live in, Lafleur defending Barry after dumping Pettine is weird, probably because DC is becoming a revolving door here lately and dumping them every two seasons is becoming epidemic.

Gray, in Barry's first season even with out Alexander had our secondary ball hawking with very good coverage, helped because of very good pass pressure, hopefully improved pass rush will benefit the coverage again whomever the secondary coach is.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Why it is generally a bad idea to keep on staff from a prior coach/coordinator.

Didn't work with LaFleur being forced (maybe wasn't so forced) to keep Pettine.

Didn't work with Barry being forced (maybe wasn't so forced) to keep Gray.

All us plebs can do down here is hope having a cohesive defensive staff now, all on one page, will lead to some improvements on D. Don't even need crazy unthinkable improvement. We've shown some really nice flashes here and there, now its just improving consistency and tighten up a few things (tackling, covering tighter on 3rd and 1, etc) we should be right at a top 5-10 with just that. We have a very young talented D, lot of room to hope for organic improvement as well.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
02 Feb 2023 08:52

All us plebs can do down here is hope having a cohesive defensive staff now, all on one page, will lead to some improvements on D. Don't even need crazy unthinkable improvement. We've shown some really nice flashes here and there, now its just improving consistency and tighten up a few things (tackling, covering tighter on 3rd and 1, etc) we should be right at a top 5-10 with just that. We have a very young talented D, lot of room to hope for organic improvement as well.
Excellent point and I am surprised this isn't getting more discussion. Barry is a Front-7 guy. Not surprising most of our issues were in the secondary. I am not a Barry apologist by any means but I would really like to see what happens when he gets his own guy to run that unit. I don't know if it needs to be more simplistic or more complicated or what the issues are, but I do think there is plenty of room to improve on defense simply by improving the coaching cohesion/vision on that side of the ball.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I hope Lazard does not go where Rodgers goes; I don't want Rodgers to have that excuse for his inevitable choke. :twisted:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I've been hearing Lazard is actually one of the higher end WRs on the FA market this year. It's not a great year to have a lot of money to spend (Chicago Bears)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
02 Feb 2023 13:34
It's not a great year to have a lot of money to spend (Chicago Bears)
Bears have Luke Getsy at OC - so its a fair guess they'll be in on the Lazard FA talks. I hope he finds a better oppty than that crappy team
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If they wanna roll with Chase Claypool and Alan Lazard, paying them what they are going to be paying them.

They have my blessing.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

cool twitter thread from Jay Sorgi on the super impressive 1962 Packers defense
They were neck and neck with the Steel Curtain in terms of defensive prowess

IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2023 09:41
BF004 wrote:

Excellent point and I am surprised this isn't getting more discussion. Barry is a Front-7 guy. Not surprising most of our issues were in the secondary. I am not a Barry apologist by any means but I would really like to see what happens when he gets his own guy to run that unit. I don't know if it needs to be more simplistic or more complicated or what the issues are, but I do think there is plenty of room to improve on defense simply by improving the coaching cohesion/vision on that side of the ball.
coverage ability and pass rush depend on each other for success, without looking up a bunch of data to support my opinion I'll offer this, prior to Gary injury, from game 1 on, did you get the impression Alexander was upset with Gray, his position coach, or Barry's coverage schemes, which he himself said WE ARE A ZONE coverage defense, and it was barry that stuck with weak zone coverage concepts after Gary was hurt and the pass rush drastically declined,

It's always been my inclination that Lafleur and possibly Gray along with the players that forced Barry to finally adjust the coverages ( cover 6 makes each coverage zone smaller) to allow for weaker pass rush, Barry has been stubborn as a mule.

Gray is being offered a DC position because he's earned it, our secondary, hell the whole defense played great the game Barry missed, more man coverage, every article, which admittedly isn't many about Gray have been positive,

again 3 new DC's in a 6 years span doesn't look good, and will make it harder to attract the better ones in the future, Lafleur will sink or swim with Barry, another season of what we saw last year will end both there jobs

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2023 14:12
NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:

coverage ability and pass rush depend on each other for success, without looking up a bunch of data to support my opinion I'll offer this, prior to Gary injury, from game 1 on, did you get the impression Alexander was upset with Gray, his position coach, or Barry's coverage schemes, which he himself said WE ARE A ZONE coverage defense, and it was barry that stuck with weak zone coverage concepts after Gary was hurt and the pass rush drastically declined,

It's always been my inclination that Lafleur and possibly Gray along with the players that forced Barry to finally adjust the coverages ( cover 6 makes each coverage zone smaller) to allow for weaker pass rush, Barry has been stubborn as a mule.

Gray is being offered a DC position because he's earned it, our secondary, hell the whole defense played great the game Barry missed, more man coverage, every article, which admittedly isn't many about Gray have been positive,

again 3 new DC's in a 6 years span doesn't look good, and will make it harder to attract the better ones in the future, Lafleur will sink or swim with Barry, another season of what we saw last year will end both there jobs
I got the impression that they wanted to play a bunch of zone but the secondary couldn't communicate well enough to know who was covering where. You're right, that responsibility goes up to Barry and even LaFleur, but I tend to think Gray is most responsible for that specific deficiency.

Also, Gray is not being offered a DC position. He is the secondary coach for Atlanta, but picked up the AHC title.

I think Gray is a good coach and his players obviously liked him, but I just think the fit with him and Barry wasn't ideal and I think Barry getting his own guy can help improve things. We'll see.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2023 14:19
Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2023 14:12
NCF wrote:

I got the impression that they wanted to play a bunch of zone but the secondary couldn't communicate well enough to know who was covering where. You're right, that responsibility goes up to Barry and even LaFleur, but I tend to think Gray is most responsible for that specific deficiency.

Also, Gray is not being offered a DC position. He is the secondary coach for Atlanta, but picked up the AHC title.

I think Gray is a good coach and his players obviously liked him, but I just think the fit with him and Barry wasn't ideal and I think Barry getting his own guy can help improve things. We'll see.
sorry I thought he was moving up to DC, lateral move though tends to mean Barry and Lafleur want to change.

hope we find a good DB coach