New York Jets and Trade Compensation

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

wizard 87 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:45
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but any trading partner out there isn't giving you "picks" and "players" for a 39 soon to be 40 yr QB that could be/most likely is 1 and done. If you get a 1st and a 5th or something along those lines I would take it and run for the hills quickly.

After how badly Denver got fleeced in the Wilson deal a lot of teams aren't even going to sniff him now not to mention the cap implications. :idn:
Do you think NYJ hired Hackett as OC because they were super impressed with his credentials and resume, after the year he just had?

I would have thought the Wilson trade would give these GMs the good sense not to try to make a move like this, but bad teams want above-average QB play and playoff berths something fierce and will do crazy things to try to get it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:35
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Feb 2023 12:59
NY owns the #13 and the #44

Las Vegas owns the #7 and the #38
LV offers better picks. But NYJ is only a few spots behind and has more attractive players to offer.

Some Jets I could see them offer and could help us out: Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Tyler Conklin, CJ Uzomah, John Franklin-Meyers, a few other guys as throw ins including potentially Zac Wilson.

Raiders, ehh... maybe Foster Moreau since they already have Waller (and Rodgers will not use the traditional TE much, but he might use Waller), then it's mainly throw-in guys like maybe a Jerry Tillery, but it's a pretty meh group. Renfrow and/or Waller would rock, but I doubt they want to part with either of them.
Given our cap, and the fact the Jets would be looking to compete asap, they aren’t gunna want trade away key pieces and we don’t really want veterans on 2nd contracts.

Just browsing their roster, Jeremy Ruckery stands out. They got two decent TE’s over him, he’s got 3 years of rookie contract left. I’d be happy to get him, otherwise pretty much I just want picks.

Unpopular opinion too, but I’d love ‘24 and ‘25 firsts. Gotta figure both picks in the 20’s and not super valuable, nowhere near their 13, so maybe we get and stuff.

But gotta somewhat be in the mindset of let’s see if Jordan Love is real or not. This gives you 1 or 2 years to figure it out. If he is real, amazing, we get all these extra picks, could be the team to be 2025-2030. If not, gives us ammunition to move up and get a other QB come ‘24 or ‘25 and reset again should it come to that.

I’d hate to get pick 13 and we get a stud something, but then next offseason we have no QB and no ammo.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

wizard 87 wrote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but any trading partner out there isn't giving you "picks" and "players" for a 39 soon to be 40 yr QB that could be/most likely is 1 and done. If you get a 1st and a 5th or something along those lines I would take it and run for the hills quickly.

After how badly Denver got fleeced in the Wilson deal a lot of teams aren't even going to sniff him now not to mention the cap implications. :idn:
The reporters are quoting sources with the team that is being discussed, in this case the NY Jets.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 12:10
Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 11:53
why would a GM give up two first for Rodgers when he is incapable of winning a SB, or is it that our GM's over the years have made it to hard a task for the QB to over come there poor decisions, and the GM's that are interested know this.

everyone in a hurry to dump Rodgers for Love simply refuses to believe that, they also refuse to accept that the odds of Love ever QBing a Packers team to a SB win are almost zero to none, just as it is for almost every QB in the league
GMs of teams that are way worse than us. If you think this FO is stupid as you routinely claim, I wonder how stupid the FOs of teams that do even worse than us every year must be. But sure, let's trust their judgment going all out for Rodgers, clearly Denver showed how smart a move that is.

FFS, Rodgers is 39 and showing it. Love doesn't need to have a better career than Rodgers to justify us moving on now, he just needs to be better than him now (which isn't actually that high of a bar to clear, Geno Smith did it this past season) *OR* offer more good years for us than Rodgers will.

Rodgers has like 3 more good years in him, if even that (this past season was not one). Love is the same age as some QBs in the coming draft (and he's not staying to ride pine another year). Do the math. If Love can play then the ~12 years is way more valuable than just 1-3 (more like 1-0). Even if he can't, losing one or two good years of an old QB really isn't that big of a deal.
well according to you we can't win with Rodgers, so if we can't win with him why would any GM trade a boat load of picks for him? fact is Rodgers didn't look as good last year BECAUSE the offense looked equally as bad, and he had a broken thumb for most of the season.

and if you and Ghost or anyone for that matter think playing hard ball with him and try forcing him to go to a team he doesn't want to go to won't create a &%$@ storm you havn't been paying attention to just how stubborn Rodgers is.

If Guty and Ball can figure out how to keep most of the talent, then I don't see us trading Rodgers, he still gives us the best chance to win next season, and Love is the guy who lacks any leverage, he isn't going any where, and if he doesn't like it that just to bad, I can't believe any of you would think he has any clout at all, and Rodgers is some whipping boy Guty can do what he wants to with, how much did you pay for these tickets to dreamland :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:50
wizard 87 wrote:

Do you think NYJ hired Hackett as OC because they were super impressed with his credentials and resume, after the year he just had?

I would have thought the Wilson trade would give these GMs the good sense not to try to make a move like this, but bad teams want above-average QB play and playoff berths something fierce and will do crazy things to try to get it.
Hackett may not be HC material, but we know he's a good OC, and the NYJ are a QB shy of being a contender, I agree with Wizard in that 2 first for Rogers is a steep price,

but all this talk of Douglas and the Jets offering 2 first or whatever is mostly gossip.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:14
Pugger wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:46
Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:14

Its been three years for Love. If he needs more grooming its time we trade HIM, or just fire the people who selected him instead of a WR.
It's really been only 2. Love's rookie season was during the height of COVID restrictions. Was there TC that year? If memory serves he was the #3 QB and never even dressed for a game so I'm guessing he didn't get a lot of reps during the week.
I NEVER hear this excuse for any other rookie. Not any QBs heading into year 4, not any other players. Just for Love.

Guy misses a regular rookie offseason and we want to pretend the entire year didn’t count.

Craziest thing ive ever heard.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Jalen Hurts all taken in the same class. I never hear their rookie years dont count.
Those other rookies actually played in their rookie seasons and Love did not. You don't think that makes a difference? I'm not saying it is an excuse, it was just what happened. Rodgers looked like crap until his 3rd year and he turned out to be pretty good. We got a glimpse of Jordan's play this year and he looked better than he did against KC in 2021. We will know if Packers' management believe Love is ready if they trade AR away this spring.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Whether Love is ready or not isn't relevant to the decision to move on from Rodgers. We can't win with him and his value can build for a future without him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:18
Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:14
Pugger wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:46

It's really been only 2. Love's rookie season was during the height of COVID restrictions. Was there TC that year? If memory serves he was the #3 QB and never even dressed for a game so I'm guessing he didn't get a lot of reps during the week.
I NEVER hear this excuse for any other rookie. Not any QBs heading into year 4, not any other players. Just for Love.

Guy misses a regular rookie offseason and we want to pretend the entire year didn’t count.

Craziest thing ive ever heard.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Jalen Hurts all taken in the same class. I never hear their rookie years dont count.
Those other rookies actually played in their rookie seasons and Love did not. You don't think that makes a difference? I'm not saying it is an excuse, it was just what happened. Rodgers looked like crap until his 3rd year and he turned out to be pretty good. We got a glimpse of Jordan's play this year and he looked better than he did against KC in 2021. We will know if Packers' management believe Love is ready if they trade AR away this spring.
Rodgers looked like crap his first three years? I know he came in for like a game and didn’t look great, but reports are that he “wow’d” people in practice and the org had confidence they could go forward with him and without Favre.

Also, Love was a first round pick. If he was so bad he couldn’t beat out a guy we let walk at the end of the season (Boyle) and that meant he had to wear street clothes on game day..whose fault is that?

I would say either Loves for sucking or Gutes for drafting a 4th round project in the first round. Either way, Love was in the league and on the team and drafted in the first round. Writing off his rookie year as if it “just doesn’t count”
Is crazy. This is Loves fourth year. He was a first and 4th round pick. If he can’t play at this point, another year on the bench isn’t going to save him.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:35
I really think that for Rodgers fanboys, having him as our starting QB and playing above-average is about equal in enjoyableness as an actual SuperBowl season. Like, I think they would honestly rather have a decade of great Rodgers play without a SuperBowl win like 2011-2022 than to win it all with Trent Dilfer at QB (they will never admit it, but you can just hear them saying "eew!!" to the thought of the latter).
blah, blah, blah maybe some of us realize that Rodgers is still better then Love, and that last season was a anomaly, and the only reason to move on is do to the hole the FO dug with the contract.

the only teams that plan for 2 or 3 years into the future are bottom feeders, and rebuilding teams, and we aint that, this team is prime for a run STILL, why get rid of the most important position on the field, I can't believe I have to sit hear day after day and explain the frailty of your proposition, your counting on Love to become Purdy, and this team can, what carry Love as though you think that was the case with Purdy and the Niners, it wasn't, Purdy will compete to start next year because he didn't get flattered under pressure, stayed poised, read his progressions and delivered the ball, something you rarely ever saw with Love.

we may end up trading Rodgers, at this stage of it though I resent your implication that some of us would rather watch Rodgers play for us then winning a SB, thats BS and you know it.
Last edited by Yoop on 05 Feb 2023 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:42
the only teams that plan for 2 or 3 years into the future are bottom feeders
the Packers literally always are planning for 2-3 years in the future. Its why we drafted Love when we needed a WR in the first place. Also why we drafted Gary at 12 when we just put 100million into the same position.

Also probably why we havent won a super bowl in a decade.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:05
Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:35
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Feb 2023 12:59
NY owns the #13 and the #44

Las Vegas owns the #7 and the #38
LV offers better picks. But NYJ is only a few spots behind and has more attractive players to offer.

Some Jets I could see them offer and could help us out: Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Tyler Conklin, CJ Uzomah, John Franklin-Meyers, a few other guys as throw ins including potentially Zac Wilson.

Raiders, ehh... maybe Foster Moreau since they already have Waller (and Rodgers will not use the traditional TE much, but he might use Waller), then it's mainly throw-in guys like maybe a Jerry Tillery, but it's a pretty meh group. Renfrow and/or Waller would rock, but I doubt they want to part with either of them.
Given our cap, and the fact the Jets would be looking to compete asap, they aren’t gunna want trade away key pieces and we don’t really want veterans on 2nd contracts.

Just browsing their roster, Jeremy Ruckery stands out. They got two decent TE’s over him, he’s got 3 years of rookie contract left. I’d be happy to get him, otherwise pretty much I just want picks.

Unpopular opinion too, but I’d love ‘24 and ‘25 firsts. Gotta figure both picks in the 20’s and not super valuable, nowhere near their 13, so maybe we get and stuff.

But gotta somewhat be in the mindset of let’s see if Jordan Love is real or not. This gives you 1 or 2 years to figure it out. If he is real, amazing, we get all these extra picks, could be the team to be 2025-2030. If not, gives us ammunition to move up and get a other QB come ‘24 or ‘25 and reset again should it come to that.

I’d hate to get pick 13 and we get a stud something, but then next offseason we have no QB and no ammo.
Yeah but I don't think the players I listed for either team are "key" for them. I am not expecting guys like Sheldon Rankins or Laken Tomlinson, but guys they can move and still compete who are expendable based on the other guys they have, or can easily be replaced with some FA.

Didn't they like just draft Ruckert? If they offer him up in a trade after one year, I'm not sure I want him.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:53
Yoop wrote:
the only teams that plan for 2 or 3 years into the future are bottom feeders
the Packers literally always are planning for 2-3 years in the future. Its why we drafted Love when we needed a WR in the first place. Also why we drafted Gary at 12 when we just put 100million into the same position.

Also probably why we havent won a super bowl in a decade.
good point, I looked at the Gary pick though as a Mike Smith loudest voice in the draft room pick, and Love as a message to Rodgers that I control this team from Guty pick.

Rodger is still a lot better then the QB we saw last year ( thats why GM's for other teams are interested) and this team has to much talent to just move on with Love, for anyone to just want to trade him, dump second contract vets and rebuild is depending on a lot of stuff working out perfectly, and it usually doesn't, hell it could end up us not even reaching the PO's again for a decade.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:54
Didn't they like just draft Ruckert? If they offer him up in a trade after one year, I'm not sure I want him.
Yes.

You literally just said recent 2nd round pick Elijah Moore could help us, but a recent 3rd round TE, you’d be concerned cause the jets don’t want him?

If you don’t like him personally, that’s fine, but be consistent at least.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 16:30
Labrev wrote:
Yes.

You literally just said recent 2nd round pick Elijah Moore could help us, but a recent 3rd round TE, you’d be concerned cause the jets don’t want him?

2nd round is before the 3rd round FYI.

Also, Elijah Moore was a breakout rookie star, if we get him...its obvious he is a key player that has proven he can play. The Jets want to keep him because they used him so much, but would only give him up because it would allow them to get Rodgers.

There is little evidence the Jets are happy they selected Ruckert. He played in 9 games, started none, and caught one pass all year for 8 yards.

You see the difference right?

You see one has proven he is an asset and one hasnt proven anything right?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:11
well according to you we can't win with Rodgers, so if we can't win with him why would any GM trade a boat load of picks for him?
That's right, I don't think WE can win with Rodgers. I also think that if it's at all possible for Rodgers to win a SB (doubt it) it will be for some other team that built up a really good supporting cast while not paying Elite QB money anytime recently.

Why would GMs offer lots of picks for him?

(1)
Those teams are trying to follow the Bucs/Rams model. Bucs and Rams built up an offense with lots of nice pieces because they were not paying for an Elite QB and had lots of money to play around with, so all they had to do at that point was go out and get the QB.

Neither team looks good anymore because taking on a top QB's contract led them to lose a lot of talent (a very real phenomenon as much as you try to handwave it), but it worked out for them in the one year they needed it to. Green Bay can't follow the Bucs/Rams model, because the key was to build up the supporting cast AND THEN get the QB, whereas we have had the QB and try to make it work around him and his contract.

(2)
Teams like the Jets and Raiders don't even need a SB win to make it worth it. For them, Rodgers leading to ticket sales alone will be well worth it. A playoff appearance also will be a huge boon by generating excitement around these teams, leading to more sales of tickets, jerseys, etc.

Ticket sales do not matter to GB.

(3)
The GMs of Jets, Raiders, etc. are patently way worse at their job than the GB FO you think are so bad. They can't even make the playoffs with any consistency, but you think their interest in Rodgers is vindication of his value? Yeah.
fact is Rodgers didn't look as good last year BECAUSE the offense looked equally as bad, and he had a broken thumb for most of the season.
Yeah, Rodgers just needs a good OL, good WR, and good defense to succeed, like Brock Purdy. That's why we pay him the big bucks. :roll:

Broken thumb is a claim that necessarily admits that Rodgers's play was sub-standard. You can't cite the thumb but then also deny that his play was sub-par. You kept insisting his play was fine, it was just the WRs not making plays, but if his play was fine then it means the thumb is irrelevant, because an injury only matters if it actually makes the player play worse.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:11
If Guty and Ball can figure out how to keep most of the talent, then I don't see us trading Rodgers, he still gives us the best chance to win next season, and Love is the guy who lacks any leverage, he isn't going any where, and if he doesn't like it that just to bad, I can't believe any of you would think he has any clout at all, and Rodgers is some whipping boy Guty can do what he wants to with,
I never said anything about playing hardball on Rodgers, maybe Ghost did.

By all accounts, Love feels he can play and will ask out if Rodgers is back.

There are three reasons why I am ~90% sure Gute will honor that request:

(1) their commitment to being seen as a classy oranization that does right by its players
(2) Love's fifth year option will pay him handsomely if we pick it up, and it makes no sense for us to do so unless we know he can play, which we will not be able to know if Rodgers is back because Love won't be playing.
(3) If we stick with Rodgers then we have to be playing for a SuperBowl. There is no justification to keep Love if he is going to be a FA after the season, which he will be if we don't pick up his option (which, again, is a big pay raise that doesn't make sense if we don't know if he can even play), and then get nothing for Love but a comp-pick two years from now.... when instead we can trade him to get some player(s) or draft pick(s) that can be used to help us compete THIS year while trying to force the Rodgers SB window open.

And Love just put some good tape against the Eagles, so his trade value is as high as its ever gonna be before he starts.

You keep lamenting over the possibility of Love not playing well. It's actually WORSE for Love not to play well if we hold onto both him and Rodgers, like you think we can (and seem to think?) we should.

If Love plays poorly after trading Rodgers, at least we will have gotten resources from a Rodgers trade to course-correct. If he plays poorly for us after keeping Rodgers, for one thing, if Love is on the team at all, it means we picked up his option or gave him a new contract, so we are paying way more dearly for the bad play than next season.

Two, more importantly, we will have missed out whatever we could have gotten from trading either one of him or Rodgers and only having bad QB play to show for that missed opportunity.

Time to get real; we are not gonna have our cake and eat it on this one. It's Love or Rodgers.
Last edited by Labrev on 05 Feb 2023 17:04, edited 2 times in total.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Yes.

Moore was rumored to be a guy that NYJ was shopping, something with him not fitting or being unhappy with the offense they were running this past season.

If true, not sure if MLF would want him in that case considering it's his brother's offense, but if my memory serves me then there is some reason to believe they would consider moving him. If I am imagining it entirely or the rumor did exist but is false, then yeah, I doubt we have any real shot at him.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 17:02
BF004 wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Yes.

Moore was rumored to be a guy that NYJ was shopping, something with him not fitting or being unhappy with the offense they were running this past season.

If true, not sure if MLF would want him in that case considering it's his brother's offense, but if my memory serves me then there is some reason to believe they would consider moving him. If I am imagining it entirely or the rumor did exist but is false, then yeah, I doubt we have any real shot at him.
He demanded a trade and salah went hard a** on him and basically benched him. But I think his main beef was with how awful Zach Wilson was. Maybe Lafleur too tho, who is no longer there..for a reason I would say

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
the only teams that plan for 2 or 3 years into the future are bottom feeders, and rebuilding teams, and we aint that, this team is prime for a run STILL, why get rid of the most important position on the field, I can't believe I have to sit hear day after day and explain the frailty of your proposition, your counting on Love to become Purdy, and this team can, what carry Love as though you think that was the case with Purdy and the Niners, it wasn't, Purdy will compete to start next year because he didn't get flattered under pressure, stayed poised, read his progressions and delivered the ball, something you rarely ever saw with Love.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not "counting" on anything w/r/t Love.

The point is we need to FIND OUT if Love can play, because the cost of going with Rodgers and being wrong (losing a QB who can play well for as long as 10-15 years) is way hgher than the cost of going with Love and being wrong (losing a QB who is pushing 40 and has only a handful of good years left).

And it's not that hard to outplay Rodgers anymore. If Geno Smith and Brock Purdy can do it, so can

By all accounts Love wants to play next year and will try to force a trade. You want to play hardball on him and make him stay put (while decrying the idea of doing that to Rodgers, which BTW I never advocated, you are once again getting posts mixed up old geezer), good for you.

Packers will likely honor his request if he does that, though, for two reasons: (1) their commitment to doing right by players, (2) if we stick with Rodgers then we are more-or-less going all-in in which case, better to trade Love for guys who will come in and play.

quit the fking put downs you ignorant jerk, maybe some of us realize that Rodgers is still better then Love, and that last season was a anomaly, and the only reason to move on is do to the hole the FO dug with the contract.

we may end up trading Rodgers, at this stage of it though I resent your implication that some of us would rather watch Rodgers play for us then winning a SB, thats BS and you know it.
As you point out many times, we don't actually know how good Love is, so I can't say Love is better (but that doesn't matter because it's not the reason why I think we need to move on). But you can't say we don't know how good Love is and then turn around and say Rodgers is definitely better, especially at a time when guys like Geno Smith are outplaying Rodgers, both in stats and team success.

This sort of illogic is why I have given up on thinking there is some rational reason behind clinging to Rodgers, even Lupe thinks it's time to move on. It's gotta be some emotional pathology, only question is what. The comfortable security of the status-quo, and a phobia over being a perrenial losing team which makes this stagnation look like the better option (ignoring that the risk of getting worse is not the only possible outcome; getting better is also possible) seems to be it.

*edit*
And frankly yoop, tough luck if you don't like it. You make unflattering assumptions about people who want to move on from Rodgers ('you darn kids just want change for change sake! you think Love will be good but where's the PROOF???') yet you don't see me complaining about it.
Last edited by Labrev on 05 Feb 2023 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:50
wizard 87 wrote:

No, I think( just my opinion) they hired him because ML and Jets HC Robert Saleh are best friends and ML gave him a great recommendation. Coaching circles are tight and about relationships. The assumption is it was all about Rodgers ...we all know what happens when you assume though. :beer2: