New York Jets and Trade Compensation

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 16:46
BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 16:30
Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:54
Didn't they like just draft Ruckert? If they offer him up in a trade after one year, I'm not sure I want him.
Yes.

You literally just said recent 2nd round pick Elijah Moore could help us, but a recent 3rd round TE, you’d be concerned cause the jets don’t want him?

If you don’t like him personally, that’s fine, but be consistent at least.
2nd round is before the 3rd round FYI.

Also, Elijah Moore was a breakout rookie star, if we get him...its obvious he is a key player that has proven he can play. The Jets want to keep him because they used him so much, but would only give him up because it would allow them to get Rodgers.

There is little evidence the Jets are happy they selected Ruckert. He played in 9 games, started none, and caught one pass all year for 8 yards.

You see the difference right?

You see one has proven he is an asset and one hasnt proven anything right?
Ruckert put more on film in Week 18 than any TE I can remember in GB since Finley.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
05 Feb 2023 17:45
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 16:30

Yes.

You literally just said recent 2nd round pick Elijah Moore could help us, but a recent 3rd round TE, you’d be concerned cause the jets don’t want him?

If you don’t like him personally, that’s fine, but be consistent at least.

Also, Elijah Moore was a breakout rookie star, if we get him...its obvious he is a key player that has proven he can play. The Jets want to keep him because they used him so much, but would only give him up because it would allow them to get Rodgers.

There is little evidence the Jets are happy they selected Ruckert. He played in 9 games, started none, and caught one pass all year for 8 yards.

Ruckert put more on film in Week 18 than any TE I can remember in GB since Finley.

he was def known to be a blocking TE out of college. Someone expected to be a good blocker but also very slow. I guess they would move him if they decided they want a pass catching threat at TE, and we would want him if we decide we want a marcedes lewis replacement
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 17:55
NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

he was def known to be a blocking TE out of college. Someone expected to be a good blocker but also very slow. I guess they would move him if they decided they want a pass catching threat at TE, and we would want him if we decide we want a marcedes lewis replacement
I’d say not fast rather than slow. Nothing wrong with his athletic profile at that size.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/sta ... -OhioState

Read More. Post Less.

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Not so fast on the jets deal

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wizard 87 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 19:27

Bidding wars.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I would go after CJ Uzomah from them, and they can let Ruckert slide into the traditional blocking TE role so it's not like they are losing much for a team gearing up to compete (also, Rodgers doesn't use the position much anyway).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

wizard 87 wrote:

This makes sense. Vegas is warmer than NY and he'd be reunited with Adams.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pugger wrote:
05 Feb 2023 23:25
wizard 87 wrote:

This makes sense. Vegas is warmer than NY and he'd be reunited with Adams.
Pretty sure no state income tax in NV. That is 8 or 9 games, probably about $3 million savings.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
05 Feb 2023 18:53
Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 17:55
NCF wrote:

I’d say not fast rather than slow. Nothing wrong with his athletic profile at that size.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/sta ... -OhioState
I would not expect you to just agree that someone that caught one pass for 8 yards all year was more of a blocking tight end (like marcedes Lewis)

This same player had 615 yards receiving total in his 4 year college career at OSU. Again, this doesn’t imply he’s bad..it implies he’s a blocking TE.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Feb 2023 12:50
Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 11:19
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Feb 2023 09:57
'll admit that I don't buy the idea that GB has no leverage. Trade him to the Jets. If he refuses to play or accept the deal, then he can retire.
why did you add PLAY in that comment, cause he does want to stay and play, in fact that is exactly what Rodgers has hinted all along

refuse the trade, wont retire, so we cut him and get nothing, right, like our GM is brainless, no one wins, and that isn't a favorable solution to this.
nope, we work out a trade to a team he accepts that gives us the best compensation, every player on this team, and the whole league will be watching how we handle this, screwing Rodgers is saying " don't come here, because when we are done with you, this is how we'll treat you.

treating players that where for many years the face of the franchise as though they are nothing but a meal ticket to the future is wrong any way you slice it, it's what Rodgers said just prior to that draft hold out 2 years ago.

and your idea that players didn't have agents during the Lombardi era isn't true either, your thinking that these players are property to be dealt with as you wish, wtf is that all about Ghost? I'am a union man, been a union man all my life, and thats partly the reasons for unions, owners of a business don't also own the employee's, just as the Packers don't own Aaron Rodgers
Rodgers CAN'T refuse the trade. If he does that he doesn't get paid AND he doesn't play. I think this has been confused in the reporting. Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract.

That said, it isn't an issue. With his vanity all the owner and new team needs to do is stroke his big ass ego. Jets fan and the NY media will be thrilled, as will their owner and their OFF coordinator.

As someone else pointed out, we can lose now and later with AR or trade him for picks and lose in 2023 but MAYBE have another 10+ year window for the playoffs and the SB.
NO team will trade anything worthwhile unless Rodgers agrees to play more than one year. If Rodgers won't agree to this, a trade will not happen. Therefore, your Rodgers must accept a trade or retire is simply not true.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 11:53
why would a GM give up two first for Rodgers when he is incapable of winning a SB, or is it that our GM's over the years have made it to hard a task for the QB to over come there poor decisions, and the GM's that are interested know this.

everyone in a hurry to dump Rodgers for Love simply refuses to believe that, they also refuse to accept that the odds of Love ever QBing a Packers team to a SB win are almost zero to none, just as it is for almost every QB in the league
Explain why ARs inability to throw deep, refusal to hit WRs open in the middle, and a reluctance to be a leader are a result of poor decisions by the GM? The poorest decision Gute has made is not to trade him sooner.

Almost every QB has no chance to win a SB? Somebody has to win of the 32 starters. Bet you said Hurts and Stafford had no chance either at points of their career.

And as far as assessing ARs value based on what a GM will trade for him - Do you think Russell Wilson is a great QB based on Denver's trade?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Feb 2023 04:09
I would not expect you to just agree that someone that caught one pass for 8 yards all year was more of a blocking tight end (like marcedes Lewis)

This same player had 615 yards receiving total in his 4 year college career at OSU. Again, this doesn’t imply he’s bad..it implies he’s a blocking TE.
I know what you think the implication is, but I do not agree with it. This was my favorite TE prospect coming out last year. I watched a lot of film and read a ton of reports. I am specifically taking issue with your claim that he is very slow but also disagreeing that he is only a blocking TE. In fact, this one article is very interesting. It lists Tonyan as a player comp. Tonyan is a lot of things and Tonyan isn't a lot of things, but Tonyan is a very athletic TE. There are a lot of variables in his college production so you can't just say he didn't produce so that must mean he's a blocker.
Player Comparisons
Jesse James (Chicago Bears): The former Penn State tight end saw a similar amount of usage when he was in school. After a promising start with the Pittsburgh Steelers, James has struggled to find consistency. That being said, in Pittsburgh he was a reliable target in the passing game like Ruckert, and has been a plus run-blocker.

Robert Tonyan (Green Bay Packers): Tonyan has the exact same build as Ruckert, which gives Ruckert a blueprint to follow. The Packers tight end has been a crucial part of the blocking scheme in front of Aaron Jones, and has provided a reliable security blanket for Aaron Rodgers. If Ruckert can use his athleticism and establish himself as a versatile blocker, he can find similar success.
https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2022/ ... -tight-end

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 15:05
Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:35
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Feb 2023 12:59
NY owns the #13 and the #44

Las Vegas owns the #7 and the #38
LV offers better picks. But NYJ is only a few spots behind and has more attractive players to offer.

Some Jets I could see them offer and could help us out: Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Tyler Conklin, CJ Uzomah, John Franklin-Meyers, a few other guys as throw ins including potentially Zac Wilson.

Raiders, ehh... maybe Foster Moreau since they already have Waller (and Rodgers will not use the traditional TE much, but he might use Waller), then it's mainly throw-in guys like maybe a Jerry Tillery, but it's a pretty meh group. Renfrow and/or Waller would rock, but I doubt they want to part with either of them.
Given our cap, and the fact the Jets would be looking to compete asap, they aren’t gunna want trade away key pieces and we don’t really want veterans on 2nd contracts.

Just browsing their roster, Jeremy Ruckery stands out. They got two decent TE’s over him, he’s got 3 years of rookie contract left. I’d be happy to get him, otherwise pretty much I just want picks.

Unpopular opinion too, but I’d love ‘24 and ‘25 firsts. Gotta figure both picks in the 20’s and not super valuable, nowhere near their 13, so maybe we get and stuff.

But gotta somewhat be in the mindset of let’s see if Jordan Love is real or not. This gives you 1 or 2 years to figure it out. If he is real, amazing, we get all these extra picks, could be the team to be 2025-2030. If not, gives us ammunition to move up and get a other QB come ‘24 or ‘25 and reset again should it come to that.

I’d hate to get pick 13 and we get a stud something, but then next offseason we have no QB and no ammo.
I too would be in much more favor of more "later year" picks rather than current year picks. I look at 2023 as a waste regardless so I wouldn't be upset at all if the trade compensation is a 2024 and 2025 first rounder for Rodgers. That way they can use current capital to go all in and we have time to figure out who we are before we make selections.

Of course, I would expect a higher volume of picks if we get 24 and 25 compared to 23 draft picks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

2024 and 2025 picks also allows us to do a post June 1 trade.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:14
Its been three years for Love. If he needs more grooming its time we trade HIM, or just fire the people who selected him instead of a WR.
How about the folks that didn't play him, so we might get a feel for whether he's the one, especially this year?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2023 08:40
I want the Rodgers cap hit OFF the books but doing a Post June 1 does offer flexibility so I guess that would be good. As long as they don't use the extra space in 2023 for stupid reasons it really doesn't matter.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
06 Feb 2023 08:51
Pckfn23 wrote:
I want the Rodgers cap hit OFF the books but doing a Post June 1 does offer flexibility so I guess that would be good. As long as they don't use the extra space in 2023 for stupid reasons it really doesn't matter.
It would save $15,790,000 in 2023, so that would be really useful in taking care of most of the cap overage. If it allows us to keep Aaron Jones, I am all for it!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2023 09:09
go pak go wrote:
06 Feb 2023 08:51
Pckfn23 wrote:
It would save $15,790,000 in 2023, so that would be really useful in taking care of most of the cap overage. If it allows us to keep Aaron Jones, I am all for it!
I agree. I think Aaron Jones with Love is very, very important. I don't think "taking" makes sense for us. We want to give Love a shot. So I am certainly not in the tank crowd.

I am more in the middle of keeping key players, cut the fat elsewhere and build a team for a 2024 - 2026 window (if Love is your guy)
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
06 Feb 2023 08:48
Drj820 wrote:
Its been three years for Love. If he needs more grooming its time we trade HIM, or just fire the people who selected him instead of a WR.
How about the folks that didn't play him, so we might get a feel for whether he's the one, especially this year?
this article BSA brought in another thread shows the progression of Love in the eyes of his personal coach.

who knows why Lafleur didn't rest Rodgers thumb and insert Love, probably because he felt even with the thumb Rodgers was still the best option

https://www.golongtd.com/p/he-can-be-on ... ingIn=true

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2023 09:22
Half Empty wrote:
06 Feb 2023 08:48
Drj820 wrote:
this article BSA brought in another thread shows the progression of Love in the eyes of his personal coach.

who knows why Lafleur didn't rest Rodgers thumb and insert Love, probably because he felt even with the thumb Rodgers was still the best option

https://www.golongtd.com/p/he-can-be-on ... ingIn=true
lol Loves personal coach has to say he has gotten better. If he hadnt gotten better, he should fire himself. Thats propaganda.