New York Jets and Trade Compensation

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:10
Drj820 wrote:
07 Feb 2023 09:39
I think its quite simple...Rodgers insisted he was going to play through it...and so the coaches decided he was going to play through it.
Agreed 100%

Which is kind of my point. If we are to excuse Rodgers' poor play due to his thumb, we need to also hold him accountable for being determined to play through it.

I know we have a reverence for playing through pain in sports and society at large and I get it. But as a Trojans fan, watching John David Booty throw 4 picks to Stanford with a broken pinky leading to an upset loss that cost the team a championship shot that year while two 5 star recruits sat on the bench, I have long held that QBs with broken bones in their throwing hand need to be forced to the bench.

So blame MLF, blame Rodger, blame both, personally. But I can't just say "well he had a broken thumb so of course he played poorly" without also recognizing that playing through the broken thumb likely cost us at least 1-2 wins.
I agree...somewhat.

Rodgers wanted to play...so no matter his condition..he should be judged for how he played.

But also, Rodgers is not the HC. Lafleur is, and he has a responsibility to set the team up for success. He should be judged for bowing to 12 and not doing what was best for the team in that time period.

Unless of course, an injured Rodgers is really better Love
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:20
I agree...somewhat.

Rodgers wanted to play...so no matter his condition..he should be judged for how he played.

But also, Rodgers is not the HC. Lafleur is, and he has a responsibility to set the team up for success. He should be judged for bowing to 12 and not doing what was best for the team in that time period.

Honestly, that sounds like 100% agreement. I literally said blame, MLF, Rodgers, or both (and indicated that I personally blame both).

The disagreement here is that you can't make a determination on a counterfactual with certainty. In order to know if he would have been better, you had to play him. But had you played him, we wouldn't know with certainty that Rodgers would go 0-4. The point was to find out more about Love while Rodgers' injury was a detriment to the team.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:24
Drj820 wrote:
I agree...somewhat.

Honestly, that sounds like 100% agreement. I literally said blame, MLF, Rodgers, or both (and indicated that I personally blame both).

The disagreement here is that you can't make a determination on a counterfactual with certainty. In order to know if he would have been better, you had to play him. But had you played him, we wouldn't know with certainty that Rodgers would go 0-4. The point was to find out more about Love while Rodgers' injury was a detriment to the team.
Sounds good I agree

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:10
Drj820 wrote:
I think its quite simple...Rodgers insisted he was going to play through it...and so the coaches decided he was going to play through it.
Agreed 100%

Which is kind of my point. If we are to excuse Rodgers' poor play due to his thumb, we need to also hold him accountable for being determined to play through it.

I know we have a reverence for playing through pain in sports and society at large and I get it. But as a Trojans fan, watching John David Booty throw 4 picks to Stanford with a broken pinky leading to an upset loss that cost the team a championship shot that year while two 5 star recruits sat on the bench, I have long held that QBs with broken bones in their throwing hand need to be forced to the bench.

So blame MLF, blame Rodger, blame both, personally. But I can't just say "well he had a broken thumb so of course he played poorly" without also recognizing that playing through the broken thumb likely cost us at least 1-2 wins.
I agree...somewhat.

I still think yanking Rodgers and throwing in love against untamed ravenous creatures might have played into the reasoning, a little :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
Labrev wrote:
07 Feb 2023 09:19
Pugger wrote:
07 Feb 2023 08:34
This is interesting. Why did MLF stick with AR instead of going with Love after Rodgers hurt his thumb. Evidently at the time the coaching staff felt we had a better chance at winning with a limited Rodgers over a healthy Love. In retrospect that might have been a mistake but we aren't there every day at practice so we really can't say for sure.
Normally I defer to the coaches for having more behind-the-scenes information than me and way higher football IQ than I will ever have.

But this coaching staff has a well-documented deficiency in who they choose to play and (by extension) limit/sit:

Lane Taylor over Elgton Jenkins, Billy Turner at LT over Yosh Nijman in the SF playoff game (Nijman having played well against them earlier in the year), Royce Newman and Jake Hanson over Zach Tom, Amari Rodgers over Keisean Nixon, Dean Lowry over TJ Slaton...

I am going to chalk up playing thumbless Rodgers over Love as another error, not them knowing better. In truth I think there is adequate evidence of that from how Love played in relief in Philly.
Yup. Rodgers REALLY prides himself in toughing it out. He replaced the Iron Man so he wants to be viewed that as well. How do I know this?

Because he talked about how important it is to earn the respect of his teammates while playing through injury every time he was injured (which is actually a LOT)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:35
Drj820 wrote:
Labrev wrote:
07 Feb 2023 09:19

Normally I defer to the coaches for having more behind-the-scenes information than me and way higher football IQ than I will ever have.

But this coaching staff has a well-documented deficiency in who they choose to play and (by extension) limit/sit:

Lane Taylor over Elgton Jenkins, Billy Turner at LT over Yosh Nijman in the SF playoff game (Nijman having played well against them earlier in the year), Royce Newman and Jake Hanson over Zach Tom, Amari Rodgers over Keisean Nixon, Dean Lowry over TJ Slaton...

I am going to chalk up playing thumbless Rodgers over Love as another error, not them knowing better. In truth I think there is adequate evidence of that from how Love played in relief in Philly.
Yup. Rodgers REALLY prides himself in toughing it out. He replaced the Iron Man so he wants to be viewed that as well. How do I know this?

Because he talked about how important it is to earn the respect of his teammates while playing through injury every time he was injured (which is actually a LOT)
I am sure being an actual football player and being tough is a real piece of it…but I also think he didn’t want to sit for a 3-4 game stretch and then lose all leverage during that stretch if Love came in and lit it up.

He knows he’s at the age/situation where he can absolutely lose his job (for next season) to injury

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:38
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I am sure being an actual football player and being tough is a real piece of it…but I also think he didn’t want to sit for a 3-4 game stretch and then lose all leverage during that stretch if Love came in and lit it up.

He knows he’s at the age/situation where he can absolutely lose his job (for next season) to injury
I'm really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because if your theory is correct, and I think there is a good chance it is, that would be a very bad look for him and also again show it's me before team.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
07 Feb 2023 11:31
Drj820 wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:38
go pak go wrote:

I'm really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because if your theory is correct, and I think there is a good chance it is, that would be a very bad look for him and also again show it's me before team.
To be fair Im sure its all of it...

Like im sure he wanted to be tough

Im sure in the back of his mind he didnt want to lose leverage and he wanted to keep playing, where as 5 years ago he might have just taken a game or two off

and

Im sure he still thought he was better than Love with a broke thumb and thought he was best man for the job, even with the thumb issue