Black Monday - Coaching Changes

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Flores in Miami:
image.png
image.png (39.37 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I really really like Flores' potential as a coach, both in defensive schemes (he wasn't DC in NE but he was running their D on a down-to-down basis; doing the job but with BB's weird random coaching titles and structures affecting the title).

What happened in Miami seems to be that the coach and GM were not on the same page about who the QB should be, and the coach and owner had open animosity with each other. And things did not go well. If he learns from that and becomes a better coach, then he should have a successful career. He's got the talent. But if he is poisoned by the experience and grows defiant or "anti-" then it could burn out. It could go either way.

In Minnesota, they need better CB play, period. If they get a free agent or draft pick that can make an early impact, their defense will very likely improve... can't get much worse.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
07 Feb 2023 06:30
Raptorman wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:26
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:21
Flores got screwed by Miami, the owner tried to force him to tank games for f sake, Brian refused and lost his job, hurrah for Brian, this league is losing it's integrity enough as it is, and didn't Miami have to forfeit a draft pick?

whatever, I think the Vikes are seeing talent decline, Harrison also had a low 70 grade at safety with Amos, so they will need to add some talent, Flores isn't walking into a prime situation.
Talent decline? You would be surprised what a good coach can do with the current talent on a team. Of course if you paid any attention to NFL history you would know this.
ya talent decline, it's not as though I'am the only person to mention this, every sports person is, go read.

and I simply used Harrison as a example and backed it up with his recent PFF grade, one of the very best safety's in the league years back has declined a lot the last couple seasons, as has our Amos, gesus get over your defensive attitude, and a coach is only as good as the talent level allows him to be, these are history lessons I learned before you where old enough to shave for god sakes, do you think we'd know who Vince Lombardi is if he didn't inherit a talent laden roster, sure maybe, but it took talent for Vince to be a household name, no chicken, no chicken soup.
Ah yes. The PFF grade. The gold standard when people want to make a point about the quality of a player. My defensive attitude? Really, before I was old enough? Oh do tell.

Lets see, it took talent for Vince to become a household name. Talent that another coach couldn't tap. Thank you for making my point.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
07 Feb 2023 10:24
Yoop wrote:
07 Feb 2023 06:30
Raptorman wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:26

Talent decline? You would be surprised what a good coach can do with the current talent on a team. Of course if you paid any attention to NFL history you would know this.
ya talent decline, it's not as though I'am the only person to mention this, every sports person is, go read.

and I simply used Harrison as a example and backed it up with his recent PFF grade, one of the very best safety's in the league years back has declined a lot the last couple seasons, as has our Amos, gesus get over your defensive attitude, and a coach is only as good as the talent level allows him to be, these are history lessons I learned before you where old enough to shave for god sakes, do you think we'd know who Vince Lombardi is if he didn't inherit a talent laden roster, sure maybe, but it took talent for Vince to be a household name, no chicken, no chicken soup.
Ah yes. The PFF grade. The gold standard when people want to make a point about the quality of a player. My defensive attitude? Really, before I was old enough? Oh do tell.

Lets see, it took talent for Vince to become a household name. Talent that another coach couldn't tap. Thank you for making my point.
your defense needs a talent influx, you said so yourself 6 months ago, and I'am not a pro grade guy either, but PFF isn't the only rating sight to give Smith a declining grade, he simply is not as good as he use to be.

Flores is a good coach, Lombardi was a good coach, but in order for the coach to do well they need talent,

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Steve Wilks getting the D-Coord job in SanFran

https://theathletic.com/4126345/2023/02 ... ordinator/

So yeah, they are going to be a great defense again. :| Great hire by them.

Mike Wahle, apparently still having ties to Carolina from his playing days there, was saying that everyone in their locker room wanted Wilks to get the HC job going forward.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Feb 2023 06:16
texas wrote:
07 Feb 2023 00:23
Drj820 wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:05
Brian flores is a very good defensive coach. Good hire.
Press X to doubt. He got to do a 15 year ride along with Bill Belichick. We really don't know if he is good or not.

All of these guys who are assistant coaches on the same side of the ball as their guru HCs aren't really tested. Same thing with Bieniemy and Leftwich, although in Leftwich's case we have some game tape of him being allowed to run things without Arians and it isn't pretty. So Bieniemy and Flores could be good I suppose. We'll see about it.
I’m basing my opinion of him as a defensive coach on the high praise of Bill B, Tomlin, and how good the fins D looked when he was HC.
Well like I said, we'll see about it this year. I don't think praise from Tomlin or Belichick means much because it's not like they would go out of their way to say he's just been along for the ride.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Labrev wrote:
07 Feb 2023 13:51

Mike Wahle, apparently still having ties to Carolina from his playing days there, was saying that everyone in their locker room wanted Wilks to get the HC job going forward.
Last time Wilks was a HC it was a disaster. He infamously took his squad out in 100-degree weather and heat stroke conditions to practice hard in order to "develop a callus". Admittedly I look down on him and Flores because they're playing the race card in an obscene way, but I already thought very little of him before he did that (if anything, his addition to the lawsuit made it weaker because of how poorly his previous stint went).

That being said, he didn't totally $%@# up the Carolina interim job, so he should probably get another chance at some point. I would never hire him though, both for what he did in Arizona as well as what he's doing now, suing everyone who turns him down because "they're raaaaaacist".

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

texas wrote:
07 Feb 2023 14:56
Labrev wrote:
07 Feb 2023 13:51

Last time Wilks was a HC it was a disaster. He infamously took his squad out in 100-degree weather and heat stroke conditions to practice hard in order to "develop a callus". Admittedly I look down on him and Flores because they're playing the race card in an obscene way, but I already thought very little of him before he did that (if anything, his addition to the lawsuit made it weaker because of how poorly his previous stint went).

That being said, he didn't totally $%@# up the Carolina interim job, so he should probably get another chance at some point. I would never hire him though, both for what he did in Arizona as well as what he's doing now, suing everyone who turns him down because "they're raaaaaacist".
Yeah I remember his HC stint with the Cards, didn't go too well, but he did a nice job as interim HC for them, seems like DC is a good fit.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto