Super Bowl LVII

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 14:07

Blink of an eye when running? 15 feet is about 2 strides for a world class sprinter at top speed. THAT is actual fact.
Usain Bolt runs the 100m dash in 20.5 to 21 strides (41 to 42 steps), including acceleration phase (which has shorter strides than the rest of the race). I looked it up years ago to create a test question related to stride rate and stride length, which I still include on the exam. So that is 1 stride per 5 meters, not 2 strides per 5 yards.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

wallyuwl wrote:
13 Feb 2023 16:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 14:07

Blink of an eye when running? 15 feet is about 2 strides for a world class sprinter at top speed. THAT is actual fact.
Usain Bolt runs the 100m dash in 20.5 to 21 strides (41 to 42 steps), including acceleration phase (which has shorter strides than the rest of the race). I looked it up years ago to create a test question related to stride rate and stride length, which I still include on the exam. So that is 1 stride per 5 meters, not 2 strides per 5 yards.
You are correct, I was talking steps, not strides and saying strides. That was wrong. So, 2 of his steps, right to left or left to right would be about 15 feet or 5 yards.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

ESPN just showed the penalty in detail, including zooming in. I am more convinced than ever the DB hindered the route. Both the right hand on the back, and left hand on the waist, did. You can also see JJ slow down his route at the 4 yard line once he looks back and sees the ball, realizing he won't get to it.

These are timing routes. PM is throwing to a spot based off of many practice reps. If you combine the restriction and JJ slowing down on purpose, it is easy to see how that is a possible or even likely completion without the restriction.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Any contact at the los is going to disrupt that route, so a shoulder hit and a tug of the jersey is obviously going to cost a step or two, would he have been able to get to the pitch point with clean release, I think so.

It's a bit different ( still should be called, obviously) when the receiver is already at top speed in 004's vides, a shoulder punch isn't going to have (normally) the same affect as a player going from dead stop.

I'd like to see more consistency, we all would, but I like scoring so if I had to take a side I'll support DH or PI calls, I wanted to see Mahomes convert that TD, he played a gutsy 2nd half, and deserved the MVP.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
13 Feb 2023 17:11
ESPN just showed the penalty in detail, including zooming in. I am more convinced than ever the DB hindered the route. Both the right hand on the back, and left hand on the waist, did. You can also see JJ slow down his route at the 4 yard line once he looks back and sees the ball, realizing he won't get to it.

These are timing routes. PM is throwing to a spot based off of many practice reps. If you combine the restriction and JJ slowing down on purpose, it is easy to see how that is a possible or even likely completion without the restriction.
all the conformation I need, thanks Wally :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

A shoulder punch is not illegal within 5 yards. That's press man and perfectly within the rules. DBs can be physical with the receiver within those 5 yards, just not grab or pull to hinder the receiver as Bradberry did with his right hand on the jersey.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Raptorman wrote:
13 Feb 2023 11:31
Pugger wrote:
13 Feb 2023 10:44
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 09:49

By the above I would say he did not "support the grab," nor does he "want to allow interference."
The thing I hate about these calls on the defense is the automatic first down. DBs league wide get hammered by this rule all the time all season long.
The underlying fact is that type of thing was happening all game and they didn’t call it. To call it at the end of the game in an important situation only amplifies the refs influence on the game.
Eagle fans would agree with you. But the refs are another story, including the one who commented in real time.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

wallyuwl wrote:
13 Feb 2023 17:11

And here I thought hindering the route at the LOS was acceptable. Who knew? I still don't see the hold or the slowdown on the play, no matter how many times I see it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 17:23
A shoulder punch is not illegal within 5 yards. That's press man and perfectly within the rules. DBs can be physical with the receiver within those 5 yards, just not grab or pull to hinder the receiver as Bradberry did with his right hand on the jersey.
quit playing with words, Brad berry's first move was to grab the shoulder, which is holding, then slide his hand down and grabbed the jersey, I get combative because you nit pick every word that common sense explains very nicely, I wish I could find that more frontal camera view they showed in the in game re-show, it clearly shows his right hand on the front of the shoulder pad, your vid shows the hand going to the back of the shoulder, later, and then the jersey tug.

I got a PM to quit answering you, I think thats good advice.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2023 18:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
quit playing with words, Brad berry's first move was to grab the shoulder, which is holding, then slide his hand down and grabbed the jersey, I get combative because you nit pick every word that common sense explains very nicely, I wish I could find that more frontal camera view they showed in the in game re-show, it clearly shows his right hand on the front of the shoulder pad, your vid shows the hand going to the back of the shoulder, later, and then the jersey tug.

Everything I said was factual and straight forward, no word play going on at all. Bradberry has every right as a DB to punch and be physical with the DB within those 5 yards. He can punch the shoulder. He can push the receiver around. He can place his right hand on the receivers shoulder, front or back. What he can't do is grab and pull. There is even a drill where DBs wear boxing gloves to try and break them of the grabbing and pulling habit. There is no nitpicking involved either, just to the point facts of the play and the rules.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wisconsin has been represented in every super bowl.

Although I could only think of Chenal and Edwards. Not sure who the other two are without looking it up.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
14 Feb 2023 07:11

Wisconsin has been represented in every super bowl.

Although I could only think of Chenal and Edwards. Not sure who the other two are without looking it up.

Chiefs apparently had Melvin Gordon on the team, dunno if he was on the 53 or PS.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Oh, posted this from my phone and it was tiny, thought I saw 2 W's on philly.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

more views of the Bradberry hold on Shuster, it wasn't one hold it was 3 attempts to grab Shuster, and all 3 affected his release, if that where legal everyone would play press man and just mug the receivers, great call ref.

Mod edit: post moved from the Jordan Love thread. Pls keep your discussion points on topic and in the appropriate thread.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Kinda wild....

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
14 Feb 2023 21:11
Kinda wild....

He did make the play of the game... for the other team.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

In 2019 I went to the Baylor-OU game when Hurts was their QB. We were up a bunch at halftime, just totally dominating them. Then in the 2nd half our defense just couldn't stop them from moving the chains on a few long drives, and when our offense did get a chance to take the field in between OU drives, we'd immediately go 3 and out. So pretty much what happened to the Eagles.

So I would like to think that KC BU player feels like he finally got some payback in the same way Hurts dished it out to us.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
14 Feb 2023 07:11
Not sure who the other two are without looking it up.
Melvin Gordon. I don't believe he played a snap. I don't think he was even active.

Read More. Post Less.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 18:52
Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2023 18:30
Pckfn23 wrote:

Everything I said was factual and straight forward, no word play going on at all. Bradberry has every right as a DB to punch and be physical with the DB within those 5 yards. He can punch the shoulder. He can push the receiver around. He can place his right hand on the receivers shoulder, front or back. What he can't do is grab and pull. There is even a drill where DBs wear boxing gloves to try and break them of the grabbing and pulling habit. There is no nitpicking involved either, just to the point facts of the play and the rules.
Someone on another Forum mentioned that defensive holding isn't supposed to be called within 5 yards of the LOS. Every hear of that?
This is all I could find, nothing from the NFL itself.
The 'Safe Zone'
Defensive holding cannot be called within five yards of the line of scrimmage.
This "safe zone" allows defenders to make contact with offensive players.
Any infraction outside of this zone, however, results in a penalty.
Defensive holding typically occurs when defenders try to keep up with a receiver running downfield.
https://footballadvantage.com/holding-i ... %20penalty.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Comments?
330280184_587645479928660_7761465938507324908_n.jpg
330280184_587645479928660_7761465938507324908_n.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 347 times