Super Bowl LVII

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

texas wrote:
14 Feb 2023 22:06
In 2019 I went to the Baylor-OU game when Hurts was their QB. We were up a bunch at halftime, just totally dominating them. Then in the 2nd half our defense just couldn't stop them from moving the chains on a few long drives, and when our offense did get a chance to take the field in between OU drives, we'd immediately go 3 and out. So pretty much what happened to the Eagles.

So I would like to think that KC BU player feels like he finally got some payback in the same way Hurts dished it out to us.
I think the Eagles would be dumb to feel wedded to Hurts. If they were to offer him some gigantic contract out of fear that he might leave, it would be a bad move IMO. He is good but had an extremely talented supporting cast. I don't think he brings anything that is exceptionally difficult to replace. That being said, if you can keep him for a bargain, then keep him. Just my opinion.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
15 Feb 2023 14:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 18:52
Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2023 18:30

quit playing with words, Brad berry's first move was to grab the shoulder, which is holding, then slide his hand down and grabbed the jersey, I get combative because you nit pick every word that common sense explains very nicely, I wish I could find that more frontal camera view they showed in the in game re-show, it clearly shows his right hand on the front of the shoulder pad, your vid shows the hand going to the back of the shoulder, later, and then the jersey tug.

I got a PM to quit answering you, I think thats good advice.
Everything I said was factual and straight forward, no word play going on at all. Bradberry has every right as a DB to punch and be physical with the DB within those 5 yards. He can punch the shoulder. He can push the receiver around. He can place his right hand on the receivers shoulder, front or back. What he can't do is grab and pull. There is even a drill where DBs wear boxing gloves to try and break them of the grabbing and pulling habit. There is no nitpicking involved either, just to the point facts of the play and the rules.
Someone on another Forum mentioned that defensive holding isn't supposed to be called within 5 yards of the LOS. Every hear of that?
This is all I could find, nothing from the NFL itself.
The 'Safe Zone'
Defensive holding cannot be called within five yards of the line of scrimmage.
This "safe zone" allows defenders to make contact with offensive players.
Any infraction outside of this zone, however, results in a penalty.
Defensive holding typically occurs when defenders try to keep up with a receiver running downfield.
https://footballadvantage.com/holding-i ... %20penalty.
wrong, holding isn't allowed any where, and there are views available that show the defender grab a part of jersey 3 times Raptor...a good explanation was made, if it where allowed then all DC would do is play press and hold on every pass play.

I think more contact was allowed years ago in the run first era, it led to less passing and more running which is what teams wanted, what that amounted to was BORING run, run run and a cloud of dust, football didn't gain popularity nation wide like it is today till the live ball era.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
15 Feb 2023 14:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 18:52
Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2023 18:30

quit playing with words, Brad berry's first move was to grab the shoulder, which is holding, then slide his hand down and grabbed the jersey, I get combative because you nit pick every word that common sense explains very nicely, I wish I could find that more frontal camera view they showed in the in game re-show, it clearly shows his right hand on the front of the shoulder pad, your vid shows the hand going to the back of the shoulder, later, and then the jersey tug.

I got a PM to quit answering you, I think thats good advice.
Everything I said was factual and straight forward, no word play going on at all. Bradberry has every right as a DB to punch and be physical with the DB within those 5 yards. He can punch the shoulder. He can push the receiver around. He can place his right hand on the receivers shoulder, front or back. What he can't do is grab and pull. There is even a drill where DBs wear boxing gloves to try and break them of the grabbing and pulling habit. There is no nitpicking involved either, just to the point facts of the play and the rules.
Someone on another Forum mentioned that defensive holding isn't supposed to be called within 5 yards of the LOS. Every hear of that?
This is all I could find, nothing from the NFL itself.
The 'Safe Zone'
Defensive holding cannot be called within five yards of the line of scrimmage.
This "safe zone" allows defenders to make contact with offensive players.
Any infraction outside of this zone, however, results in a penalty.
Defensive holding typically occurs when defenders try to keep up with a receiver running downfield.
https://footballadvantage.com/holding-i ... %20penalty.
Illegal Contact can't be called within 5 yards of the LoS. Defensive holding is different and what we saw in that play.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2023 14:58
there are views available that show the defender grab a part of jersey 3 times
Can you provide these views? This keeps getting brought up from 2 to now 3 times, but these views are never provided, however the views that are provided don't show this. They show press coverage with 1 jersey pull, which is defensive holding by the letter of the rulebook.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Feb 2023 15:05
Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2023 14:58
there are views available that show the defender grab a part of jersey 3 times
Can you provide these views? This keeps getting brought up from 2 to now 3 times, but these views are never provided, however the views that are provided don't show this. They show press coverage with 1 jersey pull, which is defensive holding by the letter of the rulebook.
the ones from ESPN do, same with yahoo, and I'am not going to waste my life away trying to find or bring it, the first grab as I said was the front of the r shoulder pad, it slide to the back of that shoulder and the left I'am pretty sure from memory grabbed the jersey.

I have to many things going on to go looking now away.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2023 15:22
the first grab as I said was the front of the r shoulder pad,
I have not seen a replay that shows this.
it slide to the back of that shoulder and the left I'am pretty sure from memory grabbed the jersey.
Touching the receiver does not constitute holding.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

The DB held twice: 1. Right hand on the back, 2. Left hand on the hip.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Raptorman wrote:
15 Feb 2023 14:34
Comments?

330280184_587645479928660_7761465938507324908_n.jpg
Packers vs. Cardinals in overtime of the 2009 playoffs is the first thing that pops into my head
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Feb 2023 15:33
Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2023 15:22
the first grab as I said was the front of the r shoulder pad,
I have not seen a replay that shows this.
it slide to the back of that shoulder and the left I'am pretty sure from memory grabbed the jersey.
Touching the receiver does not constitute holding.
well thats why a shoulder grab doesn't get called unless very flagrant, however I think we both know that if i put a hand on a side of the shoulder and your cut is in the opposite direction it will slow that cut, which is the reason for doing it the same as grabbing the jersey which again the one view does show.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I don't see a left hand hold in there, at all...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Feb 2023 16:16
The DB held twice: 1. Right hand on the back, 2. Left hand on the hip.
rarely though is the hand on the hip called unless the jersey is grabbed after the 5 yrd rule, it's the only way for the DB to have any chance to stay close to the receiver, if possible I always slid my hand under the jersey and grabbed the belt top of the pants, harder for the ref to see :lol:

hooking the off side breaking shoulder was textbook in my day, and we see that regularly today to, just never called, anything that a DB can do to slow the break is tried, basically that was the comment from Bradberry "he new he was guilty, and simply hoped the ref didn't see it, and usually they don't.

most fans don't care, unless it's happening to one of there fav teams players, then omg the knives come out :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Feb 2023 16:25

now tell me ya didn't see the grab of that right shoulder, true he didn't grab/or hold it long, but it stiil p0rovides the desired affect of slowing down that break.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2023 16:41
Pckfn23 wrote:

now tell me ya didn't see the grab of that right shoulder, true he didn't grab/or hold it long, but it stiil p0rovides the desired affect of slowing down that break.
I don't see a hand contact the receivers right shoulder at all. Even if it did to the extent you say, that is not holding, that is simply press man, which is allowed within 5 yards. The defender can impede the route, without holding, in that zone. If you are talking the body check to the right shoulder, that is perfectly legal.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Captain_Ben wrote:
15 Feb 2023 14:53
texas wrote:
14 Feb 2023 22:06
In 2019 I went to the Baylor-OU game when Hurts was their QB. We were up a bunch at halftime, just totally dominating them. Then in the 2nd half our defense just couldn't stop them from moving the chains on a few long drives, and when our offense did get a chance to take the field in between OU drives, we'd immediately go 3 and out. So pretty much what happened to the Eagles.

So I would like to think that KC BU player feels like he finally got some payback in the same way Hurts dished it out to us.
I think the Eagles would be dumb to feel wedded to Hurts. If they were to offer him some gigantic contract out of fear that he might leave, it would be a bad move IMO. He is good but had an extremely talented supporting cast. I don't think he brings anything that is exceptionally difficult to replace. That being said, if you can keep him for a bargain, then keep him. Just my opinion.
Yeah I agree, although I have always been a Hurts hater and he has always proven me wrong, so I am no longer going to bet against him.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Feb 2023 16:46
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I don't see a hand contact the receivers right shoulder at all. Even if it did to the extent you say, that is not holding, that is simply press man, which is allowed within 5 yards. The defender can impede the route, without holding, in that zone. If you are talking the body check to the right shoulder, that is perfectly legal.
right they don't call it, but it happens as soon as Shuster breaks the other way, come on, we both know that if i put a hand on your shoulder in the process of you breaking in the opposite direction it will affect you, has to, that refs allow it is besides the point, obviously it would be called a lot more and it is discretionary, so they limit it to more obvious shirt holding.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2023 17:01
Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Feb 2023 16:46
Yoop wrote:

right they don't call it, but it happens as soon as Shuster breaks the other way, come on, we both know that if i put a hand on your shoulder in the process of you breaking in the opposite direction it will affect you, has to, that refs allow it is besides the point, obviously it would be called a lot more and it is discretionary, so they limit it to more obvious shirt holding.
That's the pull on the jersey that got called...

Yes, a DB can put a hand on the receivers shoulder and affect his route... Within 5 yards. That is perfectly legal. That is exactly what press man is. In all other levels of football it is perfectly legal anywhere on the field unless the ball is in the air.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2023 17:20

hell Brandon you wont even agree that if I put a hand on your shoulder when your in the process of changing direction that it wont slow you down, when we both know without a doubt that it would, that refs don't call it doesn't change that.
I never said a hand on the shoulder won't slow down the receiver. That is exactly what it is meant to do and within 5 yards that is perfectly legal. Why do you believe there is a 5 yard legal contact rule?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Feb 2023 17:45
Yoop wrote:

hell Brandon you wont even agree that if I put a hand on your shoulder when your in the process of changing direction that it wont slow you down, when we both know without a doubt that it would, that refs don't call it doesn't change that.
I never said a hand on the shoulder won't slow down the receiver. That is exactly what it is meant to do and within 5 yards that is perfectly legal. Why do you believe there is a 5 yard legal contact rule?
Why do people argue something that is perfectly legal to do and is done all the time all year? You can press, contact, push, and impede a WR within 5 yards of the LOS. This is not that difficult to understand, The fact that it isn't done more baffles me. Particularly if you have a good D-line that can get to the QB in around 4 seconds. I know the fear is that once pressed, the WR might get around them and get open.

Crap, there I go again. Agreeing with you. :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
16 Feb 2023 10:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Why do people argue something that is perfectly legal to do and is done all the time all year? You can press, contact, push, and impede a WR within 5 yards of the LOS. This is not that difficult to understand, The fact that it isn't done more baffles me. Particularly if you have a good D-line that can get to the QB in around 4 seconds. I know the fear is that once pressed, the WR might get around them and get open.

What's happening?! I don't think I have ever agreed with your posts more than this one! :beer2:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
16 Feb 2023 10:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

the legality of a shoulder grab, a punch, or a hand on as long as it doesn't amount to actually holding has never been the issue, rather that it does impede the receiver just as much as holding the jersey does in many cases.

heres more, obviously your not allowed to keep hammering a WR in that 5 yrds, maybe you two should go read up on this stuff.

What is illegal contact within 5 yards?
The only time you can have illegal contact within five yards is if the defender chucks the receiver in the back or a second chuck. One defender can't chuck a receiver at two yards, separate, and chuck him again at four yards, because that would also be illegal contact.

https://www.rookieroad.com/football/rul ... -bump-rule

again when Bradberry grabbed the front of the shoulder Shuster was already even if not actually in front of Bradberry, which constitutes a PI call

you've been so concerned with claiming the legality of grabbing the shoulder or any other contact that you over look the nuances of the rules concerning contact in the first 5 yrds