2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Did a mock draft using the PFF sim. 'Sent Rodgers to LV for a 2nd-round pick (and 2024 Round 1).

1.) Broderick Jones - OL, Georgia... powerful and a *dawg* on the OL; time to stop getting out-physical'd on the 'line (others that were there: T P. Johnson, WR J. Addison, CB J. Porter Jr., WR JSN, RB B. Robinson but I pretended he wasn't).

**traded back our 2nd for an additional 3rd**

2a.) Felix Anudike-Uzome - EDGE, Kansas Stats... he's got the skill and traits to give us some pass-rush right away
2b.) Sam LaPorta - TE, TE-U... let's hope our Round 2 magic on receivers can solve our TE problem
3a.) DeWayne McBride - RB, UAB... "Feldman freak" with value on all three downs
3b.) Parker Washington - WR, PSU... a YAC monster to compete in the receiver room

4.) Zach Harrison - EDGE, tOSU... a guy with great size/traits but needs to learn to play like Rashan Gary, where better than here?
5a.) Jake Haener - QB, Fresno State... didn't love anything on the list, let's get a fiercely competitive QB
5b.) Josh Wylier - TE, Cincy... shot-in-the-dark
7.) five picks: QB, T, WR, S, TE in that order.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Feb 2023 17:23
I’ve been pondering today about which positions of need are greatest for the Packers. I come up with Safety, Edge, DLine, and WR/TE in that order. Unless we pick up a FA to fit those needs or do a trade, we need to draft there. The need is too great in each. And we still fit OLine into that equation too. Hey, and if we trade Rodgers, we’d likely trade a developmental QB too! At least we’d probably have an additional draft pick for that situation.

Kinda concerning to me that it seems we have a big need on all three levels of the D. As much as I would love to draft a WR in first two rounds again, maybe it isn’t the best choice, unless one jumps off the board or if we do trade Rodgers and pick up a rd1 or rd2 pick.
Huh. I think TE is a bigger need than DT. I know we may need help (depending on if we re-sign Reed), but Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Reed, and rotational guys is totally doable. At TE, Tonyan and Lewis are free agents, and no one else on the team is a starter quality.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Click for entire thread
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
15 Feb 2023 21:03

I'm a big fan of Sam LaPorta in the 2nd. Didn't even read the 3rd rounders because simple correlation study told me BUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSTTTTTTT.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Feb 2023 09:37
Labrev wrote:

I'm a big fan of Sam LaPorta in the 2nd. Didn't even read the 3rd rounders because simple correlation study told me BUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSTTTTTTT.
Honestly thought the same. :lol:

Why would you not turn those two 3rds into three or four 4ths? :beer2: Would you rather have 2 bad players, or 4 HOF'ers?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not at all surprised to see Downs and Flowers both on here, frankly probably would have predicted solely those two of the ~5-7 guys would make that list.

Initially thought that clip was actually a horrible highlight getting off the press, then I finally realized he's doing a fake screen block. :lol:

Also, I have no clue what that X receiver is doing. Looks like a TE maybe, he was supposed to fake block too and run a dig route underneath Downs? Horrible execution if so, looked either lazy or like he wasn't sure the playcall. I'd probably have sent them block straight up field after their fake blocks.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2023 11:25
Not at all surprised to see Downs and Flowers both on here, frankly probably would have predicted solely those two of the ~5-7 guys would make that list.
It's interesting to see your takeaways. "Hey, a list where the two guys I already in the 1st round like rank 1st and 5th!" Rather than "I wonder if the guys who rank 2nd and 3rd and will be available in rounds 3-4 might create bargain-valued alternatives!"

Jayden Reed, especially scorched the guys at the Senior Bowl. He looks real, he returns punts, and he's a contested catch guy despite his size? Great!. I need to look more into Parker Washington. He's a pet favorite of some draft guy I don't really trust, but I like his dimensions (that thicker, almost RB-like build for a slot receiver) if he can show some explosiveness at the combine, he'll increase in my eyes.

I'm not going to talk about Tank Dell because no amount of buzz from the Senior Bowl drills can make me forgive 160 pounds. This guy is like Dri Archer and TuTu Atwell all over again.

I'm also a big Puka Nacua fan, pending workout numbers.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2023 10:34
go pak go wrote:
16 Feb 2023 09:37
Labrev wrote:

**snip**

Honestly thought the same. :lol:

Why would you not turn those two 3rds into three or four 4ths? :beer2: Would you rather have 2 bad players, or 4 HOF'ers?

Oh believe me, I was thinking it while doing the sim. :P

So I tried to target guys there that seemed as bust-proof as possible. McBride (the RB) looks like a do-it-all stud. The WR, Parker Washington, a bit more risky, but had some enticing skills that sound like they could translate very nicely as a slot receiver.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
16 Feb 2023 11:44
McBride (the RB) looks like a do-it-all stud
I literally just discovered him yesterday (before seeing your post) and was impressed as well.

PFF's sleepers article:
RB DEWAYNE MCBRIDE, UAB
McBride is going to end up a top-five running back on the PFF draft board simply for the creativity he runs with. He may not be the biggest, fastest or most impressive athlete, but he consistently finds ways to contort his body to avoid tackles and fit through tight creases. For his career at UAB, McBride averaged 7.2 yards per carry with 175 broken tackles on 484 attempts. At 5-foot-11 and 215 pounds, McBride has the size to translate to the NFL game, as well.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 16 Feb 2023 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Feb 2023 11:31
BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2023 11:25
It's interesting to see your takeaways. "Hey, a list where the two guys I already in the 1st round like rank 1st and 5th!" Rather than "I wonder if the guys who rank 2nd and 3rd and will be available in rounds 3-4 might create bargain-valued alternatives!"

Jayden Reed, especially scorched the guys at the Senior Bowl. He looks real, he returns punts, and he's a contested catch guy despite his size? Great!. I need to look more into Parker Washington. He's a pet favorite of some draft guy I don't really trust, but I like his dimensions (that thicker, almost RB-like build for a slot receiver) if he can show some explosiveness at the combine, he'll increase in my eyes.

I'm not going to talk about Tank Dell because no amount of buzz from the Senior Bowl drills can make me forgive 160 pounds. This guy is like Dri Archer and TuTu Atwell all over again.

I'm also a big Puka Nacua fan, pending workout numbers.
Oh, that is a big take away, to go look at the other 8 guys a lot more. I just love Downs and Flowers. And given their sizes, really need to convince myself they have literally have everything you need to more and make up for that.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Feb 2023 21:23
Scott4Pack wrote:
I’ve been pondering today about which positions of need are greatest for the Packers. I come up with Safety, Edge, DLine, and WR/TE in that order. Unless we pick up a FA to fit those needs or do a trade, we need to draft there. The need is too great in each. And we still fit OLine into that equation too. Hey, and if we trade Rodgers, we’d likely trade a developmental QB too! At least we’d probably have an additional draft pick for that situation.

Kinda concerning to me that it seems we have a big need on all three levels of the D. As much as I would love to draft a WR in first two rounds again, maybe it isn’t the best choice, unless one jumps off the board or if we do trade Rodgers and pick up a rd1 or rd2 pick.
Huh. I think TE is a bigger need than DT. I know we may need help (depending on if we re-sign Reed), but Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Reed, and rotational guys is totally doable. At TE, Tonyan and Lewis are free agents, and no one else on the team is a starter quality.
You might be right. But since I doubt we will land both a TE and a WR in the draft, I look at the draftable need as a TE/WR. I’m not saying we should get a TE who can split out wide. Just get one or the other.

I think that drafting two (any combination of a WR and a TE) puts us at risk of losing a player at a different position, such as DLine.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Feb 2023 12:23
I think that drafting two (any combination of a WR and a TE) puts us at risk of losing a player at a different position, such as DLine.
for 2023, the Packers currently have 11 picks and despite drafting at # 15, they have the 11th most draft capital out of 32 teams
See below. I think GB can afford drafting both a WR and a TE

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

On the TE side, it depends on what skills you're drafting for. An all around talent will require a top pick -and you can question whether such a player exists, is in the Packers draft range and if you're willing to make that investment in a non-premium position.
But if you're looking for more of a blocking TE to take over for Big Dog - that's probably a 3-5th rounder and wouldn't leave you short elsewhere. Deguara has the move TE position covered. So a top pick to replace Tonyan and/or a mid- rounder to replace Big Dog.
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

You might be right. But since I doubt we will land both a TE and a WR in the draft, I look at the draftable need as a TE/WR. I’m not saying we should get a TE who can split out wide. Just get one or the other.

I think Deguara is the only TE under contract currently at TE, who has played an NFL snap.

I think Tyler Davis might be an ERFA and very cheap to to bring back.

But one way or the other, we need some TE bodies. Multiple.

Similarly, only Watson, Doubs and Toure presently under contract.

I’d say we need 4 more guys at WR and TE, assuming Davis is back.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2023 12:54
under contract.
I just looked it up was surprised to see Tyler Davis is an RFA in 2023.
The lowest RFA tag is " Right of 1st Refusal" at $ 2.6 M for the year and that's kinda rich for Davis
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2023 12:54
Scott4Pack wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I think Deguara is the only TE under contract currently at TE, who has played an NFL snap.

I think Tyler Davis might be an ERFA and very cheap to to bring back.

But one way or the other, we need some TE bodies. Multiple.

Similarly, only Watson, Doubs and Toure presently under contract.

I’d say we need 4 more guys at WR and TE, assuming Davis is back.
whole heartedly agree, we need another inline TE, Dequara isn't half the blocker Lewis is, so that will be a need, we run now to much to allow what Lewis brings to go un replaced, and we either have to resign Tonyan and hope he returns to his ability in 2020, or replace that ability with a draft pick, and this draft has both types of TE's might as well take advantage.

your speed chart shows the need for another fast receiver, Id use another high pick there, if it aint cocked and loaded, the gun don't shoot :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
16 Feb 2023 13:53
Dequara isn't half the blocker Lewis is
He isn't even truly a TE, so I hate lumping him in that group. The cupboard is truly bare and even though Deguara can do some nice things for you, very few of those things is what one would expect from a high-end inline TE.

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
16 Feb 2023 14:20
He isn't even truly a TE, so I hate lumping him in that group. The cupboard is truly bare and even though Deguara can do some nice things for you, very few of those things is what one would expect from a high-end inline TE.
Agreed.
2 completely different positions and they aren't interchangeable. Being a Move TE is a really tough assignment - because everybody you're blocking is in open space, moving, and can go in several directions. And the guy you're blocking has vision to the ball carrier, while you do not.
Deguara is really good at it - MLF and Steno count on him in so many ways. But he's highly under-rated by most Packer fans because they don't comprehend his role - and as you noted - the TE moniker isn't a great fit

Lewis on the other hand is inline, not in space. He knows exactly where his defender is going to be and relies on strength, technique and veteran guile to get the job done. I'd love to draft an inline guy and give him a year with Big Dog. Its an important position, maybe even more so if Lazard is gone.
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

heres a little something about it.

There are a lot of things about this 2022 Green Bay Packers season that hasn’t played out how I originally expected. One of the less-talked-about items is the playing time for Josiah Deguara.

After suffering an ACL injury early on in 2020, last season was essentially Deguara’s rookie season from a playing time perspective. There were times when we saw him getting chewed out by Aaron Rodgers, whether that be for dropping a pass, running the wrong route, or not being aligned correctly, but when thrust into a larger role following Robert Tonyan’s injury, we saw Deguara making strides as the year went on.

From Weeks 11 through 15 of last season, Deguara took more slot snaps and caught 10 of 14 passes for 110 yards and a touchdown. He also displayed some playmaking abilities with the ball in his hands, ranking 13th in total yards after the catch (YAC) among tight ends during that span, along with being sixth in average YAC, according to PFF ($$).

This year, however, Deguara hasn’t seen much playing time. And considering that Tonyan is back, a decrease in snaps isn’t surprising, but him being on the field for only 15% of Green Bay’s offensive snaps and behind Tyler Davis is.

In five of the Packers’ seven games this season, Deguara has been on the field for fewer than 10 snaps. In his limited playing time, Deguara has caught five of six passes at 11.2 yards per catch.

As an H-back more so than a tight end, Deguara brings a different skill set to this offense than Tonyan, Davis, and Marcedes Lewis. Green Bay is able to line him up all over the formation, including in the backfield, send him in motion, and he’s someone who can affect the run game as a blocker, along with the passing game.

A staple of the LaFleur offense is achieving what Matt calls the “illusion of complexity,” which essentially means keeping the defense off balance, whether that be through running the same play from a variety of personnel or different plays that look alike initially.

Either way, a player like Deguara can help accomplish that with his versatility. There’s a reason following Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft, LaFleur told reporters, “I love Josiah.”

As far as why Deguara hasn’t seen more playing time in Year 3 with the Packers, well, that’s the million-dollar question.
It’s very common for tight ends to take two or even three years to fully develop in the NFL, given the complexity of their role. Tight ends essentially have to know the entire offense, as they are expected to block like linemen and make plays like receivers. So the fact that Deguara hasn’t broken out yet isn’t an oddity–it’s actually more common than not.

Perhaps those past issues still plague him in practice, and the trust with Aaron Rodgers and LaFleur just isn’t there. Or maybe he’s not as good of a blocker as Davis, which is why he has earned more playing time. Or, for some reason, perhaps this role has simply been reduced.

Not that Deguara is San Francisco’s Kyle Jusczyk, but many anticipated him filling that very important do-it-all role in LaFleur’s system. However, that hasn’t been the case whatsoever.

With that said, for an offense struggling to find its way, why not try something different? And by different, I mean utilizing a key position within this scheme.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
16 Feb 2023 12:49
Scott4Pack wrote:
for 2023, the Packers currently have 11 picks and despite drafting at # 15, they have the 11th most draft capital out of 32 teams
See below. I think GB can afford drafting both a WR and a TE
I actually think TE is a great candidate for the "Packers fix a position by drafting 3 guys and see how it shakes out" approach. The TE class is SUPER deep this year. Take one early, take one in the middle, take one late. Get someone who has Tonyan's skillset (pass catcher with some blocking ability; Lewis' skillset (in-line blocker with some passing ability). Take 'em all. Safety and TE are the only positions on the team that are truly baren. We have possibilities, stop-gaps, developmental players basically everywhere else (which are like "can/should be upgraded but not NEED needs. TE and Safety are NEED needs

TE is a little stronger at the top than safety and EDGE, but honestly I like so many players at various draft values throughout the draft at all three positions that it's hard for me to fall in love with any one.

I'm hoping that we get 2 top 100 picks for Rodgers, which isn't worth discussing in the draft thread until it happens. But if we do, and we have 6 picks in the top 115? Easy to get a TE, a WR, a DT, an EDGE, and a safety... then double down on some of those positions on day 3 (probably another 6 picks in rounds 4 through 7).

Also a deep RB class and we could look for RB3 late on day 3. I love this kid from ASU who lit up the Shrine Game but he was a combine snub so I'll have to wait for his numbers. Xavien Valladay or something? Struck me as a teensy bit Aaron Jonesish, but Jones stood out at the combine for being top 5 among RBs in every workout category accept 40-time. So a shame to miss that.