Aaron Jones to Return To Green Bay in 23

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
17 Feb 2023 11:20
you didn't want to resign him in the first place, and he made a fool out of you and everyone that took your position,
Still baffled how this can be your interpretation of reality from that interaction.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pretty sure I read somewhere Aaron Jones is on track to break a Packers record in 2023. Let's hope he stays healthy and strong. Go Packers !

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

NCF wrote:
17 Feb 2023 07:29
Starting to make the case for best RB in Packers history and one of the most likable human beings, as well.
Yep, quickly becoming one of my favorite Packers ever.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 14:35
Yoop wrote:
you didn't want to resign him in the first place, and he made a fool out of you and everyone that took your position,
Still baffled how this can be your interpretation of reality from that interaction.
re read his post, it's pretty inflammatory in it's own self, I'am not some stupid fan, and our GM, like me, is willing to pay for a a player who has produced so well.

Lupe didn't want to resign him a couple years back, period, most wanted to resign him IF the contract was a bargain, some of us, including myself figured it would be a fair deal and we had no hesitation, so forgive me for blowing the horn for the very few of us who gave Brian a blank check, and have never had to regret our decision :idea:

there was a article out recently that does a injustice to RB's it targets the few cheap RB's who play for a PO team, and how paying to much for a RB is a waste of cap money, well possibly there is some truth to that, however our track record suggest we only got away with that once, and we had 3 PB type receivers to do it.

we have achieved a pretty close balance of run/pass, actually our RB's produce over a 1/3 of our offense, and Jones the largest share, and he'll be doing that cheaper then RB's that produce less, so I disagree with Lupe or anyone that thinks RB's don't earn 10 mil annual.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
17 Feb 2023 18:57
BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 14:35
Yoop wrote:
re read his post, it's pretty inflammatory in it's own self, I'am not some stupid fan, and our GM, like me, is willing to pay for a a player who has produced so well.

Lupe didn't want to resign him a couple years back, period, most wanted to resign him IF the contract was a bargain, some of us, including myself figured it would be a fair deal and we had no hesitation, so forgive me for blowing the horn for the very few of us who gave Brian a blank check, and have never had to regret our decision :idea:

there was a article out recently that does a injustice to RB's it targets the few cheap RB's who play for a PO team, and how paying to much for a RB is a waste of cap money, well possibly there is some truth to that, however our track record suggest we only got away with that once, and we had 3 PB type receivers to do it.

we have achieved a pretty close balance of run/pass, actually our RB's produce over a 1/3 of our offense, and Jones the largest share, and he'll be doing that cheaper then RB's that produce less, so I disagree with Lupe or anyone that thinks RB's don't earn 10 mil annual.
They’ll never admit it Yoop, best to just let it go. I got my football iq questioned for thinking it would have been a good idea to trim the old guys off the roster so we could pay a great packer..Corey Linsley. Tough crowd around here.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I have no problem resigning Jones. I’m fact I would have done so myself but that’s because I wouldn’t have drafted Dillon. The minute we took Dillon we needed to commit to him. You can’t take a RB in the 2nd round and just leave him as a backup. That’s terrible value. Sometimes you got to let a player go if there’s a replacement in line. See the QB situation.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Feb 2023 19:40
I have no problem resigning Jones. I’m fact I would have done so myself but that’s because I wouldn’t have drafted Dillon. The minute we took Dillon we needed to commit to him. You can’t take a RB in the 2nd round and just leave him as a backup. That’s terrible value. Sometimes you got to let a player go if there’s a replacement in line. See the QB situation.
I also thought drafting Dillon would seal Jones fate in GB. I can only assume Jones has just made himself uncuttable in GB with the value he brings. Kind of like what Rodgers did once Love was drafting using a 1 and a 4.

For those keeping score, that is now a 1 in Love that hasn’t been useful, a 4 in Love that hasn’t been useful, a 2 in Dillon when kylin Hill looked like a playmaker to me, a 4 for Love, number 12 overal sat for two years, played one, then tore his knee, and every 3rd rounder ever drafted being wasted too.

Not ideal.

Trade Dillon

Edit: actually I just changed my mind, I want to see if we will actually use Dillon and Jones properly once rodgers is shipped out of town.

Btw, why are we waiting on 12 to come out of his hole to make a move?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 20:00
lupedafiasco wrote:
I also thought drafting Dillon would seal Jones fate in GB. I can only assume Jones has just made himself uncuttable in GB with the value he brings. Kind of like what Rodgers did once Love was drafting using a 1 and a 4.

For those keeping score, that is now a 1 in Love that hasn’t been useful, a 4 in Love that hasn’t been useful, a 2 in Dillon when kylin Hill looked like a playmaker to me, a 4 for Love, number 12 overal sat for two years, played one, then tore his knee, and every 3rd rounder ever drafted being wasted too.

Not ideal.

Trade Dillon

Edit: actually I just changed my mind, I want to see if we will actually use Dillon and Jones properly once rodgers is shipped out of town.

Because he's basically evolved into being a weird hole. Yep ......... he's in a weird hole and he's a freakin' strange hole. Just a hole. :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Not ideal.

Trade Dillon

between Dillon and Jones where getting over 2K, so I dont care where Dillon was drafted, Lafleurs offensive goals was to have a slasher like Jones and a pounder like Dillon, don't know what Dillons contract is but I'am sure it's cheap.

not sure what you mean by properly, we've been giving them 25 to 30 touches depending on success, with about 55 to 60 offensive plays a game thats about half.

we had a ton of disfunction last season, taking shots at the coach when so much that went wrong was out of his control is short sighted to me, course like QB, they get the blame or the glory.

I think when ya look back it's easy for a fan to find something wrong with every season, last year just had a cumulative affect of youth, injury, loss of Adams, constable of defense Joe Barry ( Lafleur will ride or hide with his chosen one) :lol:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Having both Dillon and Jones is a good thing. RB's take a pounding and its pretty rare to not miss several games. If you expect to make the playoffs then you need 2 starting quality RB's so that 1 will be healthy for those playoff games.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Drj820 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Not ideal.

Trade Dillon

It's sort of like groundhog day. If he sees his shadow he will play another year for the Packers.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Dillon has been stealing carries from jones because of his draft slot.

Was a dumb draft pick.

Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb thought they had their pair in Love and Dillon.

Instead they keep begging the starters in rodgers and jones to stay.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Looks like him returning in 2024 as well is a lot more likely as well.

‘Only’ a $5M cap savings next year with a release.

Although gotta take $7m on the chin in ‘25 if we just let him walk then.

But big time move for 2023, bigger savings than if we just released him or kicked the can as much we can. Gunna make this offseason a lot easier.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
18 Feb 2023 08:28
Looks like him returning in 2024 as well is a lot more likely as well.

‘Only’ a $5M cap savings next year with a release.

Although gotta take $7m on the chin in ‘25 if we just let him walk then.

But big time move for 2023, bigger savings than if we just released him or kicked the can as much we can. Gunna make this offseason a lot easier.

My best guess is Jones plays this year on the current deal and then we sign him to a 3 or 4 year extension to smooth out his cap.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
17 Feb 2023 11:03
Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Feb 2023 08:46
In effect, doesn’t this just kick the can one year down the road? Yeah, we’ll keep AJ in 2023. But they’ll have to renegotiate again next year or release him (WITH a cap hit).

I’m not a fan of the phantom years on contracts as that creates a snowball to avalanche that’ll be hard to overcome.
are you a fan of winning? Jones provides a 1/4 of our production.
Does a car need oil and gas?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Feb 2023 19:03

Does a car need oil and gas?

not always. :mrgreen:

IT. IS. TIME

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
They are such different backs and IMO you need more than one. One of the reasons RBs have short careers is because they are run into the ground. Plus a change of pace is a good thing. I do wish we had them out there together more.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
19 Feb 2023 12:34
lupedafiasco wrote:
They are such different backs and IMO you need more than one. One of the reasons RBs have short careers is because they are run into the ground. Plus a change of pace is a good thing. I do wish we had them out there together more.
Dual threat running back combos can kill any defensive strategy. Look at what Joe Washington and John Riggins were able to accomplish in DC in 1983. Don Warren and Rick Walker were good enough TEs. The HOGS dominated the line of scrimmage (2 HOFers). Oh and they had Art Monk and Charlie Brown (Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders and Clint Didier weren't there yet). This is the kind of offensive team the 2023 Packers need to emulate. Jones and Dillon in the backfield is a good running start, but not the entire required package.

Pugger and Yoop likely remember this from 1984:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
19 Feb 2023 12:34
lupedafiasco wrote:
I agree you need more than one but just look across the league. You can get your RB2 anywhere in the draft. Hell you can get your RB1 anywhere too. Kylin Hill probably was unhappy with his role and lack of touches but he would have made a great #2. It’s been my gripe all of Gutenbumst career. He doesn’t manage his resources well at all. I don’t have a problem with strengthening a position group of you don’t have glaring weaknesses year and year.

As for having both on the field I feel like it’s bad offense. Anytime you put Dillon the field the offense is worth. You take Jones off who is better. You take a blocker off the field who is better at that job than Dillon. You take a receiver off the field who is better at that job than Dillon. I just don’t think it’s proven to be very effective.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Dillon's value is multi-faceted. A change of pace as noted by others...but there's more on the strategic side

When Aaron Jones is on the field, the defense will counter with nickle most of the time.
But if they go light when Dillon is on the field, the Packers will gash them. That's the biggest difference in how teams play Dillon vs Jones
Dillon forces the defense to go heavier in the box...and that makes it easier to pass. Jones is 100 % awesome, but the DCs don't adjust their personnel package based on him. But they do for Dillon. And by having both RBs out there, it puts the DC in a real bind in terms of matching personnel.

The other part of Dillon's value is in closing out games. MLF wants to keep Jones fresh all year and so rather than pounding Jones at the end of games, they prefer to use the battering ram, Dillon. Unfortunately, GB wasn't closing out as many games as they had the previous seasons.
We'll see what happens in 2023.
IT. IS. TIME