Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

wizard 87 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 15:17
FYI, the report is part of Tyler Dunne's network, I can tell everyone here with 100% certainty that Dunne still has a legit connection inside the offices in GB. I believe Yoho may remember that connection as well.

Don't blow this off like some of you like to do because it doesn't meet the narrative you want, If McGinn is using that connection it's more than hearsay.
Ok well spill the beans, who is the connection? Can share it in the members-only section if you want

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

texas wrote:
17 Feb 2023 16:59
wizard 87 wrote:
FYI, the report is part of Tyler Dunne's network, I can tell everyone here with 100% certainty that Dunne still has a legit connection inside the offices in GB. I believe Yoho may remember that connection as well.

Don't blow this off like some of you like to do because it doesn't meet the narrative you want, If McGinn is using that connection it's more than hearsay.
Ok well spill the beans, who is the connection? Can share it in the members-only section if you want
Pretty’s sure it’s [mention]Bogey[/mention]

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

McGinn has been around long enough to have acquired quite a few sources and he’s respected enough to not leak a BS report.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Feb 2023 19:45
McGinn has been around long enough to have acquired quite a few sources and he’s respected enough to not leak a BS report.
I mean last year, he literally reported this:
The Athletic's Bob McGinn reported, "the quarterback won't return as long as Brian Gutekunst remains general manager of the team."
soooooooo :idn:

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 17:04
texas wrote:
wizard 87 wrote:

Pretty’s sure it’s @Bogey
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Bogey wrote:
17 Feb 2023 21:48
BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 17:04
texas wrote:

Pretty’s sure it’s @Bogey
:rotf:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Feb 2023 21:45
lupedafiasco wrote:
The Athletic's Bob McGinn reported, "the quarterback won't return as long as Brian Gutekunst remains general manager of the team."
And I bet he got it from a source. It’s not like it’s untrue that Rodgers was unhappy with Gutenbumst at one point.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Most predictors whiff from time to time. Funny McGinn gets written off for his whiff while schefter gets a pass.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Feb 2023 07:23
Most predictors whiff from time to time. Funny McGinn gets written off for his whiff while schefter gets a pass.
What was Schefter wrong about again?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 15:31
A little more smoke on the not putting in the work speculation. First the scout in the Huber article, now McGinn. Not saying it's true, but interesting it came up again
Eh, someone smarter than me can get into the psychology of it all, but this feels like a little bit of human nature to try to do whatever you can to justify a decision that (seemingly) has already been made. I'm not piling on this. They can move on to Love without tearing down Rodgers in the process. Rodgers is a veteran in the twilight of his career. He has been very forthcoming about the fact that he now has multiple interests outside of football. The Packers knew everything they were getting into last year and they were fine with it, then. No reason to pretend like they weren't now.

The lack of a work with teammates and OTA's is a separate issue, but concerning Rodgers individual commitments to the team and his body, while there may be credible evidence to say he did not do as much as he previously had, I do not believe for one second that is why he struggled last year or why the team struggled last year. There is a ton that I do not like about Aaron Rodgers, but I sure respect the man's work ethic.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
18 Feb 2023 08:56
Drj820 wrote:
Nothing.

bobsacamano
Reactions:

Post by bobsacamano »

wizard 87 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 13:52
Our Old buddy Bob McGinn posted this a few minutes ago... :)
“As of right now, I’m convinced — based on my own instincts and knowing the NFL and knowing what happens after all these defeats and discussions with someone who has firsthand knowledge of this organization, of the Packers’ internal debates — that they are done with Rodgers. That’s the way it is right now, that he’s not coming back. They’re disgusted with him and they’re done with him and they’re moving on. This is going to involve money and a trade partner and all kinds of things. But I’m totally convinced he is not going to be their starting quarterback this year. On the other hand, they love Jordan Love. They think he’s the second coming now. They’ve seen enough in practice for three years, that they believe he is like Rodgers 2.0. That’s where this organization is coming from right now. They have turned the page, just like they did to Favre in June and July, those months in the summer of 2008 and I don’t see it changing.

“Even if Rodgers comes back to collect that $59 million, I think he’s the backup. He could try to ruin the whole operation. But he knows that’s not going to happen and he’s going to accept a trade somewhere. He knows he can’t live with that, with the Packers’ fans and everybody. It’s Love’s turn. The organization’s going that way. And that’s the way it is. This is everybody, I’m told. This is Murphy. This is LaFleur. This is Gutekunst. This is the whole shooting match. They’ve turned the page. They don’t see Rodgers as a guy who’s really working hard anymore. They see a guy who — when he reported this year — his body wasn’t as so-called ‘tight’ and strong as it was. They see a guy who blew off the offseason last year. … They’re done. It’s a hard guy to be done with.”
Anyone got this?

https://www.packersnews.com/restricted/ ... 8768007%2F

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Feb 2023 10:27
go pak go wrote:
18 Feb 2023 08:56
Drj820 wrote:
Nothing.
That's my take on it. HIs timing wasn't good and he didn't reveal his sources, but in the end, we all know he was pissed with the Packers and we all know he truly almost never came to camp in 2021.

I don't honestly know what Schefter was wrong about concerning the whole Rodgers deal when looking at it from a high level.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Feb 2023 07:08
YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Feb 2023 21:45
lupedafiasco wrote:
And I bet he got it from a source. It’s not like it’s untrue that Rodgers was unhappy with Gutenbumst at one point.
Right, then we agree.

McGinn has sources. What he reports often comes from sources. But those sources often don’t have the full picture or aren’t the decision makers and turn out untrue. McGinn reports with a certainty that his sources do not possess. And once we as readers understand that, we can interpret him with the proper grain of respect and of salt

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

obviously McGinn knows a lot of football people, but his sources have been wrong in the past, again as always we are hearing third hand opinions, when he says or quotes a anonymous source, such as these anonymous scouts from this division or that one, it's a dead end for me, if someone wont attach there name to there opinion then as far as I'am concerned thats McGinn or anyone attempting to do that as using a qualifier of that anonymous person to add credence to what they have to say, so for me it practically nullifies everything they said.

be glad when Rodgers finally stats his intentions, tired of the rumors and cheap shots at Rodgers, and the media attempt to create news rather then just reporting it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
18 Feb 2023 09:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 15:31
A little more smoke on the not putting in the work speculation. First the scout in the Huber article, now McGinn. Not saying it's true, but interesting it came up again
Eh, someone smarter than me can get into the psychology of it all, but this feels like a little bit of human nature to try to do whatever you can to justify a decision that (seemingly) has already been made. I'm not piling on this. They can move on to Love without tearing down Rodgers in the process. Rodgers is a veteran in the twilight of his career. He has been very forthcoming about the fact that he now has multiple interests outside of football. The Packers knew everything they were getting into last year and they were fine with it, then. No reason to pretend like they weren't now.

The lack of a work with teammates and OTA's is a separate issue, but concerning Rodgers individual commitments to the team and his body, while there may be credible evidence to say he did not do as much as he previously had, I do not believe for one second that is why he struggled last year or why the team struggled last year. There is a ton that I do not like about Aaron Rodgers, but I sure respect the man's work ethic.
I agree, there's no need to tear the guy down. I'm not sure the org intends to. I feel like the sources that are leaking this to the press are more likely to be rogue chatterboxes than the org from the top is trying to plant seeds. A LOT of chatter happens around these things. Being at the combine in 2005 I was shellshocked by how much information is widely circulated among scouts and execs and coaches that never sees the light of day in the media.

I was the lowest of low men on the totem pole--no exclusive access of any kind--and I knew all sorts of things about prospects I just assumed would make it to the press and never did. I knew all sorts of opinions about Mike Sherman in his last year of head coaching and relationships among front offices I was completely unaware of from outside looking in; and things that happened in the interview rooms I wasn't allowed in were widely known... and never heard of them from the media after.

Years later, in 2017, having a single solitary lunch with Eliot Wolf (I generally kept my acquaintanceship with him hush hush on this board because it was quite distant, but our dads had become friends when Ron Wolf retired and moved to Annapolis, and now that he's well out of Packers football, I'm fine to mention it), I learned more about Ted Thompson's mental state and Mike McCarthy's tenuous tenure than I had ever seen mentioned by anyone reporting anywhere... I only shared that info with JustJeff in a PM.

Point is, I don't think the org is tearing down Rodgers, nor do I think they should.... but it does seem like some reporters are being given the green light (or taking the green light) by their run-of-the-mill sources to run with some opinions and chatter they had probably been keeping under wraps.

But it is disappointing to see that whole thing play out in a contentious manner yet again. Rodgers will emerge from his darkness retreat to inundations of hot takes and media requests and commentary based on Bob McGinn, who Rodgers very much doesn't like (based on comments last year). Fortunately, because it comes from McGinn, I doubt Rodgers will hold THE PACKERS responsible for it. But if it keeps going, with other sources starting to verify and reiterate, it might again grow ugly.

As for the Packers knowing what they were getting, I agree. Which is why it was absolutely positively the wrong decision to keep Rodgers and trade Adams last year. I knew the Adams ship had sailed (and while I desperately wanted to keep him, I know that I argued against the contract size that he did eventually acquire). But that was the decision point that set this team back a year in my view. 2020 and 2021 were the offensive window. The defense, as Gutey said recently publicly, was expected to be able to carry the load and keep the team competitive during the offensive transition this year.

But we made the wrong choice of transition. Last year was time to move on from Rodgers, and Adams was the elite veteran receiving weapon that would both make life easier for Love and help the next generation of receivers in Green Bay see how it's done from a work ethic, film study, and professional disposition standpoint. I think every position group needs that "lead-by-example" presence in addition to coaching, and Lazard and Cobb just don't command the same respect nor display the same level of technical skill and refinement to be that presence. I always feel you need to judge decisions not based on hindsight, but based on what was known at the time the decision was made; and there is ample evidence and plenty of people who felt this way at the time. Hindsight, of course, bears it out--Rodgers' production missed Davante Adams a helluva lot more than Adams' production missed Aaron Rodgers. And our team paid the price for it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sorry that was long:

TL:DR version:

I would guess and hope that the smearing of Rodgers is from random sources and not a concerted effort from the top of the org to publicly justify their upcoming decision. The fact that it comes from McGinn, who Rodgers doesn't like, might help keep the relationship from turning sour at a time when they need to cooperate.

And it's clear to me that Rodgers missed Adams more than Adams missed Rodgers and the team made the wrong choice last offseason and in the time leading up to it, about which of those pieces to stick with and which to move on from, in the upcoming transition from our previous window to our next window.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

You guys gotta quit teasing all this inside info and then not telling us!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Fo2ly2kXgAAP_Az.jpeg
Fo2ly2kXgAAP_Az.jpeg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 294 times