Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Interesting opinion piece against Rodgers in Oakland:

https://www.raidersbeat.com/insider-exp ... -disaster/
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

texas wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:32
You guys gotta quit teasing all this inside info and then not telling us!
I mean, if you're really interested in hearing TT's thoughts on Ken Lucas escape Seattle to Carolina; the story behind Odell Thurman's domestic abuse allegations which were later withdrawn; thoughts on positive marijuana tests... not the most relevant stuff these days.

Actually, the most interesting thing that bears relevance today was the conversation between some coaches and scouts (and Paul Hornung, incidentally) watching the QBs that year. A couple people thought Jason Campbell would be the best QB from that draft but that the coaching changes at Auburn had stunted him. Vigorous debate about Adrian McPhereson as Hunung thought passing bad checks wasn't a character risk and others thought it spoke to bigger issues--but multiple guys thinking based on talent he's a potential top QB in the class. Recognize, this was the year we drafted Aaron Rodgers. So to say the room was split about him is probably an understatement. Notable, though, TT sat far away from his coaches and scouts by himself during the combine. He liked to focus on what he saw and thought himself before exposing it to others' opinions. It was his method. So he was not involved in any of that chatter.

I came away thinking that McPhereson under Sean Payton's coaching would be a killer sleeper. That, uhhhh, didn't work out. The Saints signed Drew Brees, McPhereson sued the Titans for the injury he sustained when hit by a golf cart on the sidelines, and he was cut and never played in the NFL again.

I guess the point is that there is so much information at the combine that you can come away being more confused or misled than you were going in.

Oh, and as for 2017; Wolf seemed frustrated with McCarthy for not running the ball enough and for not using the guys he had; I think there was something specific about that 7th round RB pick Mayes or something? Tough to recall; it felt minor, but I was surprised by the tone. He also said TT had some very foggy memory issues and needed to be told things multiple times, so those who had been saying he seemed senile, which felt like an unfair attack on internet boards... I simply stopped arguing against them. At the time, it's the kind of thing you keep close to the vest; you don't want to be a leak yourself, ya know?

Anyway, sorry for the topic diversion. But you asked. It's really not a huge deal anymore, so I figured I'd oblige.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:39
Interesting opinion piece against Rodgers in Oakland:

https://www.raidersbeat.com/insider-exp ... -disaster/
Without reading the article in full but seeing the gist of it, I feel this DEEPLY on one hand. But on the other, I'm pretty sure it was considered a not-so-secret that Rodgers wanted McDaniels to be the hire in 2019, so Rodgers might actively want to play for him.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:52
texas wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:32
You guys gotta quit teasing all this inside info and then not telling us!
I mean, if you're really interested in hearing TT's thoughts on Ken Lucas escape Seattle to Carolina; the story behind Odell Thurman's domestic abuse allegations which were later withdrawn; thoughts on positive marijuana tests... not the most relevant stuff these days.

Actually, the most interesting thing that bears relevance today was the conversation between some coaches and scouts (and Paul Hornung, incidentally) watching the QBs that year. A couple people thought Jason Campbell would be the best QB from that draft but that the coaching changes at Auburn had stunted him. Vigorous debate about Adrian McPhereson as Hunung thought passing bad checks wasn't a character risk and others thought it spoke to bigger issues--but multiple guys thinking based on talent he's a potential top QB in the class. Recognize, this was the year we drafted Aaron Rodgers. So to say the room was split about him is probably an understatement. Notable, though, TT sat far away from his coaches and scouts by himself during the combine. He liked to focus on what he saw and thought himself before exposing it to others' opinions. It was his method. So he was not involved in any of that chatter.

I came away thinking that McPhereson under Sean Payton's coaching would be a killer sleeper. That, uhhhh, didn't work out. The Saints signed Drew Brees, McPhereson sued the Titans for the injury he sustained when hit by a golf cart on the sidelines, and he was cut and never played in the NFL again.

I guess the point is that there is so much information at the combine that you can come away being more confused or misled than you were going in.

Oh, and as for 2017; Wolf seemed frustrated with McCarthy for not running the ball enough and for not using the guys he had; I think there was something specific about that 7th round RB pick Mayes or something? Tough to recall; it felt minor, but I was surprised by the tone. He also said TT had some very foggy memory issues and needed to be told things multiple times, so those who had been saying he seemed senile, which felt like an unfair attack on internet boards... I simply stopped arguing against them. At the time, it's the kind of thing you keep close to the vest; you don't want to be a leak yourself, ya know?

Anyway, sorry for the topic diversion. But you asked. It's really not a huge deal anymore, so I figured I'd oblige.
Haha well I was just talking &%$@. I love the rumor mill, and you and Wizard 87 dropped some bait, so it's only fair that we get to know what it is!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:22
Sorry that was long:

TL:DR version:

I would guess and hope that the smearing of Rodgers is from random sources and not a concerted effort from the top of the org to publicly justify their upcoming decision. The fact that it comes from McGinn, who Rodgers doesn't like, might help keep the relationship from turning sour at a time when they need to cooperate.

And it's clear to me that Rodgers missed Adams more than Adams missed Rodgers and the team made the wrong choice last offseason and in the time leading up to it, about which of those pieces to stick with and which to move on from, in the upcoming transition from our previous window to our next window.
good comments.

I agree when ya look back we should have cut ties with Rodgers prior to last season, traded him and took the compensation.

the slandering of Rodgers is the media trying to make the Packers look bad if we don't trade him, I've been convinced for years McGinn hates management, in fact Teds famous comment of "they think they know, but havn't a clue" imo was aimed at Bob McGinn, when beat writers take it upon themselves to slam just about every decision the GM makes, right or wrong it goes from professional to personal, I've also felt he left journal sentenal on poor terms.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
18 Feb 2023 14:01
the slandering of Rodgers is the media trying to make the Packers look bad if we don't trade him, I've been convinced for years McGinn hates management, in fact Teds famous comment of "they think they know, but havn't a clue" imo was aimed at Bob McGinn, when beat writers take it upon themselves to slam just about every decision the GM makes, right or wrong it goes from professional to personal, I've also felt he left journal sentenal on poor terms.
The TT regime and Bob McGinn had active animosity that travelled in both directions. That's no secret. I don't know if it carried over to Gutey, who was around at the time, but it seems to have. But it's also just good reporting to be the guy willing to say negative things about the home team. My dad was a sportswriter in Maryland who trashed the Orioles when they deserved it, and got voted "Most Hated Man in Annapolis" when I was 5 or 6. The local PBS station did a feature on it, where they asked me what I thought of that and I had to do like 7 or 10 takes saying "he's my daddy and I love him" and then jumping into his arms for a hug.

But obvi, as a kid, when you find out people hate your dad, you have questions. "Dad, why do people hate you?" And he said "in my business, you don't mind negative feedback. If they tell you they hate your article, it means they're still reading you."

Obvi, click bait culture mainstreamed that to the extent that we need more of a counterweight to the negativity than a counterweight to the positivity, but point is, I respect McGinn for still working sources, cultivating information, publishing things the org wouldn't want published, etc. The vast majority of Packer beat reporters use publicly available info from media availability, sometimes follow up with a player's former coach or parents in a separate round of calls, and write an article, adding almost nothing to the public's knowledge that we couldn't already know ourselves by clicking on the press conference video. It's summarizing public info rather than finding/reporting more. McGinn is among the last of an era, honestly, as football beat writers go.

I don't respect him, however, for doing all of that in support of narratives rather than in search of the truth. He doesn't seem to feel any obligation to report a consensus of ideas and opinions, but only the ideas and opinions that support his pre-ordained narrative angles. That can make for effective writing, but it isn't reporting.

Man, I'm getting personal today, huh?

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Sorry that was long:

TL:DR version:

And it's clear to me that Rodgers missed Adams more than Adams missed Rodgers and the team made the wrong choice last offseason and in the time leading up to it, about which of those pieces to stick with and which to move on from, in the upcoming transition from our previous window to our next window.
So ridiculous lol

Rodgers didn't have a nfl quality receiving group. It was the worst group in the league.

Also a poor line made to look much better by his play.

Rodgers has won a superbowl, mvp and has the best season passer rating in the league without Adams.

Seems people have no concept of contributing variables to play.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
18 Feb 2023 15:24
YoHoChecko wrote:
it's clear to me that Rodgers missed Adams more than Adams missed Rodgers and the team made the wrong choice last offseason and in the time leading up to it, about which of those pieces to stick with and which to move on from, in the upcoming transition from our previous window to our next window.
So ridiculous lol

Rodgers didn't have a nfl quality receiving group. It was the worst group in the league.

Rodgers has won a superbowl, mvp and has the best season passer rating in the league without Adams.

I care not about the past. I never said Adams made Rodgers' career. Rodgers is one of the best quarterbacks I have ever seen play and has been throughout his starting career. But THIS YEAR he missed Adams more than Adams missed him. There's no case against that statement. Look at their numbers. Look at the comparisons from playing together and playing apart.

Further, do you understand how feeble it is to respond to a comment that a QB missed his elite receiver by saying that's ridiculous because he didn't have good receivers?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Silversteins now got a piece claiming gutey was openly talking mid year about how it was time to see what Love had
And time to move on.

(Again, this makes gutey an idiot for giving rodgers the new deal just meer months before)

But my point is this…it’s hilarious the packers waited till Rodgers went down in his hole to roll out all the dirt on Rodgers and start the divorce. They getting a week head start on setting the narrative, not bad…not bad at all!
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Feb 2023 17:09
Silversteins now got a piece claiming gutey was openly talking mid year about how it was time to see what Love had
And time to move on.

(Again, this makes gutey an idiot for giving rodgers the new deal just meer months before)

But my point is this…it’s hilarious the packers waited till Rodgers went down in his hole to roll out all the dirt on Rodgers and start the divorce. They getting a week head start on setting the narrative, not bad…not bad at all!
I think the "time to see what Love has" stuff is more about the win-loss record than moving on from Rodgers overall. Like when you're all-but-eliminated, TONS of people wanted to get a look at Love. The team was one loss away from doing it, too. Then they kept winning.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 14:10
Yoop wrote:
18 Feb 2023 14:01
The TT regime and Bob McGinn had active animosity that travelled in both directions. That's no secret. I don't know if it carried over to Gutey, who was around at the time, but it seems to have. But it's also just good reporting to be the guy willing to say negative things about the home team. My dad was a sportswriter in Maryland who trashed the Orioles when they deserved it, and got voted "Most Hated Man in Annapolis" when I was 5 or 6. The local PBS station did a feature on it, where they asked me what I thought of that and I had to do like 7 or 10 takes saying "he's my daddy and I love him" and then jumping into his arms for a hug.

But obvi, as a kid, when you find out people hate your dad, you have questions. "Dad, why do people hate you?" And he said "in my business, you don't mind negative feedback. If they tell you they hate your article, it means they're still reading you."

Obvi, click bait culture mainstreamed that to the extent that we need more of a counterweight to the negativity than a counterweight to the positivity, but point is, I respect McGinn for still working sources, cultivating information, publishing things the org wouldn't want published, etc. The vast majority of Packer beat reporters use publicly available info from media availability, sometimes follow up with a player's former coach or parents in a separate round of calls, and write an article, adding almost nothing to the public's knowledge that we couldn't already know ourselves by clicking on the press conference video. It's summarizing public info rather than finding/reporting more. McGinn is among the last of an era, honestly, as football beat writers go.

I don't respect him, however, for doing all of that in support of narratives rather than in search of the truth. He doesn't seem to feel any obligation to report a consensus of ideas and opinions, but only the ideas and opinions that support his pre-ordained narrative angles. That can make for effective writing, but it isn't reporting.

Man, I'm getting personal today, huh?
haha, good stuff :aok:

I can't remember a good thing from McGinn towards Ted till his comments after the disclosure of Teds ailments and Death, I think great reporting cast light on both positive as well as the negative as how it seems your father and the more earlier McGinn operated, again I enjoyed Bobs comments and reports quite a bit back in the Ron Wolf era.
and admittedly because so much stuff that suppose to be news, is actually some ones regurgitated opinion some one else had, which is also a rumor or half truth from some anonymous source, so it's turned me to the point I don't read near as much any more, I get so bored and agitated when the column recks of biased opinions, maybe its a age thing or I'am just turning senile, both, but then for all my live I've been thin skinned and easily offended with a bad word against the team and players even when it may be true. :rotf:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
And time to move on.

Also, what does this mean?

This means that openly, all the reporters and scouts and front office people and media members around the team knew Gutey was saying this.

And the reporters sat on the story until right now. Obviously, they want to stay in the team's good graces enough to maintain a healthy working relationship, so some things you sit on. But the timing of it being right now is a media thing, like Shefter before the draft.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 16:49
bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
it's clear to me that Rodgers missed Adams more than Adams missed Rodgers and the team made the wrong choice last offseason and in the time leading up to it, about which of those pieces to stick with and which to move on from, in the upcoming transition from our previous window to our next window.
So ridiculous lol

I care not about the past. I never said Adams made Rodgers' career. Rodgers is one of the best quarterbacks I have ever seen play and has been throughout his starting career. But THIS YEAR he missed Adams more than Adams missed him. There's no case against that statement. Look at their numbers. Look at the comparisons from playing together and playing apart.

Further, do you understand how feeble it is to respond to a comment that a QB missed his elite receiver by saying that's ridiculous because he didn't have good receivers?
I think though a WR like Adams can be great with any QB of Carr's level, where as any QB will struggle under the conditions of poor OL cohesion and about the same with the receivers, I think the OL issues are under rated here, the blocking of and on all year was bad.

I too think when ya fail to take the Thumb, the blocking, and the youth at WR into consideration, then that would have a really bad affect on any QB. not sure what to think with Silversteins comment, I have doubts that Gutekunst would ever allow those thoughts to leave the building, we'll find out more soon enough when both sides make a announcement.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 17:16
Drj820 wrote:
And time to move on.

This means that openly, all the reporters and scouts and front office people and media members around the team knew Gutey was saying this.

And the reporters sat on the story until right now. Obviously, they want to stay in the team's good graces enough to maintain a healthy working relationship, so some things you sit on. But the timing of it being right now is a media thing, like Shefter before the draft.
It means in tiny little Green Bay where there is a small media and not a real eco system of hardcore journalists, “beat writers” and “reporters” get scoops and wait to report those scoops until they get permission from Packers Org. They know they could be iced out without a green light, and they don’t want to make their jobs harder.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Tyler Dunne has surfaced in a couple of places, giving McGinn “credit” for stirring up things, um, I mean getting the real scoop on the feel in the locker room about Rodgers. Dunne claims that McGinn claims that he has inside sources within the org that say…

Nope. Not gonna do that here. It’s click bait, like some have said. Yeah, it might be true. But still. It’s click bait and not at all helpful. Anytime that one person claims that a 2nd person claims that a 3rd person knows how the 4th person feels, that is always a bad thing.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 16:49
bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
So ridiculous lol

A differ3nce between good and the worst group in the league.

The Packers should have resigned an aging wr over a back to back mvp qb? Great take, you would go far.

The reality is a qbs play will be signicantly impacted by poor line, poor wrs and a broken thumb.

Let's see Rodgers make you stupid again like he did in 2020.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Feb 2023 17:47
YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 17:16

It means in tiny little Green Bay where there is a small media and not a real eco system of hardcore journalists, “beat writers” and “reporters” get scoops and wait to report those scoops until they get permission from Packers Org. They know they could be iced out without a green light, and they don’t want to make their jobs harder.
100% fair assessment

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I just heard a news break out of Philadelphia that the Packers have ordered a black tent to put next to the medical tent on the Packers sideline (both home and away games). Has anyone else heard this?
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 20 Feb 2023 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Has Punxsutawney Aaron emerged from his slumber?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's a young man's game, including at QB....
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-playof ... ain3JL6zw0
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto