2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:59
Backthepack4ever wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:50
I m also for going after 2 tes that are threats. Washington is a monster that can move. I see musgraves popped in the top 50. I know nothing about him but sounds like he is an athlete also. Rodgers would just LOVE seeing Love get the spoils of weapons at his disposal
I am genuinely of the opinion that Musgrave is the exact type of guy that the Packers front office would be super high on, and I hate that because he's such a boom/bust gamble in a class full of sure thing TEs.

I would LOVE to get Darnell Washington and any of like 5 or 6 guys in rounds 4,5, and/or 6. There are guys of all shapes, sizes, and skillsets throughout this class at TE.
Agreed. This is the first TE draft class I have been excited about in years.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from Ben Fennel on the WRs

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I have to watch Parker Washington, don't I?

Also, fwiw, Dane Brugler and one of the Draft Network guys have Tyler Scott in their top 50 and have "pound the table," "my guy" feels about him.

He's a little bigger than Zay Jones, a little shorter than Jalin Hyatt, but should have the same speed as Hyatt (one of the reasons I don't understand why Hyatt's speed is giving him such high draft stock, since there are other similar guys)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Feb 2023 12:04

Also, fwiw, Dane Brugler and one of the Draft Network guys have Tyler Scott in their top 50 and have "pound the table," "my guy" feels about him.

He's a little bigger than Zay Jones, a little shorter than Jalin Hyatt, but should have the same speed as Hyatt (one of the reasons I don't understand why Hyatt's speed is giving him such high draft stock, since there are other similar guys)
I feel like Hyatt’s speed and Scott’s speed are not comparable. And I love Scott actually a bit and think he’s really fast.

I actually can’t recall being as impressed with game speed as I have with Hyatt. He’s in his own tier for speed. And given he looks that much faster than everyone against the SEC is even more impressive.

I’d probably plug Watson in between the two actually for game speed.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Hyatt is in a different tier speed wise to all others. It's that elite difference that makes players a blue.

Hyatt will go around that 10 mark. He was just weirdly underrated pre draft.

This is a good wr group.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I just want to say, that while if I'm the Bears I'd love to trade back with the Colts to 4--I'm getting the distinct feel that the Colts are smoke-screening their interest in moving up to try to force Houston to give up draft capital to move up... to take Bryce Young. Because the Colts are traditionally/historically traits-based drafters and I just can't see them rolling with a 5'11" 190 pound option at QB. I think the Colts are a Stroud/Levis team, and they just want to weaken their division rival. Now, they could also trade up and take one of those two guys, but would they have to?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Ok, so I've been looking at Parker Washington a little.

He's got some really good looking plays. His acceleration jumps, though I'm not sure about his top-end speed. His hands are really good. He adjusts well to poorly thrown balls, he does body manipulation to get in position and has good jump skills and timing to make contested catches even at 5'10"ish.

That said, he's not consistently separating. And with the body type and some minor question about speed (can't tell if he's more 4.45 or 4.55) I can't help but see a little bit of Amari Rogers with better hands; maybe better acceleration, too. And maybe that's enough. But he's a guy I like a lot more when I watch highlights than when I just a cut-up; tons of screens and manufactured touches, and even with off coverage in the slot, the separation doesn't come naturally.

It's a thin class, so I guess 3rd round makes some sense, but he feels more of a 4th kind of guy to me. Also, I should note that the cut-up I watched was from 2021, not 2022, so it's possible he improved his route-running and separation skills this year, but I'll wait to see the athletic testing and then consider revisiting if he performs well. Maybe he has enough short area burst to carve out a really nice role.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Labrev wrote:
20 Feb 2023 19:38
Van Ness is a 2nd rounder to me. He will develop into a nice player but man OSU tackles destroyed him. Like made him look like a child. I didn't see anything to his game that screams top 20.

He looked good inside but NFL interior guys slow that down and he's not even close to ready at edge

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

bud fox wrote:
19 Feb 2023 12:43
YoHoChecko wrote:

Hyatt is in a different tier speed wise to all others. It's that elite difference that makes players a blue.

Hyatt will go around that 10 mark. He was just weirdly underrated pre draft.

This is a good wr group.
Idk if he goes that high but yes his speed is in a tier alone and it's not that close for sure

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
20 Feb 2023 19:38
I think this guy can be very good. But that video isn’t a good example of his ability. That Tackle was already on his heels.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 16:37
I can't wait to have a whole new cast of favorite characters and completely obliterate about half of my prior draft opinions.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Feb 2023 17:45
BF004 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 16:37
I can't wait to have a whole new cast of favorite characters and completely obliterate about half of my prior draft opinions.
Yep, I trust numbers on a spreadsheet more than I trust my own football scouting skills on random highlight videos. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 17:47
Yep, I trust numbers on a spreadsheet more than I trust my own football scouting skills on random highlight videos.
Our favorite team also seems to really like numbers so it's great.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It is hilarious and wild how many WR highlights come against Indiana the past two years. I feel like it's so much that you just throw out that tape, haha

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I liked listening to Cheesehead TV today. They spoke about how there’s ZERO chance that GB will pick a TE in round 1. That is, unless maybe they trade and get a 2nd pick in rd 1. But given Packer history (not just Guty), an OLineman makes a lot of sense. A Safety makes a lot of sense. I agree with those notions. But I would add a WR in the first two rounds, for sure.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

PFF Sim out of boredom, sent Rodgers to WAS in this one for a second-round pick (and a 2023 pick).

R1) Calijah Kancey - DL, Pitt
R2) Luke Musgrave - TE, OSU
R2) Steve Avila - IOL, TCU
R3) Andre Carter - EDGE, Army
R4) Kendre Miller - RB, TCU
R5) Michael Wilson - WR, Stanford
R5) Quindell Johnson - S, Memphis
(*skipped Rounds 6 and 7*)

I am of the opinion that interior pass-rush > edge-rush, so a guy like Kancey who can get pressure within two seconds of the snap is well worth #15 overall.

I don't think we would actually draft a DL in Day 1 after just drafting Wyatt last year, and Clark at 27 likely being a guy they expect to get another contract, but I wanted to play around with that scenario.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Checked through to the beginning of the TT era.

Packers haven’t drafted a WR lighter than 188 (Trevor Davis and Cory Rogers)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Screenshot_20230227-120423.png
Screenshot_20230227-120423.png (778.46 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."