Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Feb 2023 11:59
go pak go wrote:
21 Feb 2023 20:32
Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Feb 2023 09:39

Amos makes up half that amount.
The deadline passed and we didn't extend.

So these contracts are voided.
Yup. Ergo, the comment by Guty earlier in the year that he would renegotiate every contract that he can this year. He needs to, just to keep under the cap.
He is a master at kicking the can down the road. Eventually the road ends.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

wallyuwl wrote:
22 Feb 2023 13:33
Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Feb 2023 11:59
go pak go wrote:
21 Feb 2023 20:32

The deadline passed and we didn't extend.

So these contracts are voided.
Yup. Ergo, the comment by Guty earlier in the year that he would renegotiate every contract that he can this year. He needs to, just to keep under the cap.
He is a master at kicking the can down the road. Eventually the road ends.
It looks like he’s trying smooth out the cap crisis over a long period of time. Maybe he’s waiting for the big TV deals to finally hit. I’ve been saying for a while to just take a year and eat it. I’d rather be disadvantaged one season than a whole bunch of them. Last year over $30M in dead cap was absurd and it’s not over yet.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

It's smart to kick the can down the road. I've been saying that for years, other smart people I respect say it too, nearly all NFL teams do it. I've given examples and numbers that show why it is smart.

It's essentially and negative interest loan, in terms of % of cap.

Sure it would be nice to eventually 'get the cap right', cause then we would have full current AND could borrow from future years. However we will only get in that situation if we are really bad and we have no one to resign, so it wouldn't be a good thing.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Feel like I’ve shown tweets here before from this account, but can’t remember if this has any credibility whatsoever. But either way.

And I mean I hope we are trying to resign him, so that shouldn’t really be news. And I also hope we aren’t going to offer that 11-13M range I’ve been hearing.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to ... on-rodgers
If Rodgers were to walk away he would forfeit all his rights to the $59.465 million in guaranteed salary for next year. In order to best accommodate the hit on the salary cap my assumption would be that the Packers and Rodgers would sign a new contract where the option bonus was eliminated and just a $1.165 salary remained. That would reduce Rodgers salary cap charge to $16,998,750 and they would carry him on the roster as a procedural move until June 2nd. At that point they would put him on the retired list. The salary cap charge in that case would be $15,833,570 in 2023 and $24,480,000 in 2024.

If they did not do that and processed the retirement right away they would take a salary cap hit of $40,313,570 in 2023 but none in 2024. The Packers have no cap space next year so it would seem more likely that they take the first approach.
Give the Packers a bit more flexibility if he retires.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
22 Feb 2023 16:48
Feel like I’ve shown tweets here before from this account, but can’t remember if this has any credibility whatsoever. But either way.

And I mean I hope we are trying to resign him, so that shouldn’t really be news. And I also hope we aren’t going to offer that 11-13M range I’ve been hearing.
I'd like to keep Lazard at the right price but $11 million is laugh out loud funny.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

[mention]RingoCStarrQB[/mention] not gonna be happy…

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Captain_Ben wrote:
22 Feb 2023 17:19
I'd like to keep Lazard at the right price but $11 million is laugh out loud funny.
OverTheCap has his 2022 valuation at $ 10.8 M so I'm guessing that's about what he'll get on the open market.

https://overthecap.com/player/allen-lazard/7167

You can plug in any player and they'll give you the previous years' valuation.
Cap is going up quickly again, not sure fans have had the chance to catch up with that rapid growth, but the agents have.
IT. IS. TIME

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BSA wrote:
22 Feb 2023 18:20
Captain_Ben wrote:
22 Feb 2023 17:19
OverTheCap has his 2022 valuation at $ 10.8 M so I'm guessing that's about what he'll get on the open market.

https://overthecap.com/player/allen-lazard/7167

You can plug in any player and they'll give you the previous years' valuation.
Cap is going up quickly again, not sure fans have had the chance to catch up with that rapid growth, but the agents have.
I can't think of any good reason to retain Lazard at that price. The only good reason I can think of to retain him at all is for continuity's sake. Unless he has a QB who can thread a needle, he's useless IMO.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Captain_Ben wrote:
22 Feb 2023 18:27
he's useless IMO.
That's fine; I just wanted you to see the $$ from a legit source
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Lazard reminds he of Oscar the Grouch. Nice guy and all but he does belong in a trash can.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think Lazard is a perfectly useful 3rd/4th WR who contributes in the running game and added himself to ST units last year when the units needed all the help they can get.

That's not the kind of guy you pay to stick around, though. I think he'd choose to be walk at the price I'd be willing to pay him, and I'd be fine with that. He'd be a nice size option for WR3 with Hackett and the Jets behind Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore since Corey Davis is hitting free agency.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yes, Lazard is the perfect 3rd WR who does a lot of the dirty work. He might be better cast as a TE than a WR. I just hope we don't overpay him. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers he receives from other clubs if he hits FA.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pugger wrote:
22 Feb 2023 23:38
Yes, Lazard is the perfect 3rd WR who does a lot of the dirty work. He might be better cast as a TE than a WR. I just hope we don't overpay him. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers he receives from other clubs if he hits FA.
That should have been his position but it is probably too late now to make the transition.

As for overpay, that is mainly a factor of playing time. Watson and Doubs need to start outside. If you are thinking of a hybrid slot/TE it is perfect for him and he is worth the money (but the Packers DON"T have that money if they keep Rodgers). If you are planning on using him as an outside WR, then no, he is not worth it even if Love is the QB.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 Feb 2023 06:01
Pugger wrote:
22 Feb 2023 23:38
That should have been his position but it is probably too late now to make the transition.
I think I actually made a thread back on the old site discussing the fact that at the time of their acquisitions/as rookies, Lazard and Tonyan basically had identical physical profiles and athletic testing.

The Packers beefed up Tonyan and slimmed down Lazard (I believe the Jags has wanted to transition Lazard to TE and he didn’t want to when we added him from their practice squad)

The thread was pointing out, at the time, that both decisions really worked out for us and how interesting it is that they made those decisions. But it also goes to show how thin the line is between what each of them are

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I can’t forgive Lazard for how awful he was the ‘21 NFC championship game. That was one of the worst offensive performances I had seen from a WR. Any opportunity he has to make a mistake he made it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
22 Feb 2023 18:11
@RingoCStarrQB not gonna be happy…

God, Family, and the Green Bay Packers.

Death, Taxes, and Packers Ticket Price Increases.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The secondary market drives ticket prices for most fans. Sorry I don't feel bad for 40% of the fans with tickets who have to risk a little more capital on getting a return on investment while actually not going to a game.

Andy Herman said, "I always get sad when not everyone can't go to Packers games" when talking about the Packers ticket prices....

Andy, the Packers face ticket value has nothing to do with almost anyone going to a Packers game. It's all about supply and demand on the secondary market.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.