Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

First, I fully expect that Rodgers will want to play. 100%. Not sure he wants to move or not. But he will want to play.

That creates the main problem for Love. I think that if Rodgers returns, then Love isn’t as much concerned about this year as the following years. If Rodgers plays in 2023, then he might as well say he’s likely to play in 2024 and 2025, etc. So, if Rodgers returns, Love might see it as no future for him in Green Bay at all. It would make sense for him to request a trade.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Feb 2023 11:57
First, I fully expect that Rodgers will want to play. 100%. Not sure he wants to move or not. But he will want to play.

That creates the main problem for Love. I think that if Rodgers returns, then Love isn’t as much concerned about this year as the following years. If Rodgers plays in 2023, then he might as well say he’s likely to play in 2024 and 2025, etc. So, if Rodgers returns, Love might see it as no future for him in Green Bay at all. It would make sense for him to request a trade.
I too think he'll want to continue to play. If management want him back he'll be back in GB this year. But as you say what to do with Love is an issue. Let's say Love wants out in 2024. What kind of market will he demand with so little tape for other teams to judge him on? Of course if Rodgers only commits to 2023 we can act on Love's 5th year option next offseason.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Dave's a little behind the news cycle, but I'd still give this a 6 out of 10:

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Feb 2023 11:06
Yoop wrote:
22 Feb 2023 10:38
Drj820 wrote:
22 Feb 2023 10:29

Ironic you say Love has no control due to being under contract, while rodgers is also under contract.

Kylin hill was under contract and got free by a little bad behavior.

Point being, If love wants out..he can def get out. This is 2023, not 1972.
Where is Kylin Hill now? seriously I don't remember the bad behavior, I remember a injury and the Packers didnt extend his contract.

seriously, why would you think that if Love wants out of his contract the team would just play ball, they wont, we have invest 3 years into developing Love, and it's up to us what happens the last 2 years of his rookie contract.

agents have been saying there players are ready to make more money for ever, thats how agents pad there bank accounts, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Russ Ball gave his agent a call and told him to shut his trap, and the team will decide the future of J Love.
Where did you get the idea that Love is under contract for 2 years. He is not. This is his last season unless the Packers exercise the 5th year option which would cost $20 million. The Packers do not have an extra $20 million in cap room for Love's 5th year.

Unless Love is the starting QB this season he is gone. No if's, no buts, no maybe's - GONE!
I didn't say he is under contract, I said WE, the GB Packers have rights to him for the next 2 years, and YOU have no idea where Love will be if Rodgers is still in GB, your guessing about something you couldn't possibly know.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Feb 2023 10:26
go pak go wrote:
22 Feb 2023 09:51
Drj820 wrote:
22 Feb 2023 09:38

i actually dont watch much packers media besides a couple twitter accounts because...as ive taken heat on hear from many for saying...the ones who are on the outside are just glorified fans/bloggers who make a living off desperate fans who are desperate for content.

then the ones who are on the inside are so afraid to lose their place on the inside, they dont actually ever break any real news without getting the green light from the team. (see this most recent story about how the team is "done" with rodgers that just happens to come out when rodgers is in his hole)

so, i came to my opinion that Love has been told he is QB1 all on my own by reading the situation and the room. I could be wrong, but its my opinion.
Having an opinion is fine if you take the effort to explain your rational to come to your conclusion (which you did in this case). I too don't really listen to GB local beat writers because I don't see the value they provide, but I do think there are some really good hobbyist media members who have more flexibility on analyzing the team. I also think the beat writers on their podcasts or talk shows are far more open than their written articles.

If you choose to not listen to anybody then there isn't anything to talk about. So I absolutely like to listen to media and hobbyists and then use that for conversation here. After all, isn't that what die hard sports fans are supposed to like to do? Talk about their team? I mean this is a forum.

If there is good thought and rationale behind an assertion, by all means say it. It's the lazy analysis and predetermined/regurgitated conventional wisdom and talking points that I don't like. For example, I appreciate YoHo's draft analysis far more than I appreciate the draft complex's single think analysis on value of prospects.
I come here for football info, I like most of it, I like to read opinion pieces from the media as well, but so much of what is being said concerning the QB situation we have is gossip, mostly Opinions of what the sayer wants the FO to do.
I wouldn't say gossip is opinion.

But I could get behind people reporting "selective gossip". But even that...we have heard gossip from both sides of the Rodgers issue. We have heard the Packers are looking to move on and we have also heard the Packers want Aaron back if Aaron commits to being all in for 2023.

Which is what I would expect to hear this time of year. I would expect there to be multiple rumors and gossip floating around.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pugger wrote:
22 Feb 2023 12:06
Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Feb 2023 11:57

I too think he'll want to continue to play. If management want him back he'll be back in GB this year. But as you say what to do with Love is an issue. Let's say Love wants out in 2024. What kind of market will he demand with so little tape for other teams to judge him on? Of course if Rodgers only commits to 2023 we can act on Love's 5th year option next offseason.
Yeah. And if the Packers let Love go and he turns out to be something good, let along special, Guty will be ridiculed for the rest of his career. Maybe worse than the Falcon GM who let Favre get away. Lol

This is all the more reason that Guty will keep Love in the fold. The hard part for him is how to walk the tight rope of keeping Love AND Rodgers for one more year and keeping Love happy. I really think Guty will attempt this. I don’t believe what Bob McGinn is writing. But I could be wrong.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers is a pain in the a**. If they let the pain stick around, it tells us what they really think of Love, despite what they say to friendly media.

I will excited watching a season with Love. I will have already seen the movie if Rodgers comes back.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Feb 2023 21:18
Rodgers is a pain in the a**. If they let the pain stick around, it tells us what they really think of Love, despite what they say to friendly media.

I will excited watching a season with Love. I will have already seen the movie if Rodgers comes back.
Why is Rodgers a pain? Because he is taking his time to decide his future? I have no issue with that. This is a big decision for him so kudos to Packers' management for giving him space here. I think Gute and company revealed what they think about Love when they decided to keep Rodgers starting even after he broke his thumb. Love showed promise against the Eagles but he may not be ready to take over the reins just yet. This is why I believe AR will be back in GB next season if he wants to continue playing and doesn't request a trade.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Elvis, um, I mean, Aaron has left the building!

;-)

(Read this to mean that he has left the facility where he had his darkness retreat.)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
22 Feb 2023 23:33
Drj820 wrote:

Why is Rodgers a pain? Because he is taking his time to decide his future? I have no issue with that. This is a big decision for him so kudos to Packers' management for giving him space here. I think Gute and company revealed what they think about Love when they decided to keep Rodgers starting even after he broke his thumb. Love showed promise against the Eagles but he may not be ready to take over the reins just yet. This is why I believe AR will be back in GB next season if he wants to continue playing and doesn't request a trade.
Very good rationale for thinking Rodgers will be back. Also good point about how they may be lying when they gush over Love through media leaks.

That said, Rodgers is a pain because:
1) paid 50m, has 3 new rookies, can’t be bothered to come to OTAs and work with them
2) says reports of packers having conversations about the orgs future without him “interesting”, as if world should wait on him.
3) makes sure everyone know he is responsible for success.
4) makes sure everyone knows he is not responsible for team failures.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 09:20
Pugger wrote:
22 Feb 2023 23:33
Drj820 wrote:

Very good rationale for thinking Rodgers will be back. Also good point about how they may be lying when they gush over Love through media leaks.

That said, Rodgers is a pain because:
1) paid 50m, has 3 new rookies, can’t be bothered to come to OTAs and work with them
2) says reports of packers having conversations about the orgs future without him “interesting”
3) makes sure everyone know he is responsible for success.
4) makes sure everyone knows he is not responsible for team failures.
wahhhhhh, wahhhhhh, wahhhhh.

sounds like you expected something different, it's the 23 of feb, he came out of his shell 2 days earlier then he said he would, and he has been responsible for this teams success, and if anyone is responsible for failures the list starts with the GM, Murphy, and Lafleur, the blame game with Rodgers was always over blown

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This morning I am wondering about a possible scenario where AR wants to play and he wants to stay in GB. What then?

Would MLF start Love ahead of Rodgers? I doubt it. But it’s interesting to think about.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Feb 2023 10:51
This morning I am wondering about a possible scenario where AR wants to play and he wants to stay in GB. What then?

Would MLF start Love ahead of Rodgers? I doubt it. But it’s interesting to think about.
If he isn't the starter, Rodgers will raise hell...

Something I found interesting was that some Bears news source that popped into my algorithm, windy city something or other, had discussed that the best case scenario for the Bears was Rodgers deciding he wants to stay. Which is a fascinating perspective (which I agree with, but it really brings home where other fan bases might be)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Feb 2023 10:53

Something I found interesting was that some Bears news source that popped into my algorithm, windy city something or other, had discussed that the best case scenario for the Bears was Rodgers deciding he wants to stay. Which is a fascinating perspective (which I agree with, but it really brings home where other fan bases might be)
Here's the link
If Rodgers stays, it’s the best scenario for the Chicago Bears. It sounds crazy. Every Bears fan (myself included) just wants Rodgers to go away. But if he stays for another year or two in Green Bay, that’s going to completely close the window on Jordan Love, leave the Packers stuck with a roster that isn’t good enough to compete for a championship, and continue to bleed talent as they pay Rodgers an arm and a leg to finish his career in Wisconsin.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Feb 2023 10:55
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Feb 2023 10:53

Here's the link
If Rodgers stays, it’s the best scenario for the Chicago Bears. It sounds crazy. Every Bears fan (myself included) just wants Rodgers to go away. But if he stays for another year or two in Green Bay, that’s going to completely close the window on Jordan Love, leave the Packers stuck with a roster that isn’t good enough to compete for a championship, and continue to bleed talent as they pay Rodgers an arm and a leg to finish his career in Wisconsin.
My concern is the whole league is going to start to get smart and realize the bind the Packers are in.

My hope is you have two teams who still fall under the spell and bail us out. Any combination of a 1st and 2nd or a swap of 1sts, 2nd and a next year first would have me pretty happy.

It would lessen the blow of the mistake from not moving on in 2022. But yes. If this were happening in MN and I was an outside fan, I too would be begging the QB to stay as long as possible. Just like I am hoping MN does whatever it takes to keep Cousins there as long as possible.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, I feel like the best case scenario for us is if Carr does in fact, wind up with the Saints, and then say the Commanders scoop up Garappolo and the Ravens either extend Lamar or he gets traded to Atlanta.

That leaves the two most interested teams--Jets and Raiders--feeling out of luck and in a Rodgers or bust type of situation. Obviously, it's unlikely that it will move in this order, chronologically, as teams may wait to sign Carr and Garappolo until Rodgers is settled. But best case and most realistic are rarely in tune.

If the Jets get Lamar and the Raiders sign Jimmy G, the Packers likely can't get much for Rodgers from anyone.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

again, last season 14 teams carried more more dead cap money then we did, this season so far we have 15.5 mil dead cap money, along with another Doz teams.

I get that many here want to trade the guy and start the Love era, I have my doubts that the FO is as enthusiastic is you all are, we'll see.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
23 Feb 2023 11:28
again, last season 14 teams carried more more dead cap money then we did, this season so far we have 15.5 mil dead cap money, along with another Doz teams.

I get that many here want to trade the guy and start the Love era, I have my doubts that the FO is as enthusiastic is you all are, we'll see.
You might be right that they aren't as anxious to move on, but I don't understand why so many people are so much more willing to fail with what they know than to potentially fail with what they don't.

We just went 8-9 and missed the playoffs without moving on. Why would it be so much worse to move on and at least see what's next? There is no greater or lesser chance of success in the future. The future is unknowable. But people have such a hard time accepting that the future is unknowable that they rely on the past to bring them comfort as they move into it. Rodgers' past doesn't make him more likely to win a championship with the Packers than anyone else. His future is unknown and unknowable. Moving onto Love isn't more unknown than not moving on. Embrace change; it's constant.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Attachments
078DD9C0-4BC2-4573-80CE-97CCA7F19E74.png
078DD9C0-4BC2-4573-80CE-97CCA7F19E74.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 303 times