An Ideal Draft/Offseason according to YoHo

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

An Ideal Draft/Offseason according to YoHo

Post by YoHoChecko »

Last offseason I made a thread called YoHo's Absurdist Mock Offseason and this is basically the same idea but the best title was already used. Basically, I will suggest a series of fairly unlikely moves and perhaps stretch a few' prospects draft position in order to highlight the things I'd love to see, knowing full well it's not an entirely realistic scenario. That said, individual pieces of it are realistic enough that it's worth expressing ideas--putting them all together just allows me to fit more of my wants, hopes, and dreams for the team into one post. So, without further ado....

I. Trade Aaron Rodgers

In this scenario Rodgers is traded to the Raiders. The compensation is:
- a swap of 2023 first round picks (15 for 7)
- The Raiders 2023 2nd and 3rd round picks
- The Raiders' 2024 first round pick
- The Packers send back a conditional 2024 mid-round pick based on Rodgers' performance

This allows the Raiders to acquire Rodgers while retaining a 2023 first round pick. The trade value chart indicates that moving from 15 to 7 is worth a 2nd round pick, so the deal is basically two 2nds, a 3rd, and a 1st--but since four picks is a lot to give up for a 40-year old, the Packers return a pick depending on Rodgers.

II. Free Agency
- Re-sign K. Nixon
- Sign Keenan Allen to a 2-year deal when the Chargers cut him
- Sign S Taylor Rapp who is assignment sure, worked in the same scheme with the Rams, and should be a younger option than Amos at a similar price
- Re-sign JR Reed and Marcedes Lewis (let's not spend too much time on this)
- Sign QB Mike White for a small veteran deal to back up Love
- Bakhtiari is traded or released in a cap savings move. I say "or released" because a guy coming off of so many injuries at this price tag might not fetch much. If he is traded, let's just pretend it's for 2024 or part of the Rodgers package so as not to complicate the complicated draft capital I'm about to suggest.

III Maneuver the Draft Picks

Some of you won't like this, but you also know it's me and so you know what's coming (skip this and get to the bottom of the section to see what's left after some trade maneuvering if you don't care about the hypothetical details)

After the Rodgers trade, the Packers would have picks 7, 38, 45, 70, 78, 115, two 5ths, a comp 6th, and four 7ths (no point in being exact once the comp picks get rolling since they aren't official yet)

I'd trade pick 7 for a pick in the 20s in order to add a 2nd and a 4th round pick. I might even trade back twice to add an additional 3rd or 4th. So let's add some specifics.

Let's say the Commanders really want a QB and one of the top 3 (Levis or Stroud, most likely) slides to 7, where the Falcons (maybe) and Panthers (definitely) would be ripe to take him. So the Commanders come calling and the Panthers are on the phone trying to preempt the move. So we go ahead and take the Panthers' pick
- Packers get picks 9, 39, and 98 (from SF)
- Panthers get picks 7 and 45

So now we sit at 9. And I don't care who wants to move up or why, but let's say it's Seattle (20) or the Chargers (21). The compensation would basically be the same. A 2nd (51 or 53) and a 4th (121 or 123).

That's 16 picks. Absurd. Even in the early TT years of re-stocking the roster with young talent to revamp the roster and cut bad contracts (that's what we'll be doing here), we were in the 11-12 pick range. But considering that four picks are 7th rounders, it's basically just getting an early jump at UDFA.

TL: DR... The resulting Packers' Draft Capital stands at: picks 21, 38, 39, 51, 70, 78, 98, 115, 121, two 5ths, a comp 6th, and four 7ths

But now that we have finished the mental masturbation of how we got to this point, let's fulfill the goal of this whole thread and....

IV. Draft Some Players!

Pick 21: Luke Musgrave, TE, 6'6" 255 pounds
Standing alone, I would hate this pick. I would spend Thursday night and Friday afternoon frustrated that we didn't get a more surefire player with our top pick. Musgrave is traits. He's a coach's son and definitely can play ball, but he only played 2 games last year due to an injury and has very limited film and reps. He's a project. But he's a FUN project. He was recorded over 20 mph by Senior Bowl GPS tracking, showing his game speed is insane for a guy that big. The size/speed/football IQ profile is incredibly tantalizing for the Packers' front office and at a need position. They take the leap.

If Musgrave is not available, I could see the Packers taking Dalton Kincaid as an alternative. I hate Kincaid; he's a very natural pass catcher and all, but he's old (24), a tad undersized (6'4" 240), doesn't block, and while a plus athlete he's not an elite one (probably will run around a 4.7?). But he is a ready-made receiving weapon at the TE position and that's what I'm shooting for here.

Round 2, Pick 38: Darnell Washington, TE, 6'7" 275 pounds
TWO TEs?!? What are we, the Ravens? But now we're talking. Washington is basically Marcedes Lewis when he was drafted, which is a guy who blocks like an OT but who has fluid athletic ability as a receiver. While Musgrave will be a receiver who needs to refine his game and work on his blocking, Washington will be a blocker who needs to develop his immense receiving potential. The 2-TE combo at the top of the draft will give the Packers' offense run-pass flexibility and safety net receiving options for Jordan Love's development and maturation right out of the gates.

Round 2, Pick 39: Darnell Wright, OT, 6'5" 340 pounds
In my view this guy is a borderline 1st round pick. And maybe he will be. But I keep checking Drafttek, The Athletic's consensus Top 100 Big Board (sourced from all over) and other places and a lot have him around the 40s. So I leap. This is a 5-star recruit who was a disappointment until he finally put it together this past season. He's huge, athletic, and would pencil right into our RT competition from Day One. He's the type of finisher we need on the OL.

If Darnell Wright is not available here, we could go with Syracuse's Matthew Bergeron for the same role, or even Cody Mauch (who I think needs to get a lot stronger and may move inside) or Steve Avila, an interior OL I love who can compete for Myers' OC job

Round 2, Pick 51: Sydney Brown, S, 5'10" 210 pounds
I think his draft stock has elevated to the 2nd round after his outstanding Senior Bowl week, even though many/most sources still have him in the 3rd. He's smart, a great athlete, versatile, and has excellent ball skills and playmaking production. His height and some missed tackles drop him, but he's a high-ceiling, high floor fan favorite.

If Brown is not available here or this is deemed too rich, we could go with Jammie Robinson or Ronnie Hickman, two non-elite athletes who are high-instinct, highish floor options.

Round 3, Pick 70: Cedric Tillman, WR, 6'3" 210 pounds
Tillman is a bigger guy whose rep is that he struggles with separation. I wasn't that intrigued until I heard a theory from a pundit that he pushed to get back on the field too early from an ankle injury and that it really affected his play in 2022. So I went back and watched 2021 clips and there might be something to it. This guy looked a lot more dynamic that year. IF that's the case (and we'll have to watch his drills and athletic testing carefully, then we could wind up with a bargain here, getting a more dynamic player than the draft stock implies.

If Tillman is off the board, an alternative could be Xavier Hutchinson, who is sort of Doubs-like to me in that he'll probably run 4.5 but his game speed looks faster because he knows how to play football; though this might be a smidge early for him. This could also be the right area for a slot option like Tyler Scott or Jayden Reed.

Round 3, Pick 78: Karl Brooks, DL, 6'3" 300 pounds
Brooks played at Tulane as an edge rusher. At 300 pounds. He sometimes played from a stand-up position. At 300 pounds. He did move all around the line so he has experience inside, which would be his NFL home. But the athletic profile of a guy who moves that well at this size is why he's one of my favorites in the class. At the Senior Bowl he more than held his own with the higher-level competition, and he should develop into a very effective 3-tech or 5-tech in the NFL.

If Brooks isn't here, we might consider Tomi Adebawore from Northwestern, an undersized DL who has long arms for his 6'1ish height and surprising brute strength at 285 pounds. He lit up the Senior Bowl but his measurables leave questions; or a similar player in Moro Ojomo from Texas.

Round 3, Pick 98: Andrei Iosivas, WR, 6'3" 210 pounds
Ioshivas is one the top track athletes in the country and should threaten to run in the 4.2s. He's basically a poor man's Christian Watson--big, fast, physical, raw. The only thing that makes him "poor" though is that it will probably take more time to develop. Watson showed up at the Senior Bowl last year and wowed everyone with his surprisingly refined route running and crisp cuts for a man his size. Iosivas was someone people thought may do the same and, well, he didn't, which makes him available here. I desperately want another Watson type both because Watson is awesome and because I don't want to have to change the whole offense if he gets injured.

If we miss on Iosivas, I am intrigued by Trey Palmer, another track guy who has extremely long arms and good ball skills for his 6'0" frame, but probably won't test in the elite speed range--just normal, good speed like the 4.4s; would also like a guy like Puka Nacua here if we opted for slot at the other WR pick.

Round 4, Pick 115: Nick Hampton, EDGE, 6'2" 235 pounds
We've gone too deep in this draft without getting an edge rusher, but that's specifically because I love this guy. An undersized edge with longer arms than his height would indicate, Hampton flies off the ball and attacks the QB with speed. He'd be a situational rusher early, but his athleticism and football IQ also allows him to play in space. He obviously shouldn't be asked to seal the edges in the run game, but we have guys who can do that. Hampton brings the speed rush and rush/zone drop versatility to the outside LB room that we've been missing; and with a couple years in NFL strength programs, might develop into something more.

If we waited too long on Hampton (honestly picks 78, 98, and 115 could have been listed in any order, such is the uncertainty of draft stock), we could consider other small school rushers like Caleb Murphy from Ferris St (insane production) or BJ Thompson from Steven F Austin (insane athletic profile)

Round 4, Pick 121: Trey Dean, S, 6'3" 210
Dean was the practice player of the week at the Shrine Game and has very good athleticism, ball skills, and size. Honestly, I don't understand why he's not in anyone's top 100 (Drafttek has him at 96, but nothing on ESPN or the Athletic or other places I've looked). The combination of adding Sydney Brown, Trey Dean, and Taylor Rapp to the safety room in addition to nickel/S Savage and speedster Ford should be the position makeover we need.

Round 5: Ricky Stromberg, C, 6'3" 310
Stromberg is that "he's big enough, strong enough, and moves just well enough that his intelligence and technique make him almost a sure thing. Maybe he'd be a sure thing to be a 10-year backup and spot starter. Maybe a sure thing enough that he wins a starting job. I'm torn how to approach center because I don't want to invest so much in the position that we're using high draft capital to unseat a 3rd-year 2nd round pick who very well may come around. But I can't stand pat with Myers, either. The interior OL class this year is spotty, so draft stock is all over the place, but getting a "safe" pick on day 3 is a win.

I can't really think of good 5th round center alternatives because it's just such a thin class. Juice Scruggs from Penn St is probably not athletic enough for us, but could be an option.

Round 5: Mohamoud Diabate, LB, 6'3" 230
Diabate transferred from Florida to Utah and started to meet his potential out there for the Utes. He's basically a ball of athletic clay and special teams ability. He could turn into something awesome or do nothing notable at all. But you roll the dice on athletic profiles like this one.

An alternative who also might be gone by now is Marte Mapu who was awesome at the NFLPA all star game and got called up to the Senior Bowl where he continued to impress. He's a S/LB hybrid so positional fit questions will have to be worked out in-house while he earns his stripes doing special teams

Round 6: Tyson Bagent, QB, 6'3" 215
Opinions on this guy vary widely. The Draft network dudes think he's like a 4th or 5th rounder. He's a 7th/priority free agent most everywhere else. I split the difference. He's from the smallest of small school competitively, but he showed out and had great numbers. He has enough arm and has total command and control of the huddle and line of scrimmage. Obviously, he has a lot of learning and development to do, but he's a real developmental possibility. Think of him like our next Tim Boyle. I think having options to develop in the event that love is disappointing as a starter is important, and while I'm not suggesting that a 6th round pick be the starter of the future, I'd like to get a backup plan started sooner rather than later, and at least have an alternative if we wind up drafting another QB high in the coming years.

If not Bagent, we could go with more of the "safe" QB route--guys with lower ceilings but might be solid back-ups like Jake Haener or Adrian O'Connell.

Round 7
With 4 picks, I'm going to list some possible guys who may or may not be available here. Mostly some practice squad considerations for you:

K Jake Moody, 6'1" 210 - A kicker with a big leg who played his home games outdoors at Michigan? Sign me up.
RB Xavien Halladay, 6'0" 200 - reminds me of Aaron Jones except he runs a little upright
TE/FB/LB Jack Colletto, 6'3" 240 - LaFluer loves these dudes
TE Zack Kuntz, 6'8" 250 - was a game wrecker for Old Dominion but coming off of an ACL tear
iOL Jake Andrews, 6'3" 320 - coming from Troy, needs to get stronger but has upside

Biggest Regrets
I want to draft Darius Rush (or Julius Brents). Both are big CBs who looked good at the Senior Bowl (Rush locked everything down) and might be available on early Day Three. That value is sick. But CB need is low for us (though you can never have enough) and I just had other guys and positions I wanted to get to. If either were still there in the 5th round when I take the off-ball LB, I would swap that pick in a heartbeat.

V. Resulting Roster

I wouldn't dream of narrowing it down to 53 at this point, so this is just the main guys in competition, as I see it

QB - Love, Mike White, Bagent
RB - Jones, Dillon, Taylor, Goodson, Halladay
TE/FB - Josiah Deguara, Jack Colletto
TE TE - Luke Musgrave, Darnell Washington, Marcedes Lewis
WR - Keenan Allen, Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samari Toure, Bo Melton, Cedric Tillman, Andrei Iosivas
OL - Elkton Jenkins, Josh Myers, John Runyan, Yosh Nijman, Darnell Wright, Zach Tom,
Royce Newman, Rasheed Walker, Jake Hansen, Sean Rhyan, Caleb Jones, Ricky Stromberg

DL - Clark, Wyatt, Reed, Brooks, Slaton, Slayton, Ford
EDGE - Gary, Preston Smith, Enegbare, Hampton, Hollins, Garvin
iLB - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie, Diabate
CB - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, Savage, Nixon, SJC, Ballentine
S - Rapp, Brown, Ford, Dean, Carpenter, Gaines

I LOVE having an incredibly young crew of receiving weapons at WR and TE to grow alongside a new developing QB, and there's a ton of talent there (and speed). Pairing that with the tried and true Keenan Allen and Marcedes Lewis to lead by example in the position rooms is also clutch.

I'll comment below to show how I see the OL competition setting up, with the chips falling as they may.

I think adding a designated pass rusher like Hampton to Gary, Preston, and the still-developing Enegbare is a good group at EDGE, but it's probably my greatest area of concern on the remaining roster; just ahead of DLine which needs to see improvement from Wyatt and Slaton in their consistency to truly be a sound unit.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 23 Feb 2023 10:14, edited 7 times in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

As promised, the OLine competition...

I listed by player, where I think almost every player should be cross-trained at 2 positions, but no more than that, except for the 3 iOL positions.

And then by position, where I stack the competition odds as I see it (I know I say preferred, but I'd actually prefer some challengers win those jobs)
image.png
image.png (21.39 KiB) Viewed 733 times
image.png
image.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 733 times

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

"This is a 5-star recruit who was a disappointment until he finally put it together this past season."

This is always a red flag for me. The guy is very gifted and could have done better sooner. So why didn't he? Maybe he is lazy and not focused enough. Maybe in his final season he decided to focus and work harder to get drafted higher and make more money. I want to find guys who love football and work their butts off from day 1 because they love football.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. This could be the year of the TE and getting 2 with first 2 picks is fine by me. We need receiving threats whether a WR, TE or a RB - it's all good.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

AmishMafia wrote:
23 Feb 2023 10:37
"This is a 5-star recruit who was a disappointment until he finally put it together this past season."

This is always a red flag for me. The guy is very gifted and could have done better sooner. So why didn't he? Maybe he is lazy and not focused enough. Maybe in his final season he decided to focus and work harder to get drafted higher and make more money. I want to find guys who love football and work their butts off from day 1 because they love football.
Yeah, it's interesting, right? The things I've read basically indicate that he was over-aggressive and had poor technique; that he focused more on burying a guy than on being in the right position, and more on his physical traits than his hand placement and body positioning. Why did it take so long for him to cut the bad habits and get it together? I don't know. I'd guess that the coaching change midway through his time likely had an effect; maybe the previous regime didn't hold him accountable and the new guys came in and cleaned him up, but it took a year?

But for OL, I'll take over-aggressive as the baseline over the alternative.

But I totally understand that sort of trepidation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

This is an F for me for resigning Lewis.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Feb 2023 11:11
This is an F for me for resigning Lewis.
Careful ;)
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

holy molly Yoho, two of the higher rated TE's in the draft, your drinking some strange brew :lol: lots to ponder here.
I'd like to see a upgrade of Preston Smith at edge rusher if 1 of the top 3 falls to our 15 slot, if not, then possibly a real enforcer at safety, who I think Branch could possibly be, imo he seems rangy and very aggressive, something we missed last year with the decline of Amos.

busy, more later :aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I all seriousness I don’t like Musgrave enough to spend a first on him. Great athlete and size but I’m not sure he’s a total package TE like I would want in the first. I do really like Washington but I feel like both TEs win with their size down the field. I have really liked pairing LaPorta and Washington lately as one is you big TE that can block and push the seam while LaPorta can work underneath and make plays after catch. It’s very Gronk and Hernandez like.

Love Wright and Brown. Wright should be a good RT ready to start. Brown I think is a star in the making. I expect him to do really well at the combine.

I also like Tillman but I don’t think he does anything with what we already have unless we want a big slot which I’m just not a fan of. Especially with the TEs in this draft already. We need someone who can win early in the route and get us a quick first down.

Trey Dean is on my watch list at S. Honestly I think this is a very deep safety class the more I research. I like both Florida safeties quite a bit with Torrence also.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I really love Karl Brooks, but not sure I’d trust this staff to get him in a position to be successful. Kind of had Mike Neal vibes to me. Too small and too big for differing things we might ask him to do. But I don’t doubt he can be really successful in this league in a good fit.

I would love Keenan Allen, but i kind of doubt he’d be interested in coming here. And I don’t think we can offer enough to make it an easier decision for him.

I’m not a fan of releasing or trading Bak, he’s still elite when he’s out there. Really looks like he got past the knee stuff hopefully, and I doubt he has a second appendix. Guess I wouldn’t expect him to play 17 games, but I also can’t think of a current reason why he would miss a game.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

2 TE's in the first two rounds...?

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Feb 2023 11:19
I all seriousness I don’t like Musgrave enough to spend a first on him. Great athlete and size but I’m not sure he’s a total package TE like I would want in the first. I do really like Washington but I feel like both TEs win with their size down the field. I have really liked pairing LaPorta and Washington lately as one is you big TE that can block and push the seam while LaPorta can work underneath and make plays after catch. It’s very Gronk and Hernandez like.

Love Wright and Brown. Wright should be a good RT ready to start. Brown I think is a star in the making. I expect him to do really well at the combine.

I also like Tillman but I don’t think he does anything with what we already have unless we want a big slot which I’m just not a fan of. Especially with the TEs in this draft already. We need someone who can win early in the route and get us a quick first down.

Trey Dean is on my watch list at S. Honestly I think this is a very deep safety class the more I research. I like both Florida safeties quite a bit with Torrence also.
Honestly, I also don't like Musgrave as a first; I just think he very well might be anyway and he really screams to me the type of prospect we value, for better and for worse. I'm trying to convince myself to be ok with it in the event that it happens. I mean huge men who catch the ball and have incredible athletic testing are sort of our bread and butter (though usually not this early). The thing about TEs in general is that they rarely contribute as rookies, and they always have a lot to learn. These two picks are more for 2024-26 than for 2023 which is a tough pill to swallow, but in Love's first year, it feels to me the right time to sacrifice time for upside.

I agree about needing more of a quick winner as route runners, which speaks to Tillman, Iosivas, Musgrave, and Washington picks. I think because I went with my preferred guys at each one, I also wound up ignoring some secondary options who might help alleviate that. Like if we had Jayden Reed and Iosivas or Tillman and Tyler Scott or Hutchinson and Parker Washington or something like that, it's probably a better balance. But my thinking is actually that Doubs is that guy and Toure can maybe be that guy. Both are quick and have good releases. I also love Bo Melton as a prospect and wanted him in last year's draft, but I haven't really seen what he can do.

Anyway, very fair critiques. I basically agree. But also think it would work out fine as it is, or could be slightly amended to work out better.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 11:22
I really love Karl Brooks, but not sure I’d trust this staff to get him in a position to be successful. Kind of had Mike Neal vibes to me. Too small and too big for differing things we might ask him to do. But I don’t doubt he can be really successful in this league in a good fit.

I would love Keenan Allen, but i kind of doubt he’d be interested in coming here. And I don’t think we can offer enough to make it an easier decision for him.
Interesting critique about trusting the staff. This is not the same staff that had Mike Neal, but I can see what you're saying to some degree. I think it doesn't have to be that complicated. If he shadows Reed and we slide him in as the exact same player, he can do those things. Down the line, as he gets a better feel for the game, maybe he gets used more creatively or moved around. But he's not at all too small to be a pure DT.

And yeah, Allen is the ideal scenario here. I'm not sure how much he'll fetch given his age and recent injury history, but I want someone who is a route running master in that room. I'm HUGE on having veteran leadership that the young guys respect enough to want to mirror and mimic and compete to be more like. It's not "coaching" as some like to say could replace it; lead-by-example veterans who can be instructive on how to carry yourself and work as a professional are super valuable; we usually whine when we don't have it, and say it's superfluous or overrated when we do.

But Allen is the best example of that (potentially) available. Jarvis Landry and Robert Woods can be my backup plans, but they're a huge step down.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 23 Feb 2023 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with that YoHo.

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Feb 2023 11:41
Sounds like you had a lot of fun with that YoHo.

:-)
I always do!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 11:22
I’m not a fan of releasing or trading Bak, he’s still elite when he’s out there. Really looks like he got past the knee stuff hopefully, and I doubt he has a second appendix. Guess I wouldn’t expect him to play 17 games, but I also can’t think of a current reason why he would miss a game.
Totally undertsandable. I think that the Packers and most people would agree with you.

For me it's more just clearing the cap and getting the youth movement under way. I truly think that both Tom and Nijman are solid LT options, with Tom having a very high upside as only a 2nd year player--but that neither is a good fit on the right side. I think that Bakh would be a better LT in 2023 than either of them, but Tom will be a very good LT very soon and that the cap savings and cutting the chaffe are an important part of moving forward into the next era from a cap perspective.

You said you're not sure we can afford Allen. We can if Bakh is gone. :lol:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Looks like you had a blast putting all of this together for our viewing pleasure. Thanks a million
Rather than comment on the 69 other moves you posted, I have decided to fixate on this one.
You made a good case ( $$) but I was not persuaded
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Feb 2023 09:40
Bakhtiari is traded or released in a cap savings move. I say "or released" because a guy coming off of so many injuries at this price tag might not fetch much.
Objection !

Over ruled !

We strenuously object !

Noted

And with great fervor !

I wouldn't move on from David AND even if GB did - there would be a line around the block to retain his services. Bak had a rough stretch ( to put it mildly ), but he's missed little time outside of this terrible episode. All of that is in the past per Bak and his MDs.The value of keeping him and Elgton together is immense - they are the OL anchor young Love needs to succeed. ( I would draft competition at RT though)

Nijman is a great swing OT, put him out there all season and they will work his weaknesses relentlessly.
Finding a swing OT in UDFA is already a huge win; let's not get greedy in asking him to hold down the LT spot long term.
That's a bridge too far imo.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Feb 2023 09:40
Round 5: Ricky Stromberg, C, 6'3" 310
Stromberg is that "he's big enough, strong enough, and moves just well enough that his intelligence and technique make him almost a sure thing. Maybe he'd be a sure thing to be a 10-year backup and spot starter. Maybe a sure thing enough that he wins a starting job. I'm torn how to approach center because I don't want to invest so much in the position that we're using high draft capital to unseat a 3rd-year 2nd round pick who very well may come around. But I can't stand pat with Myers, either.
The interior OL class this year is spotty, so draft stock is all over the place, but getting a "safe" pick on day 3 is a win.
That's a huge question isn't it ?
Previously, GB was fine shopping for OCs much later in draft, now they invested a 2nd and that colors the assessment a bit. I had confidence in Steno to coach him up, but I'm uncertain if Butkus is up to the task. Tough call - and investing a 5th seems a viable option to cover bases.
I've also noted that at one point Steno mentioned Zach Tom at OC and if that's the case- then there is already competition in house.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

He will be a 3rd year Pro. The move on train is a bit derailed at this point.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 13:19

I mean, I did specifically say I don't want to invest much to replace a 3rd-year 2nd-rounder who very well may come around. And the only comment about him in this thread agreed that spending a 5th round pick on a possibility is a fair compromise between trying to replace him and guarding ourselves for the downside. That's not a ton of "hate."
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 23 Feb 2023 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 13:19
Here's Mike Wahle spending 20+ minutes breaking down film on Josh Myers. Really well done
Yoho, sorry to derail your offseason thread, but its definitely worth checking out

https://youtu.be/fDsNv_gFxCE

The film review starts at around the 7:20 mark, tons of interesting teaching points and the take away is that Myers needs more work on technique- especially his footwork the run game - but he has all the tools to be a long term starting OC. Yoho spending a 5th to deepen the position seems prudent, spending more is premature.
IT. IS. TIME