Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Our cap situation is much better than most people here are thinking.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
27 Feb 2023 13:41
Bucs being "light years" better than 2020 Packers is an exaggeration. For most of the year, Green Bay was easily the better team. Bucs were alright in the regular season but finished second in their division, Brady did not have an MVP year despite having way better weapons.
we lost to the Bucs because we left points on the field, a bunch of dropped passes, 1 a sure 6 points another very likely would have been a TD as well, our teams relied mostly on our QB to win, problem is he throws the balls, he doesn't do the catching.

people want to skirt the issue, if not for Rodgers heroics during the season we lacked the talent to be in those PO games.

whats mind boggling to me is you and everyone else saw what Rodgers was capable of with 2 or 3 great receivers, without them according to some of you Rodgers sucks because he can't make jags as good as those great receivers

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2023 14:40

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2023/ - Just got got there over the last several weeks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Feb 2023 14:50
Labrev wrote:
Bucs being "light years" better than 2020 Packers is an exaggeration. For most of the year, Green Bay was easily the better team. Bucs were alright in the regular season but finished second in their division, Brady did not have an MVP year despite having way better weapons.
we lost to the Bucs because we left points on the field, a bunch of dropped passes, 1 a sure 6 points another very likely would have been a TD as well, our teams relied mostly on our QB to win, problem is he throws the balls, he doesn't do the catching.

people want to skirt the issue, if not for Rodgers heroics during the season we lacked the talent to be in those PO games.

whats mind boggling to me is you and everyone else saw what Rodgers was capable of with 2 or 3 great receivers, without them according to some of you Rodgers sucks because he can't make jags as good as those great receivers
You need to STOP taking EVERY conversation to this. It's off the rails. His post had NOTHING to do with Aaron Rodgers.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2023 15:00
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

You need to STOP taking EVERY conversation to this. It's off the rails. His post had NOTHING to do with Aaron Rodgers.
of course it had to do with Rodgers and receivers dropping passes, it is without a doubt the main reason we lost, Tampa had a better receiver situation, it made it easier for Brady to do well and for Tampa to Win.

IMO ya don't need the best roster to win, but it's a lot harder to do with one quality receiver and the rest a bunch of #3 and 4 receivers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Feb 2023 15:08
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2023 15:00
Yoop wrote:

of course it had to do with Rodgers and receivers dropping passes, it is without a doubt the main reason we lost, Tampa had a better receiver situation, it made it easier for Brady to do well and for Tampa to Win.

IMO ya don't need the best roster to win, but it's a lot harder to do with one quality receiver and the rest a bunch of #3 and 4 receivers.
He didn't even mention Rodgers or the receivers or why we lost...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:

I think looking at available cap space this time of year is one of the most useless data points to reference because it is a very easily manipulated measurable without any context.

Such as:

1. How many players are under contract?
2. What is the structure of the players under the current cap?
3. How much is comprised of active salary vs dead salary?
4. Are there key players or positions that are vacant or already filled that are making the cap look worse or better than the rest of the league?

It's just such a complicated thing to look solely at the available cap space.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2023 16:09
BF004 wrote:

I think looking at available cap space this time of year is one of the most useless data points to reference because it is a very easily manipulated measurable without any context.

Such as:

1. How many players are under contract?
2. What is the structure of the players under the current cap?
3. How much is comprised of active salary vs dead salary?
4. Are there key players or positions that are vacant or already filled that are making the cap look worse or better than the rest of the league?

It's just such a complicated thing to look solely at the available cap space.
Ya I mean we also just let like what…6 starters walk? Of course we need more cap space at this point than team who are only looking to replace a couple slots.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BSA wrote:
27 Feb 2023 12:52
Madcity_matt wrote:
27 Feb 2023 11:51
if your standard of success is being unequivocally the best team in the NFC you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment.
Indeed
I think that's why so many fans are so miserable all the time. They've led a self-induced lifetime of disappointment. By choice.
Hey, I'm willing to try it your way. Just let me know where to set the bar.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Half Empty wrote:
27 Feb 2023 16:44
BSA wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:
if your standard of success is being unequivocally the best team in the NFC you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment.
Indeed
I think that's why so many fans are so miserable all the time. They've led a self-induced lifetime of disappointment. By choice.
My goal is NOT to have the best team. My goal is to enjoy the team that I enjoy the most, win or lose. Their job is to win. My job is to watch them doing it. And if they don’t (I lived through the 80s and such with very bad Packer football), then I’ll still watch and enjoy much as I can.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Half Empty wrote:
BSA wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:
Indeed
It's not my way. It's your own happiness, you can set the bar wherever you want. Personally, I try not to have expectations. I watch every game every week and hope I enjoy it. I would like to have meaningful games in December. Last season was a disappointment but it still entertained me.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m actually cool with most levels of the “success” spectrum, or life cycles a team should go through.

I love a good rebuild if the team is actually rebuilding to something better

I’m good with a couple seasons after the rebuild the goal to be to “make the playoffs”

The “contender stage” type expectations like the Bills are in would be cool too for a couple seasons….

But cmon, when you have a HOF QB, an obsessed fan based, multiple APs on the field in different positions for all of the 2010s….one Super Bowl in a decade is very much a fair expectation to have.

I’m almost ready to move on because I want to witness the tear down and the resurrection and see expectations almost “normalize”, but ya the expectations aren’t over blown as it stands.

I mean we didn’t invent these expectations, the Murphy, Lafleur, and Rodgers tell us super bowls are the expectation every chance they get.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Feb 2023 16:50
Half Empty wrote:
BSA wrote:

Indeed
My goal is NOT to have the best team. My goal is to enjoy the team that I enjoy the most, win or lose. Their job is to win. My job is to watch them doing it. And if they don’t (I lived through the 80s and such with very bad Packer football), then I’ll still watch and enjoy much as I can.
Been following them since pre-Vince days. Have stated it many time before, but your reference to the 80s (and, of course, the 70s) brings it to the front again. With me, it's all about expectations - in the Gory years, I knew they weren't going to win much, so every game was the Super Bowl. When they beat (fill in the blank) or knocked (fill in the blank) out of contention or came close to beating one of the top dogs or...well, you get the picture, I was happy for a week. Since the 90s, they've usually been rated in the top tier, so JUST winning a bunch of games was expected and sort of ho-hum. Hey, what one enjoys is certainly a personal choice, but I don't really think it's a problem to hold them to the level of achievement that most of us agree they can attain and not to enjoy it when they fall short.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Madcity_matt wrote:
27 Feb 2023 17:18
Half Empty wrote:
BSA wrote:

Indeed
It's not my way. It's your own happiness, you can set the bar wherever you want. Personally, I try not to have expectations. I watch every game every week and hope I enjoy it. I would like to have meaningful games in December. Last season was a disappointment but it still entertained me.
Well said, just completely opposite of my situation (as you can see in another reply). And, your last sentence perhaps addresses another personal issue - if I'm disappointed in anything, I'm not entertained by it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Feb 2023 18:44
I’m actually cool with most levels of the “success” spectrum, or life cycles a team should go through.

I love a good rebuild if the team is actually rebuilding to something better

I’m good with a couple seasons after the rebuild the goal to be to “make the playoffs”

The “contender stage” type expectations like the Bills are in would be cool too for a couple seasons….

But cmon, when you have a HOF QB, an obsessed fan based, multiple APs on the field in different positions for all of the 2010s….one Super Bowl in a decade is very much a fair expectation to have.

I’m almost ready to move on because I want to witness the tear down and the resurrection and see expectations almost “normalize”, but ya the expectations aren’t over blown as it stands.

I mean we didn’t invent these expectations, the Murphy, Lafleur, and Rodgers tell us super bowls are the expectation every chance they get.
what would you expect those 3 to say? if perfection isn't your goal, then why did the powers that be hire you? seriously I think your confusing winning with just how difficult it is to win SB's given all the stumbling blocks to do so.
first not only does it take talent, but also the coaches knowing how to max out player production with schemes dedicated to set them up to succeed, second, if that player is injured someone has to step into that roll, so ya need very good backups as well, specially in key positions like QB, CB, RB, WR, Pass rushers, not having that is monumental, take starters away from any of those positions and your odds of a deep play off run or a SB trophy decline drastically, without a solid backup and you can forget it.

Injury's hurt us bad in every PO loss the last 3 years, I think people discount that, look at last years pass rush minus Gary, our secondary was able to handle the loss of Alexander in 2021 because of backup talent and very good pass rush.

normal expectations is what I hope from a Doctors report on my last physical exam, not concerning the future of the team I support, I always want to expect that this team is PO bound, and that if it makes it that far a few things go well and we win, I prefer the term remodeling versus rebuilding, meaning ya keep adding players each season as has been the NORMAL process the last 30 years, rebuilding is something ya do when the wind blows your house down :lol:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Half Empty wrote:
28 Feb 2023 09:14
Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Feb 2023 16:50
Half Empty wrote:

Been following them since pre-Vince days. Have stated it many time before, but your reference to the 80s (and, of course, the 70s) brings it to the front again. With me, it's all about expectations - in the Gory years, I knew they weren't going to win much, so every game was the Super Bowl. When they beat (fill in the blank) or knocked (fill in the blank) out of contention or came close to beating one of the top dogs or...well, you get the picture, I was happy for a week. Since the 90s, they've usually been rated in the top tier, so JUST winning a bunch of games was expected and sort of ho-hum. Hey, what one enjoys is certainly a personal choice, but I don't really think it's a problem to hold them to the level of achievement that most of us agree they can attain and not to enjoy it when they fall short.
Well, there were two games a year that meant more than any other... the Bears.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

packers.com with a piece on waiver claim OLB Justin Hollins

https://www.packers.com/news/5-things-t ... in-hollins

Here's his athletic profile:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/justin-hollins

He made a few plays last season and adds to the OLB room + STs
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Hollins was a nice rotational piece at EDGE, I am all for bringing him back on the cheap.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Gute comments on OL Zach Tom

“He’s versatile, like we like,” Gutekunst said of Zach Tom. “I thought coming out that his best spot might be center. I think he could do that very well. The way he played at tackle and guard this year maybe opened my eyes that he’s got maybe more potential there as well. Certainly, he’s going to be in the mix and competing for not only a starting spot, but if I’ve learned anything over my time, it’s that you better have seven.
You’re going to need all seven before the end of it.
Whether you call them starters or not-starters, you’re going to need seven by the time it’s done, and he’ll be one of those guys.”

Gute nailed that comment- Zach Tom played 489 snaps ( 44 %) in 2022.
from PFF: Zach Tom played 295 snaps at left tackle, 96 at left guard, 14 at right guard and 84 at right tackle during his rookie season.

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
28 Feb 2023 17:54
Gute comments on OL Zach Tom

“He’s versatile, like we like,” Gutekunst said of Zach Tom. “I thought coming out that his best spot might be center. I think he could do that very well. The way he played at tackle and guard this year maybe opened my eyes that he’s got maybe more potential there as well. Certainly, he’s going to be in the mix and competing for not only a starting spot, but if I’ve learned anything over my time, it’s that you better have seven.
You’re going to need all seven before the end of it.
Whether you call them starters or not-starters, you’re going to need seven by the time it’s done, and he’ll be one of those guys.”

Gute nailed that comment- Zach Tom played 489 snaps ( 44 %) in 2022.
from PFF: Zach Tom played 295 snaps at left tackle, 96 at left guard, 14 at right guard and 84 at right tackle during his rookie season.
I see Tom as the best option for LT of the future (which is why I'm neutral on Bakhtiari and his huge contract) and if y'all remember there was lots of "his best position may be C" talk about Bakh when he was drafted, as well. If they can play LT, you play them at LT. It's too valuable.

Right now, our top 7 would be (in no particular order) Bakh, Jenkins, Nijman, Tom, Myers, Runyan... Newman? Hansen? Rhyan? Looks like a draft pick comin'