Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:22
What other kind of contract would we expect a team to give a guy coming off two MVPs?
Didn't need to give him a new contract though. It was done to appease him, which is why there is some reason to be critical.
Why would we be harsh on Rodgers for 2022, when most of us anticipated a slow down to the Packer offense (with the rookies)?
It was a continuation of some existing issues that were exacerbated because of it along with what looked like an inability to adjust.
Why would we think Rodgers is in serious decline when he battled over several injuries, including throwing with a broken thumb?
It was more than any accuracy issues due to the thumb. There were decision making issues as well as issues with playing within a new look offense.

And yes, before a certain poster freaks out, there were pass catcher issues and offensive line issues that contributed as well.
Whether Rodgers plays in GB or someplace else in 2023, a lot of people are going to be surprised when he plays quite well. I’m not expecting a 2011 version of Rodgers. (His arm might be in slight decline and he surely doesn’t run like before.) But he’s going to be fine.
I think most believe that he will improve in 2023. However, that improvement may not be enough to justify the cost for Green Bay, knowing it also is very likely not enough to get a Super Bowl.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, I think there are maybe some people here who think Rodgers is totally washed, but very few.

Most of us seem to think that Rodgers can and will play just fine over the next 1-3 years. However, it seems that the team's offensive personnel may no longer be suited to Rodgers' strengths (basically meaning that we're young and inexperienced and Rodgers prefers guys he knows super well, trusts a lot, and who can make the same mental adjustments he does pre-snap) and think Rodgers' best remaining play is unlikely to be the difference between the Packers' success and failure next year as other factors.

Then you look at the cost, both his cap cost and the opportunity cost of letting Love go without seeing his potential on the field, and it seems like it makes the most sense to get compensation for our most valuable asset and re-set the team for another run with Love or someone else drafted in the next 14 months if Love doesn't look up to the task.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Those Rodgers comments with Dunn about 2019 indicate to me we are headed for open warfare

“I’ve been doubted”

“I was a game manager”….code for: “Lafleur wanted to run the ball and not throw deep on 3rd and 2”

“Then they drafted my replacement”

Move on at any cost Gute. You drafted Love, own your decision. Move on.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 12:10
Those Rodgers comments with Dunn about 2019 indicate to me we are headed for open warfare

“I’ve been doubted”

“I was a game manager”….code for: “Lafleur wanted to run the ball and not throw deep on 3rd and 2”

Eh, without context, yeah. But I think the full context reveals he's a bit more of two minds. Stating that he didn't know what he had left after 2019, for instance, stuck out to me. Rodgers always likes to perceive sights and seek motivation and inspiration from it, but overall this was an interview with a new age hippie about wellness in which he made some comments about his football career. I think that he has anger and resentment and a desire to prove the narrative wrong. But I also think he's seeking peace and living his life and focusing on his mindset and inner self more than Brian Gutekunst

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Today, Mike McCarthy said, “I still think Aaron Rodgers is playing top level football.”
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:32
Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:22
What other kind of contract would we expect a team to give a guy coming off two MVPs?
Didn't need to give him a new contract though. It was done to appease him, which is why there is some reason to be critical.
Why would we be harsh on Rodgers for 2022, when most of us anticipated a slow down to the Packer offense (with the rookies)?
It was a continuation of some existing issues that were exacerbated because of it along with what looked like an inability to adjust.
Why would we think Rodgers is in serious decline when he battled over several injuries, including throwing with a broken thumb?
It was more than any accuracy issues due to the thumb. There were decision making issues as well as issues with playing within a new look offense.

And yes, before a certain poster freaks out, there were pass catcher issues and offensive line issues that contributed as well.
Whether Rodgers plays in GB or someplace else in 2023, a lot of people are going to be surprised when he plays quite well. I’m not expecting a 2011 version of Rodgers. (His arm might be in slight decline and he surely doesn’t run like before.) But he’s going to be fine.
I think most believe that he will improve in 2023. However, that improvement may not be enough to justify the cost for Green Bay, knowing it also is very likely not enough to get a Super Bowl.
No worries. I posted those questions rhetorically. I really didn’t expect any answers directly to them. My point is that the Packers and Rodgers are doing the stuff that is, at some level, justifiable. And Rodgers’ performance last year had as much to do with things beyond his control as they did with his own issues.

Like Mike McCarthy said just today, Rodgers is still playing at “top level.” He does give us stuff to be disappointed about. But he’s still good. Not Mahommes good. But good.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Mar 2023 12:49
Today, Mike McCarthy said, “I still think Aaron Rodgers is playing top level football.”
and so do other people. people are saying some ...... stuff now, and over looking just how disfunctional our team was last year, does Rodgers need to play with receivers for 3 years to gain chemistry, or is it the receivers that need that time to finally get there routes consistently run, McCarthy, like most astute football people know if ya give Rodgers talented receivers that do run there routes on schedule Rodgers will deliver strikes.

I can't believe what I read here, so many are saying unfounded opinions about Rodgers to raise the value of moving on with Love.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 12:10

“I’ve been doubted”

why is it you have to create unfounded comments to slam Rodgers, Rodgers is on record saying we need to run the ball in both 017 and 018, also said we needed new offensive schemes, Lafleurs schemes where more complicated then McCarthy's, so there obviously is a adjustment period.

what went wrong in 2017 and 18 was what got the FO to finally fire MCcCarthy, he simply would not run the ball even when it was successful, and he had almost zero short ball schemes, his schemes didn't come close to taking advantage of the talent we did have.

why people continue to blame Rodgers for the fault of the GM and coaching is insane.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Scott4Pack wrote:
If I didn't know better, I'd say Mac is engaging in psychological warfare against a conference rival with this comment. :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:32
and thats all it was, a look like inability to adjust, any QB that had been doing things for 10 years would take time to adjust to bran new and more complicated schemes, that was such over blown garbage

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2023 13:05
Scott4Pack wrote:
and so do other people. people are saying some ...... stuff now, and over looking just how disfunctional our team was last year, does Rodgers need to play with receivers for 3 years to gain chemistry, or is it the receivers that need that time to finally get there routes consistently run, McCarthy, like most astute football people know if ya give Rodgers talented receivers that do run there routes on schedule Rodgers will deliver strikes.

I can't believe what I read here, so many are saying unfounded opinions about Rodgers to raise the value of moving on with Love.
But we need not diminish Rodgers to make a valid case to move on with Love. His merits have to stand on their own.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Mar 2023 13:42
But we need not diminish Rodgers to make a valid case to move on with Love. His merits have to stand on their own.
Fortunately, or unfortunately if one is making the argument, there is NO ONE here, not even [mention]Labrev[/mention], who is diminishing Rodgers to prop up Love.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

What am I missing here? If Rodgers wants to play under his current contract then his cap hit is $31mil, correct? His dead cap is enormous this year though, isn't it? If we trade him how do we get out of the dead cap hit?

I thought it was always better for the team if he either a)retires or b)plays one more year and then we give the keys to Love for 2024.

Why all this other speculation?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

packman114 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 14:19
What am I missing here? If Rodgers wants to play under his current contract then his cap hit is $31mil, correct? His dead cap is enormous this year though, isn't it? If we trade him how do we get out of the dead cap hit?

I thought it was always better for the team if he either a)retires or b)plays one more year and then we give the keys to Love for 2024.

A.) It's not as prohibitive as we once believed, and...
B.) It's worse if we wait until next year. The dead cap is worse.

Read More. Post Less.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 13:46
Scott4Pack wrote:
Fortunately, or unfortunately if one is making the argument, there is NO ONE here, not even @Labrev, who is diminishing Rodgers to prop up Love.
Eh, maybe TheSeptic has been guilty of this a few times. But yeah, pretty much I agree.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
Fortunately, or unfortunately if one is making the argument, there is NO ONE here, not even @Labrev, who is diminishing Rodgers to prop up Love.
get serious, you and a few others here have called Rodgers a choker, you and others here have said he was a below average QB and that Love would have done better in the conditions Rodgers had to deal with last year, utter speculation at best, for the last 4 years I've listened to you some others spout your bombastic opinions every time I brought up the stupidity of not furnacing Rodgers with better receiver talent.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
01 Mar 2023 14:23
packman114 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 14:19

A.) It's not as prohibitive as we once believed, and...
B.) It's worse if we wait until next year. The dead cap is worse.
All sources seem to be reporting that Rodgers is aware that his deal needs to be tinkered/changed/reworked regardless of which team he plays for, if he plays, to ease the cap situation for any/all teams involved.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2023 14:26
Pckfn23 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
get serious, you and a few others here have called Rodgers a choker, you and others here have said he was a below average QB and that Love would have done better in the conditions Rodgers had to deal with last year, utter speculation at best, for the last 4 years I've listened to you some others spout your bombastic opinions every time I brought up the stupidity of not furnacing Rodgers with better receiver talent.
I have gotten serious. No one here is diminishing Rodgers to prop up Love. That is just not happening.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 14:32
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I have gotten serious. No one here is diminishing Rodgers to prop up Love. That is just not happening.
seriously delusional, I'am not about to drag every post from those or you that openly said Love would have been a improvment over Rodgers, or that LOve would be the3 better QB this or any season, FFS Labrevs been saying it, Skeptic has shouted it in every post he brings and You said it too, just keep denying it.

you've been toning down the negatives because Rodgers might be back, and you'll want to be lock step with whatever the FO does, just sell your soul

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2023 14:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 14:32
Yoop wrote:

seriously delusional, I'am not about to drag every post from those or you that openly said Love would have been a improvment over Rodgers, or that LOve would be the3 better QB this or any season, FFS Labrevs been saying it, Skeptic has shouted it in every post he brings and You said it too, just keep denying it.

you've been toning down the negatives because Rodgers might be back, and you'll want to be lock step with whatever the FO does, just sell your soul
A criticism of Rodgers is simply that. Saying Love would be better for the team going forward than Rodgers is NOT diminishing Rodgers to prop up Love. NO ONE is criticizing Aaron Rodgers for the reason of propping up Jordan Love.