2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2023 12:05
Screenshot_20230227-120423.png
Flowers may not be "big" but I'd hardly characterize him as "frail", at least not based upon his physique or his style of play. He reminds me a lot of Steve Smith in how he plays "big" on the field. I like him a lot.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
28 Feb 2023 06:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
Flowers may not be "big" but I'd hardly characterize him as "frail", at least not based upon his physique or his style of play. He reminds me a lot of Steve Smith in how he plays "big" on the field. I like him a lot.
I really like Zay Flowers too. He just looks like a winner when I watch him. Not afraid to be physical. Does a great job catching the ball in traffic. Great after the catch.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Need to read through the thread, fun stuff.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
28 Feb 2023 06:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
Steve Smith is also my optimistic comp

Smith also loves this kid

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
28 Feb 2023 06:36
Need to read through the thread, fun stuff.

I’m so happy he did this. Draft podcast world has been annoying me to death with the “I mean how much does this really matter” narrative. And I’m like “ok but a lot?”

Also granted this was 2005, NO ONE at the combine was downplaying the athletic testing when I was there.

There are so many bad draft podcasts, guys. And so few good ones. It’s infuriating.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

If nobody listened to the podcasts, there wouldn't be any bad ones, and we could certainly get what we would have wanted from the good ones elsewhere.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Half Empty wrote:
28 Feb 2023 11:31
If nobody listened to the podcasts, there wouldn't be any bad ones, and we could certainly get what we would have wanted from the good ones elsewhere.
But if you don't explore all the podcasts, you can't find the good ones. So I cycle through all sorts to try to find something good.

Journey to the Draft by the Eagles media people is hands down the best, though this year the Senior and Srine bowl coverage was a lot more scant since the Eagles were in the Super Bowl. They have Ben Fennell and Dane Brugler as regulars, but also bring in all sorts of people from around the league and scouting community to get different opinions; they also bring in beat reporters from different teams to examine the trends and preferences of different teams/GMs around the league to get more insight into the different teams' details.

The Athletic Football Show gets good for draft time, but you have to wait until after the Super Bowl so they stop covering the league. I hate that it's a repeat of Dane Brugler for me in terms of getting a wider variety, but they have Lance Zierlein and someone else on there.

With the First Pick is hit and miss because they have a CBS draft analyst named Ryan Wilson who I'm not sure about but also Rick Spielman to give some insight from a recent GM. But they do a little too much on the "inside Spielman's career/process" chat and their favorite prospects start to get really redundant.

NFL Draft Stock Exchange is done by two of the PFF guys and I generally like it. They get a little silly and chatty at times and don't pick the best topics, but they put out a lot of content and definitely have different opinions than some of the more traditional outlets.

The Draft Dudes (Draft Network) and The Ringer NFL Draft Show are atrocious. These guys are just having fun. They go on absurd tangents and try to think of "creative ways to frame the same information" to stand out from the crowd instead of standing out with better information. Very few podcasts go beyond the QB and fist round narratives/players, so I tolerate the Draft Dudes for certain topics, but definitely don't subscribe nor would I rate them highly.

Each of the past four desperately need editors instead of playing straight through. They waste tons of times looking up info they should have prepared for live on the show.

ESPN's Mel Kiper and Todd McShay (First Draft?) is predictably just first round talk. Move the Sticks from NFL Network with Daniel Jeremiah and sometimes Bucky Brooks is fine, but also mostly top 50-based prospects and narratives.

I think that's my basic list/experience

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I know some of you have put together horizontal draft boards in the past
Here's one from The 33rd team, some interesting grades

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-draft/2023/draft-board/

Its interactive and there are several filters for sorting
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
23 Feb 2023 16:37
Wanted to bump this so I can find it easier.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BREAKING: arrest warrant issued for Jalen Carter in connection with a fatal car crash. :shock:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/ar ... a0be&ei=15

Reading one of the opening paragraphs... was he drag-racing or something?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Raiders draft pick incoming.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Be a shame if he drops to 15.

Sounds like it was some dumb, juvenile, choices, that had unfortunately severe consequences. More immaturity and bad luck, than anything malicious or repugnant.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
01 Mar 2023 10:59
BREAKING: arrest warrant issued for Jalen Carter in connection with a fatal car crash. :shock:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/ar ... a0be&ei=15

Reading one of the opening paragraphs... was he drag-racing or something?
Racing and badly losing that race:
An Atlanta Journal-Constitution report on Wednesday said that Carter, 21, told police he was about a mile away from the crash, and then later said he was following the car that had crashed.
Sorry, this isn't funny; people died. But it sure does sound like the two vehicles decided to go for a high-speed race through a trafficked area and the driver of at least the other vehicle racing was drunk and crashed and people died. Reckless driving and racing charges won't be all-consuming since the vehicle he was in/driving did not crash. But the fact that it is connected to a crash that was fatal sure does up the ante.

Not as bad as that Alabama bball player who drove to his buddy to deliver him the gun that was used to fatally shoot a couple people and left his car parked in a place that blocked the victims' vehicle in place, just to have the authorities say technically he broke no law... but similar in that his own irresponsible decision led to a death even if the legal consequences are likely to be mild. Rough situation.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 01 Mar 2023 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

As a result of my recent Patriot comment, threw one together.

Dugger has one year left on rookie contract and he's been a quality starter. Helps fill at least 1 immediate starter need. Looks like the Patriots have some depth at safety, so could be a nice tie-breaker for them to beat the Jets.

Then double dipping from the TCU O in rounds 1 and 2.

image.png
image.png (272.92 KiB) Viewed 511 times

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:28

Dugger has one year left on rookie contract and he's been a quality starter. Helps fill at least 1 immediate starter need. Looks like the Patriots have some depth at safety, so could be a nice tie-breaker for them to beat the Jets.
Nice! I like getting immediate help at S, and the top four picks are all guys I like. Johnston + Watson lol, good night.

Kinda skeptical we will get a 1st in this year's draft for Rodgers, I am expecting a 2.

But I really like having back-to-back picks in any round. :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:

Not what I would do with the first round picks, but like the compensation package.

I could see LVN being the type of EDGE the team likes, but he won't be ready to contribute fulltime for a while so I'm personally not a huge fan of the value there.

And I don't think Ivan Pace, Jr will be on the Packers' draft board; short and unathletic. The Packers care about metrics as much as any team out there, and he just doesn't meet NFL thresholds.

Be interesting to see which other CBs were available when you took Bennett. For a team that has two draftable CBs this year, they sure showed up on a ton of the WR highlight videos I looked at, haha. I can't remember who I saw score on Bennett but I made a mental note. Obviously, that's not an evaluation, but a vibe. I just like a bunch of potential mid-round CBs a bit more.

Obviously a big Avila fan and also LaPorta. And Q Johnson will surely have a place in this league. Lupe always makes a good point to focus on what guys can do not what they can't, and that's a big reason he was right about DK Metcalf and I was wrong (though honestly going 64th was even worse than I anticipated). But I'm still really concerned about Johnson's drops/hands for a guy that early.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:32
BF004 wrote:

Nice! I like getting immediate help at S, and the top four picks are all guys I like. Johnston + Watson lol, good night.

Kinda skeptical we will get a 1st in this year's draft for Rodgers, I am expecting a 2.

But I really like having back-to-back picks in any round. :mrgreen:
Thanks!

I was kind of basing it off of a swap of their 1st and our 3rd. Surely still has a 1st round value at some level, but the Patriots still get their pick in this draft, just of lesser value.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:37
BF004 wrote:

Not what I would do with the first round picks, but like the compensation package.

I could see LVN being the type of EDGE the team likes, but he won't be ready to contribute fulltime for a while so I'm personally not a huge fan of the value there.

And I don't think Ivan Pace, Jr will be on the Packers' draft board; short and unathletic. The Packers care about metrics as much as any team out there, and he just doesn't meet NFL thresholds.

Be interesting to see which other CBs were available when you took Bennett. For a team that has two draftable CBs this year, they sure showed up on a ton of the WR highlight videos I looked at, haha. I can't remember who I saw score on Bennett but I made a mental note. Obviously, that's not an evaluation, but a vibe. I just like a bunch of potential mid-round CBs a bit more.

Obviously a big Avila fan and also LaPorta. And Q Johnson will surely have a place in this league. Lupe always makes a good point to focus on what guys can do not what they can't, and that's a big reason he was right about DK Metcalf and I was wrong (though honestly going 64th was even worse than I anticipated). But I'm still really concerned about Johnson's drops/hands for a guy that early.
Don't follow college ball closely and potential/mock drafts at all, but I've had a question when I see them posted. Why would one pick a player that results in a C- grade?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Half Empty wrote:
01 Mar 2023 11:57
Don't follow college ball closely and potential/mock drafts at all, but I've had a question when I see them posted. Why would one pick a player that results in a C- grade?
The mock draft modules have their own rankings. BF has his own rankings. If he likes a guy a bit more than the module; or if a certain position is getting picked dry due to algorithmic team needs, you may end up taking a player higher than the module thinks you should. But that could just as easily mean the module is bad as it could mean the pick was bad.

Honestly the modules--especially pre-combine--are going to be way off on draft stock and draft status. They're updated every now and then. Guys who love draft coverage have much more up-to-date or individualized information and opinions.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The phrase of th week for QB-needy teams seems to be "that can come in all shapes and sizes."

Coaches and GMs are pre-justifying taking the (presumably) smallest QB ever drafted in the first 3 rounds in the top 5