2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Zay smaller than I was hoping, bad hand size too.

Average jumping, great 40 though.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

5092 for Flowers

Stupid NFL just reporting 5’9”, do get sick of these ‘sources’ not reporting actual heights.

Steve Smith comps getting stronger and stronger.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Anthony Richardson is a freak.

I’d stick him at TE and frequently run the TE option pass :P

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
04 Mar 2023 14:31
Anthony Richardson is a freak.

I’d stick him at TE and frequently run the TE option pass :P
The Packernet podcast guy called him a defensive end who can throw the ball 70 yards which I thought was funny.

I think you sit Richardson a year and work his mechanics and designs a scheme around what he can do like what the Eagles did with Hurts and he’s the best QB in the class. He’s got too many traits. He was just a redshirt Sophomore so the mental mistakes make sense.

I’m not trusting a small QB like Young. We have seen a string of them go recently and none of them can take the beating like Brees could. Murray, Tua, and Baker all got killed.

Levis has been around and he still stinks at decision making. Stroud I think is going to be a mid tier QB. He’s got good athleticism, a decent arm, decent decision making. I think he’s gonna struggle at the pro level early though when the competition gap shrinks.

Right now I would say it goes Richardson, Stroud, Young, Levis.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, to preempt some pushback, my speed comments are in reference to DBs. It's not the same for WRs, for several reasons, but two key ones here.
- First, you can see route running a lot more easily than you can "see" football IQ, particularly due to the unknowns of college schemes and what players are asked to do.
- Second, WRs are on offense; they know where they are going and can run freely to the spot. DBs have to react and still get there faster, so a guy will need more speed and/or better angles (or have to be so football smart that he anticipates before he has to react)

It's much more common to get a "special" WR who runs in the 4.5s (Adams, Hopkins, for instance) than a special safety who does, in my opinion of what special means.

I've always thought the "if he isn't fast enough for CB, play him at safety" idea was flawed. To me it's "if he doesn't have the mirror and change-of-direction for CB, play him at safety." But the speed still matters.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

For reference

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

BF004 wrote:
04 Mar 2023 19:40

Ok I'm warming up haha. I've been on the pass wagon but he's kewl now 🤣

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Who is this Zack kuntz fella?? 😳

Man the combine numbers are jaw dropping then I read the bio and he's very weak and doesn't move well. Old Dominion YouTube here I come

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Johnston, jsn, hyatt are my top 3 at wr - not sure order atm.

One of them will hopefully be there at 15.

With this weak safety class only other pick I could see is OT.

Michael Mayer real nice but would hurt to draft a te that high.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
04 Mar 2023 20:55
Who is this Zack kuntz fella?? 😳

Man the combine numbers are jaw dropping then I read the bio and he's very weak and doesn't move well. Old Dominion YouTube here I come
It’s like I don’t even matter to you haha
YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Feb 2023 12:35

If he’s still there in the 7th I want Old Dominion’s Zach Kuntz. He’s massive, 6’8” 255. He’s raw so he likely needs practice squad. He’sa better receiver than blocker at this point despite his size. And his team’s offense basically only worked when he was on the field. I would flip for this guy to have a year learning from Big Dawg
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Feb 2023 09:40
Round 7
With 4 picks, I'm going to list some possible guys who may or may not be available here. Mostly some practice squad considerations for you:

TE Zack Kuntz, 6'8" 250 - was a game wrecker for Old Dominion but coming off of an ACL tear
7th seems like a dream now though

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

:thwap: :lol:

I don't know how I missed this. Good find Yoho. I was watching some of his highlights last night. He's a gazelle. Might go down a little easy but so much to like

I'm embarrassed you mentioned him more then once and jealous I didn't find him months ago ha

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Darnell Washington with a 4.65 at 266 and 6'7+" with that highlight 1-handed grab?

Do we have a drooling emoji? I think I need a drooling emoji.

Sam LaPorta earned his reputation as a guy we Packers fans liked. Great timing and workouts today.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

JSN had an awesome combine.

I remain intrigued with him at 15. Kind of don’t care about his 40, if he ever runs it. He put up outstanding other numbers. Cooper Kupp was a 4.62 guy.

JSN’s cod is off the charts.

Damn

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

JSN looked slick in the position drills I saw, as well. He did everything he could to improve his stock, honestly (probably including not running). I totally get being hesitant to sprint full speed after missing a year of your playing life to hamstring injuries, but at some point, he'll need to be willing to open it up (as a player, not a tester). I agree that his 40 isn't that important for the kind of receiver he is. Would I LIKE him to be 4.55 or below? Certainly. But will it really matter? not really, no.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BTW guys, CJ Stroud is my QB1 in this class.

I get the Levis/Richardson upside but they're huge risks. Bryce Young is so small. He'd be such a historical outlier; another huge risk.

CJ Stroud is not only the safest early QB pick, the only one you don't have the have a specific developmental plan and scheme for, and the the most ready to play... but he has as much upside as anyone does. The physical tools have never created the most elite QBs. It's the processing and the arm talent combined. Stroud has the best accuracy, the most natural and fluid passing motion, the best current mechanics, and has shown that once he settles in and fully understands the offense and his supporting cast, he can act creatively and off schedule. That last part of his game is the only part that needs developing, and that's just a natural development over time.

I just think the kid's floor is above average starter and his ceiling can get you championships. It's a no-brainer to me that he would go first, and yet I strongly doubt he will.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I know that VERY few people do the agility drills at the combine (I think agents have them strain for speed and explosion leading up to the combine and then can focus on agility and flexibility between the combine and pro day to maximize both numbers).

But it's still wild that 2 of the 4 fastest short shuttles regardless of position come from TEs over 6'6" and at least 255 pounds
image.png
image.png (98.03 KiB) Viewed 564 times

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
04 Mar 2023 14:26
5092 for Flowers

Stupid NFL just reporting 5’9”, do get sick of these ‘sources’ not reporting actual heights.

Wasn't Smith like 20 pounds heavier?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
05 Mar 2023 15:10
BF004 wrote:
04 Mar 2023 14:26
5092 for Flowers

Wasn't Smith like 20 pounds heavier?
Nope, pretty much exact same. Without checking I think Zay has him by 3 lbs.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Oh.

Oh hey there

image.png
image.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 533 times