2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Appears the Packers will have 6 picks in the 7th round. 3 are projected COMP picks. The other 3 look to be locked in. :messedup:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm officially back on the Jaxon Smith-Njigba hype train

My primary post-combine takeaway is: god, I hope we can get him at 15

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I was lukewarm on JSN pre-Combine, seemed like a nice player, but I didn't find anything about him athletically enticing.

post-Combine, I'm in. That's some enticing COD on a good-sized receiver. :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Mar 2023 15:08
I'm officially back on the Jaxon Smith-Njigba hype train

My primary post-combine takeaway is: god, I hope we can get him at 15
I think I could be comfortable with any of JSN, Johnston and Flowers at 15.

Johnston smaller than advertised, JSN maybe 50/50 he’s there at 15, Johnston maybe 80% chance, Flowers almost assuredly.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
06 Mar 2023 15:18
I was lukewarm on JSN pre-Combine, seemed like a nice player, but I didn't find anything about him athletically enticing.

post-Combine, I'm in. That's some enticing COD on a good-sized receiver. :mrgreen:
Multiple people are saying his positions drills are either the best they've seen at the position or the best since Jefferson.

I was WAY in on him when he was done for the season, thinking maybe the injury would push him deep enough in the draft that we could get him.

Then I started reading the "not really an elite/explosive athlete" takes and worried I'd misjudged.

Then the combine and I was like "oh, are they just talking about his pure speed? I'm fine with that being average/mediocre given what else I've seen.

So there I am.

JSN and Nolan Smith are my two favorites at 15

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Mar 2023 15:32
Labrev wrote:

Multiple people are saying his positions drills are either the best they've seen at the position or the best since Jefferson.
Oh lord you've done it now.... :lol: :P
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
06 Mar 2023 15:41
YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Mar 2023 15:32
Labrev wrote:

Oh lord you've done it now.... :lol: :P
I think what he is trying to say, is 2 picks after JSN goes, we should trade up a QB.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t think JSN goes past 14. He’s perfect for Belichick who needs receiver help badly and JSN does everything better than what those classic Patriots receivers do.

He’s been my guy since the draft process started. I thought before the season he would go top 10 until he got hurt. Now I think he still might.

He’s a better Amon Ra St Brown who I compared to a worse Davante Adams. Kupp is probably a better comparison. Just elite ability to get open and make plays with the ball. I couldn’t care less about his deep speed when we already have guys that win down the field. Plus he run blocks well.

I do think Johnston still goes first because he’s your typical big receiver who can win down the field which will almost have infinitely more value than someone who can win quickly underneath.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Best copy and pasteable tracking I've seen, one of the only ones with actual height.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023-nfl-scou ... s-tracker/

And for comparison:
image.png
image.png (779.37 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Kind of wish that had hand size and arm length on there, or the average at least.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
06 Mar 2023 16:31
Best copy and pasteable tracking I've seen, one of the only ones with actual height.
:clap: :king: :pray:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Mar 2023 16:35
BF004 wrote:
06 Mar 2023 16:31
:clap: :king: :pray:
yes, thank you.. :clap: :clap:

I like the comparisons, and knowing the average per position :aok:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Per Peter Bukowski, the TE RAS scores
image.png
image.png (112.5 KiB) Viewed 593 times
:kaboom:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Steve Avila would be an athletic outlier in a couple categories from Green Bay's typical draft pick benchmarks.

That doesn't mean he's not on the list; as you can see, Cole Madison was drafted in Gutey's first year despite having similar shortcomings. And Newman got through with a sub-par 3-cone.
image.png
image.png (28.96 KiB) Viewed 572 times

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Mar 2023 19:40
Steve Avila would be an athletic outlier in a couple categories from Green Bay's typical draft pick benchmarks.

That doesn't mean he's not on the list; as you can see, Cole Madison was drafted in Gutey's first year despite having similar shortcomings. And Newman got through with a sub-par 3-cone.

image.png
I’ve got no interest in Avila. He probably goes 2nd round, he’s not that athletic. And will be close to 24 as a rookie. Pass.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Packers Wire with their ALL- RAS team

Below I’ve compiled a list of which players from each position group posted a RAS of at least 8.0, along with some observations from the combine. To take this one step further, using two articles from Daire Carragher of Packer Report as references, I’ll further cross players off the list if they don’t meet other thresholds that Green Bay often adheres to.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... -combine/?
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... l-combine/
With the 2023 NFL Combine now in the books, here is a position-by-position look at the top performers, which very much pertains to the Green Bay Packers.

Relative Athletic Score is something that fans of the Packers should be familiar with. While I don’t imagine that Brian Gutekunst is scrolling Kent Lew Platte’s website, there is a connection between his selections and how well they score on the RAS scale.

In short, RAS takes all of the measurements and drills from the NFL combine or a Pro Day and computes an easily comparable score that ranges from 0 to 10, with 10 being the elite of the elite. Because it is relative to each specific position group, a running back and a defensive tackle can have the same RAS, even though they will test and measure quite differently. These figures can also be compared historically and not only within the current year’s draft class.

The reason that this is noteworthy for the Packers is that during Gutey’s tenure as GM, he has made 42 RAS-eligible draft picks, with 30 of them posting better than 8.0 and 18 above 9.0. Although there are exceptions to the rule, typically, if a player scores below 8.0, they aren’t going to end up as Packers.

Below I’ve compiled a list of which players from each position group posted a RAS of at least 8.0, along with some observations from the combine. To take this one step further, using two articles from Daire Carragher of Packer Report as references, I’ll further cross players off the list if they don’t meet other thresholds that Green Bay often adheres to.

Trying to figure out who Green Bay is going to select, especially under Gutekunst, can be a nearly impossible task, but hopefully, by going through this exercise, we narrow the list of prospects down and highlight a few potential future members of the Packers...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel like i want to wait until the pro day circuit and agility tests to really buy into the RAS scores. It's a nice feature of the metric that you can calculate them with incomplete information, but I feel like someone who is great for what they've done but untested for some key metrics is not necessarily great athletically.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I could see a qb in the 2nd if one falls. Similar to brohm with Rodgers.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
09 Mar 2023 04:07
I’d prefer a 7th round QB. Similar to Matt Flynn with Rodgers

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Mar 2023 04:41
bud fox wrote:
09 Mar 2023 04:07
I’d prefer a 7th round QB. Similar to Matt Flynn with Rodgers
I am not even certain the Packers will have a 2nd round pick after the Rodgers trade. But for certain, the Packers are going to have a 7th round pick for a QB.