Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:59
Any chance of a separate AR/Jets thread?
Knock yourself out, just create a poll guessing on compensation. :cigar:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Mar 2023 12:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:58

Hard to argue with what's said here. Could you please use real numbers regarding contracts? My understanding is that every dollar that's put off is a full dollar charged later.
Simply, the cap continues to go up.
Agree that it is normally a negative interest loan. Unless we get another COVID and the stadiums are empty again.
you have a goal post to move no matter what anyone says.

seems to me it's best if GB keeps kicking Rodgers dead money into future years as much as possible, zero interest loans or even small interest loans offer no rewards for early payoff, there is a insanity going on here for Balanced budget, when in actuality balancing the books with Rodgers right now appears to cost more.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
07 Mar 2023 12:16
TheSkeptic wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Agree that it is normally a negative interest loan. Unless we get another COVID and the stadiums are empty again.

seems to me it's best if GB keeps kicking Rodgers dead money into future years as much as possible, zero interest loans or even small interest loans offer no rewards for early payoff, there is a insanity going on here for Balanced budget, when in actuality balancing the books with Rodgers right now appears to cost more.
I think the idea with Rodgers contract in particular is it's a big bite whenever you take it. If you wait, Rodgers stays, you have much more uncertainty about future years as we will (100% guaranteed) be having the same conversations next spring about him, and a similar bill that will have to paid if he retires. I favor moving on now not because I am obsessed with balancing the budget, but it gives us a much less uncertainty about a large percentage of our cap for next year. If GB can make a trade, we bite the bullet now. I'm much more amiable to the idea of spreading some money out into the future on guys who will almost certainly be a part of that future (a healthy Gary for instance.)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Do I just need to keep copying and pasting this?
Yoop wrote:
07 Mar 2023 09:15
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Mar 2023 08:49
go pak go wrote:
07 Mar 2023 08:45
F that.

We have plenty of 2023 cap space. Get the QB off the books. I'm sick of paying for players who weren't on the roster longer a season ago. We have pushed back so much money into 2024 and beyond that we can absorb the extra $8 million to trade Rodgers now and have it hit the books now.
We actually don't, though? We have like $11 million in cap space and if we take an additional $8 million hit, we'll have $3 million

Not to mention that for reasons I don't fully understand because this contract is weird, the money isn't the same in either scenario, just in different years. Maybe the cap sites are missing something in their post-June 1st calculation, but it seems to be not just a matter of when.

Generally, I agree with you about being sick of kicking cans. But post-June 1st isn't like 3 void years. And taking a $40M hit for a guy not on the roster isn't a typical "eat it and move on" sized chunk.

The money issues are a big part of making this deal difficult to do.
Rodgers has said he's willing to re negotiate that pay off amount, how true, and for how much is any ones guess, my point is I think a substantial amount would help this deal get done.
Any renegotiation would be with the new team.

The $40 million in dead cap we have to absorb is based on money we already paid him but did recognize in cap hit up to league year 2022. That's why it's dead money.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Mar 2023 12:44
Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Mar 2023 08:49

We actually don't, though? We have like $11 million in cap space and if we take an additional $8 million hit, we'll have $3 million

Not to mention that for reasons I don't fully understand because this contract is weird, the money isn't the same in either scenario, just in different years. Maybe the cap sites are missing something in their post-June 1st calculation, but it seems to be not just a matter of when.

Generally, I agree with you about being sick of kicking cans. But post-June 1st isn't like 3 void years. And taking a $40M hit for a guy not on the roster isn't a typical "eat it and move on" sized chunk.

The money issues are a big part of making this deal difficult to do.
Rodgers has said he's willing to re negotiate that pay off amount, how true, and for how much is any ones guess, my point is I think a substantial amount would help this deal get done.

The $40 million in dead cap we have to absorb is based on money we already paid him but did recognize in cap hit up to league year 2022. That's why it's dead money.
got that, my point was to treat it like a zero interest loan and spread the cost ( 40 mil.) out a few years, that way the hit wont be felt as bad as the whole lump 40 mil. would if paid in full this season.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 13:26
I would say this is escalating quickly.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lmao, never thought I’d live through these days again. So nostalgic.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
07 Mar 2023 13:12
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Yoop wrote:

got that, my point was to treat it like a zero interest loan and spread the cost ( 40 mil.) out a few years, that way the hit wont be felt as bad as the whole lump 40 mil. would if paid in full this season.
That only gets spread more if he stays, but then the bill goes up as you have to pay him for next season as well. It’s due this year if he is traded but there will be no hit after this year.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Unless the potential deal gets side-tracked, I guess 12 will become a Jet within the week. It probably occurs before FA begins. Isn’t that in six days or so?

To me, this proves the Pack is confident and ready to roll with 10. If they weren’t they would hold 12 for another season. There wouldn’t be a convo between Jets and 12.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:58

Hard to argue with what's said here. Could you please use real numbers regarding contracts? My understanding is that every dollar that's put off is a full dollar charged later.
Yes, that Covid stuff burned everyone. Although I’m not sure if teams used the void years before like they do now. Or if they ever could do that before Covid, or if that was a change.

However if I’m a GM, can’t imagine risking putting out a lesser roster to keep a contingent for our next national emergency.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:02
BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:57
Still expecting this man to remember Mac Jones is his QB and he only has a handful of years left coaching and come storming in.

**snip**
I hope you're right. I have a tough time believing he would normally want a guy described as "high-maintenance, low-commitment" (emphasis on the second part) running his offense, or just being part of a team built around the "Patriot Way" culture.

But I can't count out pure desperation over his current QB situation.
Randy Moss
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
07 Mar 2023 14:09
Yoop wrote:
07 Mar 2023 13:12
go pak go wrote:

That only gets spread more if he stays, but then the bill goes up as you have to pay him for next season as well. It’s due this year if he is traded but there will be no hit after this year.
communication breakdown, My cousin Vinny movie pops into mind :rotf: what I'am attempting to say is, do we have to square the books with Rodgers if we trade him this season? orrrrr can we pro rate this 40 mil cap hit a little over the next 4 or 5 years, that way we wont feel the hit so much this season? :idn:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we trade him this year, all $40 hits the cap this year. And that’s just money we already gave him, just finally need to mark it on the books.

Unless we do it after June 1st, then we spread it out between this year and next, depending what is supposed to be ‘23, then all else is ‘24.

I can’t remember what it is for sure without looking it up. But we won’t trade him after June 1st.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 14:01
Lmao, never thought I’d live through these days again. So nostalgic.

They should bring Brad Childress along for old times sake.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

It would be hilarious if it turns out they're going to meet with Jimmy G!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

packman114 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 17:37
It would be hilarious if it turns out they're going to meet with Jimmy G!
The Jets don't fly to see Jimmy G; Jimmy G flies to see the Jets. 8-)
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Despite [mention]Yoop[/mention] constantly saying i just hate Rodgers…I want to put it out there that my change in tune is fairly new.

I was the one who constantly said “you’d hate to see this team without Rodgers” in the late McCarthy years…and even all the way until last year! My big thing was…you wanna turn the page? Be careful what you wish for…

But it’s a lot different now. Taking every penny he can, plus demanding we roster scrubs, not showing up or working with the young guys at all, the drug addiction, constantly threatening to retire…all to miss the playoffs?? Lol no.

It’s year 4 for Love. The team says he’s amazing now. Happened all of a sudden. Wink wink.

I don’t know if I believe that or not, but I’m ready to see for myself.

Lafleurs regular season record is amazing. I am VERY excited to see what he can do with 12 out of building. Maybe he flourishes?? Maybe he folds? Who knows. But seeing that actually excites me.

The Tuesday rodgers book club on mcafee after a big loss just doesn’t do it for me anymore…
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ok, who are you and what did you do with the real DrJ?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The Rodgers dilemma is truly unfortunate because I believe with semi competent front office personnel we dont end up down this path.

Rodgers felt like he was being screwed by the organization because they couldnt make the right decisions which has proven to be true. He felt he needed to take matters into his own hands and force the organization to get guys he wanted which also happened to be terrible decisions. I mean if you just go back and not make that stupid pick for Love and just get Rodgers some help we aren’t trading for Cobb. We don’t have Lazard on the field for the 2020 NFC championship game making every mistake possible. We save ourselves a ton of cap space and we aren’t left with poop all over our hands when Adams wants to leave.
Cancelled by the forum elites.