Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 09:16
But that isn't a simple fact... That isn't even remotely a fact.
2021 - Adams 169 targets w/ Rodgers 531 attempts - 31.8%
2020 - Adams 149 targets w/ Rodgers 526 attempts - 28.3%
So Rodgers forced us to get old man Cobb, to have a guy he can tRuSt at WR... only to throw to Adams 3.5% more the next year. :messedup: :thwap:

This guy....
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 09:28
That said, if they knew they wanted to move on. And they knew they were "done", why didnt Love play when the thumb broke? Would have been a perfect excuse to actually see what he can do. It would have given us clarity for how the QB would perform without Rodgers in 2023, would have given clarity on the 5th year option, and we could see how much we really need Rodgers, Love, or someone else.

Point being, if true they knew they were moving on...they had the perfect opportunity to play Love and they should have.
:clap:

I will never understand not playing Love when Rodgers broke his thumb.

I don’t agree with your conclusions about propaganda or hiding. But I don’t understand it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I also want to throw it out there that I think the biggest sticking point moving forward is that Rodgers isn’t going to want to give the Jets a 2-year commitment and the Jets will say they only want him if he does.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 09:37
Drj820 wrote:
That said, if they knew they wanted to move on. And they knew they were "done", why didnt Love play when the thumb broke? Would have been a perfect excuse to actually see what he can do. It would have given us clarity for how the QB would perform without Rodgers in 2023, would have given clarity on the 5th year option, and we could see how much we really need Rodgers, Love, or someone else.

Point being, if true they knew they were moving on...they had the perfect opportunity to play Love and they should have.

I don’t agree with your conclusions about propaganda or hiding. But I don’t understand it.
AR still could function and play better than Love at that point in time. AR is still the much better QB and will be in 2023 and probably 2024. But it seems Gute is following the "get rid of a guy a year too early is better than keeping him a year too long" mentality here. Plus he knows Love is gone if he sits this year and he will never see what he had (I think this is what is REALLY driving the push to move on from AR).

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I disagree with everything in that post [mention]wallyuwl[/mention]

It’s already a year too late.

Aaron Rodgers could not function better than even Andy Dalton with a broken thumb. It was awful. He played poorly and we lost five straight games.

Rodgers is not better for the team in 2023 because Rodgers refuses to adjust his game to account for receivers who lack experience and don’t know his brain inside and out.

Plus we have multiple sources, including a tacit admission himself, saying that Gutey wanted Love playing last year, but he’s the GM, not the coach.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Dov dropping info bombs here

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Green smoke has been seen coming from the Lambeau Atrium.

Does that mean Jets or GB?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Mar 2023 09:48
YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

AR still could function and play better than Love at that point in time. AR is still the much better QB and will be in 2023 and probably 2024. But it seems Gute is following the "get rid of a guy a year too early is better than keeping him a year too long" mentality here. Plus he knows Love is gone if he sits this year and he will never see what he had (I think this is what is REALLY driving the push to move on from AR).
spot on

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
I also want to throw it out there that I think the biggest sticking point moving forward is that Rodgers isn’t going to want to give the Jets a 2-year commitment and the Jets will say they only want him if he does.
I think the Jets will still want him. They are desperate. But that lack of commitment will absolutely affect what the packers can receive in a trade. Which is what I have said all along, I think the retirement talk has been strategic in order to not raid his new team of draft picks.

The way I see it is we need a 1 from the Jets, and then anything beyond that is going to have to be conditional. Michael Lombardi was saying the Packers are going to have a tough time even getting a 1 with how wishy washy rodgers is. I think nagler said the same thing. Plus, who are the Jets competing against? Maybe other teams, but the others have at least publically not seemed interested
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Now that the Jets have returned back to the East Coast, I’m not going to think that there isn’t a deal in works.

I would’ve loved seeing the first headlines this morning saying that AR is now a Jet. But this is a complicated situation. Main sticking point: will Rodgers commit to two years of playing?

Otherwise, I’m going to start to ponder whether the Packers would bench Rodgers and start Love, if they are both on the roster in 2023.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 09:54
I disagree with everything in that post @wallyuwl

It’s already a year too late.

Aaron Rodgers could not function better than even Andy Dalton with a broken thumb. It was awful. He played poorly and we lost five straight games.

Rodgers is not better for the team in 2023 because Rodgers refuses to adjust his game to account for receivers who lack experience and don’t know his brain inside and out.

Plus we have multiple sources, including a tacit admission himself, saying that Gutey wanted Love playing last year, but he’s the GM, not the coach.
I think the Rodgers won't adjust stuff is over blown, what Rodgers was tired of is watching receivers break right instead of left and vice versa, and drop passes.

And Guty spouting he's just the GM is the same as saying he doesn't trust his coach, I can't even fathom Brian saying that Yoho.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If Gutey gets a top 15 pick for Rodgers I will forgive the massive firable offense of giving him the contract last year.

If the contract prevents that, then I will carryon my crusade of holding him accountable for an egregious error that hurt Loves development, put the team in cap hell, and tanked 12s trade value. Hurt the Packers in innumerable ways.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I'm not saying it will be for sure, and perhaps his current $ amount this year is the key negotiating parameter.

But when does a trade like this happen and a new contract isn't basically simultaneously announced?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 10:54
I'm not saying it will be for sure, and perhaps his current $ amount this year is the key negotiating parameter.

But when does a trade like this happen and a new contract isn't basically simultaneously announced?
Yes, 100%

My take:

So the team told Rodgers the Jets were interested and Rodgers said "ok, I'd consider that." Permission was granted, talks began. Talks went well enough to move to the next phase.

So the meeting happened; that's the big recruiting pitch; the "how will this look? What's the plan for me?"

Now the agent will be sent to go negotiate with the cap person around basic parameters while Rodgers decides. Meanwhile the Packers and Jets GMs and cap people are discussing trade compensation--probably sliding scale negotiations of money and picks.

At some point today or tomorrow, Rodgers will give his agent the say-so to get more detailed with the negotiations. They'll hammer out a financial compensation package within a couple days or a couple hours from that point.

The details in place and agreed to, Rodgers will have a final decision point. Assuming he says green light, they go. If he pulls out, the Packers probably go the route of Favre and tell him they need a yes or no right now and he retires and we have this conversation again later when he decides to unretire, which would be the worst case outcome.

But that's sort of what I think the next 2-4 days will look like behind the scenes. I imagine that we will hear next to none of it (and honestly, we don't really have any right or reason to).

I would also anticipate that shortly after Rodgers gets moved, the Packers will either formally announce or let leak that they are picking up Love's 5th year option.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 10:54

Rodgers doesnt exactly usually follow precedents or norms, and this still would have to be something Rodgers agrees to.

Basically the crappy contract gives Rodgers a no trade clause, as he can just refuse to rework the albatross and make it impossible for his new team to field a winner.

Which is basically like what the contract will do to the Packers

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

free agency starts a week from today.

This needs to be settled by then so the Jets and Packers and whoever wants to be involved can know how much money they have to spend.

We would like to resign K Nixon im sure, any delay hurts our chances,

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 11:16
free agency starts a week from today.

This needs to be settled by then so the Jets and Packers and whoever wants to be involved can know how much money they have to spend.

We would like to resign K Nixon im sure, any delay hurts our chances,
I expect it to be done by the tampering period in 4-5 days. We're on the path to conclusion. Now, will another team jump in the mix (or has one) complicating the timeline? Maybe. But if that happens, a lot of "here's what we've negotiated with another team" will already be worked out and they'd just have to meet it.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

wallyuwl wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Love didn't play for the same reason Favre didn't rest up when Arrington rolled up on his knee and he was hobbled for weeks. Nobody wants to be the next Wally Pipp. Nobody who has any clout wants to sit and be called out. And most people think they can still do a great job. You actually need some coach or Dr. to sit him.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

My guess is Rodgers gutted it out because he did not want to give Love the opportunity to take his job, the way Rodgers himself basically did with that fateful Cowboys game in Favre's last year here. He knows how this thing works.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
08 Mar 2023 11:38
My guess is Rodgers gutted it out because he did not want to give Love the opportunity to take his job, the way Rodgers himself basically did with that fateful Cowboys game in Favre's last year here. He knows how this thing works.