Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:26
go pak go wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:14
Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:07
For discussion, IF Rodgers gets traded, will Packers also trade Bahktiari?
I want them to but I don't think they will.
Same here.

But I DO think there's a reason that all the other restructures are done and Bakhtiari's hasn't.

He has a bonus due March 17th. That bonus either gets converted to a signing bonus to spread the hit out or something happens before then. The Jets NEED an OT. Rodgers and Bakh are best friends.

Multiple local reporters came away from the talks (public and private) at the combine saying Bakh is staying in Green Bay. But if the Jets and Rodgers really want it to make this deal work??

I'm still holding out hope that it happens, honestly. I think we have the tools to replace him and I think taking the cap hit on Rodgers creates a need to open up more space. Bakhtiari saves another $5.5 mil this year and big money next year.
It just makes too much sense for both parties.

The Packers are ready to move on with their new quarterback and need to rebuild their roster and rehab their cap space.

The Jets have a young and loaded team for the exception of huge holes at QB and Oline.

Draft picks are a premium for the Packers and high level veteran players at key needed positions are at a premium for the Jets. And these two players happen to be best friends?!

I think a HAUL of a trade makes sense for both sides. I'm talking 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for Rodgers and Bak as a starting point.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:36
i kind of felt like broke knee bakh turned the corner a little at the end of last year, and it would be great to have a solid LT for Love. Especially when I could see us losing Yosh.

But if the Jets really wanted to make it a haul and we really wanted to rebuild, i suppose id be down. Bakh seems pretty happy in his own right here. And he kind of owes us consider all he has stolen from us last couple years. But if the Jets wanna give about 3 1s and a 2, i suppose we should dance.
Yeah, for me, if we trade Bakh, we have to put the $6M 1st-round tender on Yosh, not the $4M 2nd-round tender on him.

But you could do MUCH worse than Yosh and Tom competing for the starting LT job after both have shown they can play it at a starting caliber level and both are young enough to consider that a floor, not a projection moving forward.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yosh Nijman might make more sense for both parties.

He’s likely going to get that 2nd round tender.

Gotta be a little tempting if going all in to get an average level, non liability, young durable LT who is signed for like $4 million this year. Especially if parting with pick 13, you won’t find better in the draft and you won’t find that quality for that price in FA.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:45
Yosh Nijman might make more sense for both parties.

He’s likely going to get that 2nd round tender.

Gotta be a little tempting if going all in to get an average level, non liability, young durable LT who is signed for like $4 million this year. Especially if parting with pick 13, you won’t find better in the draft and you won’t find that quality for that price in FA.
True, and since moving Bakh only saves $5 million this year, the money of moving Yosh ($4M 2nd-round tender) is comparable savings for the Packers.

But Rodgers certainly wouldn't say "If I go to New York, I want Yosh;" where as he might say "If I go to New York, I want Bakh"

Plus, Bakhtiari has a $32 million cap hit scheduled for 2024 that we can avoid entirely by eating some dead money this year and moving him

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I would love a 2nd round pick for Njiman.

Bak and Rodgers makes sense. It’s the quickest way to cleaning up the cap. I would be surprised if we did that though. It makes too much sense and this team doesn’t have any interest in cleaning up the cap.

Right now it seems like they want a winning season to maintain their jobs. If they have a bad year and Love looks bad they will assuredly be fired. If just one or the other ends up being true they can maybe maintain their job.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:57
I would love a 2nd round pick for Njiman.

Bak and Rodgers makes sense. It’s the quickest way to cleaning up the cap. I would be surprised if we did that though. It makes too much sense and this team doesn’t have any interest in cleaning up the cap.

Right now it seems like they want a winning season to maintain their jobs. If they have a bad year and Love looks bad they will assuredly be fired. If just one or the other ends up being true they can maybe maintain their job.
i totally agree everything seems to indicate they are ready to move on from rodgers, nothing indicates they are ready to "blow it up" or start over. They want to look like they didnt need rodgers, or that they made the right call, not collapse.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I’m going to float my theory again:

Ok sign Rodgers to a new deal. 2 years, $102 million with $60 million guaranteed at signing with 3 void years

$8 million roster bonus due on the third day of the league year. We will pay that

$50 million option bonus due on the first day of June mandatory minicamp. This will be converted to a signing bonus

2023 salary: $2 million
2024 salary: 42 million

We make a trade with the Jets.

They send us their 2023 1st and 2nd or something.

For 2024 we send them a first round pick unless Aaron Rodgers is on the Jets roster. If Rodgers is on the Jets, they send us their first round pick. This is an enforcement mechanism of the agreed upon trade.

On June 1st, we send the rights to Aaron Rodgers to the Jets for peanuts. In time for the June minicamp and training camp.

2023 cap charges:

Rodgers: $31 million for the Packers (0 cap savings/cost)
$12 million for the Jets

Bakhtiari: $23 million for the Packers ($5.5 million savings)
$16.5 million for the Jets

2024 cap charges:

Rodgers: $15.5 million for the Packers
$52 million for the Jets

Bakhtiari: $0 for the Packers ($32 million cap savings)
$21 million for the Jets

2025 cap charges:

Rodgers: $0 for the Packers
$30 million for the Jets (dead money void years)

Bakhtiari: $0 for both teams; free agent

I know this is insane. I guess technically Rodgers could change his mind and retire, but we’d take back all that unearned bonus money to avoid the dead cap because that would be a war declaration by him.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

In terms of trade value

Swapping 13 for 45 nets us roughly pick 23 value

Swapping 13 for 78 nets us roughly pick 19 value

I've frequently done 13 of 78 swap in my mocks (f 3rd round picks) and then also take a 2024 1st rounder. It could be conditional'ish, but I'd want it to be likely if possible.

Such as if Rodgers gets his March 1st roster bonus on his new contract, meaning he isn't on the reserve retired list, we get it.

And as always, I want Jeremy Ruckert :P

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 15:55
In terms of trade value

Swapping 13 for 45 nets us roughly pick 23 value

Swapping 13 for 78 nets us roughly pick 19 value

I've frequently done 13 of 78 swap in my mocks (f 3rd round picks) and then also take a 2024 1st rounder. It could be conditional'ish, but I'd want it to be likely if possible.

Such as if Rodgers gets his March 1st roster bonus on his new contract, meaning he isn't on the reserve retired list, we get it.

And as always, I want Jeremy Ruckert :P
I have a new policy of trading away our 3rd rounder every year for the rest of eternity so I am okay with that.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I just caught up on 4 pages of posts. A few thoughts

1) Interesting reasoning by [mention]Labrev[/mention] about reading Rodgers intentions from his initial uncertainty. I suppose it could also be possible that he truly didn't know if he wanted to retire, but if we assume that he did in fact know what he wanted to do, then I think that reasoning makes sense.

2) Lamar Jackson isn't worth anything unless you are willing to completely restructure your offense to fit him, in which case he is worth a lot. Dude can't throw but he is a hell of a football player. But that sort of severely restricts his trade value.

3) On the topic of trade value, can we glean any insight into the opinions of other GMs as to his ability based on the supposed lack of widespread desire for his services? It seems odd that we're in a period where, thanks to the Rams, teams seem to be more willing to go all-in and mortgage the future for a chance to win now, and we're talking about a 3rd round pick for Aaron Rodgers. The Lions, 2 years ago, got 2 1sts and a 2nd for Stafford, who himself was subject to a little bit of speculation as to whether or not he would retire this year. I want to say that we can't necessarily glean any insight into the opinions of GMs regarding Rodgers' ability, because of all these other factors in this case, but I wanted to see yall's thoughts. Also I have kind of wondered for the past idk 8 years whether or not the talk behind closed doors was similar to what we have all seen- that he is good in the regular season but regularly goes into a shell against playoff defenses and is thus overrated.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I see a simple trade with the Jets. Rodgers for 2023 #1 and a conditional 2024 pick. Lowest being a 3rd rounder.
Love is the answer…

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I don’t see the Jets giving a 1st, at least not this year. Look at a 2nd and then a conditional pick next year. Maybe throw in a player of some value.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Aaron Nagler (Cheesehead TV) had shared an image with the number of game starts for the various Jets QBs the past ten years, with a comment about “Aaron Rodgers to the rescue” in it.

Hahahaha
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Send both Bakh and Rodgers to the Jets for 3 1st round picks and be done with this never ending nonsense.

:beer:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Mar 2023 17:53
I don’t see the Jets giving a 1st, at least not this year. Look at a 2nd and then a conditional pick next year. Maybe throw in a player of some value.
Rich owner. Team has been a loser forever. They are a good team but have a huge hole at quarterback. Have always been the little brother in New York. Coaches on the team love him and know what he can do. New York is all about "what have you done for me lately"

I mean I can go on and on. The Jets will have no problem parting ways with at least 1 1st round pick.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Could you imagine how depressing that would be for the Jets after that full court press and Rodgers was just like, ‘nah, imma retire’

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

The Jets have a damn good defense and some good young players on offense. All they need to be a contender is a good veteran QB. Rodgers is better than good.

Once Carr signed with the Saints, the Jets FO just got desperate. The Jets fans are expecting the ownership to trade for Rodgers. In a way they put all their eggs in one basket once they let Carr go to another team.

Yes, they could still sign Jimmy G. or another reasonable facsimile but the fans won’t be happy.

The Jets will definitely have to give up at least a #1 pick and more to get a 4 time MVP and SB winner.
Love is the answer…

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Moving Rodgers costs cap space, not clears it; that means that there's no real deadline to do so. Yes, I WANT to get it done before free agency. But if the Packers say "he's simply not leaving our roster without a 1st in compensation, the pressure is on the Jets to get it done. A first for Rodgers, 2 firsts for Jackson, or sign Jimmy G? They'll cough it up.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 21:13
Moving Rodgers costs cap space, not clears it; that means that there's no real deadline to do so. Yes, I WANT to get it done before free agency. But if the Packers say "he's simply not leaving our roster without a 1st in compensation, the pressure is on the Jets to get it done. A first for Rodgers, 2 firsts for Jackson, or sign Jimmy G? They'll cough it up.
Yeah the only pressing thing for us is we would have to pay if Rodgers doesnt retire and it turns into Week 1 and he's still a Packere.

But I agree. Put the pressure on the Jets. I'm hearing now that "it may not take even take a first rounder" talk and I think that is ridiculous. The Jets clearly want him BAD. Make them pay for it.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
08 Mar 2023 21:18
YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 21:13
Yeah the only pressing thing for us is we would have to pay if Rodgers doesnt retire and it turns into Week 1 and he's still a Packere.

But I agree. Put the pressure on the Jets. I'm hearing now that "it may not take even take a first rounder" talk and I think that is ridiculous. The Jets clearly want him BAD. Make them pay for it.
Right. And week one is a LONG ways away. Like I want this resolved so fast. But the Packers don't need to clear his contract by Match 14th or anything. They can make the Jets languish for weeks up until draft time. The pressure is on them. The Packers have the guys. The Jets want a guy. There aren't a lot of guys.