2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

What are ya'lls thoughts on ODU TE Zach Kuntz?

I don't follow a ton of college ball but ODU is right in my back yard so it's tough to not hear their news. Kuntz tested off the charts at the combine but TBH I didn't see that athleticism in his play here.

He had a big 2021 season, caught a lot of balls, but wasn't consistently dominant playing against inferior opponents. He was talked up quite a bit for 2022 but never seemed to get out of the starter blocks and only saw 5 games before losing the season to injury. For a big guy, he's relatively soft. Not strong in the run game but I suppose that could be coached/trained up. His YAC is meh considering how he tested athletically.

Anyway, just curious what the national take on him is.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Too many good TEs in this class that played at significantly better programs and against significantly better talent. I would take him late 4th/early 5th if he’s still there. The size and athleticism will useful in the redzone. That’s undeniable.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Given the weak safety class, deep CB class.

Anyone know of any potential CB to safety conversion projects?

I never really know how to identify these guys, but I would think decent size, maybe a bit of a disappointing 40, good COD numbers, good in zone and a physical tackler.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 08:00

I never really know how to identify these guys, but I would think decent size, maybe a bit of a disappointing 40, good COD numbers, good in zone and a physical tackler.
I’m super in on this for Tyrique Stevenson from Miami

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m pretty interested in Jason Taylor II. Football bloodlines, very productive, had a good combine. Pretty much most sites have him as 7th rounder or under after and I’m not sure why.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:

OMG this is so obvious.

It's Mekhi Garner, LSU

6020, 212
32 1/4 arms
4.55 40-yard
1.54 10-yard
38.0 vert
(no agility yet)

The Draft Network says:
Garner made an impact as a player with high instincts who was willing to provide a physical presence on the boundary of a defense. Garner’s plus-level plays came when he used his 6-foot-2 frame to be disruptive in both the run game and in coverage.

In pass coverage, Garner shows best when he can play zone defense and has the opportunity to have eyes on both the quarterback and the receiver. Garner does a good job of staying on top of the receiver but also staying close enough to where he can still break downhill on underneath routes. When planting and driving on the receiver, Garner shows that he has plus-level closing speed and can knock the ball loose from the receiver with a physical tackle. As a zone defender, Garner has a high football IQ, including knowledge of route combinations and doing a good job of route recognition to break up passing routes. Garner also shows to have discipline in zone defense in that he can properly pass off routes.

As a run defender, Garner provides a physical presence at the cornerback position. On multiple occasions, Garner has been able to shed defenders in the screen game and make a tackle on the receiver. Garner also does a good job of triggering from depth in off-coverage and playing with urgency, attacking the line of scrimmage to make the tackle on the ball carrier.

Garner’s deficiencies as a player are centered around his down-the-field speed to be able to run stride for stride in man-to-man situations with receivers vertically. It appears that Garner has good acceleration and initial burst to stay in stride with receivers in the 30-yard range, but after that, it appears that receivers can begin to separate from Garner.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Mar 2023 11:01
BF004 wrote:

OMG this is so obvious.

It's Mekhi Garner, LSU

6020, 212
32 1/4 arms
4.55 40-yard
1.54 10-yard
38.0 vert
(no agility yet)

The Draft Network says:
Garner made an impact as a player with high instincts who was willing to provide a physical presence on the boundary of a defense. Garner’s plus-level plays came when he used his 6-foot-2 frame to be disruptive in both the run game and in coverage.

In pass coverage, Garner shows best when he can play zone defense and has the opportunity to have eyes on both the quarterback and the receiver. Garner does a good job of staying on top of the receiver but also staying close enough to where he can still break downhill on underneath routes. When planting and driving on the receiver, Garner shows that he has plus-level closing speed and can knock the ball loose from the receiver with a physical tackle. As a zone defender, Garner has a high football IQ, including knowledge of route combinations and doing a good job of route recognition to break up passing routes. Garner also shows to have discipline in zone defense in that he can properly pass off routes.

As a run defender, Garner provides a physical presence at the cornerback position. On multiple occasions, Garner has been able to shed defenders in the screen game and make a tackle on the receiver. Garner also does a good job of triggering from depth in off-coverage and playing with urgency, attacking the line of scrimmage to make the tackle on the ball carrier.

Garner’s deficiencies as a player are centered around his down-the-field speed to be able to run stride for stride in man-to-man situations with receivers vertically. It appears that Garner has good acceleration and initial burst to stay in stride with receivers in the 30-yard range, but after that, it appears that receivers can begin to separate from Garner.
I thought the reason to turn a CB into a safety was speed and zone coverage ability, other wise just draft a safety, they already come with zone coverage ability :idn:

I'am all for transitioning big corners to safety, but I'd also like them to be sub 4.5 players :munch:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Greg Cosell talking about all of the ways he loves Zay Flowers

IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 13:26
YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Mar 2023 11:01
BF004 wrote:

OMG this is so obvious.

It's Mekhi Garner, LSU

6020, 212
32 1/4 arms
4.55 40-yard
1.54 10-yard
38.0 vert
(no agility yet)

The Draft Network says:

I thought the reason to turn a CB into a safety was speed and zone coverage ability, other wise just draft a safety, they already come with zone coverage ability :idn:

I'am all for transitioning big corners to safety, but I'd also like them to be sub 4.5 players :munch:
Well generally if you are a good enough athlete, you just make it at corner. Of course we'd all love competent 4.3 safeties. There are probably dozens of them in the league, they are just all playing corner.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Prediction was spot on, Packers getting a 5 and a 7.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:33
Add in the Jets picks and the Packers are totally stacked for the 2023 draft
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Does anybody here know a good site where ignorant people (like myself) could construct a mock?

I think somebody passed one of those along a couple of years ago, but I don’t recall where that was.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Mar 2023 19:07
Does anybody here know a good site where ignorant people (like myself) could construct a mock?

I think somebody passed one of those along a couple of years ago, but I don’t recall where that was.
PFF - https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator probably the best one right now.

I think its time [mention]Backthepack4ever[/mention] and I need to update the spreadsheet and get after it if you want to join us for a group mock. =)

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

BF004 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 19:56
Scott4Pack wrote:

PFF - https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator probably the best one right now.

I think its time @Backthepack4ever and I need to update the spreadsheet and get after it if you want to join us for a group mock. =)
Let's roll 8-)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BSA wrote:
09 Mar 2023 17:05
BF004 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:33
Add in the Jets picks and the Packers are totally stacked for the 2023 draft
:dunno:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 19:56
Scott4Pack wrote:

I think its time @Backthepack4ever and I need to update the spreadsheet and get after it if you want to join us for a group mock. =)
Let’s do it!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Warren Sharp ranks the TEs

ranking the top TEs in this class & forecasting receiving production:

1. Michael Mayer, Notre Dame
2. Dalton Kincaid, Utah
3. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
4. Darnell Washington, Georgia
5. Luke Musgrave, Oregon State

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/f ... tight-end/

3. Sam LaPorta, Iowa, Final Year Age: 22.0 (Tier 1)

We just talked about how Michael Mayer carried his passing game, but LaPorta was right behind him in that department.
LaPorta accounted for 30.4% of the Iowa receptions (second in this class), 28.1% of the target (second), and 32.0% of the receiving yards (first).

LaPorta was Iowa’s passing game. So much so that he led this draft class in routes run as an isolation receiver (35.5% of his routes) while he ran a class-high 20.2% of his routes lined up out wide. LaPorta led this crop of tight ends in targets against man coverage (38) while his 2.72 yards per route run against man coverage were the highest in this class among tight ends that ran more than 33 routes against man coverage (he ran 115).

LaPorta’s success against man coverage is backed by his destruction of the combine a week ago, LaPorta checked out of Indianapolis in the 92nd percentile athletically. 56.9% of LaPorta’s yardage came after the catch, which was a higher rate than the other Tier 1 tight ends here in Mayer (42.7%), Kincaid (46.1%), and Washington (46.7%).

The only thing LaPorta did not do regularly in college was find the end zone. He caught just five career touchdowns on 153 receptions (3.3%), which was the second-lowest rate in this class. Iowa had just seven total passing touchdowns in 2022 and 12 in 2021 to add a grain of salt there, but it was the one area of production that LaPorta did not dominate.

LaPorta is younger than Dalton Kincaid while having much more objective production than Darnell Washington. He just needs his draft capital to push the rest of this tier.
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I want LaPorta badly. He’s been my guy the entire year at the position. He’s so much like Kittle. They pointed out the end zone. He just isn’t a big guy so that will never be his role I think. The other struggle he has is winning those contested catch situations you see TEs make. He’s just on the smaller side.

I really like the idea of trying to get Washington and LaPorta if we end up with 2 second round picks. Washington can win down the field, block, and be a red zone menace. LaPorta can get you to the red zone with his ability to separate and make plays with the ball in his hands. I’ve never seen a TE with such elusive moves.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Got a little trade heavy, and I doubt Nolan Smith is there, but I turned the randomness setting up very high. Kind of considered not picking him for realism, but didn't really care for anyone.

I really don't like picking in like the 23-35 range, generally no one there I like for the value, Sidney Brown, Josh Downs, any TE, etc.

I'm generally good till about pick 20, can almost always find someone I like quite a bit.
image.png
image.png (350.65 KiB) Viewed 582 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Don’t think I’m as high on him as others, but that’d be damn fun with him and Watson on the field together.

Both uniquely gifted in the speed department. Maybe top 10 guys at their position in the league.

And no combine numbers on Doubs, but he seems to have no trouble getting vertical himself.