Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

German_Panzer wrote:
10 Mar 2023 09:46
Can we hold against Aaron Rodgers in the future the fact that he never did what Tom Brady did that is to voluntarily doing a cheaper deal to make his team able to sign free agents to become more competitive? I mean it seems he really sucked us out, could have easily granted 10 Mio. (out of the whole volume of the deal) while enhancing his SB (legacy!!!) chances.
In the future? I’ve been holding it against him for like three years.

If Rodgers just said “I’ll play for $25 million a year until the wheels fall off” which is essentially what Brady did, we’d be having a different conversation entirely.

Everyone wants to be like Brady but no one else was willing to sacrifice significant earnings potential for the sake of building a stronger team around them. Rodgers has never settled for anything less than highest paid; not since his first extension during his first year starting

This, plus the fact that he talks all the time and almost never mentions it, is why I say over and over again that winning Super Bowls is not his priority. Not that he isn’t competitive and wants to win them. But he’s a quality of life guy. He wants to enjoy his time playing and have the accolades and individual legacy.

All the talk of best chances for him to win Super Bowls is projection from fans who think that way. He’s never done it said anything to indicate he thinks that way.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Mar 2023 09:50
German_Panzer wrote:
Can we hold against Aaron Rodgers in the future the fact that he never did what Tom Brady did that is to voluntarily doing a cheaper deal to make his team able to sign free agents to become more competitive? I mean it seems he really sucked us out, could have easily granted 10 Mio. (out of the whole volume of the deal) while enhancing his SB (legacy!!!) chances.

If Rodgers just said “I’ll play for $25 million a year until the wheels fall off” which is essentially what Brady did, we’d be having a different conversation entirely.

Everyone wants to be like Brady but no one else was willing to sacrifice significant earnings potential for the sake of building a stronger team around them. Rodgers has never settled for anything less than highest paid; not since his first extension during his first year starting

This, plus the fact that he talks all the time and almost never mentions it, is why I say over and over again that winning Super Bowls is not his priority. Not that he isn’t competitive and wants to win them. But he’s a quality of life guy. He wants to enjoy his time playing and have the accolades and individual legacy.

All the talk of best chances for him to win Super Bowls is projection from fans who think that way. He’s never done it said anything to indicate he thinks that way.
Unfortunately money knocks the chip off shoulders more effectively than the tougher stuff like doing everything you can do to win. The thing that bothers me the most, would be not working to create real players out of some of the young guys. Janis comes off his fabulous playoff game, AR's vet WRs are hurt and instead of going to the OTAs and trying to create a monster out of the kid he skips it. Would we have seen Doubs at all if guys hadn't gone down? It is okay to be demanding of receivers but you only learn with actual reps and targets.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

German_Panzer wrote:
I don't hold that against him. I firmly believe players should get theirs while they can.

But if you are gonna do that, you don't get excuses about the talent around you; you chose to reserve significant team resources for yourself and by-definition make it significantly tougher to acquire talent **edit** and retain homegrown talent e.g. Corey Linsley.

Drj820 wrote:
10 Mar 2023 09:47
I thought the darkness retreat was supposed to provide answers? What’s the hold up?
I think the retreat was more of a personal spiritual enlightenment pursuit, not something he did primarily to give him guidance on his playing career. He spent "months" (source: Rodgers himself) planning this trip, so he was intent on doing it well before needing to make any career decision.
Last edited by Labrev on 10 Mar 2023 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

YoHoChecko wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

Interesting take. Possible that we misjudge #12‘s true agenda. Maybe in 2011 he wanted to become the GOAT but as years flew by he recognized its impossibility and switched into a pragmatic style. I really had the impression early in his career that he was all in to become a legacy QB. As of now he will be forgotten in 50 years, they‘ll only remember Brady, maybe Peyton.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, just to be clear, I'm not even criticizing Rodgers for not prioritizing Super Bowls as his #1. I'm just observing it. I think there are a million different ways to approach jobs and life and happiness and achievement, and he has his. But we have to keep that in mind when assessing and predicting what he'll do and what he wants.

Rodgers wants the financial and professional considerations of someone that is viewed as the best. He wants his team and his bosses and the league awards and the contract to reflect that he is the best. He says often that he has nothing to prove, and that's in part because he has all the validation he needs in the ways he values to say "yes, I know I'm the best; my contract says I'm the best; my MVPs say I'm the best; my team treats me like I deserve special consideration." That's what he wants and how he evaluates his successes, essentially, in my view. I think there's a lot of evidence pointing to that. And that's just fine. Some people use different forms of validation. Some people just love playing and want to win. Rodgers wants to be recognized as the best in the game and one of the best to ever play it. And so those are the goals he works toward. No ill will. Just worth recognizing.

Now, he also operates on proving doubters wrong, so if the Packers want to give him up, he very well may be willing to sacrifice some of those forms of recognition for a new team that he hasn't for this team because his desire to shut up the doubters may take precedence. But I still don't think that comes in the form of Super Bowls to him. It will come in the form of kicking butt in his new city and showing that he's not washed, individually.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

German_Panzer wrote:
10 Mar 2023 10:29
YoHoChecko wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

Interesting take. Possible that we misjudge #12‘s true agenda. Maybe in 2011 he wanted to become the GOAT but as years flew by he recognized its impossibility and switched into a pragmatic style. I really had the impression early in his career that he was all in to become a legacy QB. As of now he will be forgotten in 50 years, they‘ll only remember Brady, maybe Peyton.
Lol, not a chance he is forgotten. He is already one of the very GOAT's even if he hangs it up right now.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think another way to look at it, in his own words, is that he wants to control what he can control. He can control his individual success and legacy and forms of validation more than he can control team success. It's a 53-man roster, a 22-starter game. Individuals move the needle less in football than in other sports. Rodgers wants to control what he can control and all he can control is how he plays, how he views his play, and how he acquires recognition for that success.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Captain_Ben wrote:
10 Mar 2023 10:34

Lol, not a chance he is forgotten. He is already one of the very GOAT's even if he hangs it up right now.
Not in 5 years, but in 50? NFL-success is measured mainly in rings, not stats or voting. If he leaves he will also be always behind Favre Packers-wise - I got that impression strongly when I was at Lambeau for the Dallas game, speaking with other fans - so it‘ll be probably Starr > Favre > Rodgers. But then like YoHo wrote, #12 might not care at all about this stuff and its totally fine bc indeed it very subjective stuff.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

So when is this trade going down?

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

German_Panzer wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

I remember seeing an interview (one of those artsy, extended interviews sort of like Inside the Actor's Studio or Graham Bensinger) in like 2008 or 2009 with Rodgers (idk exactly when, but it was before the Super Bowl win). They asked him about music and he said something like "Football is my job, music is my passion". I remember at the time being like "oh &%$@, we're screwed", because I had been a big believer in Rodgers and I figured that with that attitude he would never get us there. And then we won in 2010 so I shelved those thoughts, but it turns out I was right to be suspicious.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

bud fox wrote:
10 Mar 2023 03:54
texas wrote:
09 Mar 2023 18:51
Gonna be pretty funny when we ship Rodgers and a bunch of those other older guys out because we're rebuilding, but then win the Super Bowl anyway because MLF has been an offensive genius the whole time and Rodgers' contributions actually made it worse.
Love who liked this post lol
You know what? More people should be liking my posts! I give you guys gold and correct insight on a daily basis and only Pckfn23 and go pack go are appreciative!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Captain_Ben wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

When was the last time you thought of Dan Marino as better than Tom Brady? He was, you know. But Marino never won a Super Bowl while Brady won lots of them. The same will be true for Rodgers, 1 Super Bowl does not make a GOAT, after 10 years he will be largely forgotten.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Mar 2023 12:55
Captain_Ben wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

When was the last time you thought of Dan Marino as better than Tom Brady? He was, you know. But Marino never won a Super Bowl while Brady won lots of them. The same will be true for Rodgers, 1 Super Bowl does not make a GOAT, after 10 years he will be largely forgotten.
yeah but I haven't forgotten about Dan. You don't forget the greats.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Mar 2023 10:49
I think another way to look at it, in his own words, is that he wants to control what he can control. He can control his individual success and legacy and forms of validation more than he can control team success. It's a 53-man roster, a 22-starter game. Individuals move the needle less in football than in other sports. Rodgers wants to control what he can control and all he can control is how he plays, how he views his play, and how he acquires recognition for that success.
yep there are to many variables that have to be right to win a SB, winning SB's are icing on the cake for most players.

I flipped when we made him the richest player in the league with that second contract, but he was in the drivers seat to demand it after just winning the SB, look what Mahomes demanded and got after KC won it on his rookie deal, but the contract Murphy gave him after demoting Ted and the Capers firing rocked my boat, Rodgers was still locked up through 2019, I hated that deal, then this last one was so ridiculous, the only explanation is that Love was still so raw, they had doubts he would ever become a starter caliber QB, other wise why do that, it made no sense , and if Love does fail to impress Gutekunst signed his own walking papers, I can't even wrap my head around any of this.

people think I'am crazy for saying Rodgers purposely wouldn't throw to check down receivers at certain points in games, I'am still convinced he did that on purpose to point out, we need better receiver talent, not saying he intentionally lost games, he didn't do that when the games where on the line, water over the bridge now so who cares at this point, what matters now is that we clear the dead cap and get something in return for his departure.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

who told you Marino was better then Brady? hogwash, a completely different era, and most people wont forget either one, no one has forgotten Bart Starr, Unitas, Jergenson, and no one will forget Aaron Rodgers either, whats far more likely, and it gives me no pleasure to say it, is that in 5 years no one remembers who Jordon Love is.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

I was going to say something similar. In 2005 Dan Marino was still in many people's top 5. Now, not a chance. Probably not in the top 10 any longer.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Sauce gotta be getting nervous that he burnt his cheese head for no reason
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

I haven’t forgotten Dan. Like Aaron, he was excellent at the deep passes. Excellent thrower of the ball and motivator of his team.

Whether Aaron is in the GOAT conversation or not, I’ll prefer to remember him for his excellent plays (and for coming back to beat da Bears on a bad leg).
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Mar 2023 14:06
TheSkeptic wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

I haven’t forgotten Dan. Like Aaron, he was excellent at the deep passes. Excellent thrower of the ball and motivator of his team.

Whether Aaron is in the GOAT conversation or not, I’ll prefer to remember him for his excellent plays (and for coming back to beat da Bears on a bad leg).
I mean sure us packers fans will always remember Rodgers. We were talking about GOAT discussions involving non packer fans
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m kind of an odd fellow. I’d throw Dan Fouts into any GOAT convo.

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!