Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

salmar80 wrote:
12 Mar 2023 15:22
Touché.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I was watching a video explanation of Rodgers’ contract. Without going into detail, I get the impression that it was intentionally set up as it is (mutually by Packers and Rodgers of course) to propagate the likelihood of a trade or encourage retirement. It just isn’t practical to think they were going to continue to pay him in 2023 unless they had a compelling reason, such as a very strong team making a solid push for the Super Bowl. Given the result of the 2022 season and so forth, I think Guty and the FO decided that they were better off to trade (or retire) Rodgers now. That is without even considering whether Love is ready or not.

The bonus here, in the words of the Packers, is that they feel Love is very ready. Time will tell.

So, that puts a little different twist on this whole thing to me because it leads me to think it was highly unlikely that Rodgers would be in GB in 2023 from the outset.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Mar 2023 21:21
I was watching a video explanation of Rodgers’ contract. Without going into detail, I get the impression that it was intentionally set up as it is (mutually by Packers and Rodgers of course) to propagate the likelihood of a trade or encourage retirement. It just isn’t practical to think they were going to continue to pay him in 2023 unless they had a compelling reason, such as a very strong team making a solid push for the Super Bowl. Given the result of the 2022 season and so forth, I think Guty and the FO decided that they were better off to trade (or retire) Rodgers now. That is without even considering whether Love is ready or not.

The bonus here, in the words of the Packers, is that they feel Love is very ready. Time will tell.

So, that puts a little different twist on this whole thing to me because it leads me to think it was highly unlikely that Rodgers would be in GB in 2023 from the outset.

I mean there have been like 5- 7 of us on this forum that have been saying this for over a year. :lol: :idn:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

On March 8 I said 4-5 days

On Friday, March 10, I said “Not today.”

This morning, the 12th. I said tomorrow.

I’m booking it. It’s happening. Tampering period opens as Rodgers steals the news cycle.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YohoChecko wrote:Tampering period opens as Rodgers steals the news cycle.
Yep, that’s what I’ve been suspecting, as well. Consistent with his previous year(s) actions.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
12 Mar 2023 21:39
Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Mar 2023 21:21

I mean there have been like 5- 7 of us on this forum that have been saying this for over a year. :lol: :idn:
Yep. JET-tison the boy outta here ASAP. Pronto if not sooner 'cuz 1265 needs a cleansing for sure.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Seems appropriate for today...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

It does kinda feel that way, doesn't it?

Also:

:lol: :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Quiet before the storm
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

At noon today if he hasn't made a decision he is officially holding the team hostage. I don't expect a decision. I sure hope there is one.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I actually kinda feel the opposite. I feel like the more that we try to resist the idea of Rodgers playing for the Jets, the more the universe brings us substantively closer to achieving that outcome.

I do feel an increasingly possibility he may announce retirement, but I don't believe can stay retired for good any more than I did in the beginning.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

For discussion's sake, what are the implications of a retirement/unretirement scenario for Green Bay ala 2008 Favre? I.E. Rodgers announces retirement now, but shortly before the start of the season decides he wants to play.

What are the cap implications for him retiring, but then coming back? For trading him then vs. now?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The team should trade Rodgers to the Jets immedietely and make the trade conditional on Rodgers playing in 2023. The time for waiting on Rodgers is over. Its time to get ready for free agency. It has been over 50 days since Rodgers last played a game. "thinking time" is over.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Packers plans in Free Agency is the same with or without Aaron Rodgers.

Sign nobody because we can't afford anything.

Rodgers deciding now is for the benefit of the Jets to sign people. Not the Packers.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

He's gonna retire.

He decides to stay with the Packers.

He decides to accept terms and is traded to the Jets.

He decides to go back into the tent, says he needs more isolation time to sort these alternatives out

all logical scenario's for a player traumatized after years of neglection from his GM not getting him better receivers :hide: :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Mar 2023 09:53
The Packers plans in Free Agency is the same with or without Aaron Rodgers.

Sign nobody because we can't afford anything.

Rodgers deciding now is for the benefit of the Jets to sign people. Not the Packers.
freeing ourselves of some of Rodgers dead money is bound to help, I expect Gute to bring in some players.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We take a cap hit by trading Rodgers or him retiring...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Mar 2023 10:36
We take a cap hit by trading Rodgers or him retiring...
Although retiring should be easy to set with a post June 1st designation, opening cap room.