Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

This guy seems to know whats up.

Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 14:57
yoop is always respectful and fair minded. Thanks for being a part of the forum yoop!!
Jumping the gun, it's not April 1st. :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cdragon wrote:
16 Mar 2023 15:24
Drj820 wrote:
yoop is always respectful and fair minded. Thanks for being a part of the forum yoop!!
I don't know how one could type that, for laughing so hard. :lol:
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 16 Mar 2023 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Trudge wrote:
16 Mar 2023 15:10

I'm pleased with Gute. There are times it seems he is really ahead of the curve. Let's hope Love is one of those instances.

His huge mistake was not trading AR sooner. But AR played and his value went from multiple 1s and 2s to maybe just one frp.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Trudge wrote:

Brian Gutenbumst: genius.

Draft Jordan Love and don’t play him for 3 years. The entire draft class is backups or backup worthy players there entire rookie deals.
Sign Aaron Rodgers to a massive deal and give him concessions because you pissed him off.
Trade Aaron Rodgers incurring even more dead cap.
Be put in a position you have to pickup the option on an unknown commodity in Jordan Love that will be fully guaranteed.
Packers fan beat the skin off it to mediocrity.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Trudge wrote:

I agree!

Guty is playing it right!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I certainly am not going to proclaim Guty is playing it right until the results come in.

Can we just not jump to conclusions until we have an actual conclusion?

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’ll say Booty is playing it right for the terrible situation he’s out the team in.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Il be fair and judge the results over the course of the upcoming year. He’s done nothing to impress in this situation yet.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
thanks for the support DRJ. I have always tried to respect others here

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 15:26
Cdragon wrote:
16 Mar 2023 15:24
Drj820 wrote:
I don't know how one could type that, for laughing so hard. :lol:

you twist what others say, you accuse people of lying, you dig up convoluted stats to win arguments, that is who you are, you don't come for civil conversation, you come to put others down if they wont agree with you, I have no interest in talking to a person like you, not here, and certainly not in person, so laugh all you want, no skin off my backside.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 15:49
Il be fair and judge the results over the course of the upcoming year. He’s done nothing to impress in this situation yet.
here we are 3 years ago trying to make a run for it, and Gute drafts a edge rusher that takes 3 years to break into the starting rotation, and only then because the starter was hurt, what good is a great edge rushers when other positions are weak, Gute did some great maneuvering to get Alexander and Savage, but like Ted his constant defensive drafting came at the price of abandoning the offense and relying on Rodgers to cover for it :thwap: and last year we saw the results of that.

people here blame Rodgers, and over look that.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It’s so weird.

Gutey has had 4 drafts. He’s drafted 2 Pro Bowl players in Jaire Alexander and Elkton Jenkins. He’s drafted potential/emerging pro bowl level players in Gary and Watson.

He’s acquired Pro Bowl players in Keison Nixon, Za’Darius, and Devondre Campbell.

He extended pro bowlers in Bakhtiari and Adams.

He got good return value on the Adams trade.

He acquired solid role players up and down the roster such as MVS, Adrian Amos, etc.

And people look at what he didn’t do.

If acquiring incredibly high level players through the draft and free agency is the goal, he’s hit a ton. Focusing on his misses is measuring success against perfection.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Mar 2023 16:32
It’s so weird.

Gutey has had 4 drafts. He’s drafted 2 Pro Bowl players in Jaire Alexander and Elkton Jenkins. He’s drafted potential/emerging pro bowl level players in Gary and Watson.

He’s acquired Pro Bowl players in Keison Nixon, Za’Darius, and Devondre Campbell.

He acquired solid role players up and down the roster such as MVS, Adrian Amos, etc.

If acquiring incredibly high level players through the draft and free agency is the goal, he’s hit a ton. Focusing on his misses is measuring success against perfection.
2 Pro Bowlers in 4 years isn't amazing. I would think most every GM can do that simply by existing. What is the outlier for Gute is his misses are MISSES and his FA record is honestly unbelievably successful. Gute is as good with FA acquisitions as the Patriots were for a time.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
It’s so weird.

They call Green Bay title town. Gutey had a qb that has won MVP twice on his roster during his tenure.

So I ask, how many Super Bowl appearances? How many super bowls?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
It’s so weird.

This is so mid. He gets credit for extending Bakh and Adams? Lol two players he didn’t draft.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 16:39
YoHoChecko wrote:
It’s so weird.

They call Green Bay title town. Gutey had a qb that has won MVP twice on his roster during his tenure.

So I ask, how many Super Bowl appearances? How many super bowls?
And this is where I put my foot in the ground. Again. Micro and Macro.

I can't blame BG because Devante Adams dropped a pass in the EZ or Rodgers didn't hit an open Lazard instead of throwing to Adams in double coverage.

So that's why I like to instead stick with drafting, FA, and roster building. I already addressed the drafting and FA. As for roster building, I think BG's largest fault from a roster building perspective is the complete failure in STs for two years. Now I will give Gute credit. He invested in STs hardcore in the draft but he just failed at it so, so bad and took forever to recover from it.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
It’s so weird.

I’ve said time and time again. He hits very well on the high level guys but it doesn’t make up for the missed. Coming away with Jaire doesn’t make up for the rest of the class being misses. I would say it does if he did something with the extra 1st he got but he used that to get Savage and that even cost an additional 2 4ths.

Gary is a good player but that draft we needed a DT and a WR badly and you could have gotten Simmons and DK and gotten not only massive talent but massive return on the investment. We did not get that from Gary and we sure as hell didn’t get that from Savage.

The Love draft again you just get awful returns on investment. Outside of Runyan we have gotten nothing from that class. Dillon I guess has contributed but for a 2nd round RB he needs more impact and production. When he’s on the field the team is worse.

If we turn to FA massive, huge hits on Campbell, Amos, Zadarius, Preston, Douglas to an extent. On the other side just absolutely terrible decision with Jimmy Graham, Kevin King, Billy Turner, Sammy Watkins, and to some extent in my opinion Preston Smiths most recent deal and Rasul Douglas in terms of correcting the cap.

Again look where we are know. We have gone back and forth on the long term plan 3 times. We draft Love to move on, sign Rodgers to a big deal, then try and trade him a year later. On top of that we continue to play with disadvantaged season with huge dead cap hits and void years galore.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
It’s so weird.

I don't really feel a need to defend Gute's record by raising any of these points, despite being called a "Gute defender" by the Cult of Rodgers, but they are definitely not lost on me. I would say I approve of the overall job he has done. 2021 with moves for guys like Sul and Campbell were the ones that really made me feel like our GM actually does kinda know what he's doing. I was a bit of a skeptic 2019-2020. Yeah he has done a nice job to date.

'Biggest criticism has been bringing back Rodgers last year, handling the Rodgers timeline in general, and that his drafts are just kinda okay at best, but even for those things there were reasons that made those decisions sound/justifiable.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

4 years.

2 drafted that made it within 2, 3, or 4 years into the league. 3 signed. 1 traded.

Adding, on average, a pro bowl player per year. Finding ways to retain/extend/get value for the pro bowlers on the roster already…

Yes. That’sa really good track record. GMs aren’t just drafters. The draft, free agency, and roster management count.

He messed up keeping Rodgers one extra year at the cost of the current contract, but he’s working on getting value there. He’s had some draft misses, but draft picks have like a 30% success rate. Y’all are kidding yourselves if you think the coach with the best active W-L record in the league and the GM who adds a pro bowl player—not counting washed former pro bowlers like Cobb—per year are not “successful.”