Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
18 Mar 2023 16:19
Lmao

That was actual footage of yoop's one chance to meet Ted Thompson back in 2008. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 Mar 2023 16:48
BF004 wrote:
18 Mar 2023 16:19
Lmao

That was actual footage of yoop's one chance to meet Ted Thompson back in 2008. :lol:
I thought that was you holding the clipboard with the Blond hair, chewing the gum, no? :rotf:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Am I missing something? All these experts say because of Rodgers contract it would be a 2nd or 3rd this year and a conditional 1st in 2024 if Rodgers plays a second year? But couldn't he wait until after the 2024 draft to decide to play another year? Wouldn't the conditional based on playing be in 2025?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

packman114 wrote:
18 Mar 2023 18:13
Am I missing something? All these experts say because of Rodgers contract it would be a 2nd or 3rd this year and a conditional 1st in 2024 if Rodgers plays a second year? But couldn't he wait until after the 2024 draft to decide to play another year? Wouldn't the conditional based on playing be in 2025?
I’ve gone back and forth on this too.

I think you could swing something like if Aaron is paid a bonus on April 1 (on active roster), or pick a day after the league new year, then Green Bay gets their pick. NY won’t pay his bonus if he’s gunna retire and would likely have to move him to the reserve/retired list so they can sort out their finances for the 2024 season.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Updated my TVC for 2023 if you wanted to play around with some trade scenarios.

I.E., what is the value of swapping 13 and 15 (21 points, pick 122, late 4th round value) or if we get 43 and give up our 3rd (78) (pick 57 equivelent difference)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1609521633

image.png
image.png (52.58 KiB) Viewed 661 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pretty much spot on.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So I keep seeing Jermaine Johnson coming up as a trade piece.

Kind of an unexpected fall last draft. Tall, long, big, how we’ve liked our edge defenders.

Not really sure why NY would move along already, they do have depth at edge though.

He didn’t have a bad year for an edge rookie, just mostly didn’t get a ton of snaps.

Guess I’d be very intrigued, depending on his value. If we are gauging him as like a 3rd round equivalency, maybe even low 2nd, I think I’d be on board.

Am I missing anything with him or this story?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
19 Mar 2023 15:11
So I keep seeing Jermaine Johnson coming up as a trade piece.

Kind of an unexpected fall last draft. Tall, long, big, how we’ve liked our edge defenders.

Not really sure why NY would move along already, they do have depth at edge though.

He didn’t have a bad year for an edge rookie, just mostly didn’t get a ton of snaps.

Guess I’d be very intrigued, depending on his value. If we are gauging him as like a 3rd round equivalency, maybe even low 2nd, I think I’d be on board.

Am I missing anything with him or this story?
Sounds like the story to me. Honestly, he's worth the pick he was taken at last year. I wouldn't at all mind him in lieu of the pick I want. I doubt NYJ want to move on, but it is a deep position and he is less likely to contribute this year, which is what the trade is all about.

The Elijah Moore stuff never made sense because they're literally trying to get Rodgers BECAUSE they have the weapons to compete. He's one of them. Not to mention the drama with Moore came about through a fight with MLF's brother. By most accounts, the tension is mended there. Mims, at this point, would be nothing more than a cheap throw-in for some upside, as he has had 3 years worth of disappointment by now. Corey Davis is just a salary dump. They're cutting him anyway. I bet he's only on the team because the Jets want to use him as a trade piece for this deal, and doubt the Packers are exceedingly interested in taking on his cap charge this year.

So yeah, if they're dealing with players, an EDGE, TE, or S make sense. The Jets don't have any safeties for us. At TE, they just restructured Uzomah for cap space, Conklin comes with a $9M dead money hit (due in part to last year's restructure for him), so then there's Jeremy Ruckert.

Jermaine Johnson and/or Jeremy Ruckert are great rookie-deal pieces at need positions we could look at if they're balking on draft picks.

I think the 13th pick absolutely should be the minimum value; but Johnson has almost that much value himself, so a 2nd and Johnson would be pretty outstanding. Johnson, Ruckert, and a conditional pick next year that can be a 2-4 depending on outcomes would be decent. I'm all about driving a hard bargain, but second year players carry plenty of value.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I’m guessing the longer this goes on the Packers are less likely to get the 13th pick.

:twisted:
Love is the answer…

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... 2827&ei=19

The New York Jets and Green Bay Packers have been working on an Aaron Rodgers trade for quite some time, but there does not seem to be a sense of urgency on either side to get a deal done.

Aaron Rodgers
Aaron Rodgers
© Mike De Sisti / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK
Appearing on Sunday’s edition of “SportsCenter,” ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler said teams around the NFL believe the Packers are holding out in an attempt to squeeze more out of the Jets. Green Bay does not have to pay Rodgers his $58 million option bonus until Week 1 of the 2023 season, so there is no real deadline to agree on a trade.

Despite that, Fowler said the Jets remain confident they will land Rodgers.

“So, everything appears to be in motion for the most part, they just have to find a sweet spot,” Fowler said, as transcribed by Bleacher Report’s Adam Wells. “The Packers, they have this $58 million option bonus for Rodgers that does not have to be exercised until Week 1, so they can essentially hang on to that if they want.

“Meanwhile, I’m hearing the Jets are confident they can remain a little patient here and this will all sort out. There’s not another team involved that I’ve found, and so it’s just a bit of a stare-off.”

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Jermain Johnson was my guy last year so I'd be pretty happy to land him in a trade.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

The Jets could just wait until after the draft at which point they would have anlready executed their 1st round pick. Then the Packers might decide to wait until after June 1st to spread Rodgers cap hit over 2 seasons.

I beginning to think this what might happen. Rodgers gets to skip the OTAs too.
Love is the answer…

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Foosball wrote:
19 Mar 2023 16:06
I’m guessing the longer this goes on the Packers are less likely to get the 13th pick.

:twisted:
I don’t know if you are wrong or right, but I would venture a guess that the Packers feel that the longer it goes, the MORE likely they are to get that pick.

Is there any way to know if the Jets have offered a 2nd AND pay half of Rodger’s lump (or some significant amount)? Honestly, I don’t know how the Jets or the Packers wouldn’t find value in that, even if there is also a conditional pick for 2024.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Foosball wrote:
19 Mar 2023 18:49
The Jets could just wait until after the draft at which point they would have anlready executed their 1st round pick. Then the Packers might decide to wait until after June 1st to spread Rodgers cap hit over 2 seasons.

I beginning to think this what might happen. Rodgers gets to skip the OTAs too.
I respect that view.

I think there’s still a 61% chance that no deal occurs and 12 retires.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I'd be bringing this up every time Joe Douglas called asking for a discount...

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
20 Mar 2023 08:08

Smaller contract and younger player.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

the packers should take on whatever can they handle of the option bonus. Gute gave the silly contract, the silly contract is tanking trade value, Gute should pony up the cash in order to get the most compensation as possible. I would much rather eat up the cap and get pick 13 than have cap space to bring in rentals or scrubs and get like a 3rd round pick
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Mar 2023 10:25
APB wrote:
20 Mar 2023 08:08

Smaller contract and younger player.
Rodgers is an infinitely better player even in his advanced years.

Which quality(s) hold more value if vying for a Super Bowl?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Mar 2023 10:31
the packers should take on whatever can they handle of the option bonus. Gute gave the silly contract, the silly contract is tanking trade value, Gute should pony up the cash in order to get the most compensation as possible. I would much rather eat up the cap and get pick 13 than have cap space to bring in rentals or scrubs and get like a 3rd round pick
Rodgers should just re-do his contract if he's serious about playing for the Jets.

Jets fans are about to find out just how accommodating Rodgers is when it comes to consideration of the team over his own needs.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
20 Mar 2023 10:42
Drj820 wrote:
20 Mar 2023 10:31
Rodgers should re-do his contract if he's serious about playing for the Jets.

Jets fans are about to find out just how accommodating Rodgers is when it comes to consideration of the team over his own needs.
why should he do that? If you had 60m in the bank from an employer, I would not expect you return the money and take less. Gute gave this awful deal, the packers should pay what they can of it. In order to set themselves up to have quality cheap labor for years to come.

Taking on 60m certainly tanks a players trade value. No matter how good the player is. I reccommend we take on what we can and demand the 1.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23