Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Mar 2023 10:14
Brandon Cooks traded to the Cowboys.

Makes a lot of sense. CeeDee and Gallop are good players but both lack that elite speed. Cooks provides something the team is missing. He also has a guaranteed $18M salary this year, tho, so interesting to see if the Texans are taking on some of that.
Sounds like 6 of it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Look at the cap hit difference between 2023 and 2024 among QBs. Obviously will change, but still crazy:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ca ... arterback/
5 above $30M in 2023, 12 in 2024
0 above $40M in 2023, 8 in 2024
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Mar 2023 13:23
Look at the cap hit difference between 2023 and 2024 among QBs. Obviously will change, but still crazy:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ca ... arterback/
5 above $30M in 2023, 12 in 2024
0 above $40M in 2023, 8 in 2024
And all of those guys will likely be restructured again to bring down the ‘24 numbers.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Damn

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Schultz only going for 1-year after coming off a franchise tag is surprising; would have thought he'd look for his first big multi-year deal, even if it felt a little smaller than normal.

I'm still hoping for old my draft favorite Foster Moreau. He's perfect for this offense, and I think as good or better than Deguara at doing a lot of the same things. He likely won't cost, well, anything. And so if we draft two guys who are better, no need to keep him. We still need the in-line/blocking TE,

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Mcafee talking about the wording of the word “guarantee”
Now and how it’s changing is funny. I was on that as soon as I heard it day one. “Fully guaranteed” “virtually guearanteed” “actual guaranteed” what a joke
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Mar 2023 19:37
Mcafee talking about the wording of the word “guarantee”
Now and how it’s changing is funny. I was on that as soon as I heard it day one. “Fully guaranteed” “virtually guaranteed” “actual guaranteed” what a joke
Yeah, I ignore "virtually guaranteed" numbers posted on, I think overthecap but maybe it's spotrac. Those are useful to know/understand how an actual contract may play out, but comparing a player's "virtual guarantees" to another contract is dumb. "Guaranteed at signing" is all I care about for comparing players.

Now, for our own guys, I want to understand the mechanisms. Also maybe for some of the absolute top contracts, like knowing how Patrick Mahomes' contract worked or how DeAndre Hopkins' extension warped the WR market was useful. But those details are the things that make you comb through individual contracts. Broad-based comparisons, you gotta listen to the real money, not the agents.

I'm still mad at Overthecap and spotrac for switching their contract reporting from "full contract" to "new money/new years" reporting when the agents and media started pushing those numbers out. I hope virtually guaranteed doesn't become the new normal.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Interesting they'd go after Hardman when they already have an abundance of WR talent. Makes you wonder if Rodgers trade talks have progressed to a point of including a WR in the deal...?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
22 Mar 2023 13:49

Interesting they'd go after Hardman when they already have an abundance of WR talent. Makes you wonder if Rodgers trade talks have progressed to a point of including a WR in the deal...?
I think there’s always been a WR in the deal.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wilson
Lazard
Hardman
Mims
Davis
Moore

Douglas just sticking it to Aaron that they won’t sign Cobb.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok now we're cooking.

Moore to the Browns gives the Jets an extra 2nd rounder.

Moore to the Packers NEVER made sense from his size to his open feud with MLF's brother.

The Jets now have picks 13, 42, and 43

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Elijah Moore being traded to the Browns

Good, didn’t really want him. In Mike LaFleurs dog house, I’m sure Matt got the inside scoop. Clearly we didn’t want him very much.

I’d love 42 and 43 with 45 😛

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2023 14:46

Ok now we're cooking.

Moore to the Browns gives the Jets an extra 2nd rounder.

Moore to the Packers NEVER made sense from his size to his open feud with MLF's brother.

The Jets now have picks 13, 42, and 43
I’d be happy to flip them our third too then if it would be Jermaine Johnson and one of those two picks.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Can we just point out that going from Watson, Lazard, and Doubs to Wilson, Lazard, and Hardman is, like, not a big change? Jets do have way better TEs, though.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Considering what the Jets gave up for Hardman, perhaps Hardman is part of the package to GB? I’m just toying with that. We could use a good slot guy. But he isn’t the typical mold that we want from our WRs.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Mar 2023 15:51
We could use a good slot guy. But he isn’t the typical mold that we want from our WRs.
This offense prefers a bigger slot. If you look at the (2) offenses that were merged under MLF- you've got Shanahan with Deebo Samuel and McVay with a sizeable Kupp. They want those guys to contribute in the run game and the little slot WRs are useless for that. Nothing carved in stone, but those offenses & preferences offer a hint on how they'll replace Lazard
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
22 Mar 2023 16:32
This offense prefers a bigger slot. If you look at the (2) offenses that were merged under MLF- you've got Shanahan with Deebo Samuel and McVay with a sizeable Kupp. They want those guys to contribute in the run game and the little slot WRs are useless for that. Nothing carved in stone, but those offenses & preferences offer a hint on how they'll replace Lazard
MINNNNGOOOOOOO

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Mar 2023 15:51
Considering what the Jets gave up for Hardman, perhaps Hardman is part of the package to GB? I’m just toying with that. We could use a good slot guy. But he isn’t the typical mold that we want from our WRs.
Pretty sure they just signed Hardman, who was an urfa. We could have just signed him.a

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2023 16:46
MINNNNGOOOOOOO
Love it, this rep from Senior Bowl is a blast to watch

And this quote from your linked article is incredible:

“One of my favorite stories his high school coach told me was, his senior year, he caught a screen and his teammate missed the block,” Katz said. “He came back to the sidelines and told the coach he wanted to block. They ran the same play, to a different guy, and scored because of his blocking. After his career game against Vandy, I don’t think he had more than a catch in the next game. He was in the locker room talking about his blocking anyway, Lane Kiffin told us. He really, really cares. He’s the ultimate team player.”
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BSA wrote:
22 Mar 2023 17:00
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2023 16:46
MINNNNGOOOOOOO
Love it, this rep from Senior Bowl is a blast to watch

And this quote from your linked article is incredible:

“One of my favorite stories his high school coach told me was, his senior year, he caught a screen and his teammate missed the block,” Katz said. “He came back to the sidelines and told the coach he wanted to block. They ran the same play, to a different guy, and scored because of his blocking. After his career game against Vandy, I don’t think he had more than a catch in the next game. He was in the locker room talking about his blocking anyway, Lane Kiffin told us. He really, really cares. He’s the ultimate team player.”
Team guy, low on catches, good blocking. Perfect packer.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur