YoHo's Early Draft Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Oh also, Xavier Hutchinson's 4.53 was a solid time for him and his sub-7 second 3-cone was important. He's a guy who was a solid to very good player but you couldn't tell if it was all feel and scheme or if he had the required NFL athleticism, and while no one expected him to blow the doors off, he needed to hit the thresholds and he definitely checked that box

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Revisiting some Collegiate Bowl standouts at the combine
YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Jan 2023 13:09
Some NFLPA Collegiate Bowl standouts. All of these guys are ones you have to wait on the times and testing to see if they have NFL-level athleticism, as the Collegiate Bowl is mostly Day 3 types... but plenty to think about for our team.

WR Jason Brownlee
From the Athletic (listed by CBS as an "also stood out")
Brownlee (6-3, 202) was the most polished receiver I watched all week. He moved smoothly in the slot and outside, showed soft hands and ran his routes properly. He lost a rep in one-on-ones by stalling too long on his release, an issue he promptly fixed by being more aggressive off the line of scrimmage. If Brownlee tests well, he could provide value as a versatile receiver.
Brownlee also had a 61-yard catch in the game
image.png
image.png (22.82 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
plus 16 bench reps. Speed is marginal, but the jumps show some nice explosiveness
YoHoChecko wrote:
WR Malik Heath: 6-2 216, Ole Miss
From CBS: (not mentioned by The Athletic)
Heath played like a man amongst boys all week at the position, and he let it be known that he was playing well. You love that type of confidence in a receiver, both verbally and physically, and he backed up his talk with his play. Last year it was Braylon Sanders from Ole Miss who starred at the NFLPA Bowl; this year it was Heath.
image.png
image.png (31.38 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
Slow and unexplosive with good but not exceptional agility. Take 'em off the board.
YoHoChecko wrote:
Potential good-blocking slots?
WR Mitchell Tinsley: 5-11 207, Penn State

Tinsley had himself a stellar week. We always use the phrase "plays bigger than his size"; well, that aptly described Tinsley's week. It was surprising to see his measurements juxtaposed to how he performed. You would've thought he was 6-5, 225 with how big he played. He also displayed a lot of athleticism in terms of his footwork in and around the goal line.

image.png
image.png (33.73 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
Slightly below average in basically everything athletic, pretty good shuttle time, though. Really matches his scouting reports of being an unspectacular possession receiver with ball skills and zone awareness but a limited role and upside
YoHoChecko wrote:
DB Anthony Johnson Jr., Iowa State
From TheAthletic:
In the players to watch preview for the Collegiate Bowl, I mentioned Johnson (6-0, 207) as a player I wanted to see in an NFL defense because he was coming from a three-high-safety college system. Johnson isn’t the most comfortable in one-on-one matchups, but it’s easy to see how he accumulated more than 200 career tackles — he flew downhill with abandon multiple times this week.
From CBS:
It's always funny when you look up at practice and see a player who always has the ball in his hands -- who doesn't play offense. That was Johnson all week long. Whether it was driving on the ball and making the interception, catching one off of a tipped pass or flying up in run support, the former Cyclone was all over the field this week.
image.png
image.png (22.11 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
That's enough athleticism for a mid-to-late round developmental guy who is still learning the safety position after converting from corner. Multiple reports call him a quick-trigger downhill breaker, which is an excellent trait to hear about. I'd be intrigued if he's a mid-day 3 guy, like 5th round? But I don't know if that's where he's slotted. I've given up on finding a playmaking immediate starter in this class, but the "solid developmental starter with ball skills" is a really nice option

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Mar 2023 10:39
I've given up on finding a playmaking immediate starter in this class, but the "solid developmental starter with ball skills" is a really nice option
Maybe the next Amos ? He was a 5th rounder and took a little time to develop
IT. IS. TIME

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Packers will more than likely draft a middle to late-round QB prospect, any thoughts on that group? Thinking a guy like Jake Haener Freson sate or Stetson Bennett from UGA might be a nice fit?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

wizard 87 wrote:
18 Mar 2023 10:34
Packers will more than likely draft a middle to late-round QB prospect, any thoughts on that group? Thinking a guy like Jake Haener Freson sate or Stetson Bennett from UGA might be a nice fit?
I think the Packers will want more prototypical size and/or developmental upside. I’d bet on a Tyson Bagent or maybe a runner like DTR from UCLA. I genuinely hate the way the ball comes out of his hand when he throws, but if you work on his mechanics he could have a nice career as a backup or spot starter. Like a Minshew to Tyrod Taylor kind of spectrum.

Haener and Bennett have really good backup appeal with Brock Purdy potential, but that typically hasn’t been the Packers mold. Much more of a traits team

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So the 5 guys I want most (in order) in the top 50 picks are:

1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR
2. Nolan Smith, EDGE
3. Darnell Washington, TE
4. Darnell Wright, OT
5. Zay Flowers, WR

Top 5 guys I want most outside of the top 50 are:

1. Jonathan Mingo, WR
2. Zach Kuntz, TE
3. Sydney Jones, S
4. Jon Gaines II, OL
5. Darius Rush, CB

These 5s (particularly the second list) are likely to change as the process evolves, but I thought I'd start documenting my lists.

Karl Brooks and Adeboware are tough omissions. Braeden Daniels is up there, as is Andrei Iosivas. Plenty of other TEs I like.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Gotta say, I am utterly lukewarm on this draft class. JSN is the only guy that excites me, and I am glad that this class has lots of good athletes at TE so we can get a guy there to develop long-term.

But apart from that? If the Jets would rather send next year's first, that's honestly kinda fine with me.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
21 Mar 2023 12:15
Gotta say, I am utterly lukewarm on this draft class. JSN is the only guy that excites me, and I am glad that this class has lots of good athletes at TE so we can get a guy there to develop long-term.

But apart from that? If the Jets would rather send next year's first, that's honestly kinda fine with me.
I'd honestly use pick 13 to obtain an extra 1 next year anyway.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
21 Mar 2023 12:15

The first round stinks. There's very good depth at certain positions, which could make the middle rounds nice. The 6th and 7th rounds look weaker/thinner than in years' past, even (meaning fewer total prospects with draftable grades)

But strong middle rounds and "lukewarm" feelings about a draft class do go hand-in-hand.

I would LOVE to get JSN and Nolan Smith or Darnell Wright at 13 and 15, even though some think that's steep for the latter two. I don't really think it is. I'd love even more to get JSN and then trade down and still get Smith or Wright, obviously, which might be doable.

Next year may have a better draft class, but that player will be a rookie when we're trying to open our window in 2024. I want young guys and cheap contracts, but I want them ready in time for Love to perform. That's why I'm open to the idea of last year's draft picks, like Jermaine Johnson. Johnson would, in my view, be ranked ahead of LVN and Nolan Smith in this year's class, neck and neck with Miles Murphy. Johnson would essentially be like getting the 13th pick in THIS draft.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 Mar 2023 12:19

I'd honestly use pick 13 to obtain an extra 1 next year anyway.
I could see using 15 for that. But we gotta pick JSN before the Patriots do at 14 :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Mar 2023 12:28
The first round stinks. There's very good depth at certain positions, which could make the middle rounds nice. The 6th and 7th rounds look weaker/thinner than in years' past, even (meaning fewer total prospects with draftable grades)

But strong middle rounds and "lukewarm" feelings about a draft class do go hand-in-hand.
I actually kinda like the back end of 1 and early 2. That looks like a nice spot for multiple picks: Flowers, Mazi Smith, one of the C/G guys, whichever TEs and EDGEs are not scooped up earlier.

I would prefer two picks there than 13 and 15.
Next year may have a better draft class, but that player will be a rookie when we're trying to open our window in 2024. I want young guys and cheap contracts, but I want them ready in time for Love to perform. That's why I'm open to the idea of last year's draft picks, like Jermaine Johnson. Johnson would, in my view, be ranked ahead of LVN and Nolan Smith in this year's class, neck and neck with Miles Murphy. Johnson would essentially be like getting the 13th pick in THIS draft.
I agree generally, but in the 2023 draft, I feel inclined to make an exception there.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I saw one mock online that had the Pack getting the 13 and picking a CB from Illinois. What would you say about that?

I’m not against drafting defense at 13 and/or 15, because there are some good athletes to be had. But I hadn’t really imagined a CB. I wonder how special this guy is.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Mar 2023 13:14
I saw one mock online that had the Pack getting the 13 and picking a CB from Illinois. What would you say about that?

I’m not against drafting defense at 13 and/or 15, because there are some good athletes to be had. But I hadn’t really imagined a CB. I wonder how special this guy is.
His most common comp is Jaire, actually; so that's the sort of guy you're looking at. He's thinner/lighter, so there might be some durability concerns (doesn't appear to impact his run d or aggressiveness).

But you're right; a corner in round 1 when we have Jaire locked up, 2 more years with Rasul and 2 more years with Stokes' rookie deal would be a shock to me. I'd be disappointed, honestly. This is a very deep corner class. There are guys you can get on Day 3 that will pretty clearly have a role in this league and potential immediate starters on Day 2. It's probably the strongest position in the draft, top to bottom. So I wouldn't be surprised if we take one. But I would be surprised/disappointed if we do so before round 3.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Mar 2023 14:32
Scott4Pack wrote:

His most common comp is Jaire, actually; so that's the sort of guy you're looking at. He's thinner/lighter, so there might be some durability concerns (doesn't appear to impact his run d or aggressiveness).

But you're right; a corner in round 1 when we have Jaire locked up, 2 more years with Rasul and 2 more years with Stokes' rookie deal would be a shock to me. I'd be disappointed, honestly. This is a very deep corner class. There are guys you can get on Day 3 that will pretty clearly have a role in this league and potential immediate starters on Day 2. It's probably the strongest position in the draft, top to bottom. So I wouldn't be surprised if we take one. But I would be surprised/disappointed if we do so before round 3.
Agreed. It’s probably to be expected to draft a CB someplace for depth. But not in round 1.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
21 Mar 2023 12:49
I actually kinda like the back end of 1 and early 2. That looks like a nice spot for multiple picks: Flowers, Mazi Smith, one of the C/G guys, whichever TEs and EDGEs are not scooped up earlier.

I would prefer two picks there than 13 and 15.
Looking promising for this point of view 8-) :mrgreen:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
But I hadn’t really imagined a CB
Very curious to see what shakes out for the DBs in 2023.
Veteran coach Jerry Gray is gone and Gute commented about the "potential" for playing Rasul at Safety and Savage at nickle. He didn't say that's what's happening, he said it was something they looked into. Packers need more Safeties and more corners, but it would indeed be a surprise in the Top 15.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I have this problem in which I desperately want Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Andrei Iosivas, and Jonathan Mingo, but I also think it's unwise to draft 3 WRs making them essentially roster locks when we have 4 2nd-year receivers, two of which are roster locks and 2 of which are promising 7th-rounders, and we still need at least one veteran in the group.

But like. These three would be so so sweet
image.png
image.png (720.01 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
image.png
image.png (169.57 KiB) Viewed 1927 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I can’t even tell you how athletic and awesome this draft would make our team

The positions listed are a bit wacky. Tomi Adeboware and Karl Brooks would be more inside rushers, though Tomi can be a rush end as well. Brooks is a 3, 4i, 5-tech in my mind.

Martin is a free safety who can play nickel
pff_mock_results.png
pff_mock_results.png (466.78 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
In this event, I’d like to sign Taylor Rapp and probably a veteran RT to compete as insurance to our young group of tackles (Tom, Walker, Jones, Tenuta behind Bakh and Nijman)

And some low budget veteran WR.

But that’s really it.

We would immediately have one of the most athletic and versatile front 7s in the league; if we can coach them up and get good use out of them is a different story.

Our TE room with Ruckert, Deguara, Washington, and Kuntz is such a freaky combination of competence and upside.

Mingo as a big slot while Iosivas becomes Watson’s understudy is a fun addition to the WR mix.

Tons of interior OL competition, though no true Cs drafted

Man I’d flip. Also this draft would be MathBomb RAS-approved for sure. Absolute athletic animals in this group. They can play football, too.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2023 22:22
I have this problem
Yes, you most certainly do. :mrgreen:

And we all get a front row seat as you work through your draft problem.
Good stuff, thanks for all the legwork
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I remember some of you draft guys once talking about how Ted Thompson used to prefer the 10 yard split when choosing a WR to draft. Has that been a thing with Guty?