2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2023 13:35
The Stokley-Barry Rams defense had some lighter edge rushers like Leonard Floyd (in the low-to-mid 240s)
When Pettine was in GB he talked about the size thing for OLBs and said his scheme could work with either or both.
He called the lighter edge a " bitch kitty" . Matthews fit that role in GB and despite his diminutive size, Clay was an ass-kicker vs the run.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sheesh it only stayed great when the agility came in

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can’t wait for Bud to grace us this year with all his tape watching ability.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hot damn

Had zero idea he’d test like this. Great all around TE, huge frame, Uber athletic. Still pretty raw, but just a ton of upside.

Feel like a decently high floor, don’t think he’ll be bad, serviceable at worst, and pretty crazy high ceiling.

Although small hands. :lol:

Feel like he’s been a 4th round guy on draft sites, wouldn’t be surprised if he goes 2nd or high 3rd.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d really like to get 2 picks around 45- 70 on TE’s.

So many fun guys in that range, love two TE sets especially when the TE’s can kind of go both ways (unlike blocker Mercedes and wr Tonyan).

Get Watson on the field keeping safeties back, and a TE or two who can block any safety into the ground or torch any LB split out wide, that’d be Jones and Dillons best friends.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

image.png
image.png (458.72 KiB) Viewed 773 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Washington almost has to give as much up to move up 3 spots in the draft copared to the Jets getting Aaron Rodgers. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
19 Mar 2023 09:56
image.png
Don't understand using that high a pick on a WR #2. He is not going to replace Watson as WR#1, nobody is. And Shoonmaker is not going to be there in the 3rd round. Like your trades though

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

17 names to consider at WR in the draft--lots waiting on 3-cone times at the Pro Days.

You may recognize some names like Andrei Iosivas, Xavier Hutchinson, and Jonathan Mingo from my pre-combine draft crushes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wow, this Matt Landers kid that Aaron Nagler tweeted about is the MVS-iest prospect I've seen in a minute (for better and for worse)

Check out this evaluation:
Overview
Landers spent his first four seasons at Georgia, managing just 12 total catches before having a solid 2021 season at Toledo and then a stronger 2022 campaign at Arkansas. He’s still unrefined as a receiver, but his size, athleticism and potential as a ball-winner are noteworthy. He has legitimate build-up speed deep and his long strides help him separate. He’s a developmental prospect with upside and should hear his name called on Day 3 of the draft.

Strengths
  • Long, athletic strides create build-up speed.
  • Displayed big-play ability with long touchdowns.
  • Clever footwork and leverage to manipulate defenders.
  • Uses off-hand to battle boundary bullying on outside release.
  • Stacks defenders quickly when he beats them.
  • Maintains ball-tracking focus through handsy coverage.
  • Outstanding height/length to elevate and win deep.
Weaknesses
  • Struggled to win contested catches against Alabama.
  • Linear press release can lead to him being rerouted.
  • Sloppy slant routes allow coverage too much access.
  • Needs better physicality securing catch space underneath.
  • Drops arise from inconsistent catch technique.
  • Below-average lower body strength for run after catch.
Now check out height/weight/speed comps:
LANDERS
Height: 6043
Weight: 200
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.37
20 Yard (ET): 2.53
10 Yard (ET): 1.51
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'10"

MVS
Height: 6040
Weight: 206
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.37
20 Yard (ET): 2.58
10 Yard (ET): 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'04"

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, I don't know where to put this, but this thread is about draft thoughts and this is sort of a post about the draft...

the idea that Gutey never takes WRs in round one is a literal myth. He has not yet taken one. He has also not yet taken a TE in round one. Or an OL in round one. But people mock those there all the time.

The Packers rarely do so, but as we know have taken several round 2 guys. But we have credible reports that in 2020, the team was interested in trading up for a WR but the teams he was calling basically decided to take them themselves. And in 2022 we have credible reporting that the Packers were trying to move up for Watson prior to the 34th pick when they actually got him, including in the first round. The 34th pick was simply the earliest they got a taker on their trade efforts.

So in 5 drafts, Gutey has drafted 0 WRs, 0 TEs, and 0 OL, but he has tried to trade up for a WR twice. That indicates his WILLINGNESS to take a WR in the first clearly exists,. There's no rule against it; no guideline against it; not even a preference against it. It simply hasn't happened in 5 drafts. So if we take JSN at 13 or something, it's not some huge departure.

I may regret this post.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not sure if I’m school biased, but I haven’t been this sure a WR would flop since Marqise Lee

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This man is a very very raw former basketball player who started playing football as a TE and tried moving to OT in 2021 for the first time and has added weight from 265 to 302 in the past two years expected to go in the late rounds or priority UDFA.

He also grew up as a huge Packers fan 3 hours from Green Bay

The new Nijman?
image.png
image.png (21 KiB) Viewed 624 times

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Interesting commentary from Greg Cosell on Nolan Smith and other EDGE players

https://www.insidethebirds.com/philadel ... e-rushers/

Cosell:
Nolan Smith is really light, so the question is: Is he an edge pass rusher in the NFL? He was not a great pass rusher at Georgia. He looks great on the field, he’s incredibly athletic. I kept watching his tape thinking if he would be better off as a linebacker in the mold of Fred Warner.”

Tyree Wilson
Cosell: “This guy looks the part: size, length, athleticism, alignment versatility. This guy has opposing size and length. There’s a lot of flashes in his tape that lead you to believe he could become a complete edge rusher in the NFL: speed-to-power, quickness to clear the arc, he can counter inside.”

Myles Murphy
Cosell: “I thought he was much better in 2022 than 2021. He showed more bend and flexibility off of the edge. He’s another guy that has the traits, prototypical build for a 4-3 defensive end. He shows some explosion off of the ball, can attack the high side and win off of the edge, showed inside counters, strong hands. There were snaps he jarred offensive tackles with power in his hand strikes.”

Byron Young
Cosell: “He’s a guy that will play in five-man fronts. He’s sudden, twitchy, has great burst off of the ball as an edge pass rusher, has the body flexibility and that lean to clear the arc and flatten his rush path to the quarterback. Watching him, I saw a lot of Haason Reddick.”
IT. IS. TIME

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I think their first 4 picks are going to be;

DL/Edge
OT
Safety
TE

Not necessarily in that order…

Then they’ll take a QB later on…
Love is the answer…

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Foosball wrote:
22 Mar 2023 21:19

DL/Edge
OT
Safety
TE

Who are you talking about?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Mmmhmmm

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2023 21:26
Foosball wrote:

DL/Edge
OT
Safety
TE

No time right now buddy. Maybe closer to the draft.
Love is the answer…

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Foosball wrote:
22 Mar 2023 23:01
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2023 21:26
Foosball wrote:

DL/Edge
OT
Safety
TE

No time right now buddy. Maybe closer to the draft.
:rotf:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Ben Fennell loves the versatile DBs. You know who else always talks about versatile DBs ?

Gute

IT. IS. TIME