Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah the fans who are sweating over not signing FA's or not getting a trade done with the Jets I'm just like..."you just don't get it do you?"

We are in rebuild mode. Lower your expectations. We are not going to be contenders in 2023. 2023 is all about finding out if we have anything to work with at quarterback and that is about it.

Playoffs are a bonus but definitely not the bar. We can go 7-10 or 6-11 and still have a successful season just like we did in 2008.

Lower your expectations. You will enjoy the ride a lot more.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Having Saleh, MLF, Douglas, Gutey, Murphy, and Woody Johnson in the same complex this week means that either a deal gets done or I wouldn't count on it happening until either 24-48 hours before the draft or not until June

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2023 10:14
Yeah the fans who are sweating over not signing FA's or not getting a trade done with the Jets I'm just like..."you just don't get it do you?"

We are in rebuild mode. Lower your expectations. We are not going to be contenders in 2023. 2023 is all about finding out if we have anything to work with at quarterback and that is about it.

Playoffs are a bonus but definitely not the bar. We can go 7-10 or 6-11 and still have a successful season just like we did in 2008.

what about this defense speaks of needing rebuilding? or the OL, or special teams, this rebuild talk from you and others is a attempt to shield blame for a poor season on Love and our GM, it's nothing but hogwash.

I wont lower my expectations ( my expectations have always been more rational then yours) just because Guty decided to draft Rodgers replacement a couple years early

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I can't set expectations until I get a vision of what we have in Love in live action.

But I tend to agree more with Yoop that this roster isn't in need of a full rebuild. I think we're 6-7 players away from being a full roster. Given the cap, we likely can't get 7 GOOD players to fill the roster this year, but what we can get leaves very minimal holes.

starter quality players needed: one WR, two safeties, one DL, one edge rusher, one TE... maybe a RT, we'll see

Knock three of those out in the draft and and we're a borderline playoff roster right now, depending on QB play.

But I also agree with Go Pack Go that the roster approach will shift more towards youth and increased numbers of picks and patching things together for 1-2 years rather than a win-at-all-costs can-kicking approach to the salary cap and the veterans on the roster.

If we were going for a FULL rebuild, David Bakhtiari would have been traded not restructured. Preston Smith would have been a cap casualty instead of a restructuring. That's what rebuilding looks like--shedding large contracts over 30 and getting as many assets as you can for them. (what's crazy is that Rodgers, the punter, Bakh, and Preston are our only players at 30 and up)

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We are not in a full-blown rebuild, but a new starter at QB *is* a major change to the team. It not only changes a starter at a premium position, it changes the offense design, which will lead to changes across the supporting cast on O, and that spills into personnel management (getting guys to fit the roles that need be played). It will even likely change what we ask of our defense, which again spills into coaching and into personnel management.

The expectation for me in 2009 was playoffs. It was clear we had a good QB in Rodgers and good offense in general, but the defense needed fixing by the newly-hired DC. I expected it would take a season or two to get the defense up to par. Since 2010, my expectation has been SuperBowl, every year other than 2019 and even 2020 at first, because we again had a new coach that needed time.

But yeah, that is not the expectation for me in Love's first season. It wasn't in Rodgers's first season; that would have been ridiculous.

My expectation is to do about the same as this past season: middle-of-the-pack, outside chance of playoffs through a 6/7th-seed berth (I believe we can be good enough to seriously compete for it), which will come down to luck. I sure won't count on the same incredible luck we had this past season, where almost every game fell the way we needed it to... only for us to !@#$ it away ourselves in a win-and-in situation. :roll:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Mar 2023 11:02
I can't set expectations until I get a vision of what we have in Love in live action.

But I tend to agree more with Yoop that this roster isn't in need of a full rebuild. I think we're 6-7 players away from being a full roster. Given the cap, we likely can't get 7 GOOD players to fill the roster this year, but what we can get leaves very minimal holes.

starter quality players needed: one WR, two safeties, one DL, one edge rusher, one TE... maybe a RT, we'll see

Knock three of those out in the draft and and we're a borderline playoff roster right now, depending on QB play.

But I also agree with Go Pack Go that the roster approach will shift more towards youth and increased numbers of picks and patching things together for 1-2 years rather than a win-at-all-costs can-kicking approach to the salary cap and the veterans on the roster.

If we were going for a FULL rebuild, David Bakhtiari would have been traded not restructured. Preston Smith would have been a cap casualty instead of a restructuring. That's what rebuilding looks like--shedding large contracts over 30 and getting as many assets as you can for them. (what's crazy is that Rodgers, the punter, Bakh, and Preston are our only players at 30 and up)
I think I picked a 10 or 11 win season, I do expect Love to play well, I think we will draft a TE, edge rusher, not sure about a safety, we just brought two in, I'd find a UFA DT just like we did with Reed last year, also a vet receiver as well as drafting one

we simply had a lot of things go wrong last year and I think it clouds peoples judgement some, the defensive issues we had last season imho where mostly do to coaching, health or lack of was the main culprit with the OL, I don't expect a repeat of that, maybe I'am just more optimistic

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Lots of Jets fans in the ether (and some random media figures) reacting to the Lamar Jackson trade request announcement by rooting for the Jets to bail on Rodgers and go get Lamar and I will say right now, I too am rooting for that. It's the best case scenario. Lamar's asking price is outrageous; if the Jets get anywhere with him, I all but guarantee the Ravens match. And boom, one more option off the table. One more level of QB desperation for the Jets.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Mar 2023 10:51
go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2023 10:14

what about this defense speaks of needing rebuilding? or the OL, or special teams, this rebuild talk from you and others is a attempt to shield blame for a poor season on Love and our GM, it's nothing but hogwash.

I wont lower my expectations ( my expectations have always been more rational then yours) just because Guty decided to draft Rodgers replacement a couple years early
How about this?

Have the exact same expectations and bar level you had for Aaron Rodgers in the 2019, 2020, 2021 playoffs and 2022 regular season and you won't be disappointed by Love's play.

Now I can't say you won't be disappointed by the rest of the team's play, but you will be happy about QB.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It would not surprise me in the slightest if we have a better 2023 than 2022. I think we would have performed equal or better in 2022 if Love was QB as well. But that is more to do with our wins came from the Packers rather than the QB.

I can absolutely get on board that our team has a lot of reason to get excited about.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
27 Mar 2023 11:35
We are not in a full-blown rebuild, but a new starter at QB *is* a major change to the team. It not only changes a starter at a premium position, it changes the offense design, which will lead to changes across the supporting cast on O, and that spills into personnel management (getting guys to fit the roles that need be played). It will even likely change what we ask of our defense, which again spills into coaching and into personnel management.

The expectation for me in 2009 was playoffs. It was clear we had a good QB in Rodgers and good offense in general, but the defense needed fixing by the newly-hired DC. I expected it would take a season or two to get the defense up to par. Since 2010, my expectation has been SuperBowl, every year other than 2019 and even 2020 at first, because we again had a new coach that needed time.

But yeah, that is not the expectation for me in Love's first season. It wasn't in Rodgers's first season; that would have been ridiculous.

My expectation is to do about the same as this past season: middle-of-the-pack, outside chance of playoffs through a 6/7th-seed berth (I believe we can be good enough to seriously compete for it), which will come down to luck. I sure won't count on the same incredible luck we had this past season, where almost every game fell the way we needed it to... only for us to !@#$ it away ourselves in a win-and-in situation. :roll:
Ted thought so much of Bob Sander defense he fired him in 08, the QB switch wasn't the problem in 08 the defense was, and it'll be the same with the switch to Love, the guy has tutored in the same offense Lafleur brought here 5 years ago, there will be no need to change this offense for Love.

why anyone would have such dismal hopes that you proclaim doesn't wash for me, here you've been ragging on Rodgers and defending the team, wouldn't even accept the limitations last year I pointed out, and now want to blame the QB YOU'VE wanted versus expected improvement from the OL and defense :thwap:

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

I am fairly certain that we were not going to win another SB with AR. At this point in his career he is an average to slightly above QB at best. The loss of Adams exposed much of his eroded skills. Now maybe playing for another team will spark his effort, but I am skeptical.

Our only chance at a SB is if Love turns out to be really good. We might as well roll that dice.

As far as our needs, I don't think they are as bad as folks think.

I believe we need at least 2 TEs. One needs to be high draft pick and the other a solid vet.

I believe we need 1 or 2 Safeties.

We need a good "possession" wr.

I dont think we need a DL - although it never hurts to have extra big guys. I though Slayton or Slaton looked good and Wyatt also looked promising. Maybe a solid vet to add here.

Would like to see a OLB and an OT added, but more for future.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
27 Mar 2023 12:19
Labrev wrote:
27 Mar 2023 11:35

Ted thought so much of Bob Sander defense he fired him in 08, the QB switch wasn't the problem in 08 the defense was, and it'll be the same with the switch to Love, the guy has tutored in the same offense Lafleur brought here 5 years ago, there will be no need to change this offense for Love.

why anyone would have such dismal hopes that you proclaim doesn't wash for me, here you've been ragging on Rodgers and defending the team, wouldn't even accept the limitations last year I pointed out, and now want to blame the QB YOU'VE wanted versus expected improvement from the OL and defense :thwap:
I have no idea who you are talking to, certainly not me because I never said those things.

Neither do I know what makes you think improvement on defense is any guarantee. Our DCoord is utterly mediocre, had great talent this past year buy fielded a very lackluster unit this past year other than for like two games. I could easily see this go the same way as the Bates debacle in 2008.

Also, the HC fires the DC, not the GM.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

AmishMafia wrote:
27 Mar 2023 12:21
I dont think we need a DL - although it never hurts to have extra big guys. I though Slayton or Slaton looked good and Wyatt also looked promising. Maybe a solid vet to add here.
For DL, we just need more human beings capable of playing; it's a heavy rotational position and we only have 3 guys who have played a regular season snap of NFL football (Clark, Wyatt, Slayton) while Slaton and Ford are former inactives and PSers. You just can't count on that. So a person capable of holding up and playing real snaps is definitely necessary, even if I really like our top 2 guys and have warm feelings about 1 or 2 others.

EDGE is another one that has a heavy rotation and we don't know if/when Gary will be healthy, so having a 5th guy who can maybe push ahead of Hollins even though he was a useful rotational piece feels important.

But mostly agree; our needs aren't that bad. Safety is my biggest concern--the guys we have are promising but untested and more ST experienced than S experienced... and I don't like the Rasul move until proven otherwise. He was an awesome outside CB for us in 2021. We moved him to the nickel spot in 2022 and he was not that good. Stokes got hurt and we moved him outside again and he was very good again. I don't see the need to keep moving him out of what seems to be his best position, especially moving to a lower value position.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

No plan B

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Part of Rodgers reasoning to keep playing probably hinged on Hackett being in NY. No need to learn a new offense. Now Lazard is there too.

So I don’t see Rodgers going to another team. It’s the Jets, Packers, or retirement.

The GMS are all in AZ this week. Let’s Hope something happens
Love is the answer…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Mar 2023 13:02

No plan B
Pretty much all they can do is Lamar Jackson or trade up to around like 5 to get a QB.

Both would cost considerably more than Rodgers (from a trade standpoint) and both would completely punting on Wilson, which it seems like they don’t want to do.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Seems that whenever Rodgers has had his way with receiving personnel, the player(s) in question always flop. The Jets have a stout defense. I would have said that adding Rodgers would make them a Super Bowl contender but the fact that Lazard is now a Jet makes me think not.

That has been one of my 2 biggest frustrations with AR. Why does he pump up guys like Richard Rodgers, Tonyan, Cobb, etc.? I wanted him back on the Pack but if he's going to be all about playing with his "buddies" then good riddance. Play to win 'chips- plain and simple.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
27 Mar 2023 12:33
I responded to this, none of this is necessary, the scheme or the design of the offense will be the same for Love as it was with Rodgers, and personal changes we make this season have been long over due.

we went from Bob Sanders (06-08) to Dom Capers ( 09)as DC, Bates was prior to Sanders, and Sanders defense was the biggest issue we had in 08 for our record, not Rodgers, McCarthy had already changed his offensive schemes for the last season under Favre, and it'll be the same for Love, Lafluer wont need to change a thing.
also Rodgers was just as ready to win a SB in 08 as he was 2 years later, you've been saying that Love was better then Rodgers last season, yet your trying the build excuses for Love to have growing pains this year :idn:

our issues on defense last season revolved around communication problems in the secondary and the loss of Gary, both of those issues are fixable.
Last edited by Yoop on 27 Mar 2023 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

My guess is this happens after the draft and packers get the Jets 2024 one

Jets think Rodgers will save them and that will be a late one, packers aren’t so sure the whole thing isn’t gonna implode and the pick is still around #13.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23