Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
28 Mar 2023 22:07
Gutes pretty good with words. He's good with his words in public.

But lord have mercy on Mark Muprhy when an Aaron Rodgers topic comes up...
I tend to believe they're both deliberately strategic in the words they use and the timing of when they use them.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
28 Mar 2023 19:28
The great cast of receivers you keep talking about the Jets having is worse than the cast of receivers the Packers had in 2020 and 2021.
If the Jets had such great receivers, why is Lazard going there? While Lazard is not chopped liver, he is not Adams or Jennings or Nelson or even Jones. If the Jets had a very good WR group, he would be WR#3 but I am betting he is WR#2, same as in GB

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

per Charles Robinson, one of the sticking points of the Rodgers trade is NYJ wants certain protections against Rodgers retiring after playing only one season, such as GB sending them 2025 draft capital.
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-packer ... kYg_9H1FCm
A sticking point in the talks is the Jets seeking an element of protection built into the trade, specifically one that sends some 2025 draft compensation to New York from Green Bay if Rodgers does not play in 2024 and beyond.

It boils down to the Packers wanting “straight shot” draft picks without qualifiers, while the Jets want such high level of compensation to be based on 2023 team performance and Rodgers also playing for New York in 2024.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
29 Mar 2023 15:34
per Charles Robinson, one of the sticking points of the Rodgers trade is NYJ wants certain protections against Rodgers retiring after playing only one season, such as GB sending them 2025 draft capital.
A sticking point in the talks is the Jets seeking an element of protection built into the trade, specifically one that sends some 2025 draft compensation to New York from Green Bay if Rodgers does not play in 2024 and beyond.

It boils down to the Packers wanting “straight shot” draft picks without qualifiers, while the Jets want such high level of compensation to be based on 2023 team performance and Rodgers also playing for New York in 2024.
I can get behind contingencies of Rodgers playing a snap in 2024. But I cannot get behind contingencies of team performance. If Rodgers and/or the Jets stink...not our problem. If Rodgers only gives them a year, I can understand conditional picks being less in the overall trade.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Mar 2023 15:43
Labrev wrote:

I can get behind contingencies of Rodgers playing a snap in 2024. But I cannot get behind contingencies of team performance. If Rodgers and/or the Jets stink...not our problem. If Rodgers only gives them a year, I can understand conditional picks being less in the overall trade.
But its also kind of a nice mechanism. A 2nd, would just be 33-64.

Contingent on playoffs, we'd get 19 - I don't know, like 50?

And frankly, i'd like to cheer for the Jets and Rodgers, would be so much sweeter if their success led to us getting a better pick.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yeah I don't like team performance either because there are way too many variables that do not directly involve Rodgers' level of play.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:

Good article, if his “sources” have the right poop.
I would not object to the potential details that he describes. But I could also see Guty asking for more. No problem either way.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Of course they're not pursuing Jackson. They're after the bigger fish...

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:

Of course, Rodgers could settle the whole thing if he'd simply give the Jets assurances beyond the 2023 season.

The only reason he's not giving those assurances is because a) that'd eliminate the annual Jan-Apr Rodgers centric drama he seems to relish, and/or b) he wants to keep the Favre "one-and-done stick-it-to-them" option on the table.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
30 Mar 2023 09:08
Labrev wrote:

Of course, Rodgers could settle the whole thing if he'd simply give the Jets assurances beyond the 2023 season.

The only reason he's not giving those assurances is because a) that'd eliminate the annual Jan-Apr Rodgers centric drama he seems to relish, and/or b) he wants to keep the Favre "stick-it-to-them" option on the table.
or he wants his new team to give the packers as little as possible for his services
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:

The only reason he's not giving those assurances is because a) that'd eliminate the annual Jan-Apr Rodgers centric drama he seems to relish, and/or b) he wants to keep the Favre "one-and-done stick-it-to-them" option on the table.
Or he might not be sure if he wants to play more than one more year. Wasn't he entertaining the notion of retirement before he went into his darkness retreat?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Mar 2023 09:13
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:

The only reason he's not giving those assurances is because a) that'd eliminate the annual Jan-Apr Rodgers centric drama he seems to relish, and/or b) he wants to keep the Favre "stick-it-to-them" option on the table.
or he wants his new team to give the packers as little as possible for his services
How then does that square with his assertion of still being capable of playing at an MVP level? Even the self-centered Rodgers knows the NFL is, first and foremost, a business and that acquiring a player capable of MVP level play holds significant value.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:

I was definitely thinking this as soon as he said he was 90% retirement. Really don't think it was ever a whole lot of doubt.

I am pretty sure the Jets wanted a 2 year commitment, I think Aaron gave it, and frankly I think the Packers know that as well.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
30 Mar 2023 09:25
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

How then does that square with his assertion of still being capable of playing at an MVP level? Even the self-centered Rodgers knows the NFL is, first and foremost, a business and that acquiring a player capable of MVP level play holds significant value.
what does Rodgers playing at an MVP level have to do with Rodgers not wanting to reward the Packers with loot from his new team on his way out the door?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I would have zero issue giving back a 2025 2nd if Rodgers retires if it means in exchange we get two 2nd-round picks in 2023. I know that's not quite the reported offer, but it's in the ballpark.

I would also love to make the 2025 2nd conditionally reduced to a 3rd based on Rodgers' 2023 performance.

So, like, for 2025:
- Jets get nothing if Rodgers plays in 2024.
- Jets get a 3rd round pick if Rodgers retires after 2023 but he is all-pro/MVP/the Jets reach the AFC Championship Game or whatever
- Jets get a 2nd round pick if Rodgers retires after 2023 and he does not meet performance thresholds

Giving back means that we get the value now, which is more valuable than getting a pick later. And it gives us ample time to attempt to manipulate our draft capital to recoup the potentially lost pick through other moves.

I still want Ruckert.

I don't want Corey Davis only because we can't afford him. I'd just so much rather spend Corey Davis money on a safety or DT. But if they're working on a reduced price, his skillset is a nice addition to the room, though I don't think he really constitutes any sort of veteran wisdom or leadership, given that he's been in the league for several years and still runs sloppy routes.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:20
I don't want Corey Davis only because we can't afford him. I'd just so much rather spend Corey Davis money on a safety or DT. But if they're working on a reduced price, his skillset is a nice addition to the room,
If GB structures a revised deal and spreads it out, I think you're looking at a $2-3M cap hit in 2023. Its a challenge to find a viable vet WR for that price so including him in the trade makes sense. OTC valuation on him was $4.8M for 2022. Rodgers was talking Davis up recently, I wasn't sure if that was him goosing the trade value or what.

https://overthecap.com/player/corey-davis/5589

some highlights here and there are more from his time in Tenn.

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:45
YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:20
I don't want Corey Davis only because we can't afford him. I'd just so much rather spend Corey Davis money on a safety or DT. But if they're working on a reduced price, his skillset is a nice addition to the room,
If GB structures a revised deal and spreads it out, I think you're looking at a $2-3M cap hit in 2023. Its a challenge to find a viable vet WR for that price so including him in the trade makes sense. OTC valuation on him was $4.8M for 2022. Rodgers was talking Davis up recently, I wasn't sure if that was him goosing the trade value or what.

https://overthecap.com/player/corey-davis/5589
I don’t want to trade for dead cap space in 2024. Ken Ingalls recently posted that we’re already over the 2024 cap without even considering that Gary will be on the team. It’s time to stop taking on money and “spreading it out.”

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:55
I don’t want to trade for dead cap space in 2024. Ken Ingalls recently posted that we’re already over the 2024 cap without even considering that Gary will be on the team. It’s time to stop taking on money and “spreading it out.”
Why would it be dead cap space if Corey is playing for the Packers in 2024 ?

And Ken Ingalls can kiss my ample ass - I'm so sick and tired of his sky- is- falling rhetoric on the cap. What a putz
IT. IS. TIME