2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Mar 2023 20:43
So he’s one of those guys whose his profile screams 4th round with upside, but there’s this unteachable X factor about how much they WANT it. How hard they want to finish. How whistle to whistle they are.

Walker has the talent to develop into an All Pro but on his current trajectory is a guy who looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He reminds me of that guy we drafted n the 5th round 2009, Jamon Meredith, who actually ended up having a below average career as a rotational tackle and eventually starting guard, but bounced around the league for several years.

If something unknowable ever sparks, and he becomes dedicated to making his living playing football and adjusts his internal motivation, we have a helluva player. If it doesn’t, he might be 27 before he ever plays a meaningful down if at all.

It’s all about the demeanor, attitude, and commitment with him.
I should add, ever the optimist, I think he'll get there for us.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Mar 2023 20:28
Fun draft

Don’t love or even like Bryce Ford-Wheaton but good group overall.
I would have guessed you’d really like him. He’s a freak’s freak.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
31 Mar 2023 22:15
YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Mar 2023 20:28
Fun draft

Don’t love or even like Bryce Ford-Wheaton but good group overall.
I would have guessed you’d really like him. He’s a freak’s freak.
Yeah his testing was bonkers. I went through the process. Like LOVE let’s check out the highlights/cutups. And then just disappointment. Like I just can’t see any of the traits in his play. He looks further away than MVS was when MVS came into the league. Very similar players.

I just see more instincts and skill and development in some similar players like Matt Landers in that range.

And like MVS was a helluva 5th round pick. Do the comparison isn’t a strong argument against him. But it’s also not a strong argument for him.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremia ... ings-pick-

This 1st round NFL mock draft is kind of a nightmare scenario for us picking #15. JSN, LVN, Nolan Smith all off the board. He has us taking Paris Johnson but there's no one really great available.

Not a good draft to be picking in the middle. Unless multiple really stupid decisions are made ahead of us (always a realistic possibility), we need to move, up or down.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
01 Apr 2023 13:44

This 1st round NFL mock draft is kind of a nightmare scenario for us picking #15. JSN, LVN, Nolan Smith all off the board. He has us taking Paris Johnson but there's no one really great available.

Not a good draft to be picking in the middle. Unless multiple really stupid decisions are made ahead of us (always a realistic possibility), we need to move, up or down.
That would be my 2nd favorite scenario.

Johnson played pretty much a full year at RG, should be an instant plug and play upgrade this year there. Elite long term LT prospect.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Getting intrigued with Myles Murphy. I would prefer Smith or LVN, but I can dig him.
—Magneto

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

The two players I want in this draft (at our current draft positions) are Miles Murphey and Jordan Battle.
Love is the answer…

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
01 Apr 2023 13:44

I absolutely disagree. I think us bein at 15 is a GREAT spot. We are guaranteed a top player or we are in a prime spot for one of the last prime players and that means teams will want to trade for our pick.

We may not get the top player at our desired position but I absolutely will not complain if we have to settle for Paris Johnson or Bijan Robinson at 15.

But without question right now my draft crush for 15 is Jaxon Smith Njigba. I think he is a perfect fit for GB.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't think Johnson is what the doctor ordered for us at OL. We need bullies on the interior. Johnson is primarily a Tackle and moving people is not his game.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
02 Apr 2023 17:32
I don't think Johnson is what the doctor ordered for us at OL. We need bullies on the interior. Johnson is primarily a Tackle and moving people is not his game.
I'm genuinely close to putting Darnell Wright as OT1.

I think Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson, and Broderick Jones are more highly rated because we got used to them being more highly rated. None is without flaws and drawbacks; not s a can't-miss prospect that would go in the top 5 or 10 like OL do in some years.

And I think I like Wright's strengths more than I like theirs right now.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Apr 2023 17:57
Labrev wrote:
02 Apr 2023 17:32
I'm genuinely close to putting Darnell Wright as OT1.

I think Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson, and Broderick Jones are more highly rated because we got used to them being more highly rated. None is without flaws and drawbacks; not s a can't-miss prospect that would go in the top 5 or 10 like OL do in some years.

And I think I like Wright's strengths more than I like theirs right now.
Brian Bulaga, to short, to light, short armed, same stuff being said of Skoronski, :lol: being tech sound and ready and able to play all 5 positions also helps, 3 years without a sack, some draft mocks have him going off first top 10, the other two, or even Wright may have a higher expected ceiling, but Skoronski's floor seems higher then the rest.

again limited investigation, just highlight vids

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
02 Apr 2023 18:28
Brian Bulaga, to short, to light, short armed, same stuff being said of Skoronski, being tech sound and ready and able to play all 5 positions also helps, 3 years without a sack, some draft mocks have him going off first top 10, the other two, or even Wright may have a higher expected ceiling, but Skoronski's floor seems higher then the rest.

again limited investigation, just highlight vids
Bulaga had more of a mauler's attitude. Skoronski is an under-powered technician. His floor is very high, you're right. But I see his ceiling as being good, not great. He's not all that different than a guy you can get two rounds later, honestly. He's just a little more ready than they are.

I know we're a zone blocking team and we can do good things with under-powered athletic OL... but we have those guys. An upgrade means adding power without sacrificing athleticism. And that's what I'm looking for. Skoronski is, like, an immediate upgrade from JRJ but maybe not from Yosh Nijman, who had surprisingly good run blocking last year. I mean that.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I think I'm a Skoronski guy, not that I am overly in love with him, but he looks like a guy who can excel inside and give us *some* push inside.

Bakhtiari/Tom at LT, nice athletes, neither will move anyone, that's fine at LT though. Jenkins is a wall-off blocker at LG. Myers flashes great play at C but does not do it consistently. Runyan is a pass-pro guy at G, so is Nijman at either T spot.

'Just not enough bully ball on the OL, and it was a big reason Detroit owned us.

*edit* just saw YoHo's new post. The scouting reports I've read say that Skoronski has good strength. Not a dominant mauler but gets solid push.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Has anyone seen/found a reliable Pro Day results tracker? NFL DraftScout seems to take some time to input the info and almost all the biggest schools have had their pro days, but the actual times--mostly agility drills testing--is absent from most pro day recaps. I just want results of the testing! I don't need puff piece profiles of the players attending

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

He’s kind of an odd duck, ey?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

From the 33rd Team
Bill Polian on the final stages of setting the board

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/nf ... aft-board/

We had two large boards in our draft room. One was in the front, which faced all of us as we were seated at our table, brilliantly known as the “front board.” The so-called “backboard” was behind us. The front board consisted of players graded from Rounds 1-7 in our grading scale. Again, brilliantly, the grades corresponded directly to the round in which the player was placed. The color of his card reflected his grade.
For example, players in Rounds 4-7 were purples.

Players who did not make the front board bore the color green and were referred to as “greenies.” Many of these players were signed after the draft as free agents, and a significant portion made a team.

The beauty of such a system is every team has a historical database used to compare today’s players with those of yesteryear. As a result, we can compare the verified measurables of Bryce Young (scouting report) with Drew Brees, a shorter quarterback who will soon be in the Hall of Fame.

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Incidentally, I also rank these WRs that way. High praise for JSN (and of course MHjr)

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

The 33rd team checking in with their Packers mock: Offense

IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Heard that 4 QB's have ever gone in the top 10 before.

Seems all but a lock this year. Maybe as high as 4 in the top 7.

Rumors of Titans trying to get to pick 3 might also force Raiders or Falcons or other, could just flat out be top 4 picks are all QB's this year.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2023 09:00
Heard that 4 QB's have ever gone in the top 10 before.

Seems all but a lock this year. Maybe as high as 4 in the top 7.

Rumors of Titans trying to get to pick 3 might also force Raiders or Falcons or other, could just flat out be top 4 picks are all QB's this year.
I would really be surprised to see Levis go top 10 let alone top 5. I just don’t see it but who knows with these desperate and perpetual bad teams.
Cancelled by the forum elites.