RIP John Brockington

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

JKB
Reactions:

RIP John Brockington

Post by JKB »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Some of my first memories as a Packer fan were of John Brockington bulldozing would be tacklers on his way to the end zone. He was a handful, to be sure.

RIP John.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

That's when all we had was Brockington and Lane. #42 and #36. Chester Marcol. And I suppose Fred Carr, Willie Buchanon and Ken Ellis on defense too. Most of the guys still on the 1972 team (Packers went 10 - 4) from the Glory Years teams were nearing the end of their primes. Bowman, Dale, Bob Brown, Robinson and Nitschke for example.

Here's some clips from the 1972 Divisional Playoff Game at RFK. Fast forward to about the 5 minute mark to see Brockington and Lane in action.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Size 60 on eBay right now.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
01 Apr 2023 09:40

That's when all we had was Brockington and Lane. #42 and #36. Chester Marcol. And I suppose Fred Carr, Willie Buchanon and Ken Ellis on defense too. Most of the guys still on the 1972 team (Packers went 10 - 4) from the Glory Years teams were nearing the end of their primes. Bowman, Dale, Bob Brown, Robinson and Nitschke for example.

Here's some clips from the 1972 Divisional Playoff Game at RFK. Fast forward to about the 5 minute mark to see Brockington and Lane in action.
This is much better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jbjGryycjA

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Apr 2023 13:29
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
01 Apr 2023 09:40

This is much better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jbjGryycjA
Thanks much! John Brockington definitely had some Earl Campbell and John Riggins in his running / battering style. That TD pass from Donny Anderson (left handed throw) to Brockington must have been his rookie year. AJ Dillon has some catching up to do.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Brock ran in Jimmy Taylor’s shadow, playing only a short time after Taylor moved on. Those first two seasons, there were dreams of glory for 42.

I’m not sure what happened to Brock after those first seasons. It seemed his running style changed and he was never as effective. Injuries? Or something else. In either case, he was great, if only for a short time.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Sorry to see him go. He was a beast!

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

APB wrote:
01 Apr 2023 09:18
Some of my first memories as a Packer fan were of John Brockington bulldozing would be tacklers on his way to the end zone. He was a handful, to be sure.

RIP John.
Same with me. I was just a little too young to remember the Lombardi glory years. Brockington was a bright spot in an otherwise dismal era of Packers football.