Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

That was a lot of words yoop, but not sure if you said anything really.

But yes, like I said, we will pay Gary for what we think he will do. Not sure how that is controversial.

And he plays a more premium position than Simmons and they simply get paid more, on average.

And Yes. We all realize you hopped on that Simmons bandwagon 2 years after he was drafted and already good then pretended like it was you desire the whole time, whilst poor devin bush gets the silent treatment now.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Simmons is a nice player but he's not been this unbelievable stud he's made out to be by the folks that lament us passing him up. The guy you could actually say that about who was also available to us at 12 that year is Dexter Lawrence, dude has been a monster.

He's the only guy I'd take over Gary if we had a do-over of that draft (if there's only 1 guy you can think of who'd be better to have, you probably made a good pick).

He also wasn't caught on tape punching a woman, so GB probably had him on their big board unlike Simmons.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Apr 2023 22:37
Simmons is a nice player but he's not been this unbelievable stud he's made out to be by the folks that lament us passing him up. The guy you could actually say that about who was also available to us at 12 that year is Dexter Lawrence, dude has been a monster.

He's the only guy I'd take over Gary if we had a do-over of that draft (if there's only 1 guy you can think of who'd be better to have, you probably made a good pick).

He also wasn't caught on tape punching a woman, so GB probably had him on their big board unlike Simmons.
Lawrence finally played up to draft slot taken last season, till then he was a 2 down run stuffing NT, and why I didn't give him the nod during that draft.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
07 Apr 2023 22:37

Simmons was a locked top 5 pick before tearing his ACL. That was the correct pick then and it’s the correct pick now. There’s no mistaking that.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

OBJ chooses the Ravens over the Jets and other teams. Signed with BAL per Rappoport
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
09 Apr 2023 17:28
OBJ chooses the Ravens over the Jets and other teams. Signed with BAL per Rappoport
OBJ would rather play with "I don't know who the QB is" than with Rodgers who asked for him

- bs headline

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Jets had a crowded WR room. Baltimore is pretty thin. Makes sense to me. He can start and earn a better shot at getting a final pay day.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Apr 2023 19:02
BSA wrote:
OBJ would rather play with "I don't know who the QB is" than with Rodgers who asked for him

- bs headline
It looks like OBJ's choice came down to money, pure and simple.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Apr 2023 19:38
Simmons was a locked top 5 pick before tearing his ACL.
*and getting caught on tape punching a woman. Don't forget that part! (For which reason, GB was never going to draft him, whoever they ended up taking at 12).
That was the correct pick then and it’s the correct pick now. There’s no mistaking that.
It's patently not the correct pick now; Lawrence is a more special talent at the same position.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I vociferously advocated for Lawrence that year.

Hadn’t paid attention. Didn’t realize he got so good. Cool

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

no way I'd ever use a pick that high with the projection he'll be good in 3 to 4 years, except for a QB, obviously ya hope players continue to improve through out there rookie contract, but that is to low of a floor for me.

basically your paying for little production during that time and when/if he does pop your going to have to pay a lot to keep him, that just doesn't make any sense to me, D&D should not be so prevalent with top 20 picks, I will never be able to wrap my head around selecting a edge rusher after we had just spent so much on that position a month prior to that draft.

now obviously I'am happy he produced 2 years ago, but still doesn't mean I'd have ever made that pick.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 Apr 2023 08:06
lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Apr 2023 19:38
Simmons was a locked top 5 pick before tearing his ACL.
*and getting caught on tape punching a woman. Don't forget that part! (For which reason, GB was never going to draft him, whoever they ended up taking at 12).
That was the correct pick then and it’s the correct pick now. There’s no mistaking that.
It's patently not the correct pick now; Lawrence is a more special talent at the same position.
one year wonder so far, Raji was a terror for 2 seasons, we'll see how good Lawrence is once he's paid

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
10 Apr 2023 04:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Apr 2023 19:02
BSA wrote:

- bs headline
It looks like OBJ's choice came down to money, pure and simple.
Don't they all do it for the money? this aint Daddy's nfl any more :)

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Hey, remember when Errant seriously claimed that one of the advantages of having him at QB is he makes star players want to join his team?

That was funny! :mrgreen:
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 Apr 2023 11:02
Hey, remember when Errant seriously claimed that one of the advantages of having him at QB is he makes star players want to join his team?

That was funny! :mrgreen:
blasphemer :rotf:

Wandy Moss would push team mates out of the way just to Watch Rodgers play, or was that Favre :idn:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
10 Apr 2023 10:04
I will never be able to wrap my head around selecting a edge rusher after we had just spent so much on that position a month prior to that draft.
Its actually the perfect scenario. You grab the Smith Bros, pay them well in FA and draft their replacement ( Gary) at the same time. The young stud gets to to learn from the Old Masters, isn't under immense pressure to produce immediately and when he's ready - you let one of the Smiths go. That you can't wrap your head around it is dumbfounding. Its an ideal roster-building scenario

* unrelated * - Yoop - have you ever spent time in Kingsford, MI ?
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
10 Apr 2023 11:32
Yoop wrote:
I will never be able to wrap my head around selecting a edge rusher after we had just spent so much on that position a month prior to that draft.
Its actually the perfect scenario. You grab the Smith Bros, pay them well in FA and draft their replacement ( Gary) at the same time. The young stud gets to to learn from the Old Masters, isn't under immense pressure to produce immediately and when he's ready - you let one of the Smiths go. That you can't wrap your head around it is dumbfounding. Its an ideal roster-building scenario
It also makes sense if you go back to the time and try to view it without hindsight. Both Smith's were not the studs at that time. There were some big questions marks surrounding them as they were just above average performers up to that point. That said Gary played about 50% of the defensive snaps in 2020. 3 OLBs are necessary.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 10 Apr 2023 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

What makes drafting a "backup" EDGE high justifiable is, you can still play those guys! And their contribution is significant. Philadelphia illustrates that nicely, paying big bucks for Hason Reddick (a greater investment of resources than a first-round draft pick) even when they had former first round pick Brandon Graham, who is still a very effective pass-rusher.

For one, it's not like QB or OL where they only play when the starter is hurt; every team rotates EDGEs. Calling them "backups" at all is a misnomer because they are not just waiting around to play. #2 guys can and sometimes do get half the snaps. They are playing significant snaps, and can measurably impact the game.

For two, it helps keep your starters fresh, so the true starters' play does not taper off as the game goes on. For three, it puts stress on the opposing offense. They can't relax when the starters come out of the game because even the #2 guys are tough in their own ways.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
10 Apr 2023 11:32
Yoop wrote:

* unrelated * - Yoop - have you ever spent time in Kingsford, MI ?
Been there a few times, never lived there, worked on the Champion paper mill in 1989 for about a year, BSA are you a yooper?

I would have went with either of Simmons, Lawrence, or a WR once the ILBs where gone, or slid back for Fant.

I admit to being a fixer type of wannabe GM, imo BPA is a luxury in todays NFL, and the team had other more needy positions once we bought the Smith brothers.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Labrev wrote:
10 Apr 2023 11:42
every team rotates EDGEs. Calling them "backups" at all is a misnomer because they are not just waiting around to play. #2 guys can and sometimes do get half the snaps. They are playing significant snaps, and can measurably impact the game.
Ideally you'd like your starters to play about 65 % of the snaps at EDGE and the backups take 35 %. Keeps everybody fresh as you noted.
In the 3-4 scheme - they typically are smaller/lighter than a 4-3 DE and they are going against OTs who outweigh them by 75 lbs.
That's a hard days work
IT. IS. TIME