Packers Prospect Interest and Meetings

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Apr 2023 14:14
BSA wrote:
07 Apr 2023 14:01
BF004 wrote:
07 Apr 2023 13:27
Where did this guy pop out of? Doesn't even look familiar to me, but that is quite the resume.
He almost seems like more of a Lowry replacement at 5-Tech than a true EDGE at 285 lbs
Oh man. He was in a TON of first round mocks around Senior Bowl time. He, like Karl Brooks, played standup, pass rush, interior, pass coverage in college even at that size. A guy who has incredible versatility but you’re not sure what translates.

Cool that we’re interested, since I’m way in on the hybrid DL guys this year like Brooks, Adeboware, and White.

I think he slipped under Packers draft radars because so many felt he was a 20-35ish puck kind of guy early. But you’re right that his buzz sort of faded. He probably got drowned out by the Adeboware buzz when a similarly sized/role player put up shocking numbers at the combine.

But he’s been a legit guy throughout the postseason process and by most accounts has better take than Adeboware. Just sort of missed our normal circles, kind of like Tucker Kraft at TE. Perfectly legitimate prospect/need/draft stock fit that is so often a second or third choice that he doesn’t get mentioned.
That is more of the floor I was expecting to see, but I see him like 4th round ranking more often than not when scouring around him.

No COD numbers, but with that jumping, and a great bench with long arms, can't imagine not getting some real nice bull rush reps from him off the edge even if he plays inside more.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This RB Lew Nichols III from Central Michigan came for a visit.

No testing because of a hamstring injury

5'9 1/2" 222 pounds, so a nice thick back.

His 2021 was wildly successful and his 2022 was legit bad, then he got injured. His highlights are pretty fun. Lots of squeezing through small holes, a nice jump-cut, some wiggle, good power and contact balance....

...but with so much lower level competition it's tough to see just how much acceleration and juice there really is. His straight line speed looks fine but not great; like a typical 4.55-4.6 RB; but the long speed isn't the point.

Anyway, hopefully the Packers' visit gets some clarity on some situations there. He said he wouldn't be cleared until May, so there won't be a full workout before the draft, but he did register a 37" vertical and 22 bench reps.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Apr 2023 20:59
This RB Lew Nichols III from Central Michigan came for a visit.
Packers gotta keep stocking the shelves, but I wonder about spending draft capital in 2023 on RB. I think A. Jones is gonna be a Packer in 2024 after taking the paycut and we already have Patrick Taylor and Tyler Goodson as decent depth. Bisaccia seems to prefer using Safeties over RBs on STs and the Packers have Nixon on KR.

So what's left for a new RB ? Maybe just a spot on the Practice Squad.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
11 Apr 2023 10:54
we already have Patrick Taylor and Tyler Goodson as decent depth.
Patrick Taylor and Tyler Goodman are not good enough reasons not to take a Day 3 RB that you believe is an improvement. Sure, they're fine; but like you said, gotta keep stocking the shelves. Remember that the team THOUGHT they had Kylin Hill before landing at the decision that he's not worthwhile off the field.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wait, toughness, smarts, athleticism and coming off a 64% passing completion season?

Should I be taking this QB official visit seriously as a late round option? (UDFA maybe, but with four 7th rounders... :idn: )
image.png
image.png (183.92 KiB) Viewed 507 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Apr 2023 12:31
I came here to post this. Thrilled

:banana:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Interesting bringing Mafi in. He's a guy who couldn't work out pre draft due to an injury. His bio is weird. Former DL, switched to OL halfway through college. Had massive weight issues before getting that together, so something to monitor. Generally considered to have "enough" mobility rather than that being his strength.

He had some nice reviews from people I like along the process, and Ben Fennell compared him this week to Chris Kemoeatu, which tells me nothing but might mean something to someone here.

Mauch (also in for a visit) and Mafi's linemate Jon Gaines are more the standard "uber athletic" mold of guys that we have historically liked and had success with. Gutey seems to want to get bigger and more powerful on the OL and is willing to stretch the athletic thresholds a little, but thus far, I'm not sure I'm loving how that's worked out.

Obviously, big, nasty, AND athletic is best. Mauch needs to add strength (a lot) before he plays but has the demeanor. Mafi has the size and demeanor but sacrifices some athleticism. Mauch may go around our second round pick(s) but I personally view him as more of a 3rd rounder because I think he needs a year before he can start. That view is not common among evaluators.

Also interesting that all the top TEs (and that rando from Baylor) seem to be on the visit list.

The List:
1. TE Darnell Washington, Georgia
2. OLB Will McDonald IV, Iowa State
3. S Jordan Howden, Minnesota
4. DB Jammie Robinson, Florida State
5. WR Dontayvion Wicks, Virginia
6. RB Keaton Mitchell, East Carolina
7. S/LB Marte Mapu, Sacramento State
8. QB Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
9. OT Darnell Wright, Tennessee
10. OLB/DL Keion White, Georgia Tech
11. RB Lew Nichols III, Central Michigan
12. QB Sean Clifford, Penn State
13. RB Evan Hull, Northwestern
14. DL Jaquelin Roy, LSU
15. TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah
16. OLB/DL Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern
17. TE Ben Sims, Baylor
18. TE Michael Mayer, Notre Dame
19. OL Atonio Mafi, UCLA
20. CB Tyrique Stevenson, Miami

Stevenson is one of the best options for a CB to S conversion; wonder if that's in the discussion on the visit.

Also really think Roy could be a fit for us at DT in the mid rounds

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
14 Apr 2023 09:54
Bad long speed. Good c.o.d.

Also only 6'1" not 6'2"

Slow and not strong doesn't excite me, but he's getting a lot of looks, so I'm guessing people see a viable underneath slot option
image.png
image.png (44.56 KiB) Viewed 365 times

Maybe get stronger and comp to this guy?
image.png
image.png (132.67 KiB) Viewed 366 times

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Few years ago, we never visited with Gary. Gute said they were already totally sold on him.

This year they’ve met with pretty much every top TE.

I’m sure some of it is due diligence, I’m sure some is gamesmanship, not trying to tip their hand.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2023 11:40
I think Wicks and Cole Tucker qualify as “R4-R7 WRs”

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
17 Apr 2023 12:52
I’m sure some of it is due diligence, I’m sure some is gamesmanship, not trying to tip their hand.
Absolutely.
Every team is busy collecting info on as many players as possible - they're all building the database. This is the ONE chance they have to meet/talk with the player for the next 3-4 years. So they take advantage of that opportunity, even if they have no plans on actually drafting the guy in April.
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2023 11:40
This lines up pretty neatly with where (from my amateurish analysis) the value is by position in this draft. Lots of good TEs, for example, but no one amazing enough to warrant being drafted high in the 1st; Day 2 is the place to get a top guy.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto