Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
12 Apr 2023 17:50

Yeah, f them, I just hold.

We look stupid, but our brass all in it together and their future tied to Love, not this trade. After three 13 win seasons, they are safe for a bit and it’s all about if Love is good or bad.

Saleh and Douglas are legit gone if this falls through. They lost their last 7 of 8, dicked with their cap, and honestly didn’t get any better this offseason. There is no way you can throw out Wilson after this offseason, it would be a total joke. He, nor that locker room, and clearly the FO couldn’t have any faith in him.
They will be judged as a pre and post Rodgers team. If they are poor any prior packer accolades will be attributed to Rodgers. If they are good then it will validate them.

This year will be fine but if they are bad 2 years in a row I suspect a new president will come on board end of season with Murphy to retire in 2025 and they will bring in their own people.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

BF004 wrote:

We look stupid, but our brass all in it together and their future tied to Love, not this trade. After three 13 win seasons, they are safe for a bit and it’s all about if Love is good or bad.

Saleh and Douglas are legit gone if this falls through. They lost their last 7 of 8, dicked with their cap, and honestly didn’t get any better this offseason. There is no way you can throw out Wilson after this offseason, it would be a total joke. He, nor that locker room, and clearly the FO couldn’t have any faith in him.
I'd have thought that in the position the Jets are, if they get one good (ie. division winning) season out of Rodgers, it's worth a first round pick.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers was not 90% retired. He knew what he was doing when he said that, and he was correct. He doesnt want to rob his new squad of assets he wants to use on the field.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:

I don't buy this. Rodgers said the "90% thing" on the McAfee show after Rodgers said the decision between the Jets and Rodgers was already announced.

Woody, for every Russel Wilson trade, there is a Matthew Stafford trade. Think of the ring.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Apr 2023 18:05
I’m okay with two 2nds, so I’d be thrilled if the Jets give this to GB.
I am too. And then trade down from #15 and get a late 1st and another pick late in the second round. Use the 1st rounder on a pass rusher. That gives 4 picks in the 2nd round for a TE and a Safety/big CB, a WR and a BPA because someone is sure to drop and be a bargain.

If there is to be any trade, use that late pick in the 2nd plus the 3rd round pick and move up in the 2nd round.

As for RT, I think that will be Tom's position.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
13 Apr 2023 10:09
In other words he is telling Jets don't give up too much.... until after draft.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers very well could be the one who is “not allowing” the jets to just pull the trigger and give us what we want. They could have done it without his guidance to be patient.

If the deal was in place and then the jets backed out due to rodgers comments, that would be on the jets for reneging on the original deal in place.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers doesn't feel the need to rush this ahead because he does not intend to be at OTAs or the like. In fact, he would prefer having an excuse for not being there. :aok:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

May is a weird deadline because I still think that if it goes past the draft, it doesn't happen until June 1

I know that splitting the dead cap up slightly kicks a can, but the extra space this year could be split between rolling over to cover some costs of next year and making sure we have some low-cost additions at key spots with the remaining post-draft roster holes; nothing major, obviously, but just a couple low cost vets still on the market would be nice.

I'm thinking like Jarvis Landry, Matt Ryan, John Johnson III, Leonard Floyd, Matt Ionnidis, Duron Harmon, Justin Houston, Puna Ford, maybe be the team that takes a flier on DJ Fluker's comeback efforts

Just little tinkering like that. Nothing that breaks the bank or has long-term consequences

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Labrev wrote:
13 Apr 2023 11:08
Rodgers doesn't feel the need to rush this ahead because he does not intend to be at OTAs or the like. In fact, he would prefer having an excuse for not being there. :aok:
You said exactly what I was thinking :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think the “leverage” has shifted back to just about even now. Both sides know Erin won’t be going to OTAs.

Both sides gonna start getting real nervous come camp time when Rodgers is still on the packer pat roll, or the jets still just have Zach Wilson as QB on their roster.

Truly is a show down to see who blinks first. I really hope it’s not little gutey.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
13 Apr 2023 11:08
He is certainly getting what he wants; whatever that is. He could assure the Jets yesterday that he would play two years or more. But he hasn’t, that we know of.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Status quo edge belongs to GB. Still. I think maybe Guty is prepared to eat 12’s salary more than to yield to Jets demands. And I am good with that too.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Apr 2023 22:57
Status quo edge belongs to GB. Still. I think maybe Guty is prepared to eat 12’s salary more than to yield to Jets demands. And I am good with that too.
More than likely all the Jets are offering is one 2nd round pick. No other team was willing to give GB a first round pick but somebody will be interested if the price is only a conditional 2nd.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

If anyone is interested, the full Packers- Steelers SB game is on YouTube in HD. I was surprised by how good the video quality is. It was a great game, and very appropriate to watch Rodgers at his best. Clay and Nick Collins and Desmond Bishop had great games too.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

If Charles Robinson is right (and he has been one of the most accurate and early reporters on all things Packers-Rodgers for years)....

Gotta say a 2023 2nd and a 2024 1st is pretty good! That's a nice deal negotiated. I wanted a 1st and a 2nd in some form very badly, and here there is one.

I'd honestly prefer two 2023 2nds and a 2023 pick swap to getting a future 1st (basically swap the value of the 2024 1st for a 2023 2nd, which is pretty close, but since the 2023 2nd is early and the 2024 1st would be presumed late, and then the 1-round discount value of time, I could see the Jets valuing their 2023 2nd more than their 2024 1st--which is the same reason I also value it more)

So Gutey got a nice deal worked out, and I support him sticking to his guns on it. And now he needs to get it or some version of comparable value to the finish line, which is the time for the final evaluation.

Personally, I think theissues are between Rodgers and the Jets, not between the Jets and the Packers, but the Jets are playing so nice and recruity for Rodgers that they're trying to make them our problems.

How much will the contract be? (up to the player and his new team)
How long will he play for us? (up tot he player and his new team)

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Apr 2023 09:48
If Charles Robinson is right (and he has been one of the most accurate and early reporters on all things Packers-Rodgers for years)....

Gotta say a 2023 2nd and a 2024 1st is pretty good! That's a nice deal negotiated. I wanted a 1st and a 2nd in some form very badly, and here there is one.

I'd honestly prefer two 2023 2nds and a 2023 pick swap to getting a future 1st (basically swap the value of the 2024 1st for a 2023 2nd, which is pretty close, but since the 2023 2nd is early and the 2024 1st would be presumed late, and then the 1-round discount value of time, I could see the Jets valuing their 2023 2nd more than their 2024 1st--which is the same reason I also value it more)

So Gutey got a nice deal worked out, and I support him sticking to his guns on it. And now he needs to get it or some version of comparable value to the finish line, which is the time for the final evaluation.

Personally, I think theissues are between Rodgers and the Jets, not between the Jets and the Packers, but the Jets are playing so nice and recruity for Rodgers that they're trying to make them our problems.

How much will the contract be? (up to the player and his new team)
How long will he play for us? (up tot he player and his new team)
Didn't robinson say a third this year and a 1st next?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I wish this would finally get done, whatever , whatever, just cut the chord so we can move on, maybe on the first day of the draft, or all compensation will be 2024.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I see no reason in giving out any praise to Gute, or any criticism to Gute at the moment. I like to judge results at the finish line. Let’s see the final results. Hope he doesn’t screw this up!